Chapter 105 Picking up the Pieces
1.5k 5 36
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Van walked out of the tent, leaving Amie behind for some much-needed rest. She hadn’t gotten proper sleep in the past few days, and he made sure she was going to get some today. He did so by casting a sleeping spell on her after she tired herself after all the crying she did.

Taking a look around, Van was heartbroken to see most of the work done to make the fort go all for not. Many tents were burned down, the gate was broken down, the walls were broken in some places and everything else was in shambles.

He made his way around, stopping at the many neat rows of corpses of his fallen goblins.

“How many did we lose…” he asked, his voice a bare whisper.

Isa had followed him as he left and it was she who answered his question. “Out of the seventy-five we originally had… we lost twelve in the cavern… then we lost another fifty-one… leaving us with twelve… half of which were wounded, and half of those wounded… they are not going to survive and are probably going to be put down…”

Van turned to her in disbelief. “You're saying we barely have a dozen goblins left, and about a quarter of the ones we half left are going to die!?”

“If we are lucky…” Isa said, then changed the subject. “At least half of the ones who died practiced mana core cultivation. We were able to extract them for use later,” she said pointing at a bloody bowl filled with mana cores. As if it was some sort of consolation. “We were also able to extract a number of mana cores from the dead troglodytes, which was a nice plus.”

Van stared at her in disbelief, he couldn’t believe how callous she was acting towards the fact that so many of her comrades died just like that. Even going so far as to make use of their bodies like some sort of resource.

But looking at her hard enough, he noticed she too didn’t like this, and instead had grown hard over the past few days. Not to mention… she was a goblin… she was probably used to this kind of thing.

It was moments like these that really hit home what kind of world he was living in. Sometimes he wished he was born in a nicer and kinder world. There was even a dark part of his mind that was thankful that it was just the nameless masses of goblins and not anyone he knew personally. He felt sick just thinking about it like that.

“Did… did the hobgoblins we worked on… did they survive?” he asked.

Isa shook her head. “None of them survived. They gave better than most though, and without them, we would have fared worse. They gave their lives to stem the tide of defeat, holding the line while Luna did that… strange ritual of hers…”

Van didn’t know what she was talking about, his mind was still a bit fuzzy on everything. But he left it at that, more interested in staring at the field of his fallen comrades as he did his best to take in everything and make sense of it.

Looking around he noticed something missing. “Where are the troglodytes?” he asked.

“Their corpses were put in another pile, as for the few that surrendered we put them somewhere else,” Isa said.

“Show me.”

Isa nodded, leading him over to a makeshift tent.

Upon entering Van noticed about twenty-two troglodytes in a makeshift wooden cage. If they had half a mind to, they probably could have busted through, killed the guards who were only two hobgoblins of the lesser tier, one of which was wounded, and made their way out. But they didn’t.

Van stared, confused and his anger slowly beginning to boil at the sight of the monsters that took almost everything from him. His eyes looked deep into their defeated ones.

“After the battle and the loss of their elder, the fighting spirit of the stone-kin was gone. Most surrendered, the ones that didn’t, we killed. After that, we got rid of any of the feral ones, and these are the ones left after all of that.” Isa said, pointing out the troglodytes.

The troglodytes in question did not fight Van’s gaze. They instead submitted to it. As if they have given up on living and were prepared for their fate, whatever it may be.

Van’s eyes roamed the cage until it settled on what he could only presume was a greater troglodyte and the closest thing they had to a leader within their group. “You, come forward,” he said.

The troglodyte in question hesitated, but slowly got up and walked over until she was just a foot away from the wooden walls that made up the cage. Her face was clear for him to see.

She looked not much different than any other woman. A little taller than a hobgoblin and almost as cute, with an athletic build and some curves. Her skin was smooth and she had two little horns on top of her head with vibrant and large yellow eyes and black hair that fell well past her shoulders and near her butt as if she never cut it before. While it was true her skin was greyish and looked deceptively hard, he could tell it was actually soft from a glance. She wore rags, which seemed to be a common theme amongst the poorer monster-kin races, though it did seem it was of slightly better quality.

Van stared into those large yellow eyes. “Why did your kind attack us? Did we do something to you that warranted such a thing? Why did your leaders not wish to negotiate with us? Did we do something bad when we intruded upon your home? Why did you surrender, you really trust us not to take advantage of that and kill you all?” he asked in a clinical and dispassionate voice. More interested in the answers that he might receive.

The troglodyte hesitated, and looked a little lost and confused by the bombardment of questions. She was silent for a while until Van ordered her to speak.

The troglodyte spoke in a nervous but strangely melodious voice. “As… far as I’m aware… the mothers only wanted a male… it had been many decades since they had one… not since they were banished. As to why… I do not know…” she said, worried that her lack of knowledge might anger Van. but when he didn’t respond she continued.

“We have been away from civilization for so long, most of us have gone feral, including the mothers to some degree… they were probably just not thinking straight when they attacked, more desperate than anything.” she then continued.

“As to why we surrendered… It was my idea… after all the mothers were killed, my sister's fighting spirit was ruined. And with all of us here, after losing so much, we would not be able to survive alone… I convinced my sisters to surrender… in the hopes that there might be some form of survival for them. Even if it means risking our lives or becoming slaves.” she finished.

“I see… so are you saying that there are no more troglodytes in the cavern? That all of you were called here and this is what is left?” Van asked.

The troglodyte nodded but then hesitated. “There are the leftover eggs… they still remain in the cavern.”

Van nodded as if in understanding, then his eyes widened as something dawned on him and he turned to Isa who was patiently waiting. “Are our eggs okay? How many did we have left!” he asked, concern in his voice.

“They're fine. We only have a dozen anyway. Ten goblin and two harpy eggs.” Isa said.

“Right… because I didn’t do what I had to do… there are so few…” Van said softly to himself. Beating himself up a little inside.

He then shook it off, returned to his stoic expression, and asked a few more questions of the troglodyte. “How many eggs do you have in the cavern?”

“I… do not know the exact numbers… but we should still have over a hundred or so left. Most of them are ready to be born as fully grown adults since they have been in hibernation for a few years, some even a few decades…” she said.

“I see…” Van said, taking a deep breath and exhaling it out. Wondering what he was going to do with all this information. “What were you truly hoping to get out of this? I know you said you would even accept being slaves, but surely that was only at the least, as something more preferable to death... So what did you really want, or hope for?” he asked, curious as to how she would answer.

“We were hoping that… we would be able to serve you… we have no one left to follow, and you are the only male we know of. Without you, our kind will die or worse, go feral. You are our only hope and… we beg you for mercy…” she said, knowing full well that she and her kind did, but bravely asking anyway for the sake of her sisters.

Anger flowed through Van’s veins, filled with a desire to make her regret asking such a thing. “How dare these things beg for mercy after what they did. Asking me for forgiveness with large pleading eyes, I wonder how those eyes would look when she’s scarfing down my cock!” he could just imagine now. His eyes danced with the possibilities and positions he would put her through.

He blinked, eyes widening in horror then violently shook his head as a shiver ran down his spine, much to the confusion of everyone watching. “What was that!?” He then brought a hand to his eye and gently probed it. It felt like a change came upon him, like his anger turned into lust. He also felt a strange hunger. “Do I want to… drink her blood?” he now looked down at both hands as if truly seeing them for the first time. “How much did I change when I awakened my incubi blood? And this desire for blood? Is this because I ranked up my dhampir bloodline? Is this something all vampires have to deal with? Or just me because I’m not used to it?”

“Master? Are you okay?” Isa asked with worry at the sudden changes in her master's expression.

“I'm fine… just a dizzy spell… I’ll rest up properly later,” he said then gave a proper look to the troglodyte. “Open the cage,” he said to Isa without turning her way.

“Huh?” Isa asked, confused and perhaps even a little more worried.

“Open the cage… please...” he said, his voice brokering no argument.

Isa hesitated but did as her master bid, opening the cage.

Now Van and the troglodyte were face to face, with nothing to impede their gaze.

Van took another deep breath and let it out as the troglodyte looked nervously at the now open space between him and her. He thought long and hard, taking several mental steps back to properly think about all of this logically. After a few moments of tense silence, he addressed her.

“So… you want to serve me… I accept…” he said, much to the shock of everyone watching. “But are you really willing to give me your life? To serve me and even die for me if necessary?” he asked with a serious tone to his voice.

The troglodyte looked up at him, she then looked away, her expression hardened, and then she returned his pointed look with a determined one. “Yes… I am willing to die if it means saving my sisters.”

Van slowly shook his head. “Not just you… all of you… are all of you willing to serve me and die for me?”

The troglodyte hesitated and looked back to her many sisters. Slowly, one after the other, her sisters stood up or nodded in support of her. The mere fact that her sisters put so much faith in her, touched her so much, that she felt both relief, and the weight of responsibility all at once.

She turned back to Van and gave him her answer. “We will serve you with our lives if you would have us,” she said, taking the knee.

With a will, Van formed a ball of his blood and broke it into many pieces. Those pieces then hit the foreheads of each and every troglodyte leaving a bloody splotch. The blood then seeped into their foreheads and a look of discomfort crossed their expression for a moment before passing.

“It feels a little different now, now that I have so much more control over my blood magic. Before I had to manually give a drop of my blood to each and every one of my goblins on their foreheads to bind them to me. It became such a hassle that I just gave Isa a vial of my blood so she could mark new goblins and the eggs in my place.” he thought, thinking back.

Now that his blood had seeped into their mind, he felt the same weak connection he felt to most of his goblins.

But he wasn’t done yet. “I really don’t want to do this, but she does seem honorable at the least…” Van sighed, and with great reluctance called forward the troglodyte in question.

“Y-yes?” the troglodyte asked, a little relieved but also a little nervous now that she and her sisters were under the command of their new master.

Van poured out some more of his blood, but this time more concentrated and with a proper amount of mana filled with intention. “Open your mouth,” he said, not bothering to explain himself.

Hesitantly she did and Van poured the blood in, making sure she swallowed. “I give you the name… Sela… use it well…” as he felt the blood binding and the name take effect.

Sela’s eyes bulged as power coursed through her body. It immediately went through a few changes. Such as gaining a few more inches, her breasts a little bigger, a little more stronger, and her horns growing just a touch. She also took on a slightly more regal air as she went from a greater troglodyte to a high troglodyte. Just a step away from becoming an arch troglodyte.

She absently wondered why she didn’t become a troll or gargoyle. But it was of no concern now. After a few minutes, she took the knee and was just about to profusely thank her master when he stopped her.

“No need for that. I don’t want to hear it. The only reason why I did this was because I needed a clear leader for your sisters. From now on, you're in charge of them, should they fail, you will as well. Remember that.” Van said sternly.

“I understand, master! We will not fail you!” she said with a hint of zealotry in her voice. As the other troglodytes looked on in wonder.

“First order of business, are there any resources such as iron in your cavern? Or any other metals or valuables that can be mined or gathered?” Van asked Sela.

Sela shook her head, sad that she wouldn’t be able to give what her master wanted. “I’m sorry master, we do not have a lot of natural resources in the cavern. I think there might be a few iron outcroppings, but not in quantities large enough to outfit your goblins.” she then hesitated, “from before we attacked.”

Then as if she had a lightbulb moment. “But I do remember that we have a small pile of treasure that the mothers accumulated over the years from the deceased adventurers that died in the cavern and forest. Not to mention some things they brought with them from before they were banished. I’m sure there are some valuables and old equipment that can be recycled or reused.” she said excitedly.

“Hmm, good. I want you to go back to your cavern and bring back everything of value. Food, clothes, equipment, anything. I also want you to bring back that pile of treasure you talked about and all of your eggs, don’t leave a single one behind. Finally, after you are done with that, you will split your group into two and one will go mine whatever little ore is in your cavern for the next few days while the rest will stay and help make the repairs and guard the fort. Is there anything you do not understand or need me to make clear about my orders?”

Sela shook her head. “No, I understand you perfectly master! I will get on it right away!” she then turned and started to order her sisters out.

Van turned to the guards that were watching over the now useless cage. “Tell everyone that the troglodytes are now on our side and to not attack them. After that get some food and rest and await further orders.

The guards saluted and started to help Sela lead the troglodytes out of the tent. After that last one left, Isa finally spoke her mind.

“Is it wise to do this master?” she asked with concern.

“We have no choice, Isa. And before you say anything, yes, I know. I know we should leave, that the game has changed… we lost so much… almost more than eighty percent of our forces… it would be logical to leave… but… Lyn wouldn’t… she still has her war to fight, and she won’t leave it, even for me. And I won’t leave her. So we will stay… and I will climb up from this defeat. I will be stronger. I will turn this around and prove to not just myself but to everyone that I can come out on top, no matter the odds… I have to…”

“Not to mention… If I turn back now… I fear that I…” Van couldn’t say it. His emotions on the matter were just too complicated. His hand formed a fist and tightened before relaxing again and he sighed.

He turned to Isa. “Isa… do you trust me?”

“With my life,” she said, as if it was the most obvious answer, but also with a kind tone to her voice, doing her best to convey her trust in him.

“Thank you…” his expression turned soft, he then bent down and gave her a kiss on the forehead. Then parting he said. “Let’s get going, there is still much for us to do, things to go over, people to talk to, and plans to make.”

“Just lead the way. I will follow.” Isa said with a gentle smile.

Van returned the smile and the two slowly turned to walk out of the tent. The exchange did much to help with Van’s Anxiety and worry. Though he still couldn’t get the fears that plagued his heart, he walked forward, determined to not let the sacrifices of those who died go in vain. He will make sure that he will become a better leader, for their sake.

if you like my work please make sure to rate and follow. it really helps. also, if you want to read ahead, please visit my Patreon. links below. there are two free chapters on my Patreon as well.

https://www.patreon.com/Vransolis

if you have any questions, don't be afraid to ask.

any suggestions? post them down below.

Special thanks to my Patreon members

- Clown44 - Thomas Menegatti - Ddraig Wynn - Placid -

for all your support! =)

36