Chapter 16- The Power of Blood
289 2 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Underdark- Unending Abyss Region
Eternal NightLower City

I frowned as I gazed around the room and the bodies were strewn across it. Like the Warlock, the Shaman Idra Gutterwhipe had fled instead of facing a stronger opponent. I was beginning to wonder if this Quest was demanding a showdown between all three of them against my party. "Jacob!' I looked over to see June holding up some armor from the chest we had found. 'I think this will be considered an upgrade for you?" the Drow asked.

I snorted in amusement as her lips twisted in a smirk. "At this point pretty much anything I get would be considered an upgrade," I told her as I took the offered gauntlets and boots. True neither one would replace my chainmail shirt and leggings, but any upgrade would be welcome at this point. 

The boots and gloves were both still mainly leather but had strips of light plate armor reinforcing them. I was thinking of commissioning a full set of armor based on what I had researched about heavier armors, but that cost a truckload of money or resources. Neither one I had an overabundance of currently. I pulled up the stats of the two items and nodded my thanks to June.

<<<>>>

Armor Name: Warbound Plated Gauntlets
Armor Type: Heavy Armor; Steel Plate, Leather, Cotton, Gloves
Class: Rare
Base Defense: 45
Primary Effects...
--- +5 Vitality
--- +10 Strength
--- +5% Parry

Armor Name: Plated Boots of the Dread Warrior
Armor Type: Heavy Armor; Steel Plate, Leather, Cotton, Boots
Class: Rare
Base Defense: 50
Primary Effects...
--- +5 Vitality
--- +10 Constitution
--- +5 Stamina Regeneration

<<<>>>

They were nothing special, and if I hadn't seen the stats on Drex's gear, I would have offered the armor to the Berserker first, but the Orc had a full armor set. It's probably the only reason why he survived the Spiderlings in the first place. I quickly switched the gauntlets and boots out and tossed my old gear into my Inventory to sale later or keep as spares. 

"So we are just going to walk in there?" Sessa asked as she finished eating her snack. 

I looked at June and smiled, "I was hoping our Dark Ranger would be willing to scout out the approached where they are supposed to be and see what we are facing." I told them and June rolled her eyes but agreed. I quickly fired off the map information to the Drow and after a few moments, she faded into Stealth and disappeared into the gloom surrounding the lower city. 

I gave her a thirty count before following, I was on point with Sessa and Drax following a few feet behind with Drex bringing up the rear. We had managed to kill a good amount of Goblins and individual Orc warriors that were out roaming the ruin of the lower city, I was hoping with their number thinned it would be easier to deal with the three targets and break the invaders for good. 

Twenty minutes of cautious travel netted us three more patrols, but otherwise, the trip was relatively peaceful. June finally rejoined us less than a block away from where the map indicated our quarry was waiting. "They are there, the Goblin Shaman, Warlock, and a large Orc that seems to be very angry. The Goblins are urging the Orc to leave this place, but the Orc refuses for some reason.' June reported as she considered her words but before I could prompt her she continued. 'It's apparent they were sent by someone. Who or why I don't know. They have a half a dozen Orcs loitering about, but no Goblins other than the Shaman and Warlock that fled from us earlier." June reported as she drew out a hasty map in the dirt at her feet. 

I studied the map intently for a few moments before nodding. "Ok, I will draw them to what remains of the north wall. The Orc Berserker Burrows will be on me quickly with the other Orcs. Once they are committed, Drex, June, and Sessa burn down the Shaman then switch to the Warlock. If possible, I want to try and capture the Orc to find out who sent this Tribe here. Did they know who was here or were they sent to investigate and gain control of the area? We need to know. Understand? Suggestions?" I asked my companion as I unsheathed Moonlight.

None of them said anything so I looked at Drax, "If I have to, I am going to use that one ability, if I lose it, keep me grounded." I told the Orc and after a second he nodded in understanding. 

"As you will my lord. I know even then you will not harm your Thralls, but...' the Shaman glanced at Drex. 'I will keep everyone safe my lord." he told me and I gave him a nod. 

I strode out, for whatever reason, I was nearly halfway to the trio of named targets before I was noticed. Yells and screams broke out around me as Orcs armed themselves. Both Goblins started chanting but the twin Shadow Bolts to their bodies interrupted their casting as I triggered my charge ability. I brought Moonlight down on the Berserker's shoulder as I triggered both Tactical Blow and Shadow Strike, but the plate armor held absorbing some of the damage but Treg's health dropped by a third. 

The Berserker bellowed in rage and triggered his Frenzy and launched an attack at me. I managed to sidestep his swing and blast a Shadow Bolt point-blank into his chest before I started retreating towards the north wall as I triggered my taunt.

Whatever hesitation my opponents had was wiped out in an instant as the other six Orcs charged me. Treg shook off my surprise attack and followed the other Orcs in a blind attack on me. Once I reached my position I turned back to face the charging Orcs and with only a little hesitation I triggered Vampiric Transformation. I was hesitant to use the Ability because last time it had felt like I was riding shotgun in my own body, but this time it was different. I just felt the cold rage and whatever the charging Orcs saw in me, two of them hesitated as a snarl and roar tore its way from my throat.

My hand darted up, two Shadow Bolts slammed into the hesitating Orc. "Cowards!' I hissed out before my eyes fell on the charging Berserker. 'Give me a real fight!" got out despite my distended fangs garbling my words. Then my five opponents were on me and I was too busy to worry. You ever feel at peace despite an insane situation you know could go wrong at any moment? That was what I felt. 

I sidestepped there, cut an arm in the next moment, blasted another Orc in the face with a Shadow Bolt, then cut the head of a spear off. All the while smiling like a mad man as the cool rage flowed through me. I laughed and triggered Aura of Terror sending four of the Orcs fleeing as they suffered the Fear Debuff. Two of them cowered in Terror, Moonlight quickly flashed out once relieving one of them of a head before Treg managed to fight through the fear and engage me again. 

The Orc roared in rage as I smirked at his attempts to batter aside my guard. Between Moonlight and my constant movements, I had only received minor wounds so far. "Who ordered you here Orc?" I got out before my shoulders hit the wall behind me. Treg roared again and stepped forward to put his ax in my head but I dove to the side.

The three Shadow Bolts I fired dropped the Berserker to less than fifty percent of his health. Treg looked back just in time to see Drex cut down the Warlock Isra Cull. The Shaman was down, dead or unconscious I had no idea, either way, he was out of the fight. I quickly got to my feet and launched an attack as another of the Orc went down to Fireballs and arrows from Sessa and June.

Somehow the Berserker was keeping up with me, despite the Buff provided by my transformation. It made me wonder what his level was. "You have strength Orc, you are worthy. Surrender and you will live." I offered after our latest exchange of blows. 

The Orc sneered at me. "Why would I bow to such a weak opponent." then the Orc triggered another skill causing the ax in Treg's hand to glow and before I knew it my left leg was almost severed and my health was down to a quarter.

I howled in pain as I dropped to the stone floor. I could hear the others shouting in surprise but I ignored them as Treg stood over me smirking. "Any last words?" the Orc asked and I grimaced in pain as the Orc raised his ax and I showed him a feral smile as Moonlight sliced out severing both his legs at the ankles causing the Orc to scream like a stuck pig as he collapsed half on top of me. 

"Yeah, don't gloat!" I snarled into the terrified Orcs ear as I dragged him closer and instinctively buried my fangs into the man's throat and started feeding as the Orc feebly tried to fight me off. Two things happened, my leg started to heal and my Health Bar stopped dropping, the second major thing that happened was my vision started to distort and fade as I felt myself falling into darkness.

<<<>>>

I could feel myself moving but it wasn't my body, but the body of Treg Burrows. He was striding through the half-finished fortress. Drow and the dead surrounded the Orc but he felt no fear of them, only of the being waiting impatiently ahead of him. Treg went down to one knee, "Mistress, you have called and I have come with all those I command." the grave voice came out of the Orc.

"I called for you three weeks ago you insolent cur, what took you so long?" the Drow snarled as she fingered the dagger at her belt. 

"I apologize, Mistress, your House Matron needed me for another job. As soon as I was free, I brought my troops here." Treg, grit his teeth in frustration and rage. He both hated and feared the Drow in front of him, but that is all I could understand of the current situation. 

"Very well dog. A magical upheaval has occurred nearby. I am too busy directing House Dhalmass efforts against our known foes nearby. I need you to investigate the magical occurrence and report back to me, and only me Treg. Disobey me and I will make you beg for weeks before I sacrifice you to Lolth. Is that understood?" the Drow snarled and Treg bowed lower. 

"Of course Mistress. I know how to be silent." Treg replied to the Drow.

"Good. The investigation will be your primary purpose but I also need you to take a shard of an artifact and deploy it along the way. I will be sending a Warlock with you to help, I know you have worked with her before yes?" the Drow asked and I looked to see Isra Cull stride up holding a small chest in her arms.

"Yes mistress. I have no problem working with Cull as long as she does not try to subvert my authority again. If she does I will kill her." Treg responded, his eyes staring hatred at the smirking Warlock. 

Suddenly the Orc felt a sharp knife at his throat and he was forced to look at the Drow or slit his own throat." Your petty grievances mean nothing to me. Deliver the artifact shard, investigate the upheaval, report back to me.' the Drow moved closer until Treg could feel the Drows lips at his ear. 'Fail me and you will be the first sacrifice here and will consecrate the Altar to Lolth with your blood and life. Do not fail me Treg! Now go!" she snapped before turning and striding away. The Orc felt a slight sting at his neck and knew the Drow had cut him slightly but he did nothing. Defiance meant death for his band and himself. 

He would succeed, take his payment and leave this part of the Underdark. Perhaps go to the surface and raid there or join the Orc kingdom. Anywhere but where the Drow where the Orc vowed to himself as he stood and glared at the Warlock before turning and striding away.

<<<>>>

Suddenly my whole body jolted and I pushed the Orcs body away. Treg was dead but I knew a couple of key pieces of information now, the Drow House who was behind the troubles with the dead. Both the location of where they were operating and where the Orc had deployed the artifact shard. Several notifications were awaiting my attention but I looked down to see my leg mostly healed as Drax ran up, his hands glowing with green energy as he cast another spell on me to bring me back to full health. 

"I think it's safe to say, this threat has been neutralized," I commented earning a snort from the Orc as I chuckled. 

13