Chapter 4
488 3 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It's the year 2008.

Specifically, today is the day that Professor Oak said we would start our journey separately, just like in the show.

So I woke up early to contemplate my choice between the Squirtle, Bulbasaur, and Charmander.

This choice will be crucial to the start of my journey, meaning it will be one of the most important decisions I ever make in my life.

I was already at the entrance to outside of Professor Oak's residence, his lab. 

However, I had to wait as I woke up around four in the morning to get a better chance at choosing my starter.

As I waited, I enjoy the warm breeze passing by me as I watched the sunrise off in the distance.

These four years were hectic for me. 

Every day I would try and figure what cheat God gave me but to no avail.

Instead, I was messing around with Ash and Gary felt nice since I was smarter than both, especially Ash.

We didn't even go to school since Pallet town was a small town.

So I had to learn from Professor Oak about the world of Pokémon. 

I was excited about Mega evolution as I hope to get a mega stone when I could so I could see the real deal, but my hopes were crushed as I went through countless research on the internet only to find no information on Mega evolution or Dynamax. 

It's as if they don't exist in this world or it hasn't been discovered yet.

I even found out about the world's geography, finding out Kanto shared a continent with three other regions. 

Sinnoh is in the north, Johto to the west, and Hoenn to the southwest of Kanto. The continent was called Indigo.

Kalos and Galar were on the same continent, with Kalos being to the north of Galar. The continent was called Kagar.

Unova was on its own continent by itself in between Indigo and Kagar with the Alolan region to the south of Unova. Near the equator of the world of Pokémon.

Not far to the Northwest of the Alolan region is the Sevii islands, while to the southwest of the Alolan region is the orange islands.

Knowing this doesn't affect my plans as my first step in becoming the world's best trainer is to fight in the Indigo league, which combines all the Indigo continent trainers in a continental league.

To participate in the continental league to earn the right to fight the continent's champion, beating them and becoming the continent champion.

One must first collect the eight gym badges of all-regions on the continent before participating in the continental league. 

There is also a regional league to become a regional champion, but one of its benefits is its status in their region.

 Only people whose birthplace was in that region could become that region's champion. 

An example would be someone who was born in the Johto region can't become Kanto's champion.

Another benefit of becoming a regional champion is when the continental league is held, and you still have the position of champion of your region. 

Even if you don't have the badges from the other regions' gyms, you can bypass the continental league's preliminaries, which happens only once every three years.

But you still have to defend against the countless trainer trying to become the region's champion—day after day.

The benefit of becoming the continental champion is to be able to bypass the preliminaries of the continental championship while also including the status of a continental champion.

However, unlike the regional champion, which is switched often if you had become the continental champion at least once, you will bypass the world league's preliminaries even if you are not the current continental champion.

The continental championships are held every nine to twelve years. As for why there is not an exact date, I have no clue.

But the purpose of my journey on being the best trainer there ever was, is to help me find more about the disappearance of my mother.

The day I woke up with memories, I questioned my father on the whereabouts of my mother.

He told me that my mother was a field researcher for a private company researching a monument somewhere in the Indigo continent.

However, when my mother met my father, she quit her job to raise a family off in the countryside.

But around three years after my birth, she mysteriously disappeared, leaving no trace behind.

My relatives on my mother's side of the family did not get along with her, so I never met her side of the family since they hated my father.

On the other hand, my father was an orphan.

It's time as I hear the wake-up calls from the Taurus for the fields.

I was about to knock on the door when Professor Oak opened it.

"I figured you would be here early but not this early, Shawn. Couldn't wait to start, huh?" 

"That's right. I didn't sleep the entire night." 

As I enter, Professor Oak looked at me while sighing and shaking his head, "As a new trainer, you must remember the great responsibility that you carry with your Pokémon and......"

As Professor Oak rambles off on responsibilities, walked towards the lab, as we turned a corner, my eyes were focused on the three Pokeballs on top of the metal table.

A while later, Professor Oak stops his rambling, finally grabbing one of the three Pokeballs, before summoning the Pokémon within it. 

As the flash of light disappears, the figure turns into a blue bipedal turtle.

Squirtle!

Professor Oak continues unleashing the Pokémon until all three starters were in front of me. 

I stared at them, and in return, the plant, turtle, and lizard stared back.

I couldn't decide between them. All of them were sufficient to start out with, but the Pokémon themselves had feelings and talents. I couldn't choose the one incapable of battle.

As I continue to look at them, a window appeared in front of me.

It took me by surprise at first, but I realized this must be my cheat as I looked into the three windows in front of me.

Charmander - Uncommon

Lv 5  

Hp 41

Atk 52

Def 43

Sp. Atk 68

Sp. Def 50

Spd 61

CS 3

 

Squirtle - Uncommon

Lv 5  

Hp 44

Atk 44

Def 68

Sp. Atk 57

Sp. Def 64

Spd 43

CS 5

Bulbasaur - Epic

Lv 5  

Hp 60

Atk 50

Def 50

Sp. Atk 68

Sp. Def 68

Spd 50

CS 7

As I glanced at the windows' information, I remembered information from my previous life that the Pokémon games would show you your Pokémon's information in the game.

As for what it would show your Pokémon's Health points, Attack, Defense, etc.

As for what it was, the stats, but you could also know your Pokémon's nature, allowing you to understand where your Pokémon would exceed in their move sets.

However, it seems my power does not include the Pokémon's nature.

It also doesn't allow me to know the Pokémon's inherent ability like Geodude's Sturdy. 

Speaking of my power, it seems to have triggered when I was staring intensely at the starter Pokémon.

Looking at the information, there was something different, such as the word Uncommon and Epic, that never existed in the games. 

Knowing a couple of card games that use such terms, like that game from supercell, they had common cards, rare cards, epic cards, and legendary cards.

Considering that knowledge, it could mean the Pokémon's rarity.

However, that can not be the case as there shouldn't be a shortage of Bulbasaur's compared to Squirtle and Charmander.

This means the only other thing I could determine from the set of information from the panels is that the terms common and epic determine the Pokémon's strength or talent. I won't know till I experiment more.

"Ahem..." 

Mr. Oak's cough interrupted my thought process, but the cough gave off the meaning that I don't have all the time in the world as the other trainers might get here before I could try out the different information.

Looking back at the set of information in the panels, at the bottom, there was a set of abbreviations I didn't know what they stood for, so I tried staring at them, seeing if I could get something to pop up.

I didn't want to try touching the panel while being in front of Professor Oak.

Something did pop up.

Combat Strength

  • The combination of combat experience, combat power, and talent that a Pokémon has. 

So as Pokémon level up, its Combat Strength will increase, well that's a given. 

Still, Combat experience is probably referring to the number of battles the Pokémon has under its belt and any training it has gone through.

Which leaves talent, probably just the comprehension a Pokémon has because no matter how many battles a Pokémon goes through, it would end up meaningless it doesn't learn anything from it, and that would also be the case with training, 

Nodding as I confirmed my thoughts, 

"I've decided, Professor Oak!" as I looked at that starters with gaze lingering on Charmander. As much as I wanted to choose Charmander because it looked cool, I had to get as much as an advantage as I could for my goals. As continued glancing over them before my gaze finally stood still on Bulbasaur.

As if understanding the intention through my gaze, it yells happily, Bulbasaur! as Bulbasaur jumps into my embrace.

9