Chapter 9- Harbinger
421 4 16
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Underdark- Unending Abyss Region
Eternal Night- Shadows Fall Keep

The only light in the room was a small brazier with a purple-black flame lighting the room. "You are certain, once you begin to walk down this path, there is no going back.' Oren warned me and I gave him a small nod. 'Very well, we will begin. Do not leave the room and do nothing unless I say so." the Orc warned me and I gave him another nod as purple light filled his eyes as he grasped my arm again.

"We come before the Dark, one who has walked in the Darkness for many years and one who is prepared to step into darkness. To protect, to serve as its Champion.' Oren formerly intoned and the brazier flared slightly as I felt the ice-cold power flow through me once again. 'This initiate is known as Jacob Longstrider, a Vampire, one who is Immortal and wishes to serve the Dark. He wishes to protect his people from those who would persecute and kill. He is prepared to give the final price if necessary. I beseech your judgment and acceptance into our ranks as a brother and fellow Dark Templar." Oren formerly intoned and he hissed and jerked slightly.

Suddenly the Orcs eyes flared again and Oren's' grip on me tightened. "Well, well, well, I have not seen a Vampire in a long time, much less one who wished to join the ranks of the Dark Templars.' a voice intoned through the Orc and I knew it was not Oren speaking but something else. 'You will do Immortal, but do not let your vendetta determine your future. Your new people need leadership and more if they hope to survive the coming days. Are you prepared to shoulder this responsibility?" it asked me. 

I frowned as I considered both the question and my response. "I will do what I must, I will not let the Vampires fade back into oblivion and you have my word I will not let my issues take precedence over my work here," I responded and after a few moments the being nodded. 

"Very well, now how will you serve...what aptitudes do you have?' the being wondered out loud. 'Oh, yes you will do nicely. A Harbinger, a leader, a Champion at the forefront. A bright fire to lite a beacon for the Dark. Yes, you will do fine. Oren will know how to test you and I will be watching Jacob Longstrider, Dark Templar." the voice finished as I felt another surge of power flooding into me and when it was done it left both me and the Orc exhausted and gasping for breath as the purple fire dimmed slightly as a Quest Notification flashed in front of my eyes.

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Dark Awakening

Notice: After a talk with the Dark, you were found acceptable by the being and initiated into the Dark Templar ranks. It recognized your potential and granted you the temporary Specialization of Harbinger. You must complete an initiation Quest to permanently gain the Specialization though. You have received 10,000 Experience, 50 Renown, Class Change Dark Templar (Permanent), Class Specialization Harbinger (Probationary), Harbinger Skill Tree Unlocked, and Mark of the Dark Templar.

<<<>>>

4 X Level up!

You have (40) unassigned Attribute Points. Attribute Points can be assigned at any time.

You have (7) unassigned Skill Points. Skill Points can be assigned at any time. 

<<<>>>

Class: Dark Templar
Class Specialization: Harbinger
Description: You are a Champion of the Dark, a Dark Templar. Like the Templars of the Light, you fight for those who are defenseless. While a Templar of the Light, uses Light magic, a Dark Templar uses the Umbra and Shadow Magic. As a Harbinger, you are at the forefront of the fight between the Dark, Light, and anyone who would abuse the defenseless. 

Advantages...
Effect 1: +5% Health Regeneration, +1% Health Regeneration per 4 Character Levels (Current= %)
Effect 2: +5% Stamina Regeneration, +1% Stamina Regeneration per 4 Character Levels (Current= %)
Effect 3: +5% Spirit Regeneration, +1% Spirit Regeneration per 5 Character Levels (Current= %)
Effect 4: Immune to Morale Failure
Effect 5: 'Dark' Alignment
Effect 6: +20% Resistance to Shadow Damage.
Effect 7: +10% Damage to Light, Holy, and Chaos Aligned Immortals and Locals.

Disadvantages...
Effect 1: Physical Combat and Heavy Armor are a constant drain upon your Stamina
Effect 2: Hybrid Class
Effect 3: High Spirit costs.

Note...
Attack Strength is calculated as a 'Warrior' class by the Strength Attribute. 
Spell Strength is calculated by the Spirit Attribute.
Health Pool and Health Regeneration are increased by the Vitality Attribute.
Stamina Pool and Stamina Regeneration are increased by the Constitution Attribute. 
Spirit Pool and Spirit Regeneration are increased by Spirit Attribute. 

Playstyle...
While they do have the ability to bring harm to their enemies, the Harbinger excels at the tank role in any group. You will depend heavily on your Vitality and Constitution to both endure the damage and stay mobile in long fights.

<<<>>>

Well shit, I knew when I had changed after everything that had happened I had no idea I had changed that much. "Here.' Oren shoved a silver ring into my hand. It was small with a black stone embedded into it, with an icon of a kneeling being surrounding by a purple halo of energy. 'That is your ring and mark of your station within our ranks. It will identify you as a Dark Templar to those who know what it means. Now you have passed the first part of your test, but you still have to pass the second part." Oren stated as he slowly stood on shaky legs as he moved to the window and threw open the curtains and shutters allowing light to flood the room and so he could douse the unnatural fire. 

"You know the city has fallen, the outer portions are now inhabited by all manner of being from the Underdark. To reclaim the city fully, we must also drive those creatures out or force them to submit to our will. I do not expect you to do all of this in one day though.' Oren explained as he gestured to the lower sections of the city that hadn't been repaired at all. 'Out there Underdark Spiderlings have nested within a portion of the Lower City. Find their nest and destroy it, do this and you will be a Harbinger in both name and deed." the Orc stated as a Quest Notification popped up. 

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Dark Harbinger

Description: Harbingers are at the forefront of any fight, your Dark Templar trainer has charged you with such a task. Travel to the lower portions of the Eternal Night and seek out the Underdark Spiderling lair and destroy it so that the people of the city can start reclaiming the outer portions of the city. 

Quest Class: Class-Based; Ultra Rare

Quest Difficulty: Hard

Success: Find the Spiderling Lair and destroy it. Return to Oren Dulkem in Shadows Fall Keep upon completion of the Quest.

Failure: Do not find the Spiderling lair and destroy it or die in the attempt.

Rewards: 15,000 Experience, Class Specialization Harbinger (Permanent), Harbinger Skill Tree Unlocked (Permanent), Unknown

Note* This Quest is compulsory due to your Class. 

<<<>>>

I dismissed the information and gave the Orc a nod before striding from the man's rooms and heading for the kitchen and dining area. I needed to eat, review my Character Sheet, invest my Attribute Points and Skill Points, and finally pick out and Enthrall those who wanted to follow me into a dangerous situation. 

Twenty minutes later I was sitting down, eating soup with bread and some juice as I reviewed my Character Sheet. As a tank, Vitality, and Constitution would be my most important Attributes, followed by Strength and Spirit to boost both my physical and magical damage. I started with Vitality and Constitution, dumping eight points into each one. Then I invested three points into Strength, Intelligence, and Spirit leaving me with fifteen Attribute Points. After some consideration, I split them evenly between Vitality, Constitution, and Strength before panning over to the Harbinger Skill Tree. 

At my current Level, I could only use the most basic Skills. A passive, a charge ability, and an offensive spell would be my skill set until I got to level ten and unlocked my Tier two Class Skills. Yet I was ignoring the plethora of General Skill Trees that anyone could invest in, yet like my Class Skill Tree due to my low levels in my few common Skills, I couldn't invest into anything there. 

"Excuse me.' I dismissed the screen in front of me to see Talia looking at me with a bemused grin on her face. 'I was told by Oren you passed part of your initiation and you will be heading out into the lower portions of the city for the other half of your test?" Talia asked me and I gave her a small nod.

"Yes and before you ask, yes I plan on taking at least one Thrall if they agree to go with me. If not, I will do it alone." I told her before she could say anything but she waved off my concern.

"I did not come to bother you about that, you will take a Thrall or Thralls when you are ready. I came to give you something. A weapon I think will help you in the coming days that has served our people well. Consider it another investment in your future." she told me as she produced a cloth-wrapped bundle and laid it on the table before me.

I looked at it and then her before pulling back the cloth. The sheath was pitch black but I recognized it for what it was Dragon or Drake skin. The hilt was the same, with silver and gold wire wrapping around it, with a black diamond capping the end. I pulled the blade out and noticed it was pitch black with silver edges. Runes of burning purple energy were inscribed upon the length of the blade, which was between two and a half and three feet long and had a double edge. I felt an odd buzz and I grasped the hilt and could feel it could be used one or two-handed as needed. I brought up the stats of it and grimaced.

<<<>>>

Weapon Name: Moonlight
Weapon Type: Bladed Weapons; Adamant, Shadow Steel, Gold and Silver Wire, Black Diamonds, Two-Handed Arming Sword
Class: Ancient Artifact; Living Weapon (Level 1)
Base Damage: 45
Primary Effect...
--- +30 Shadow Damage + (Character Level X 0.25)
--- Increase Vitality by (Character Level X 0.25)
--- Increase Spirit by (Character Level X 0.25)
--- +5 Constitution
--- +5 Strength
Secondary Effects...
--- Living Weapon's Gift: +400 Experience per Kill
--- Living Weapon's Price: -200 Experience per Kill
--- Moonlight Skill Tree Unlocked

'Forged with the Blood and Hope of the Vampire people, Moonlight will never break while wielded in service to those in need.'

<<<>>>

I felt what I could only describe as the excitement from the weapon and I shuddered. "I don't think I can take this Talia, it is too much," I told her and she backed away slightly.

"It has accepted you and until you reject it, Moonlight will accept no other. It is both a boon and a responsibility. Do not fail it and Moonlight will never fail you." Talia informed me before turning and leaving me. I spotted James nearby talking to a few guards and shoved the blade back into its sheath and into my Inventory for the moment before making it over to the guard.

"James, can I ask for a favor? One I am willing to pay for." I asked the other Vampire as I sat near him and he nodded as he looked up from his food. 'I need some gear, does the City Guard have any I can borrow or pay for until I can get my own." I asked the man and he chuckled. 

"Of course, what type of gear do you need.' the other man asked and I listed what I needed and what I wanted if possible. 'I can get you some basic gear, nothing special, but should fill all your needs. Meet me in an hour at the Combat Arena, if you need anything else that you forgot, message me. Ok?" he asked and I nodded as I moved back to my food to eat and plan. 

16