Chapter 18 – Shadow Tree Sect
60 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

WT 18 - Shadow Tree sect

 

Heng Zhen Gan thought that he would put the matter to rest after sleeping, but it continues to linger in his mind the next day.

 

It was a good opportunity to send Liu Bing to Fruity Herb and create chances for him to speak to Miss Wan. Their gradual increase in interactions would have them develop some feelings between them.

 

Strangely, his mouth refused to speak those words to his student, remaining silent and contemplative.

 

Unwilling to dissect that decision of his, he passed it off as being considerate of not forcing Miss Wan to do what she had already. Even if he could destroy her trust in him that was based on liking him by doing so, he still hesitated.

 

Why was it difficult to abandon that complete trust directed to him? Was he that easily swayed with a streak of deviant that he had not noticed in having?

 

"You seem to be in deep thoughts lately."

 

Prince Heng gathered his thoughts and came back to reality. "Just something to ponder about."

 

"What is it that makes you ponder for so long?" Owner Yu asked rather interestedly as he poured a fresh cup of tea for Prince Heng.

 

Straightening his back, Prince Heng turned all his concentration to Owner Yu. "Sending a messenger and urging me to come over this early… do you have good news? If so, I truly underestimate your capability.”

 

Owner Yu was Heng Zhen Gan’s only friend that had a connection with Jianghu that he could trust. Both were actually school desk mates before Owner Yu joined Fruity Tree Sect when a cultivator noticed his innate talent in passing. He was the only one Heng Zhen Gan could rely on about this matter and act discreetly without alerting unwanted parties.

 

The easy-going smile on Owner Yu's face disappeared. "We have investigated which sect is so daring to harm people in the Guilin capital. It's the newly established dark sect, Shadow Tree."

 

Heng Zhen Gan was not concerned about the history of the Shadow Tree sect. "Will the orthodox sect send people over to clean them up?"

 

"Fruity Tree Sect will deal with them."

 

"Because you found out the trouble first?"

 

Owner Yu smiled. "Let's leave it at that?"

 

Heng Zhen Gan raised an eyebrow at his friend’s wording. "If you really don't want me to know, you would have done better in diverting my attention. I could not leave this alone as this also involves the safety of someone under my protection."

 

"We will also ensure that Miss Wan will be protected."

 

Prince Heng silently stared at Owner Yu, lazily fanning himself and a few strands of his hair moved under the wind. He looked as if he had all the time in the world and will stay here as long as he wants.

 

Owner Yu gave in rather quickly. "It's not a secret, but it's also our sect's dark stain."

 

The hand that was fanning himself stopped. Heng Zhen Gan wondered if he still had time to swallow back his need to know, but Owner Yu's stopper was already removed.

 

"Around thirty-three years ago, one of the sect elders and his disciple betrayed the sect and ran away with our sect's secrets. It was only recently that we knew they had founded the Shadow Tree, an evil sect that practiced the same line as our sect."

 

The traitorous sect elder and disciple had used the Fruity Tree's secret to bring rise to the dark sect. How can the Fruity Tree sect not be angry and desired to crush the evil sect, especially the traitorous master and disciple?

 

Heng Zhen Gan tapped the table with his fan. "Is that one of the reasons why you would come over to become a shop owner?"

 

"You can say that." Owner Yu helped to refill the empty teacups.

 

"Then I will have to trouble you." Heng Zhen Gan did not act politely at all.

 

Heng Zhen Gan will help in stopping the Shadow Tree sect, but it will not be good if the dark sect targets him. It would be good if Fruity Tree acted as the front and fought with the dark sect openly. While hidden in the shadows, Heng Zhen Gan will help out in toppling the Shadow Tree sect.

 

"My sect members and elders will be arriving in these few days, so please do not get alarmed. I will introduce them to you once they arrive."

 

"No need to bother them. As long as the people arriving are from your sect, there is no need for me to know.” He was the prime minister, not the gatekeeper. If the Emperor and ministers noticed their presence, he will speak out to calm down their wild imaginations. “If you need any assistance, do let me know."

 

֎֎֎

 

Wan Ting had wanted to speak to her mother right after she returned home from Prince Heng’s residence, but her father told her to let her mother rest. Her mother had not slept properly the night before, which made Wan Ting feel guilty.

 

She patiently waited until the next morning and was happy to see her mother was awake and does not seem to be in bad health. But for safety, she will not be following Mister Wan to work today.

 

“You look better today.” Madam Wan smiled when she saw her daughter.

 

Relieved that her father always sets out early in the day and gives the mother and daughter the opportunity to have private chat, Wan Ting took a seat beside her mother and immediately clings onto her arm. "Mother, you have not sent the marriage proposal to Sir Liu Bing yet, right?"

 

"I did say to let you think about it first. You have decided?" Madam Wan guessed that Wan Ting must have, for her to speak of this matter. 

 

Wan Ting unconsciously sighed in relief. She was afraid that her mother had disregarded her and proposed the engagement to Sir Liu Bing already.

 

"I decided not to marry Sir Liu Bing. He has a great future that your average daughter could not afford to share his bright fortune without bringing him shame. Let's pick someone more appropriate for our family. Since father is not returning to officialdom, we can just pick someone outside from the scholarly path."

 

Wan Ting had thought hard about that reason before seeking her mother. She had also practiced well to ensure she sounded sincere without making herself look forceful.

 

Madam Wan hesitated. "This… actually, I have told your father about having Sir Liu Bing as our son-in-law. Your father looks forward to it."

 

Wan Ting’s heart missed a beat but managed to maintain the natural smile on her face. "Father is just seduced by the current situation. Sir Liu Bing will definitely enter officialdom with Prince Heng as his strong backing. He will definitely swim around with those officials that have influenced father to accept… gifts. I dare not say about Prince Heng, but will Sir Liu Bing still follow his teacher's teachings then, when he faces those temptations and pressure from every side? A student will not necessarily grow up the same as the noble teacher."

 

Yes, he will never be the same as Prince Heng that pinned for the Empress Dowager for so many years, even when the lady in question was already married with children!

 

That thought nearly had Wan Ting shed tears. 

 

Wan Ting lowered her gaze, looking pitiful as she pleaded, "Mother, I dare not risk our family's lives if my husband dared to commit offenses that will take our entire family’s lives."

 

If Mister Wan was still an official, what Wan Ting said would certainly earn a scolding from Madam Wan and a beating from Mister Wan. But Mister Wan had been a dishonorable official for accepting bribery and nearly landed his entire family into a pot of boiling hot water. 

 

Madam Wan was already scared once from her husband’s incident; how would she dare to accept a future son-in-law that could possibly make the same mistake as her husband?

 

"...I will speak to your father. A good upbringing man from a humble merchant family is quite good."

 

Wan Ting smiled sweetly. "I dare not request much. Even a good man from a farmer family is fine, as long as he does not disdain our family.”

 

Madam Wan sighed and patted her daughter's hands. "A good man is a good husband, but we also want a son-in-law that can earn some money to support you and your children."

 

"Mother, I'm working too, so my future husband needs not to earn a lot of money. We can make an effort to seek someone with a good character instead."

 

"... Your mother knows." Madam Wan sighed again. If her husband’s case had not dragged up, their fate would have been very different. 

 

Wan Ting’s choice of husband would not be limited to such a manner that made Madam Wan’s heartache in pain for her daughter. 

 

 

1