Chapter 39 – The new dogs in town
38 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 39 – The new dogs in town

 

The calamitous storm had subsided.

Spring-like phenomenon formed, giving an image too beautiful to behold.

The trio got here when the storm had long begun. Now, they could see that this village was quite scenic. A mountain formed as a background whilst the people got up early to work.

Examining the mountain, Ben remembered something.

“Ah! The cave that collapsed! Is this the village where County of Hopes and Dreams got most of their gold?” Ben pulled Jed. “You remember the news back then, do you?”

“Hm.” The other boy contemplated. He hurried an eye exchanged with Ben and Sarah.

Ben bit his finger. This time, even he who knew little in the world could feel something amiss. He spoke as quiet as a mouse. “Don’t tell me, there’s a conspiracy?”

Sarah and Jed knitted their brows. They could feel a large vortex sucking them in, a whirlpool so hard to escape. The already dark future became even darker.

Was there nothing they could do? Be bystander? Yet the flames of anger continued to burn in their hearts! They already had so much in their hands, thus, adding more was a piece of cake!

“I, Sarah, am not a good person.” The girl muttered. “I won’t deliberately go to save others. But even if I have a heart of stone, I can’t accept when I see a child too weak enough to be squashed into nothing yet still struggled against her fate.”

“I’m sorry, guys.” The proud girl bowed. “I let you be with me. And now we are just inches away from our objective, but I suddenly have this stupid idea. Now that the storm subsided, it won’t no longer be a possibility that our pursuers will chase us. It its one hundred percent sure they’ll do.”

Ben had a crook smile. “I’m stupid, anyway. By the way, we are almost there, Sis. Just a few investigations and we can enter Enderian Journey.” He didn’t know if he was bolstering her confidence or his self. 

The chubby boy exhaled and thought in his heart. “I’m afraid to die. My dream is to have a carefree adventure and become a hero. But which hero doesn’t use their life to save others? I don’t want to die but being a loser is worst.”

Jed also nodded. “Yes. And not like we can’t do anything to them. Conspiracy, pursuers or demons. As long we three are together, our training in this less than a year won’t be in vain.”

All of their eyes sparkled.

They understood what they agreed was insane, like a newborn calf, not afraid of a tiger. Although all of them felt scared, they cast aside their selfishness.

Sarah wanted to change her fate. Jed resolved to become stronger. And Ben had to search for his brother. One way or another, their interest got tied, so they had to be together.

But this time, they felt their conscience was clean. No cheating each other, no secrets, no trampled or clashing principles and no weak will. In fact, they recalled when they were fighting against Ayill!

They would use their everything to save someone.

Unbeknownst to them, a terrifying news had spread across the Mortal Lands. It was so terrifying that several people landed on their butt with their mouth agape. And only one word exited from their trembling jaws.

“Impossible!”

For a mortal to defeat a Venerable wasn’t fresh news.

In fact, storytellers and bards told and sang this countless times, giving aspirations for hot-blooded youths.

Nevertheless, news such as this were still enough to amaze everyone until their eyes popped.

Aspirations would be great and dandy if it was remotely possible.

But when truth slapped them to the face, mortals understood the difficulty of killing a Venerable.

Regeneration of missing limbs, head included, with mere seconds. Strength that could destroy an island, at least. Unparalleled movement and attack speed. A stamina that could go on for days. And many more, enough to bring nightmares to anyone.

That was why this feat got defined to be impossible!

Yet, there were exceptional individuals that accomplished this task!

And for these individuals, people called them − Venerable Slayer!

A title only reserved to these miracle people!

Unlike Mother Ani’s blessing, this title was collective adoration and acceptance of everyone in Mortal Lands. Hence, there won’t be a physical power incorporated with it.

However, these proud personages probably won’t bother with the blessing as they were too talented to begin with.

Even without it, they still have a chance to become Supreme. As for Venerable Level, people already expected this result from them.

Then, what mortal could kill a Supreme Venerable?

A Supreme Venerable was someone who already perfected everything of himself. His body, Will, Heart and Path, all these aspects reached their peaks.

And for a perfect being yet still end up falling in the hands of a mortal, the word impossible would be an understatement.

And this mortal who transgressed such history would be henceforth known as… Blue Cloud Slayer!!!

“Blue for being able to harness the power of All Blue, the largest body of water enclosed by the earth.”

“Cloud stands for East Venerable Cloud Rider, a Supreme Venerable.”

“And Slayer for single-handedly killing a Venerable!” Everyone reached an agreement.

This earthquake collapsed the peace humans had been enjoying so far. Those authorities might only feel less worried as they still have something in their sleeves.

But common folks didn’t have this luxury.

Each birth and death of a Venerable directly affected their interest.

Elderly people who lived a hundred years of life became anxious. They could still remember how hard their life before Calm Era.

Immediately, exchange of gold, silver and bronze inflated. So much so that common folks in East Region became even thriftier!

Next, another news propagated. Even though its impact won’t be as large, but its tremors were far-reaching.

Because Sarah Pendragon, number one of the Ten Talents, had lost to the number seven of Hades Decemvirate, Marakur of the Manecoon Clan!

As a result, the same people who disdained these demons became nerve wreck.

Several gossips such as demons’ comeback was happening or other malicious words towards humanity’s diminishing talent spread.

They maligned these top talents as lacking substance, no merit or rubbish talent.

Though, Sarah’s name received nastier remarks which also affected the Pendragons.

This made Ryan almost bit his teeth off from so much anger.

Not all people got worried, however. Certain clans would love the current situation reminiscent of peace before war such as… the Dult Clan!

“Yo Cousin! The time has come for us! Rah! I’m shaking!” A black-haired youth pumped his fist in his sides. He had a comical punk-like face, but his powerful aura, despite being young, made those around him behaved like children.

“War! War! Come! Rah!”

In front of him, another black-haired youth ambled towards a tent and only him remained unbothered by his companion’s aura.

The punk followed this someone who had such an elegant face and white skin, and he could only envy this aspect.

“Cousin! Father said It’s time to prepare! How dare those imbeciles look down on us, humans? Rah! We will show them what we are capable!”

The elegant youth smiled. “Hm. It will be enough if we do well in the Arena. Ours might not be comparable to Eight Supreme Killing Grounds. But still have enough prestige.”

“You jest, Cousin! Who will win if not you? Rah! You are the greatest prodigy of this generation!”

“There are still the branch families. Maybe they have dark horses and that will make the event more fun.”

“No! I doubt it! Rah! No matter how they try, it’s impossible to exceed the main family! We don’t even need to use you. Even I will be enough!”

This youth typically annoyed people because of his hyperactivity and loud voice. But the elegant youth remained calm and listened to his cousin’s words.

When both of them entered the tent, a man became alert and greeted the two. The man brought out a book and handed it to the elegant youth. He respectfully said, “Young Master, there’s a lad called Mimosa who wished to take part, but his family isn’t aware. Do I remove him from the list?”

“Oh.” The elegant youth started flipping the book.

Everything written in it were informations of the Arena’s participants, and might lead to cheating, but the elegant youth wasn’t interested in their abilities or weaknesses.

Only until he reached the end that he became engrossed in reading.

“Green hair… Mimosa. It’s him, eh?” A dangerous glint emerged in the elegant youth’s eyes. Though, it vanished as fast as it appeared.

“Cousin. What is it?”

The punk inched closer, but the elegant youth closed the book. He pushed the book towards the man and said, “Don’t remove him.”

He smiled before exiting the tent.

The punk had knitted brows. It would be strange if the quick change of expression of his usually kind cousin did not bother him. He knew he didn’t mistake it–that killing intent! He already had experienced a fair share of battles, so he would sense someone’s killing intent even several meters away.

“Whatever! Rah! It is just killing a distant relative! No! Their bloodline is too thin they are basically not Dult Clan anymore!” He put both of his arms around his head and followed his cousin.

“And that’s the completion of first phase.” Clown smiled. He moved his knight across Baidu’s bishop.

“You really did it. In the blueprint of our plan, killing that elusive bastard is the hardest. I even thought it was simply impossible.” Baidu smiled while killing a pawn.

Maybe from his difficult situation or because of something else, Clown frowned. “What I didn’t expect is that his secret is much deeper than I speculated. In addition, that ‘guy’ didn’t move at all.”

“No. There is a movement.” Baidu’s rook move, cornering Clown’s queen. “Though, not from his. The Necroaurora has emerged.”

“Hm? So?”

“It seems you heard nothing yet because it was too recent. In fact, I just got it a few hours ago.” Baidu smiled.

“One of the Ten Talents, number two—The God. He entered The Boneyard, one of the Eight Supreme Killing Grounds and the origin of Necroaurora.”

“Damn! He wasn’t dead yet, right?”

“Unfortunately, yes. He died. There're no hopes when someone entered during the season of Necroaurora.”

“Right now, the entire humanity is grieving. They said humanity’s current talent is so mediocre that they feared their future.”

“You wanted me to believe you he died?” Clown chuckled. He maneuvered his king, dodging all rain-like attacks of Baidu. This was the usual occurrence to him, by the way, so it didn’t dishearten him when he was losing again after hundreds of times!

“I understand a few of the Ten Talents. But only this someone called The God is so mysterious.”

“Don’t feel vexed. With our information, we tricked the old fool. And that is enough. If that God truly has connections with that ‘guy’ then we can only prepare. And isn’t one of our goal is to make those stupid humans fear us? Although this made them alert, this also make us demons step up to the stage once again.”

“HAHAHA. That’s the last time I’ve felt so refreshed!” The Demon Emperor slapped his thighs while wiping his tears from over laughing. “They really believed Sarah is the black dragon! They didn’t know, with collaboration of few Evils, we altered his divination. Making him question himself if Sarah is black or gold dragon!”

Baidu continued to laugh without poise, as if not the ruler of millions of demons. But sensing his comrade not laughing with him, Baidu stopped and peered at Clown.

Suddenly, the latter made an ambiguous smile.

“What if I say, my Father, that I also tricked you?”

“What? Damn! You don’t mean Sarah is really the black dragon?!! Won’t this disrupt our plans? Only because of her unusual identity that we could lure Cloud Rider into a trap. After all, that guy is quite protective.”

Baidu became worried.

Sarah becoming the black dragon should be worthy of celebration for demons, as it would make a crack to the humanity’s united stand.

But as a tactician, Baidu knew that one big misinformation in a plan could escalate into more mistakes until the entire plan failed!

But despite Baidu’s furrowed brows, Clown played his wine. “Nah. I trick everybody, actually. I don’t trust you nor those Evils. Especially the latter. Hell, I’ll be a fool to trust them.”

“Ehem. Truth be told, I don’t know if Sarah is even the black or gold dragon. Maybe she isn’t any of these two. I just made that up and maybe someone else is the black and gold dragon. What I know, is I dug a trap for her. Not only humans and demons will be after her. But also Evils who salivated of eating a future universe’s savior or calamity. It’s a hole I dig for everyone to jump to. So, if Sarah or these guys discovered I played them and retaliate against me in the future, you have to protect me–eh? Father? Where are you going???”

“…” Baidu who already vanished.

“Pretty Big Sister and Elder Brothers, come let’s eat!” Karmen hurried to place the hot-piping food she prepared.

The trio had already seated and opposite to them sat Ilocos, who had an uncomfortable expression.

The trio exchanged glances before Sarah spoke. “Kid, can you tell us what happened?”

“We want to help you.” She hurried to explain.

Karmen stared at her father, awaiting his confirmation and after seeing her father’s nod, she disclosed everything.

“Monsters appeared and every night, these monsters were eating the villagers?”

“Demons arrived and saved you with compensation of constant sacrifice?”

“Aba, they treat you like a fool!” Sarah slammed the table.

The kid shook her head, however. “No. The Monster is true, Sister!” She pursed her little lips and said, “Or monsters. Anyway, they have sharp claws and teeth. Its furry hair stood like barb wires. It is nimble despite its size and its eyes can freeze anyone in tracks!”

Ben made a slight cough. “Little Sister, you might not know, but Manecoon Clan of the Demon Race resembled your explanation. They may act feral to copy animals in the wild.”

Karmen pitched a squeal to deny him. “It’s different. Those eyes…” The kid shivered. “… they didn’t seem to come from an emotionless demon. It has life in it!”

“Will…” The withered father mumbled.

He peered to door and windows first before continuing to whisper, “It even killed the only Grandmaster protecting the village.”

The trio exchanged glances once again after hearing what they said. They excused themselves and gathered in their room. As for sleeping together, the three didn’t seem to think something wrong about it.

Sarah spoke first. “If everything they said is true, we are probably facing a Beast.”

“What is a Beast doing here?” Ben shivered.

He’d done his research when he was in the school. Reading about general informations had been too hard for him, but he persisted in the end. And from the books he read so far, Beast’s abilities topped all races.

Jed scratched his chin. “There are also the troublesome demons. Whoever Evil they are planning to offer these sacrifices, we will get affected.”

“What?” Sarah became annoyed. “It’s not easy for Evil to descend.”

“That’s right. And that’s the reason he or she, or even they, will bore a grudge. We are after all destroying their business. Thinking about it further, with your talent and destiny, they will feel tempted to do something in the future.”

Hearing Jed’s words, Ben became scared. He couldn’t help but recall that titanic entity back then. “So not only we are going to fight humans, demons and a Beast but also… Evils???”

“Sis, we might be too hot headed. We can still abort this mission.” The chubby made a crying smile.

Sarah also felt helpless. “If we risk it, we can still survive. But only until we finish the Enderian Journey. After that, our chances of living are null.”

“Thus, when we got to the Enderian Journey, we have to stake everything to get stronger!”

“Let’s make a plan.” Sarah burned in fighting spirit. “Foremost, we have to use the kid, Karmen, to get info where is the entrance to Enderian Journey.”

“Second, investigate which demons, their numbers and abilities. But we can guess, they are still from Manecoon Clan.”

“Third, who is this so-called Monster or monsters.”

“Fourth, which Evil had hands on this mess.”

“And last, which abilities we need to strengthen and search for powers to survive the ordeals in the future. We also have to perfect our team work!”

Jed took his notebook and started scribbling. Words after words appeared and both Sarah and Ben cooperated.

Developing their plans would take time, but everyone didn’t grumble. It would be a dreadful future facing these problems. But a weird sense of excitement bubbled in their heart. Something they couldn’t understand.

Out of nowhere, a panicked knocking emerged whilst accompanied by Karmen’s rush voice. “Big Sister, Brothers! Something is happening!”

The trio blinked and didn’t dally.

Commotion occurred as the trio just exited the house. Crowd of villagers spoke in hush tone as they peered at the distance.

Far away, a vast cloud of smoke came closer. And when the people finally saw what was coming, everyone became aghast.

“Bandits are here!”

No one knew who shouted, but everyone panicked and disappeared to their houses. Clinking and clanking emerged as the sound of metals being fetched clanged in every house.

Karmen shivered and hid behind her father, whose face paled. The trio stood beside them and watched together as the bandits arrived. Judging from their vicious appearance, they seemed to take stealing and killing as a hobby.

Ben made another crying smile. “Sis, what our plans again? It seems I forgot everything.”

Jed frowned while Sarah gripped her fist.

Von’s shoulders trembled. The midnight’s wind passed by was freezing. Though, he continued to tread without increasing his speed. Just taking his time.

Various thoughts emerged, making his head became more colder as time went.

Von clutched his jacket. Different to his mind, his heart continued to race though. He had lived his life teaching children; it was his life's mission.

Yet four of his so-called student died. Three of them passed away from unjust death. And the last became a demon to save everyone.

The entire Mortal Lands was pursuing another one of his students. Alongside her should be two innocent children—one whose goal was too secretive to investigate, and the other just wanted to find his brother. The dangers they would face was enough to kill them over and over.

Next, one brave soul out for vengeance, challenging the stormy winds alone. She had to search and face someone who had a power of one-man army.

A simple youth with green hair stood up to challenge his own clan, whose strength covered the Mortal Lands. Accompanied him were two individuals who have a bright future ahead of them. Yet, they got mixed into a chaos brought by political and military struggles.

There were three boys got embroiled in the vortex and now Von didn’t know what happened to them. Even he felt biased because of Ryan, he knew Pendragons wasn’t a soft persimmon.

Fortunately, one student remained in the confines of safety.

Or maybe unfortunate because no man wanted to live in mediocrity.

Seeing everyone trying hard, even the important reasons such as family would be too thin to handle.

Von felt suffocated. They were his students and he ought to protect them. Just like what his Master did to him.

Furthermore, he vowed to his Master’s soul that he would be proud of him.

Yet, just getting revenge for one student already gave him so much pressure. What’s more, four of them? Fifteen?

The human’s climate became turbulent and unpredictable. Born from Calm Era, Von didn’t know how hard life before, even though he had wide research of survival tactics.

He even felt he’d lived a pampered life. But hearing various devastating news, he couldn’t help but feel afraid.

He raised his head while pulling his jacket closer. “Master, guide me.”

“Mother Ani, if you can hear me, please bless everyone to be safe.”

Slowly, pitter patter sounded. They said only kids cry. But he’d contained it for so long. That incident was only the trigger.

He remembered the familiar auras accompanying him. Sheltering him. Hugging, far from the fire place yet as warm as the sun.

But this time, he was alone on a chilly day. Alone. Far, so far from the warmth.

3