Chapter 12- Clear and Present Danger
364 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Underdark- Unending Abyss Region
Eternal NightUpper City
Shadow's Fall Keep

"You know you will be held responsible if this Orc becomes a problem," James warned me and I grunted and turned to Isiah who was splitting his glare between the unconscious Orc and me. 

"You should be aware, yesterday while I was out in the city, I was attacked by Thralls. They warned me off about getting involved in politics. Do you have any idea what they were talking about?" I asked the other Vampire causing him to lock down his expression and I knew whatever he told me would probably be a lie or deflection, a slight chirp in my ear notified me I had received a notification, but it wasn't a priority. 

"You should speak with the Queen if it concerns politics. As far as this new problem goes...We will aid him, but if he becomes a threat to the city we will end his life." Isiah responded before turning and leaving the room and barracks. 

"Not like the Orc can do much, he was pretty fucked up when we found him.' I commented absently to no one in particular. 'James, can you make certain two guards are stationed outside the room and notify me whenever he wakes up? There is a story here and I want to know what it is." I told him and he grunted in response and I took that as he would do as I headed out of the barracks building and into the Keep. 

After ten minutes of walking through the various corridors, I finally arrived back at Oren's room. The other Dark Templar opened it and smiled as he saw me. The large Orc wrapped his arms around me and gave me a hug I was fairly certain bruised some of my ribs, before releasing me. "Congratulations on ending one of the threats in the lower city." the Orc commented and I smiled at him.

"Yes, but we stumbled across a survivor the Brood Mother had webbed up and we found an egg that can become a Brood Mother, but I have to find a Monster Tamer to do so," I told the Orc causing him to consider his words before responding. 

"I would suggest you speak to the Queen, if anyone can tell you if a Monster Tamer survived the siege, it would be here.' Oren commented before waving my words off. 'That is not why you are here. You completed your final test and you are now confirmed Dark Templar and Harbinger. We have a long road ahead of us and although it will be difficult, you have people around you that will be there every step of the way." the Orc told me before moving to a nearby chest and retrieved a pair of wristguards and handing them to me. 

"These are yours. A little something to help you and I notice you need them." the Orc chuckled as my notifications popped up.

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Tangled Web

Notice: You completed the secret quest and reported the strange event where you were ambushed and told to stay out of politics. Who, why, and what politics are unknown, but it is certain that this is not over. You have received 500 Experience, your Reputation with Isiah Tamilian has increased to Friendly, your Reputation with the Heart Guard has increased to Neutral.

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Dark Harbinger

Notice: You proved your metal and led a small group in destroying the Underdark Spiderling nest located in the lower city of Eternal Night. While it is far from secure, you have taken a step in making it that way. You have received 15,000 Experience, Class Specialization Harbinger (Permanent), Harbinger Skill Tree Unlocked (Permanent), Dark Templar's Plated Vambraces, increase Reputation with the Dark Templars of Eternal Night.

<<<>>>

2 X Level up!

You have (20) unassigned Attribute Points. Attribute Points can be assigned at any time.

You have (8) unassigned Skill Points. Skill Points can be assigned at any time. 

<<<>>>

Armor Name: Dark Templar's Plate Vambraces
Armor Type: Heavy Armor; Shadow Steel, Blackened Leather, Black Diamonds, Silver, Wristguards
Class: Ancient Artifact
Base Defense: 60
Primary Effects...
--- Increase Strength by (Character Level X 0.5)
--- Increase Spirit by (Character Level X 0.5)
--- +10% Parry
--- +10% Attack Speed
Secondary Effects...
--- +10% Damage with Shadow Bolt, Shadow Strike, and Shadow Flames
--- +25% Critical Hit Damage
--- Class Restricted: Harbinger

<<<>>>

"Thank you, Oren, I will not forget this. What is the next step in securing the lower city?" I asked the Orc and the other Dark Templar studied me more closely before nodding. 

"Very well, within the lower city awaits two more challenges before we can move in force to retake it. The first you are ready for, but the second is beyond you for now.' Oren replied as rubbed his chin before continuing. 'I am sure you noticed the Goblins while in the lower city. From what we have been able to gather, they are led by a few powerful magic users and an Orc. Kill them and the others will be easily subjugated or scattered. Hunt down the Shaman Idra Gutterwhipe, the Warlock Isra Cull, and the Orc Berserker Treg Burrows. Destroy them or capture them and the others will break." Oren warned me as the Quest popped up in front of me.

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Fight for Eternal Night!

Description: With the future of the Vampire people in peril, controlling the city of Eternal Night is critical, and currently half of it is uninhabitable because monsters from the Underdark occupy it. One of the threats you must deal with is the Goblins that have moved into portions of the Lower City. Hunt down their key leaders and the others can easily be conquered or scattered by the defeat. Kill or capture the Shaman Idra Gutterwhipe, the Warlock Isra Cull, and the Orc Berserker Treg Burrows

Quest Class: Quest Chain; Rare

Quest Difficulty: Moderate

Success: Kill or Capture the Shaman Idra Gutterwhipe, the Warlock Isra Cull, and the Orc Berserker Treg Burrows.

Failure: Do not kill or capture the Shaman Idra Gutterwhipe, the Warlock Isra Cull, and the Orc Berserker Treg Burrows.

Rewards: 20,000 Experience, Unknown

Accept? Yes or No

<<<>>>

I accepted the Quest, it would help drive the story forward and hopefully help me figure out how exactly I was supposed to rebuild both Eternal Night and the Vampire Race. "I will do this Oren," I told the other man and he clapped me on the shoulder.

"Take your time, gather your strength, recruit more Thralls. This will not be an easy task." He warned me and I headed out, to find some food and figure out what the next step would be. 

"Lord Longstrider?' I looked up to see one of the many servants still running around despite the state of the place. 'If you will follow me, I will lead you to the suite where you and your Thralls are staying." she told me with a slight bow so I made the 'lead on' gesture and she smiled before turning and walking down the corridor as I looked at the time.

Between the ritual to attain my Specialization and hunting down the Brood Mother, we had burned through most of the day. So I didn't have time to pursue the Quest in the lower city, but I did have time to track down the books for the city library. Then I could start reading about what led to the founding and downfall of the Compact. I also had no idea when our uninvited guest would wake up, I know there was another Quest there. 

"Here you are, sir. These are your suites while you are staying within Shadows Fall. There is one master bedroom with an attached bath, two additional bedrooms with a shared bath, a common area, and a small veranda and garden.' the servant explained as she ushered me into the room. 'The other individual rooms further down the hallway, are for your Thralls or Vassals if you decide to Sire any Vampires. Your Thralls have already taken up residence in two of the rooms further down the hall, but four remain unoccupied at this time. Do you need anything else my lord?" she asked as I studied the opulent rooms.

"Umm...Yes, is the kitchen open?' I asked earning a giggle and nod. 'Thank you, can you make sure they send up three meals to my room and have them delivered in half an hour. Also, can you recommend a blacksmith that will both repair and sell armor?" I asked as I pointed to my current armor that was in desperate need of repair. 

She smiled and bowed slightly. "Of course my lord, but I know Drax could easily guide you, sir. The smith, Gundrick, own the Broken Anvil. He is located not far from the Keep, follow the road down the hill to the first square, take a left and it will be the third shop on your left. It has a garish sign above his door and very hard to miss." she told me and I fished a Silver Mark from my Inventory and gave it to her earning a smile before she left me to my own devices. 

I moved outside and looked out on the veranda, it had a small dining area so if people wanted to eat outside, they could. The gardens were pretty barren, but it was apparent they were coming back despite the damage they had received. I felt annoyance from the sword and pulled it from its sheath as I moved to one of the seats. I pulled up its stats and noticed it had gained a level and its stats had changed.

Spoiler

Weapon Name: Moonlight
Weapon Type: Bladed Weapons; Adamant, Shadow Steel, Gold and Silver Wire, Black Diamonds, Two-Handed Arming Sword
Class: Ancient Artifact; Living Weapon (Level 2)
Base Damage: 50
Primary Effect...
--- +35 Shadow Damage + (Character Level X 0.3)
--- Increase Vitality by (Character Level X 0.3)
--- Increase Spirit by (Character Level X 0.3)
--- +5 Constitution
--- +5 Strength
Secondary Effects...
--- Living Weapon's Gift: +400 Experience per Kill
--- Living Weapon's Price: -200 Experience per Kill
--- Moonlight Skill Tree Unlocked

'Forged with the Blood and Hope of the Vampire people, Moonlight will never break while wielded in service to those in need.'

[collapse]

While the stat changes were minimal, every little bit helped with both survival and success. I shifted to the swords Skill Tree and brought up its information with a thought. 

  Moonlight Skill Tree...  
  Spiritual Bond (Unlocked)  
Umbra Infusion (Locked)   Shadow Edge (Locked)
Umbra Pulse (Locked)   Leeching Shadows (Locked)
  Overwhelming Shadow (Locked)  

While the Skill Tree was minimal and didn't expect much as far as an expansive Skill Tree anyways. I only had one choice so I invested the point into Spiritual Bond causing the sword to jolt slightly in my hands. "Ahh...finally, thanks, boss." I heard and I frowned and looked down at the blade.

"Moonlight?" I asked got a chuckle as I reviewed the Skill information.

<<<>>>

Skill Name: Spiritual Bond
Skill Level: Initiate
Skill Type: Passive
Description: While you might never be best friends, with Spiritual Bond, you can at least talk directly to Moonlight, not just interpret feelings. 
Damage: N/A
Effect 1: Unlocks Mental Connection with Moonlight to communicate.
Effect 2: +10% Bladed Weapons Damage
Effect 3: +5% Parry
AoE: N/A
Range: N/A
Cast Time: N/A
Cost: N/A
Cooldown: N/A

<<<>>>

Well, that explained it. "So, how are you dealing with all of this?" I asked the blade absently.

"Pretty well boss, I have been locked up for a while for many reasons, but I liked you from the first time I set eyes on you. You got potential and you are not arrogant like most of the Vampires and you are an Immortal, so even if you die, you will come back. So I don't have to try and break in a new wielder. Now, go shove me into the wardrobe so I can get cleaned, those spiders tasted horrible and you don't want to know what I smell like right now." the blade commented earning a chuckle as I got to my feet and found the master bedroom and quickly stripped out of my gear and tossed the armor and weapon in. 

Magically the sword and armor were sorted, automatically and I heard a contented sigh from Moonlight while I headed for the bath to get cleaned myself and send some messages to June, Drax, and Talia. 

12