Chapter 16 – Nerd and Weakling
35 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 16 – Nerd and Weakling

 

“Energy Cycling Palm.” Mimosa became aghast from what the figure was going to do. He felt that it was impossible to meet that big with just a palm. Worst, it was slow to where both gorilla and Mimosa could see its trajectory. However, the unthinkable had happened.

When the palm met the body of the animal, a small whirlpool appeared. The whirlpool blocked the animal and bounced it back to a distance.

“You are that strong?” Asked Jigen to Nina. He saw the also astounded animal.

Nina shook her head. “Not that strong. This art can only repel at most. My right hand is already numb and I can only do this one more time using my left.”

“It’s coming!”

Roar! Once again, it crouched as blood pumped on its legs.

Air compressed behind them. A fist with a strong momentum went towards Jigen. Nina’s right hand pulled Jigen closer while her other hand blocks the incoming attack. The small whirlpool appeared again. But this time it could not stop the fist at all.

Peng. The duo flew up in air.

The beast didn’t stop at all. He resumed its attack towards the scared Mimosa.

Mimosa wobbled and slipped, unexpectedly dodging the gorilla.

This incensed the gorilla. It was repeatedly being dodged or blocked by these little squirts. The animal just wanted to eat them because it felt the energy inside their bodies. It had the feeling that the more energy it consumed, the stronger it gets.

But to think that every time he attacked; these kids surprisingly kept getting away.

There was also the wind restricting him. Thinking about the previous kids it killed, they also gave it a hard time.

The gorilla roared and its enormous arms snaked towards Mimosa.

It caught the boy before throwing him towards the mountain wall. Mimosa cried in alarm before fainting midair. Then a petite arm hug him tight before he hit the solid wall.

Boom. Nina and Mimosa’s body slid down.

But Nina ate more of the impact. She groaned and looked helpless as both of their body carried by the winds.

Suddenly, a strange fluctuation appeared behind duo.

“Ugh. My dad is going to beat me for this if known!”

A cloud of smoke appeared. Then, a metallic arm with several runes shot out from the smoke and hugged the duo.

The smoke dispersed because of strong winds. When the smoke finally cleared, the animal found itself staring on a metallic figure—huge metal form in human shape. The figure had a kind of charm, difficult to put into words. There were gears grinding, its robotic joints clicking, and its facial features were blank yet menacing. Its red pair of laser eyes looked at the animal.

Amidst the fierce winds, two enormous figures stood opposite to each other. It was at a standstill.

But in the next second, they charged and collided with each other.

Both children on the back of the Construct felt the impact. The gorilla tried to grab its opponent but the metallic figure was quite nimble and out-grab it.

What happened next was incomprehensible for both Nina and the creature. The latter felt a huge force passed through its arm. A metallic arm lifted the animal before throwing him down to the ground.

The creature groaned. Jigen stomped, but the animal rolled. It looked shock when it discovered that the ground cracked.

“Construct–Suit Type, C0 Prototype.”

Fumes exited behind the C0 Prototype. Similar to propulsion, the construct flew towards the beast with quick speed. Jigen kneed the creature before it could react.

The animal gawked and was thrown a couple of meters before it was able to stabilize. Confusion was apparent in its eyes, but the boy didn’t give him time. Or rather, the boy had only limited time.

“It was harder to control than I thought.” Jigen spoke in his mind. I haven’t finished the third level of my foundation arts, that’s why. Jigen felt himself crying.

Against other students, he knew that it was impossible for them to scratch his trump card. But against this being who he thought was on Master Level, he could only shake his head.

He already saw himself being beaten up by his father when he brought back the battered construct.

“Three minutes. I’ll to have end this in three minutes.”

Bang.

The boy rushed again towards the animal. Fists and legs were thrown unceasingly. Brute fest and collision of bodies akin to wrestles of animals.

Nevertheless, the animal was more proficient and brutal in its attacks.

“Shit, shit. It still not three minutes, but I’m being beaten already!” After a few exchanges, Jigen was already feeling dizzy. He held himself from vomiting.

“This can’t continue!”

Jigen knew that he would surely lose if he didn’t do something. But he was out of idea and chosen to flee. He shouted. “Nina, run!”

Hearing him, Nina hastily jumped from his back and dragged Mimosa. A moment later, a powerful arm pulled them before dashing towards the other end of the valley. Just next behind them was the figure of the gorilla.

The closer they were to the other end, the fiercer the winds. Sometimes small rocks flew towards them with neck breaking speed.

Pshk. Ting.

Blood spilled. Eerie sound of flesh being cut sounded. There was also grating noise of metal against metal.

Jigen wasn’t able to protect his team mates entirely. He can only try to hug them as much as he could.

From behind, the gorilla was also mutilated in many parts. It only survived because of its unbelievably tough body and also because it hid behind Jigen so the latter were more affected.

The cat and mouse continued until they were on the verge of exiting the winding valley. Blood drenched their bodies as if they came out from hell. Multiple cuts were drawn in the construct. Some were so deep that Jigen became visible.

Right at the exit, the wind become so strong that Jigen lost his grip. The worst was his time was up and the construct deconstructed into a small cube. Nina and Mimosa rolled to the ground.

Nina immediately stood up, only to see the gorilla crouching down. She shuddered.

The monster was full of malice and greed as it stared at its next meal. It was struggling against the winds but still continued its action.

Bang. It headed towards Jigen, the one who troubled him the most.

In that moment, the time froze.

“Nooo!” The shadow of the gorilla printed on the despairing eyes of the boy. His mind seemed to be blank and face as pale as paper while death approached him. He couldn’t even close his eyes as he slumped in the ground.

But in that very second, a familiar petite figure appeared before him accompanied by another body.

Bang!

The two bodies catapulted towards Jigen and dragged his frame towards the valley’s end.

As for the gorilla, it was once again carried by wind to the opposite direction. And this time, this distance became the cliff that separated them. It roared unwillingly.

Groaning, Jigen hugged the shrimping Nina and the tearing Mimosa.

“You!” Jigen’s pupils dilated, he hurriedly held Nina. She fainted and her hand bent in weird direction. A lot of blood streamed from Nina’s mouth and nose.

He also saw the strange green powers that Mimosa kept injecting in the girl. Nina’s face slowly returned to its healthy hue, but he could see that Mimosa paid a heavy price from his pale face.

“I-I won’t let you die…” This was the first time Mimosa spoke. It was small and weak voice. However, it was filled with conviction.

Blinding lights shone on his strength-filled eyes. He collapsed, but his hands held Nina’s hands tightly.

Trembling, Jigen’s tears poured out. “Y-You, you…”

In all his life, he saw nerds and weaklings as someone to be bullied or avoid. He was too carried away by his useless knowledge and thought he didn’t have to be best. He just needed to be better than some.

But right now, these two kinds of people he didn’t like showed him what he was lacking.

He lifted the two of them on his shoulder. Heavy, but his feelings were heavier as he took his steps further from that damnable place.

Little Atasha spaced out. Silence stood beside her. She kept nudging the unmoving body beside her. Looking around her, same situations were happening. In one location, a crying female kept on digging on the rabble as she held her lover’s body. On another, a boy kept on shouting on his father but her mother was just crying, hugging him tight. As for his father, he was in the distance. He stood there, unmoving, with arms spread wide open and smoke dispersing outside his body. In front of him was a crevice, dragged a few meters away.

“Mama, wake up.”

“Mama, I’m sorry, I won’t be naughty anymore. Wake up.”

“Mama, please, wake up.”

Gradually, understanding filled her. Her teardrops continued falling because she now knew her reality.

Green Palm Tree saw these. Above him was a massive palm tree, covering the whole county. It was like an umbrella preventing the rain. There were many burns and destroyed branches. It blocked most of the damage.

However, Green Palm Tree wasn’t satisfied.

Together with his partner, Jade Hands, they left a day earlier because they already had their fun. They also didn’t bother waiting for the wedding. Because with their strength, only few worldly affairs mattered to them.

They didn’t expect that something like this would happen. And it was too late when they arrived.

“Damn it.” Palm Tree gripped his fist hard. He regretted that he wasn’t proficient in speed. He regretted for leaving a day earlier.

Green Palm Tree could only use his power to heal those alive.

Green motes of light appeared from the tree and fell down. Suddenly, those who were slightly injured saw their injuries healed instantly and those with heavy injuries were nursed back to life.

“I’m just a little palm tree.…”

“I was too tiny that I shook…”

“And hoped for the rain to stop…”

“I dreamt of a safe home where I can see the sunshine.”

“But I’m just a little palm tree…”

“I’d dried up and my eyes are blurry.”

“I’m scared…”

“Still, I’m scared.”

He whispered. He always looked youthful. But this time, solitude and exhaustion appeared on his frame.

It was only a few seconds when he recovered. But he covered his teary face with hate as he stared at the being who did this.

“Have you made your coffin?”

“HUH? CAIN?!!”

Thunder roared as incomparable aura surrounded the whole county. It was strong, so strong that Jade Hands and Cain flinched.

“Damn.” Cain knew that guy was. Green Palm Tree may not be one of the top dogs in the world, but he was close to it. He was unlike Jade Hands who just entered the Venerable Level. He was on this level for a long time.

“All of you are just BULLIES!” Cain roared as he immediately stepped back. In one second, he was already tens of miles away. It caught Jade Hands off-guard by his decisiveness and wasn’t able to keep up.

However, a gigantic fist followed him. No, looking closely, it wasn’t a fist but an enormous palm tree!

“DAMN YOU.” Seeing this, Cain knew that he couldn’t escape and would only be defeated if he didn’t take on Green Palm Tree’s attack.

He knew that guy’s power. It was life. Life was persistent, and evading it wasn’t a good tactic. And only by destroying life he could have a chance!

Roar. Thus, Cain countered attack instead. He dashed forwards as its gigantic frame became a blur.

Bang.

Two enormous objects collided!

One shadow after another. They kept coming as Von slashed his way in. He was wielding a blade. But it seemed he was not proficient. He could only thank his fast speed and agility that he could live in this game of cat and mouse.

Von was inferring on his mind what were the shadows before him. It was a strange power compared to the Spells and Combat Arts of humanity. They have bodies and could be killed relatively easy, but they have numbers and strange techniques.

This was how different demons were.

Yes, demons. A race of demons. They were the anti-thesis of humans. Their hateful enemies.

“Are they asking for a beating? They dare plot against us? Humans were far stronger now.”

“Something’s wrong.” His face changed. “Whatever they are plotting, is far scarier than what I can imagine. Thank goodness. I didn’t let everyone exit the realm. They are safer inside.”

There was plenty of space to travel around the school grounds. Von’s arm was numbed as he kept slashing the shadows darting on his sides. He was only using pure speed, but this enervated him gradually. Even though he wanted to run, Grimo had formed a large barrier.

The guy was just strolling behind him, maintaining a distance. Von wanted nothing else but to behead him. But he wasn’t sure if he could kill him instantly. His opponents still hidden his cards. Also, he could make use of the barrier because it also shielded them from the outside. Judging from its power, Von concluded that it could withstand one or two moves from a Venerable, separating them from the chaos outside.

It was perfect, and the only thing he needed to was to endure. Unfortunately, he wasn’t a combatant. He was a Wizard.

Gritting his teeth, Von crouched down as he dodged the opponent’s kick. He liked cleanliness, but this time, he didn’t mind the dusts on his face. Another shadow slid down to kick him. Von pushed down and flew straight up. But a shadow was already there and was holding a sword. The teacher’s eyes contracted as he saw the tip of the sword inching closer.

Whoosh. A neck breaking noise sounded. The shadow blank face stared at Von’s eyes. He still hadn’t responded to his own death.

Von was panting. Such exercise was arduous for him. “I’m not a Combatant at the end of the day. I need to pull one of my cards.” Exhaling, a giant ruler-like sword floated. It encircled around him like it owned a spirit.

“Aha.” The hood still covered Grimo’s face, but he was smiling widely right now. “The legendary Flying Sword Spell Art of Deity of Hopes and Dreams. Truly magnificent.”

Von didn’t like his tone. Thus, he showed them what this Spell Art all about.

Whoosh.

Grimo surrounded himself with a couple of dozens of shadows, but the huge sword sliced its way in. Even the columns weren’t spared.

Dang. Cement exploded. Grimo accompanied it as he backed up. All of his shadow blocked the incoming threat. Eyes narrowed, he kept flicking his sleeves as more and more shadows appeared and poured in front of him.

Even though all of these were useless, Grimo was nonetheless smiling.

The Illusory Realm had changed at the same time Grimo arrived. The forest they arrived in slowly changed its appearance as they went deeper. Eerie cackling and hooting sounded. Trees’ trunk deformed into a human-like face. Even the liveliness of nature was no more.

Ben was getting goosebumps as the night approached. The dried-up face beside him made his skin crawled but he couldn’t do anything because it was his guard shift. Deeper in the blades of bushes, the inky black darkness slowly creeped towards him. And when he glanced back, he saw several pairs of eyes looking at him. He screamed and alerted his teammates. However, the eyes were gone the moment they arrived.

Thus, Sarah and Jed could only stop what they were doing. Instead, they helped Ben in guarding the perimeter.

However, prying eyes didn’t stop. The three of them sensed something looking at them for a long, long time. This made their skin crawled. They knew that their teacher had made a mistake. The realm was changing and they could feel a level of threat. And they didn’t even know what was happening outside that their teacher busied himself.

“This feels like… when I faced that Beast!” Sarah’s mind raced. She felt jubilant and scared at the same time. It was an exhilarating feeling for the girl. In fact, her face flushed as she waited for something to happen.

Jed became speechless at Sarah’s reaction. He felt a coldness on his back. Pupils peering in the dark, his thoughts were everywhere.

“It is the same as that day.” He experienced this when the burning flames coated everything on the way. It should be hot, but his heart freezing.

The bushes moved. An air splitting sound surprised the trio. A sharp object suddenly plunged on Sarah.

The latter snorted. She dodged in a split second and it was only her shoulder was grazed. She clicked her tongue, but she immediately reacted. Her fist flew, but the figure before her became a blur.

Whoosh. Another air splitting sound emerged, but this time it was on her back. Sarah was on guard right now and dodged the object. This time, she finally saw that it was a dagger. She tried to grab the dagger, but the attacker decisively released it.

However, the attacker didn’t expect that another guy could match him with speed.

A sudden thrust inched towards his face. He bent his head and dove to the ground. Jed’s eyes were cold and kicked. But the attacker was like a snake. He crawled his own in the ground, easily dodging the kick.

Ben finally woke up from his stupor and rushed towards the attacker. Alas, he was too slow, and the attacker was already behind Sarah again.

Sarah noticed this and do a spinning kick. The attacker saw an opening, but it was actually a bait from Sarah. Another leg met his face, throwing him off the ground. When he landed, Jed was already there waiting.

Sparks flew. The attacker brought out another dagger from his wrist and parried Jed. Jed kicked, but the former did the same. The boy elbowed but the attacker counter elbowed him.

Their incredible movements fascinated Ben and stood there in shock. Sarah, on the other hand, had already rushed like wind.

The attacker was surprised by her attack and was thrown once again. But this time, a dagger flashed from his hand and shot towards Sarah. The girl wasn’t confounded and quickly bended over.

This time, no one rushed. The three, along with the onlooker Ben, caught eye to eye.

“Who are you?” Sarah asked. She exhaled a mouthful of air from the pain on her shoulders.

Sarah didn’t really have to ask him who he was. She already knew that he was an assassin that targeted her. The only reason she asked because of the guy’s hesitation.

“You could have poison dagger, or used variety of tricks. And that will surely kill me.” Sarah stated. She calmed her nerves. She broke the standoff by walking towards her attacker.

“You are one of us.” Sarah stated once again. Both Jed and Ben were shocked by this. But clearly, they could judge that was the case. Because Von only granted the students an entrance in the realm.

Thus, they were caught off guard when Sarah attacked. It was like a volcano, erupting its full fury. The attacker also didn’t expect this because he was so shocked by her revelation.

Bang. The assassin felt his inside churned and a mouthful of blood spurted from his mouth and nose.

Peng. Another kick landed and the guy bended over from pain. Then an uppercut.

Ben and Jed saw their classmate flew two meters off the ground. When he descended, he awkwardly landed on his feet. Only his eyes were visible because his entire body was covered with black clothes. But even though he was in pain, his eyes showed none of this.

“If there’s only lacking, that is determination.” Sarah’s voice sounded once more. She was staring right through him.

This side of Sarah awed Ben. “She is… really amazing!”

Sarah strolled towards her attacker. The guy felt that she was underestimating him and glared at her.

Sarah’s fist was lifted. However, she didn’t punch the guy anymore. She only punched the air in front of his face.

“Next time, do your worst.” Sarah smirked.

Ben became worried. “Sis, isn’t better to pummel him into submission?”

“Only pummel? We can even kill him.” Sarah suggested. A murderous air pervaded her, scaring the lights out of Ben.

“Th-that’s to-too bad, no?” Ben stammered.

Only Jed’s expression was unique. He was looking at Sarah differently. His eyes were complex, and it shone moments later. “It’s alright, Ben. She got this.” He smiled and patted Ben on the shoulder.

“You can go now.” Sarah said, brushing off her attacker.

The assassin gritted his teeth. Alas, he ran and immediately vanished in the foliage of bizarre looking bushes.

“Why did we leave him off the hook?” Ben tilted his head.

“Idiot. He is still our classmate. And there is greater fun when we faced greater challenges. But the next time he comes again, there is no turning back.” There was a manic look on Sarah’s face.

“What if he killed you?” Ben asked again.

“Then, I’m the dumb one. Not qualified to reach the peak.”

A man swayed as he walked up the hill. The accessories he wore jingled and clicked. He was neither slow nor fast, appreciating the view. When he was finally on top, he smiled and spread his arms, feeling the comforting winds.

“Red-red, isn’t this wonderful! We go’in to watch an interesting show.” The man laughed. However, there was no one beside him but him.

“Ahh, shall we pull a string? I want my puppet show livelier performance.” He thought for a moment. He got an inspiration and flicked his fingers “Aha! I should call Darky to meet Cloudy.”

3