Chapter 5- Walk About
459 2 17
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Underdark- Unending Abyss Region
Eternal Night- Shadows Fall Keep

I ducked under the swinging sword and lashed out with a fist, while my Attributes had tanked since I had rerolled, some physics still ruled this world. My opponent grunted from the blow as I followed it up, my sword streaking for his exposed ribs. "BREAK!' a voice sounded from off to the side of the Combat Arena and I pulled my swing and stepped back from my opponent. 'Baker, what in the Abyss are you thinking. He is a level one newbie and he was wiping the floor with you. Do better. Newbie, get over here!" James Shadowwalker barked out and I walked over to the guard Sergeant as he studied me. 

"Sir?" I asked him and he frowned.

"One, I work for a living so don't call me sir. Two, don't fight angry. You could have had a killing blow sooner if you hadn't made some stupid mistakes earlier in the fight.' James lectured and I nodded my head in agreement. 'You left yourself exposed multiple times and a more experienced opponent would have used them to end you. Anger is a tool, control it, don't let it control you." the man finished and I gave him a slight nod. 

"Sorry, but Talia was frustrating me and trying to make me Enthrall someone when I wasn't ready to do it. I can't until I get a Class and find out what type of fighting style I am going to pursue." I told the other Vampire. 

James grunted before calling out another set of names causing two more new guards to enter the ring. "Understandable, and the offer is open to train with us and I could unlock the Battle Warden Class for you, but you showed no interest in it," he replied and I didn't. 

While I was still considering getting the Ranger Class again, but with the situation and the Racial Abilities and Skills, I was better suited with a melee type Class. While Battle Wardens were pure melee with some support Skills, they were only tanks. I might eventually end up as a tank, but even if I did, it wouldn't be as a Battle Warden. 

No to fight the Paladins, Templars, and other followers of the 'Light' I would need an edge. Something that could offset their magical skills and abilities. So that meant I had to pursue a Dark Paladin, Dark Templar, or some other equivalent Class and Specialization. "Thank you for allowing me to spar with your men Sergeant, I needed to work out my frustrations," I told him and the man nodded and offered his hand to shake. 

I grasped it quickly, "You are welcome back at any time Jacob. Someone is almost always here." he told me before I walked off but stopped as I noticed a notification waiting for me. 

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Man of the People

Notice: Despite having many responsibilities and unknown problems, you stopped and took time to learn and get to know the common guards of the new city you find yourself in. While most Vampires at your rank would ignore them, you have recognized their efforts and have even assisted in training some of their newer members. They will remember this act and respond accordingly in the future. You have received 500 Experience, various Combat Skills unlocked, Your Reputation with the City Guards of Eternal Night has increased to Friendly

<<<>>>

Skill Unlocked: Unarmed Combat
Skill Level: 1 
Skill Type: Passive
Description: Fists, legs, feet, your entire body is a weapon that can cause damage to your enemies. This training and learning can also boost your damage with all other weapons. 
Effect 1: Increases Unarmed Combat damage by 5%.
Effect 2: Increases Armed Combat damage by 1.5%.
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

Skill Unlocked: Bladed Weapons
Skill Level: 2
Skill Type: Passive
Description: Bladed Weapons, such as claymores, swords, daggers, and cutlasses, can cause massive damage to foes. Bladed Weapons are especially effective against animals and lightly armored opponents. 
Effect 1: Increases Bladed Weapons damage by 7%.
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

Skill Unlocked: Dodge
Skill Level: 1
Skill Type: Passive
Description: If you cannot block or deflect an attack, get the hell out of the way. Hopefully, you won't die!!
Effect 1: Increase chance to Evade an attack by 5%.
Range: N/A
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

Skill Unlocked: Parry
Skill Level: 1
Skill Type: Passive
Description: Being able to block or deflect incoming attacks can be the difference between life and death. 
Effect 1: Increase the chance to deflect an attack by 5%.
Effect 2: 10% Chance that counterattack will trigger
Range: Melee
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A
---Counterattack increases users movement/attack speed by 125%

Skill Unlocked: Conditioning
Skill Level: 1
Skill Type: Passive
Description: No pain, no gain. After what you've been through, the little things seem less important. 
Effect 1: Pain felt due to effort, status effects, or injuries is reduced by 2%.
Range: N/A
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

<<<>>>

1 x Level up!

You have (15) unassigned Attribute Points. Attribute Points can be assigned at any time.

You have (2) unassigned Skill Points. Skill Points can be assigned at any time.

<<<>>>

I dismissed the information and placed the practice blade on a nearby weapons rack. While most of the Keep was still heavily damaged, the barracks building and nearby training facilities were still relatively intact. I looked around one last time, Shadows Fall was a mix of gothic castle and palace, a heavily damaged one at that. The large wooden gates were torn off their hinges but a dozen guards were stationed nearby and ignored my presence as I walked away. 

"Where are you going?" I flinched and glared at the man the dropped out of Stealth nearby. 

"Got a name?' I asked him and he remained silent. 'Ok asshole it is, I am going to walk around the city and see the sights, get to know it. Ok, asshole?" I told him as he frowned at his new name as I continued to walk down the cobbled street. Shadows Fall was at the highest location within the walls of the city, which meant I was walking downhill for now. 

"I am Ezekiel, I keep watch on possible threats to the city and its people. You should not go walking around the city alone, that is why the Lady Lightsbane wished for you to take a Thrall. To guide and protect you while you are still new." Ezekiel explained and I frowned as I looked at him. 

"So you are the spymaster for her or for what was the Vampire kingdom?" I asked him and he grimaced but nodded.

"My formal title is 'Master of Shadows' but it is an empty title with the state of things. The city is far from stable, both external and new internal threats remain.' Ezekiel explained as we continued to walk and I studied our surroundings. 'She is in a precarious position and more than one House would see you out and about alone, as a vulnerability to use and exploit." the man explained and I snorted.

"Let me guess, you want me to head back?' I asked and he gave me a slight nod and I shook my head. 'Not going to happen. I won't hide behind her or anyone. That doesn't mean I will be stupid, I will stay in public areas and keep at least a few people in sight at all times. I was a Ranger, I know how to avoid unwanted attention and ditch someone following me if I want." I told the other Vampire who snorted. 

"You have never walked these streets, you do not know the powers that reside here, nor are you anywhere as skilled as you once were. It will take time for you to build your strength back up and until you do, your strength is minimal." Ezekiel commented and I shrugged my shoulders as I pulled up the in-game map and headed for the first location. 

"This is short-sighted and foolish." the other man snapped and I stopped and rounded on him. 

"Well genius, how am I supposed to get a Class or Specialization, or help these people while stuck in the keep?" I asked the other man before turning and walking away. 

The Inner City Market was an open bazaar lined with shops on all sides. Despite the damage to the city, only about a quarter of the market looked to have sustained any damage. However, it was mostly empty, a few stalls were open with merchants plying their wares. I was tempted to sell off some of my gear, but I might need it in the future. Since I had no idea what Class I would end up with, I couldn't stop either. I had generic gear, a few rings that boosted critical Attributes like Vitality, Constitution, and Spirit, but in the long run, specialized gear was what defined you and amplified your Class strengths. 

The market, as barren as it was, was filled with people that worked with a purpose. The war they had survived had not broken them, but it would be a long time before the city and its people had fully recovered. I sighed at the sad sight and brought up my map again and made for the House of Remembrance, whatever it was. 

Ten minutes later, I was standing in front of a large squat building. It was built like a mausoleum but was more ornate with statues and gardens around it. It almost felt like one of the many temples I had visited all over Arakon, but there was no god or goddess icons or symbols anywhere. I stopped near one of the people and grabbed his attention, "Excuse me sir?' the man looked at me and nodded. 'Sorry, but I am new here and I was wondering what exactly is the House of Remembrance? What is its purpose?" I asked him and his eyes bulged slightly.

"You are the one that released us?' he asked and I gave him a small nod causing him to smile and throw his arms around me as he hugged me. 'Thank you for releasing us. Now to answer your question, the House of Remembrance is a location where you can access important memories from our Race's past going back to the First Vampire. We lack any of his direct memories, but we have several from his children that they passed down to us. Think of it as a library but you can experience firsthand, what happened. Understand?" the man asked and I gave him a small nod as I contemplated the information. 

Genetic memories were a concept in the real world, memories that left such an impression on a person it had been bound into their very DNA. This was a direct application of that theory. Some even thought that not only knowledge but skills could also be passed down. Yet what was 'real' here, was only unproven theory back in the real world. "Thank you, sir, if I come across anything I want to experience myself, I will let you know. Are there any rules or laws I should be aware of before making a request?" I asked the robed figure.

"No, it is first-come, first-served, it doesn't matter what your House or station is. Be well and once again, thank you." the man responded as I walked away, heading for the library and hoping I would find something normal there. 

17