Chapter 24 – Motes of light
36 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 24 – Motes of light

 

It was the stab that could kill anyone. It pinpointed one’s weakness and attacked it.

Everything muted. The world stopped just for this moment. Then there was blood.

Pshk. Life groaned. It was only a light wound. But it was the first time he had gotten injured. He was correct that the annoying ant wouldn’t be able to do anything. He also had the right to be indignant and curse out loud.

Alas, he felt otherwise. The titanic entity trembled as he didn’t understand. There was clearly no threat to him, but he felt that he was really going to lose. He willed all of his tentacles to help him flew. This time panicky.

Everyone forgot what they were doing. Even the Venerables. They let go of the pinned tentacles and watched Life ascending to the sky. Then, they also watched as the petite body falling to its ruin.

Bang. Debris was crushed. Sarah, Jed and Ben, who also returned with everyone, hurried to his location.

In the distance, Grimo was watching what’s happening. His eyes cracked open as envy filled his heart to brim. “Why is he??! A demon with emotion!!!” He spat every word.

Beside him was Clown and Bobar, who was now hiding in the former’s shadow. Clown said, enthralled. “A Heart Demon, capable of doing miracles…” Shadows covered his mask; his meaning was hard to decipher.

After seemingly a long time, Clown opened his only visible facial part. “Let’s go. Cloud Rider and Ija must have stopped now. The show was entertaining, but the result was clear already.”

In the sky, the panicking Life hurried to shoot upwards. He thought the feast was over and had to hurry back to where he came from. Because his senses tingled him that something was about to happen to him!

But it was too late. He was dumbfounded when he saw green lights occupying the whole sky. He felt it was unbelievable. “How… Why you???” He stared wide eyed at Green Palm Tree, who was floating above, with fear and hate.

In Green Palm Tree’s palms was a condensed World’s Energy. It was his power. The last of his Path. His eyes were blazing, brimmed with hatred and pain. He paid attention to the child lying with his last breath and the people in the ground who he supposed to protect.

“You see, I fucking hate you.” Green Palm Tree stated, veins protruded on his youthful face. He looked devilish at this moment. “I will sever my path or even become a Ghoul, just for you.”

Life trembled. He recalled what he knew from that path and knew they were all maniac. He exhaled and his child voice sounded, “We can make a deal. Don’t be stupid, your future was vast. I can even help you with that. I’m willing to sign a contract.” Although his voice was childish, there was a temptation that was hard to reject.

The green color in the sky intensified. There were thunders and clouds rolled like dragons. But the Venerable’s anger was louder!

“Power?” Green Palm Tree’s tone was sarcastic. “Fuck you!”

“You as my servant? Fuck you!!”

“Transcendence?”

“FUCK YOU!!!”

“You killed my people and you expect us to shake hands?”

“You destroy our homes and you expect to build a connection?”

“Then, so what if I fuck you right here, right now?!!” His face warped. Blood profused from his gums, from gnashing his teeth so hard.

But this expression frightened Life thoroughly. The entity calculated his fate and his heart sunk!

Then, under the scared eyes of Life, the entire sky became a gigantic fist!

“Concept of Life.”

“Fist of a Creation.”

“!!!”

Collins rushed on a long corridor. It was one of the most important location of Pendragon Clan. Even the noise above ground couldn’t penetrate its thick walls. Collins only know this because the County Lord granted him. The reason it was important because it was the seclusion room of Old Man Pendragon.

“County Lord.” Collins knocked on an enormous door with pictures of five dragons on it.

An old yet energetic voice sounded from inside. “Collins, it’s been a while. I know what are you going to say, so don’t worry. I’m finish.”

Everyone was aghast. They jumped flat to the ground. Next thing they knew, the space warped in gargantuan scale!

Life screamed; his tentacles flailed, yet hit nothing but air. Large number of petals and tentacles got destroyed. His heart caught in his throat. He spotted he was only a few meters above ground. He sighed in relief. But he was once again rattled when he saw the Venerables rushing towards him.

“Damn! What about this, I am willing to repay everything I’ve done!”

Life immediately thrust all of his tentacles. At the same time, he willed his body to shoot upward. However, his flight was slow and at the moment, all the Venerables caught up and battered him.

“Shit! Don’t beat someone when he was down!” Tentacles reacted only defensively.

“You should’ve thought that before you murdered our people!” Roaring, Ryan clawed his way out of the forest of tentacles.

Cain’s head on the left flew. But his other heads bit off a couple of tentacles. Baring his teeth, “Tell us who was the one behind this!”

“I don’t know! I just jumped out when I saw the opportunity opened in front of me!” Life shouted back.

“Like hell we believed you.” Jade Hands’ otherworldly voice vibrated in Life’s ears. One giant hand trailed behind him and pulled one of his tentacles.

Life got yanked downwards. He felt bitter as he felt the weakening of his body. Green Palm Tree’s power of life was corrupting his body. It was like a virus. “Please let me go…”

“You don’t have pride as an Evil?” One of the concern citizens helped Palm Tree. Beads of sweat trickled on his face and blood poured out from his nose and ears. But his expression was demonic while glowering at Life.

Cain climbed on top of Life. Fireballs barraged and burned the petals, making Life scream even more.

“Shit! Shit! You are not going to let me go?”

“So be it!”

“I’ll just bring someone down with me!” Life lost his breath as he screamed. Ruthlessness filled his heart. This time, there was no order in his actions and shocked everyone to see all of his limbs erratic!

Blood drained from their faces. And horror replaced the joy. They thought this was the end of Life. But they were the one to go ahead instead.

Boom! Limbs and fountain of blood burst like fireworks. The messy scent tingled on their noses. Only a few were lucky. They rolled in pain as the hellish result painted the scenery. Everything became bathed with red.

Life used that moment to shoot through the cover of the cloud. His heart ran.

Yet in his excitement, he turned around in order to mock those bastards, only for his words to be shoved in his throat.

The groaning stopped. It was only silence that followed him. In addition, he caught everyone looking at the man standing on a distance. It was an elderly but his posture was straight; it was like the spear held in his hands.

“Hey, Lad.” It was friendly greetings. Yet a vein popped out from the old man’s face.

“You seem to enjoy playing in other’s backyard. Why don’t you stay here for a short while?” The old man surveyed his surroundings. He thought that he wasn’t in his county anymore. Another vein popped out on his face.

Life gulped and used his tentacles to wipe his none existing eyes. All of his petals dimmed as grey.

“Supreme? No. Still, he was already complete. But only the spear held him back and was lacking a little!” The entity trembled. He became frozen mid-air.

“You know some stuff. This is World Sealing Dragon Spear.” Old Man Pendragon’s tone was straightforward.

But anyone knew something about the weapon shuddered and stared at it in awe. However, only the Venerable Level noted the word complete.

“Congratulations Father of your successful seclusion!” Ryan hurried to bow.

“Congratulations County Lord.” Even in pain, everyone said in chorus.

“Do it later.” The old man waved his hand. “Lad, you know what’s going to happen next, right?” More veins popped out on his face, looking devilish.

“NO–.” Life screamed on top of his lungs, but he got interrupted when a tremendous force landed on the top of his body. A resounding dragon roar attacked his ears while seeing himself descending in multiple speed compared to his ascending flight!

It made him aghast. All the tentacles landed together and tried to prop him up. Too bad, Old Man Pendragon lifted his spear once more and bashed it downwards!

Peng.

“DAM–.”

Peng.

“–N YOU–.”

Peng.

“!!!”

Peng. He kept on pummeling Life until the latter moaned in mercy.

“Getting rapt destroying my home, no?” Even his wrinkles were jumping in anger.

Old Man Pendragon steadied his foothold. “Were my people delicious?” He fiddled on the spear’s handle. Draconic aura emerged and converged on his hand. It towered over everything, even Life’s aura earlier.

Bellowing, his voice reverberated on all corners. “CAN YOU EAT THIS?!!”

BANG!

Finally, Life had landed on the ground!

In that instant, the entire world churned like an ocean!

Waves of World’s Energy gushed out as the several golden runes sprout out from the ground. The runes formed into chains and swam on the tide of energy. Their speed was slow in the naked eye, but they already wrapped around the titanic body even before everyone could blink!

Pshk. Consecutive stabbing happened on every part of his body. Life screamed in terror as the chains dragged him. He felt his body passing through the ground, shocking him to the core. “Please, stop it!”

“Argh! Help!” But no matter how he plead, he received was cold eyes.

“Fate, save me!” Powerless, everything about him got bounded. Despair painted his whole being and uttered a sentence that stunned everyone.

The dawn was approaching. The barely visible clouds congregated. It swirled as if brewing thunder and lightning. After a second, it transformed into a humongous face!

Even though its facial was blurred, it didn’t diminish its overpowering aura. It was unlike Life’s aura where they got suppressed to the ground. This time, they felt that their entire life became suppressed instead. It was a strange sensation and brought them horror like never before!

After seemingly millions of years, Old Man Pendragon peaked on the heavens. He played with the spear in his hand and stretched a bit. His eyes were smiling, but his mouth curved and bared his teeth, resembling to Sarah. “What? Beating the dog and the owner will show up?”

The face was impassive. Its black-hole like eyes stared on the chains and the tide of World’s Energy. “It was still strong as ever.”

Old Man Pendragon raised an eyebrow. But he soon chuckled. “Hehehe. Anyway, I don’t have to deal with you. A friend is here with us.”

The face was still serene. It was graceful as it looked at the horizon.

It was as if dawn had arrived. People blocked their faces and peered through the seams of their palms. Visible from them was the outline of a golden dome. And in the center of it was a blurry figure coming closer.

“East Venerable Cloud Rider.” The faced tilted its head.

She who controls the fate?” Eyes blinked; Cloud Rider strutted until they leveled together.

“Well met.”

In an instant, cloud rolled and thunder roared. The entire world was shaking, and the space muted to negative!

The two lofty auras clashed, producing tens of miniature black holes!

But as if a lie, peace ensued, fresh air filling the gaps of their lungs. And what welcomed them was the light of the dawn.

Tears poured down from their faces. The three of them kneeled beside the cooling body. Ayill’s fingers twitched. He was staring at the wet faces in front of him. The morning star was overhead, but he was looking straight at it.

The only uncomfortable was he couldn’t move his body anymore. Soon, everything became soundless.

Rushed footsteps sounded in their left ear. Von gasped. Both Ben and Sarah immediately shouted at him. “Teacher, help Ayill!”

“Please. Help him.”

Von’s face changed when he saw the body. Ayill’s looks were worrisome. There were no intact parts on his body. In fact, he might die any second. Von paused. “I-it’s hard.”

Sarah’s face brightened. She hurried to wipe her eyes. “So, there is a way, right? Hurry, hurry Teacher.”

The teacher’s gaze penetrated the soil. His palms balled. His shadow lengthened on the ground. Gritting his teeth, he said. “I can’t.”

Her face became drained of blood. “What? B-but. There is a way, right? Right?!” She jumped, pushing Ben down in the process. Her grip jammed right through her teacher’s collar.

Von buckled backwards, but he was still looking down.

“You crap of a teacher! I know how rich you are! You are a student of a Transcendent! You can do anything if you want to. But you are just crappy person!” Sarah continued to lunge at him, but Jed put her in his arms.

On the back was Ben, who was pale as paper. Disbelief got written on his eyes as he reviewed the person he idolized.

There was a complicated expression on Jed’s face as he saw the trembling of his teacher.

“Pendragon! Hear me!” Her throat reached outwards. “Hear me!”

The alive Pendragon members looked at each other. Shame painted on their faces. They couldn’t bear to look at her. “I’m sorry, Young Miss.”

“WHY? HUH? YOU USELESS BASTARDS!” Curses was spat on her tongue as she gripped Jed’s arm hard. The latter flinched, but he didn’t back down.

Ryan hurried beside Sarah. “Sarah, please…” But the girl slapped his hand.

“Tell me, you can save him, right?” In an instant, Sarah calmed down. But others feared it was only the beginning of eruption.

There was nothing Ryan could say.

“Grandfather, am right?” Dark clouds covered her face.

“Yes.” It was straightforward. Old Man Pendragon looked deeply at Sarah. “Are you willing to pay the consequence?”

“What consequence?” Her head immediately craned. There was weakness in her eyes. There was no arrogance she was known for.

“Demon?” But a word interrupted everyone.

It was Cloud Rider. He landed beside everyone else. He looked down at the barely alive Ayill. “There’s no place for him.” Bland eyes stared at her eyes, peering in her soul.

“Sir Cloud Rider.” Green Palm Tree limped towards him. “He is–.”

However, Cloud Rider interjected again. He waved his hand like shooing a fly. He chuckled. “Demon is a demon.” Then he looked at Sarah. “Remember that.”

He vanished in the air under the flaming eyes of Sarah.

Green Palm Tree paled. Jade Hands supported his wobbling body.

“I see. I see, I understand.” Deprecation filled the girl’s mouth. She trembled and closed her eyes. Tears made way down from above and soaked Jed’s shirt as the boy hugged her. Beside them was Ben, who was equally bawling. They felt the coldness of life. Loneliness jacketed their being as if they were the only person in the world.

This is despair, right? The girl thought. The image of everyone else blurred. She perceived them as strangers. She felt the power inside her, it was recovering, but she sensed how powerless she was.

I’m weak. If I am strong, this will not happen. Seed of doubt sprouted in her heart.

Suddenly, a small light flashed on the gaps of her closed eyes. She peered and saw something that made her choked in emotion.

Everyone saw. In the center of blue sky, there was a mote of light. Not comparable to the sun, but it gave them warm feelings.

When Old Man Pendragon noticed this, his eyes turned into crescents and he bended over. “HAHAHA.”

Von’s eyes blurred. He bit his lips hard and the welling water finally went down. He was the first to bang his left chest hard.

Ryan smiled and did the same. Followed by Green Palm Tree and Jade Hands. In that moment, everyone placed their hands on their left chest.

And from their chest, a small mote of light emerged like a pixie. It twirled and danced.

Cain witnessed this in the distance. There was a complicated expression on his face. “Fire of Life… you all willing to do this?” He looked at the location where Cloud Rider disappeared.

The other two kid gaped at the wondrous scene before them. The motes of light fluttered and landed around Ayill.

It was like a snow, his body gradually disappearing before their eyes.

But like a miracle, his lifeless eyes came into life. He looked at the three friends before him. The three hurried to surround him.

“I’ve gotten a chance.” He chuckled. There was no trace of sadness on him anymore. “I would like to thank you all for everything you’ve done to me.”

Silence filled everyone. They put their focus on hearing his words.

“Ben, your heart is pure. You didn’t discriminate against me even though I was doing a bad thing.”

“Brooo.” Ben still can’t make a coherent word because of his throat. He covered his face with his palm. The boy kept brushing the wetness on his face, but it just kept on pouring more.

“Jed, I feel you are carrying heavy burdens but you still care for others.” Ayill coughed. Redness no more on his face. The life in him was diminishing. “Please look after them.”

Jed nodded. Relief flooded the redness in his eyes. In truth, his feelings towards him were complicated. “All is well, Ayill.”

Ayill struggled, but his hand gripped on Sarah’s hand. “Thank you, Sarah. It was great playing with you.”

“Shut up, Zombie.” Sarah wiped her tears and snots away.

“Don’t make it too hard for our teacher. And come to school every day, okay?” Smiling, his sincere feelings affected them.

“I hope, I’ve repaid a little of my debt. Don’t worry, in the next life, I will do my best to pay the remaining.”

“Haaa. Too bad, Terrence and Jay weren’t here. But it is a good thing. They won’t be so sad.”

At that moment, his body disintegrated into multiple motes of light, accompanying the bright sunrays of the new day.

“It is good to be alive.”

***End of Volume 1***

3