Chapter 45 – You speak
33 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Chapter 45 – You speak

 

Before she appeared, the moon was just white. The night only had one color, and the day was just another day.

He already grew baptized by repetition. Like a still pond, nothing could create ripples. After all, the pond may look clear blue, but it was hiding countless bones underneath it.

He wouldn’t deny his existence, nor run from it. Although accepting such fate tasted like wax, bland and unappetizing, it wasn’t a terrible life.

And then she appeared.

“What is color for you? Mine she is.”

“What is music to you? Her laughter is.”

“And what is medicine for? I already have her, so no need.”

She became everything to him.

But why did she marry the pig? Tonyo despaired. He braved countless claws and fangs, went to several worlds trying to change. Yet, he found he was too late.

They already got married. And soon, expecting a child.

Hate. Hatred towards them and hatred towards himself. Thus, his steps didn’t pause. He would kill that blasphemous couple.

Woosh. His figure traveled at unbelievable speed. He skirted around the County Lord’s mansion till he arrived at a certain room. He crept like he used to, his pupils darted around and his claws jutted. Light shone in the seams of the door and thought to go through the window instead. This way, his arrival would be more unpredictable.

Around the window, Tonyo peeked. But he stopped. Two streams of tears fell down from his eyes.

“They look happy.”

He left. Tonyo didn’t have the heart to destroy their happiness. Hence, he left with a void in his chest.

The Beast arrived at the waterfall where they met. It had been the same. Not the winds, not the flowers and nor sky.

It would always be the same.

If not for her.

And now that he knew he loved her, the world should have been different.

Would it be in the right circumstance? Or if he never left? Maybe if he told her first? Just what he should do in order to be with her?

He didn’t know if he could go back anymore. With her. Along with him. They couldn’t go back before, with their wild untamed chase. The goosebumps and the exhilaration as they ran across the golden fields. And then arriving at the peak, overlooking everything with their hearts uplifted.

Suddenly, he remembered the aurora. It differed from his love, though. It seldom appeared, a very rare occasion. A visual stunning, when all goes dark, one could witness it all splendor.

While his aurora only happened for the first time: the person called Aurora. And he could only appreciate that view before everything went dark. This time, darker than before she appeared.

“Why can’t you be my aurora in this despairing dark world?” Tonyo questioned, only to see his faint reflection in the running water.

“Because I’m a monster.”

“Because I’m a monster.” Tonyo muttered in his head while looking at the humans and demons cooperating.

It should shock anyone to see these two races joining, but Tonyo certainly didn’t. He grew numb from racial discriminations and peculiarities of the world.

Although his World’s Energy should drop for how long they had fought, he still had enough of it to finish these people.

Tonyo’s eyes penetrated their soul, making them tremble. The killing intent he released became more corporeal.

Then his body became a blur.

He saw the foul-mouthed boy and an exceptional demon tried to use their body to catch him. Then, the quiet boy’s eyes gleamed and teleported with a knife ready. And at last, the fiery girl attacked him with a flaming fist.

But no matter how they struggled, he knew they wouldn’t be able to defeat him.

“This is the end.”

Tak. Creak. Two pairs of footsteps and a door opening sounded simultaneously. Rollin didn’t turn around and stayed seated over the bed. He peered at the sky with a blank expression.

“Have you done it?”

Silence answered him. He nodded while still having the same blank look. “I can tell you where is the boy. But you have to take one blade.”

The monster examined his frozen shoulder and the now emerging blade in his hand. He purred, not hesitating to give up himself.

Pshk.

Rollin inflicted him a wound in his chest, right where the heart was. Wind caressed his blank face. His eyes gained focus and examined the creature before him.

The latter didn’t whimper from pain nor let out any noise. He remained the same as if it wasn’t his own chest got stabbed.

“Why would you sacrifice yourself for that kid? He isn’t even your child. I examined him; he is just an ordinary human. Nothing special.” Rollin contemplated before asking.

Though, Tonyo gave him a placid look.

Rollin’s face twitched, and he understood, and thus, he gave his promise. “He is in the hands of the villagers. You can’t blame me, right? Go, you can still save him.”

Tonyo nodded, his gaze had deeper layer of meaning. And next, he disappeared like a lie.

The demon touched his own chest, where the beating heart existed. He murmured. “I can’t kill you, even though I have so many chances. Pity, I descended to a level where I used someone else’s son to keep me safe.”

“But you can also say we are even. I don’t have the courage to sacrifice the boy. A desperate parent looking for you, I’ve seen that.”

“Heh! I’m a bad person. How could I use such a line? That’s right. The boy isn’t even worth it, as he is only a normal person. That’s the better explanation.”

A muffled snort exited his nose. Sourness, bitterness and slight sweetness, several emotions flooded inside him. Something stung his eyes as he lowered his head. “Your eyes, how can you have the same eyes?! Her motherly love is only because of a demon’s instinct?!”

“Bullshit! I hate this world and the people it birthed! We, demons can’t get a break!”

 “Thus, how could I bear to strike you dead?”

“I can’t kill you. But it’s enough injury so you won’t chase after me.”

His bleak expression got replaced with renewed confidence. “I can still make a comeback! It’s not too late to start! I will find another village and restart the ritual! No matter how long it takes!”

“Now, it should alert the County of Hopes and Dreams, right? They will flatten everything here. I hope not.”

A trace of reluctance appeared in his heart as he followed the where Tonyo went.

“Just don’t die.”

Pendràgon Pendragon appraised a painting at the newly built Academy of Hopes and Dreams. It depicted a battle between two forces.

“Ugly, right?” A person walked beside him and took a glimpsed of the art. This made Old Man Pendragon to inspect him.

“You are the new teacher-cum-principle? Quite young.”

The person chuckled and didn’t get embarrassed he was being sized up by someone. “Senior Von had to take a vacation. So, this worthless self of mine imposed to temporarily replace him.”

Old Man shook his head. “It’s not good to have intentions of this academy.”

“Elder, you jest.” The person maintained his sunny face. “I’m just curious what is underneath of this place. And you probably won’t stop me, anyway.”

The older man didn’t respond.

“May I ask, what will you do with that spell fluctuation from a few miles away? If I recall, the Enderian Journey is there.”

Old Man didn’t emit any aura, but the man suddenly felt the atmosphere became heavier.

“Mind your own business, Funny Face.” The old man walked away, not bothering to say goodbye.

The person stayed smiling before craning his neck towards the painting. “Evils versus humanity. But who is good? Who is bad? The entities who have to eat to fill their stomach or mortals whose plenty desires get the worst of them?”

“Hehehe. Don’t disappoint me.” A devilish smile crept on his sunny face before vanishing.

Ben woke up from a long dream. He didn’t have any recollection nor tried to recall it because he immediately remembered their situation.

“Not good!” Hurrying, he crawled towards his teammates to sense if they were still alive. To his relief, everyone was safe and only sustained medium injuries.

The next thing he noticed was Sarah. The girl was wide awake and looking at the broken ceiling with a foolish expression. Ben thought she was feeling disheartened by their defeat.

“Sis… it’s alright. Everyone suffers defeat all the time.”

“Amazing.” But contrary to his belief, Sarah didn’t regard her defeat or simultaneous defeats as more than important.

Despite her strong appearance from others’ perspective, Sarah had suffered more defeats than she could count. Everyone in the Pendragon was a genius, and they always swept the floor with her if they turned serious.

Even then, she didn’t put Pendragons in high regard. Her father used brute force too much, while others were like him.

Only her Grandfather has reached the finesse of Combat Arts.

Thus, seeing such acute Combat Arts, techniques and experiences from the monster, Sarah didn’t feel down.

She felt invigorated instead!

“There’s actually someone like that. How amazing! He doesn’t rely too much on his Art. Instead, he applied his own understanding to strengthen it!”

“Mine also came from experience of copying from others. Most of them became integrated to me while others got changed. But I know my weakness the most. My moves are not cohesive, making my attacks as nothing but vain and wide. Easily exploited by others.”

“Thus, that creature is really amazing. If a Grandmaster doesn’t go all out, it could kill the former. Or anybody.”

Ben became mesmerized by her mumblings. In his eyes, he considered Sarah as pretty strong already. But the latter actually thought differently from him. His yearning to become strong increased because of it.

The girl reached for her arm, clinging on the dark starless sky. “Doofus, wake up Turtle. We still need to save the boy.”

Ben scratched his head. “Won’t the monster find the boy already? Also, what do we do with these demons?”

“For your first question, it’s not necessarily true. We don’t know if Rollin will keep his promise. And Karmen might ask us about him.”

Sarah then grinned, giving him the familiar face. “As for the last question, they are demons. We have to…” She made a slicing motion to her throat.

Ben quickly remembered. She had that face when they argued.

“I-I…” Ben didn’t know how to respond.

Sarah patted his shoulder before helping the now awakened Jed. “I will leave it to your hands how to ‘murder’ them.”

Both of them walked towards the exit. Ben got lost in his thoughts and didn’t see Grumpy’s body twitching. The latter had awoken long ago and heard their conversation.

If it was before, he would already jump and attack them. But this time, an unknown feeling manifested in his heart, closing his eyes in defeat.

After a long period, the expected pain didn’t come. He opened his eye to look and saw the humans gone.

“…”

“Did you finish them?” Sarah and Jed stood in the street. Ben gulped and paused his breathing.

“Yes.”

“Good. Let’s go.” Thus, he didn’t expect Sarah to let it slide just like that. Ben closed his eyes and sighed in relief.

They couldn’t continue to move after a few blocks, however. Everything in their vision got barricaded by villagers, nonetheless. At the very front stood Ilocos and Karmen.

“What’s the meaning of this?” Ben lifted an eyebrow as he didn’t know Sarah received an attack from them recently.

Ilocos wouldn’t answer someone who was only a fodder. In his mind, only Sarah should be eligible to talk. Facing her, none of the previous coward appearance remained. Instead, he spoke to her in an arrogant tone.

“Brat. What is the taste of helplessness? Not feeling high and mighty now, aren’t we? You still became cornered rats.”

A triumphant expression appeared on Ilocos’ face. “Taste the common people’s vengeance!”

“Huh?” Sarah’s expression turned into pure disregard, though. “Are you an idiot? What you lot can even do? Spit on us? I’ll roast you all in seconds!”

“Simple.” Ilocos flicked his fingers. “You are going to help us apprehend yourself.”

The trio knitted their brows before the villagers parted in the middle. And from there, they saw something that took their breath away.

A creature laid in the ground. Multiple arrows pierced through its body. They could see a small figure shouting and crying a few distances from it. Desperation painted the boy’s face as the villagers prevented him from moving.

“What are you doing?” The trio became incensed.

“I just used its vain heart. In exchange for the boy, it will let us beat itself. Of course, no one said how we will do the beating.”

Sarah gritted her teeth. “Is there a meaning from doing this?”

“Of course. You destroyed this village’s peace. But the Pendragons will surely find fault with us. So… we need someone to point fingers.”

“This monster will be it. Your family will love it. I don’t know about anything, but I’m sure that this creature is one of a kind. The research value alone shall clean everything that transpired.”

“Then, why are going after us too?” Sarah said in a low voice.

“HAHAHA. Because you have value for other people! With a price, anything is possible!”

Ben’s eyes almost fell off from its socket. He couldn’t believe someone this despicable. Why there was an enormous difference in character between this village and the county?

“Maybe you are wondering how I could do all these things? Easy! I am the village leader of Village of the Bends! Am I an excellent actor? True, true!”

“I have been leading this village, but a so-called protector suddenly went out of his seclusion. Tsk.”

“Also, that Roland or whatever demon, I manipulated him like the back of my hand!”

“Do you know how much we’ll get from here? More than what you think!”

“Yes, we hate Pendragons, but we hated more not being able to eat three times a day! The county will fix the cave mine, find a rare creature for experiment and appease the people’s hearts.”

“Don’t you think it’s a win-win situation for your clan? After all, something happened in the county a while ago and people have fires in their bellies because of it.”

“Ah! I should thank that make-belief Evil or Evil-wannabe or whatever impersonator, the explosion so large that it arrived even here. Because of it, that fool protector sustained injuries which make us easy to dispose him.”

“Anyway, if they follow my script, people will see them in a new light! The Pendragons are still heroes! They helped and rescued the villagers! These will be the new headlines, no?!”

“As for you, they already left you to die. So, before you did, do you mind giving us a portion of your valuable bounty?”

From the trio’s point of view, this man became a devil. They felt aghast and barely stood their ground.

“We can just run. So, stop your bullshit!” Sarah snarled. If she ever got close to him, she would bite his throat off!

“You don’t care about this child anymore? Come on, it’s a long night for us! The sun is already peeking on us. Don’t waste more of our energy, okay?”

“Karmen! Speak some sense to your father!” Ben shouted. But what he didn’t expect was for the girl to only smile.

“I’m sorry, Big Brother.” Karmen continued to smile, although feeling helpless. Her hand went to the horn in her head before plucking it, shocking the hell out of the trio.

“I’m just following the rule of this world. Only then we can survive. You won’t understand me, nor I hope you to understand.”

“You have comfortable lives but we don’t.”

“There is nothing here. Just scraps. Merchants won’t even bother to come here while Pendragons continued to milk us dry.” The trio scanned the dilapidated houses and recalled how richer the common folks in the county.

“We wanted to progress, but the Pendragons are too despicable. Farms, dairy products, or whatever we can think of, they steal it from us.” Ben could see the bustling scene of the market and the smiles of the people. Yet, contrary to them, this place looked dirt poor.

“You can’t damn us just because we are doing something to you. From your eyes, we are wrong.”

“But in our perspective, we are right. So as long as foods get served in the table and my stomach full, I will continue following this path.”

“We got forced to tread this road, anyway. Might as well do everything. We only hope to live a simple, satisfying life. And we will do it with our own hands.”

At the end of her words, a hint of sadness appeared on Karmen’s face. She felt she lost something, but she convinced herself only by losing something she could gain anything.

Despair emerged on the trio’s faces. Reality slapped them hard on the cheeks, making them dizzy.

They wanted to ask her why. Were all of their interactions being nothing but acts and lies? Why did she play them???

“No! Impossible!” Sarah kept shaking her, not believing her.

Jed, whose eyes had little vision, became pale. Blood seeped from his mouth as a gut-wrenching pain emerged in his heart.

He hated traitors the most, and yet he suffered betrayal once again. His heart, his feelings–she wasted it.

He could accept the villagers to turn on them, but she was different. Or so he thought.

His breathing became rough and considered once again that person’s words. Become a monster, huh? Jed surmised, letting out the ugliest smile he ever done.

Even though they barely knew the little girl, they had grown to like her. They sympathized with her plight and eager to help her.

But to think she would use them…

Unbeknownst to them, seeds of darkness sprouted in their mind.

Ben wobbled and landed on his butt. His mouth close-open like a fish out of the water. He thought Sarah was wrong for murdering people.

But this time, a thought flashed in his mind. He thought… it didn’t seem bad idea to kill Ilocos, Karmen and these devil villagers!

Sarah closed her eyes to suppress the upheaval inside her before taking a step. She started this idea and hence, it was her right to finish this nonsense.

“Don’t be eager to die, will you?” Ilocos said when he saw Sarah sauntering towards them. He walked beside Tonyo and tugged an arrow from its body. “What do you think of this?”

“Acacic Blood Arrow?” Sarah’s heart skipped a beat before speaking in a low voice. “No! It’s a replica!”

“That’s right. It doesn’t have the firepower of its real counterpart. But if this hit someone many times, he or she will experience a never-ending agony!”

The trio’s eyes contracted. If his words were true, then the monster who became a hedgehog was surely experiencing more than what they could imagine!

Ilocos wore a placid face as he inserted the arrow once again to its wound, enlarging it further. The latter gave a suppressed groan.

Ilocos gestured and from the villagers’ hands, a bow and arrows appeared before nocking it at them.

“What do you think? Can you run while these number of arrows following you?” The man chuckled.

This made the trio trembled. Just thinking how the monster was stronger than them, yet got suppressed by the arrows numbed their scalps.

Sarah bit her lips. “You sacrificed the others before, just for your plan to come fruit. Why are they trusting you?”

“Just a small sacrifice to increase our standard of living. Enough asking, I’m in control of the situation so you shall answer me instead. Give yourself or we poke you with these babies?”

Sarah couldn’t answer. But someone had a differing view.

Tobirane used that moment to slip from their hands. The villagers didn’t attack because his speed was slow and very easy to catch him again.

But contrary to their expectations, the boy didn’t escape nor went towards the monster. He scampered until he stopped in front of Sarah and co.

He back-faced them and glared at the monster.

“Stand up! How long you are going to sleep? Didn’t you do something greater than this? Stand up, you lazy idiot! Stand up, please!” Tobirane shouted on top of his lungs.

Ilocos became bored and nodded to his back. A person gripped his bow before launching the arrow. In everyone’s eyes, the arrow traveled in slow motion before piercing a small chest.

Blood flew from Tob’s mouth. He staggered, but he planted his foot in time. And despite the arrow in his chest, he didn’t let out a cry. He stood tall, unlike his short frame.

His eyes locked with the familiar eyes.

“We have faced opponents stronger than them. Greater tribulations. And no insignificant problems can separate us.”

“We are always together. You protecting me.”

“So, stand up like you always do! I won’t hide in your back anymore!”

“I wanted to face you! We shall stand together!”

Disbelief emerged from their eyes as they saw the quivering body before them. The agony from the arrow should be enough to kill him.

But he didn’t fall. Instead, he screamed with conviction, like a warrior not afraid of dying.

“I am Tobirane! Son of Tonyo the Monster! I am a monster too!”

“Father, stand up!!!” His scream reached the vault of heavens.

Tonyo suddenly pictured another scene.

That day, the County of Waterfalls and Pilgrimage had already become too chaotic.

But on the very same day, a new life was born. Yet instead of happiness, worry filled Aurora’s face.

Strangers appeared and fought their way in to the mansion. Despite fatigue from labor, Aurora carried her child and escaped towards the mountains. Arrows and blades chased after her, but from some miracle, she managed to arrive at the waterfall. The place he fell in love with her.

She had a bunch of injuries and was missing an eye. But Tonyo could see the worry and love she had for her baby.

She gave the baby to him. The woman held him, saying to protect her child.

And so, he did that. Tonyo ran with the baby, biting his lips because he might not be able to continue if he didn’t.

He couldn’t look back, not enough heart to see her dying in a pool of blood.

But the county suddenly undergone a lockdown.

Tonyo fidgeted at how to get away. But the next day, a news found its way to him. The clan where Porcius came from betrayed the county!

Hatred burned in his very soul. He swore to rip that bastard into pieces!

She gave her heart to you, but you had gall to do this! Tonyo roared weakly as pain and tears mixed.

Yet the bastard appeared before him. Wasted, bedraggled and withered, unlike his previous rich appearance.

“My clan didn’t do it. But this is still my fault. If only I don’t have that ‘seed’, we may have a good life.”

“I choose to become a normal person as much as I can, even though I have talent to become successful. You hated me because I don’t have abilities and because I took her away from you.”

“But you did nothing to me even when I steal her from you.”

“Thus, I know how much you love her. And I know you will protect her son.

“I will buy you time as much as the life in me can burn!”

Tonyo couldn’t believe it. He saw the man who swore to protect them plunging head first into the battle. A complicated emotion flashed in his face before running away.

“I suddenly hope the two of you didn’t die so you can see him with your own eyes. He became a man now.”

“Our son. Your son, Aurora. My rival’s son and also my son.”

“Father, stand up!”

But no matter how Tobirane scream, the heaven was merciless. Ilocos squinted his eyes before lowering his hand. Thousands of arrows hissed as they rained down towards them.

Woosh.

But suddenly, a black figure spun and shielded them from the rain.

As if Sarah and co. couldn’t feel the impaled arrows in their body, they watched the scene they would never forget.

“Shut up.”

“Shut up!” The monster said weakly. Tobirane’s eyelids drooped. It felt heavy, but the child struggled to look at his father for one last time.

“You cheated me. You can speak.”

Tonyo hugged Tobirane, reminiscing about the adventures they had made together. Alas, he could feel the coldness in the latter’s hands.

The monster turned around and faced the trio. On its face, tiny droplets started to fall.

It, no, He, wasn’t a monster anymore. What they saw was an expression too humane to be called a monster.

“Your words hurt deeper more than any blade in this world. But I suddenly felt being called monster wasn’t bad at all.” His voice trembled as he looked at Ben before looking at the body in his arms.

Then, it faced forward, to the bastards who were the source of his pain!

Uwaaaaaaah! He roared in anguish! He jumped into the flock of villagers like a wolf against a herd of sheep!

His claws slashed in every direction. Arrows flew and pitchforks stabbed his weak body. His eyes were red in agony. Blood and flesh spilled on the ground. It should be a gory sight.

But why they could feel deep sadness in their hearts?

That a monster? They asked themselves. But what they saw was the despairing and pitiful back of someone losing his loved one.

The fight got finished instantly. Only the lone body of the monster lying on the ground had a breath left. It tried to stand up but failed. Only he could do was to crawl toward the trio.

It may pause from pain, but it didn’t stop. There was only one thing in his eyes. Soon, he passed the trio. It gasped before lying beside a small body.

It was Tobirane, sleeping with a peaceful face.

The demon smiled. On its pupils mirrored the boy called Tobirane. Gripped in the latter’s hand was a necklace made of beautiful stones and grasses. It fell to the ground, producing a sharp clicking sound.

Maybe this wasn’t a bad outcome, the former thought. Then his eyes gradually closed.

Sunlight pierced through the dense leaves of the forest, shining on the two faces lying there lovingly.

Huff. Ilocos and Karmen ran. They thanked their lucky stars they managed to escape.

But the former felt awful. Everything should be perfect. Why did the monster suddenly gain strength? Or that wasn’t strength? They couldn’t understand!

But the person arrived before them understood it perfectly. Only parents would have that kind of strength.

Chills ran through the duo’s spine but icy blade didn’t hesitate and decapitate them.

“That’s what you get for underestimating a parent’s love.”

Rollin undid his ice blade before running towards the forest. But after several minutes, he stopped.

“I know you are in there.” He spoke to the trees. Leaves rustled and shadows moved. Figures in various shapes and sized surrounded him. In the front stood a large demon–it was Marakur.

“You may be able to escape if you didn’t kill that father and daughter.” This made Rollin squinted his eyes and created an ice blade and sculptures.

Woosh. The demons lunged like hyenas against a lone wolf.

Rollin became desperate. He still wanted to feel the familiar warmth. The embrace she gave when he failed to produce a simple ice sculpture. She motivated him… even until now she was dead. He had promised her! To her dying breath! And promised again on her deathbed!

“I can’t lose!”

But he got ultimately defeated.

Marakur pulled out a collar before walking towards Rollin. Even though he also had emotions, he couldn’t understand the latter. Maybe because he had plenty of resources and was more fortunate than him.

Marakur shook his head at these unnecessary thoughts.

“What are you doing? What? Noooo! Argh!” When the collar got forced on Rollin’s neck, small needles punctured his skin.

Suddenly, a terrible pain gushed in his head. The pain was many times then any pain he had felt before. He went crazy and wheezed like a rabid dog.

“Good. You are now my pet. You are not Rollin of Manecoon Clan anymore. I shall call you—Bone Fetcher.”

Grimo squinted. His shadows subdued the assailants with ease. But abruptly, his brows twitched. His eyes locked on the figure sprinting towards him. The person had a mask of hatred as he willed a ruler-like sword.

“GRIMOOOO!!!

The Grimo smiled. He was also expecting their reunion!

Grimo should be a hundred miles from the County of Hopes and Dreams now, but Von still caught up with him. All the more their fight became inevitable! Shadows upon shadows emerged and faced off the humans coming in every direction!

Swoosh!

End of Volume 2

3