Chapter 19- Taking out the Trash
285 1 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Underdark- Unending Abyss Region
Eternal Night- Lower City

Fireballs raced overhead as I parried and dodged the stabbing sword and spears. Drex grunted as one of the spears managed to nick his arm drawing blood. I snarled in frustration and launched a series of wide-sweeping cuts at the defenders pushing them back and allowing the Berserker time to heal up. 

The two Humans and Dwarf flinched back from my sweeps and I thrust my hand foreword. Bog of Plagued Shadows burst up and all around the six defenders. Shouts of surprise drowned out the screams of pain as I moved forward again. Moonlight licking out to hack and stab into the defenders as their movement was crippled. 

The two Humans died but before I could finish the Dwarf, two arrows slammed into my chest taking a third of my health with them.

<<<>>>

Debuffs...

Rangers Poison: 5 DPS (Duration 30 Seconds)
Decreased Vitality: Health is reduced by 10%, Health Regeneration by 20%. (Duration 30 Seconds)
Punctured Lung: Stamina Regeneration decreased by 25% (Duration 180 Seconds)

<<<>>>

I swiped the information away and could see a Wood Elf's vacant stare looking back at me as I tried to control my breathing. My hand shot up and a trio of Shadow Bolts slammed into the Elf before he could fire a third arrow and then I was being pulled back as Drex charged past me as he roared a challenge. 

I grunted in pain as Drax yanked the first arrow out. I pulled a Healing Potion from my belt and downed the contents to help me heal as the Orc yanked the second arrow out. "Take better care of yourself my lord!" the Shaman snapped before hauling me up to my feet. 

I frowned, "No shield!" I called back before turning back to see Drex's ax cleave through a High Elf's upraised arms and into his chest ending whatever spell he had been about to cast. All the nearby opposition was dead. I had been right about being able to hear through the stone, we had encountered almost thirty Thralls and five Vampires so far, but we were close to the end. 

"June, do a quick scan of the hallway and room, see if we got any hidden traps, passageways, or treasure," I told the Drow as I started to loot the bodies. Each body gave up some trash loot, some silver, and even some gold surprisingly with the occasional Health or Spirit Potion, but surprisingly few Stamina Potions.

After a few minutes, June came back shaking her head. "Nothing, bad or good. The only way is up now that we cleaned the lower levels out.' the Dark Ranger reported before continuing. 'I was thinking before, but I am certain now this is a Dark Templar Chapterhouse. You should be wary, if this Vampire you are hunting is a Dark Templar too, he might be resistant or even immune to your skills." the Drow warned me and I grimaced. 

"We do what we must," I told her before recasting my Buffs and taking a moment to eat some dry jerky before pushing on. 

The final hallway ended in what I assumed was a meeting room of some sort but had been turned into a mock throne room by Fredrick and his followers. With the havoc, we had wrecked on their ranks only a half dozen of them remained, including the guys sitting on the mock throne I assumed was Frederick Dasgon. "So she finally built up the nerve to send someone to kill me. I never expected the usurper to be able to order my death." the man stated as he sneered at me as I studied his companions.

Of the seven foes we faced, three were Vampires, the others were all Thralls. I closed my eyes to ensure I could only hear seven heart beats as well. "Well, word finally got back to the throne how self-deluded you have become so it was decided to wipe you out since the other Vampires didn't want you giving them a bad rep with everyone else," I replied causing anger to flash across his face.

"She didn't send you.' Fredrick replied as he sat back for a few seconds before pain briefly flashed across his face. 'Oren sent you, didn't he? That Orc betrayed me, just like the Council did. I was supposed to be king. I was--" I cut him off as I thrust my hand foreword and conjured Bog of Plagued Shadows before trigging my charge skill and taunt. 

"Kill them and try to spare the Thralls!" I shouted as the would-be king jumped to his feet and hastily raised his sword to block my attack as I triggered Vampiric Transformation. My blow managed to batter the sword away and left Fredrick exposed as I triggered Tactical Blow and Shadow Strike causing the other Vampire to scream in agony as Moonlight slammed into his side. 

The man's armor parted easily under the living weapons edge. The chainmail broke and bones snapped as blood flew through the air. I shoulder checked Fredrick into one of his lapdogs as I turned to meet another Vampire as he charged me blindly. I managed to parry the man's blow before launching a counter-attack that opened a wound on his arm as Drex joined the fight with a roar. Then the fight devolved into a mad scramble as Fireballs and arrows added to the bedlam. 

Fredrick somehow managed to get his hands on one of the Thralls and didn't even hesitate to sink his fangs into her throat. Whatever he and the other Vampires had done to them, took their free will and they acted out of reflex and orders from Vampires around them. So the Thrall just stood perfectly still as Fredrick started to suck the life out of her. My Shadow Bolt slammed into his head ruining his plans to heal up.

"Coward, weakling, this is why you are no king." I snarled at him as I sent a series of cuts his way as he did his best to backpedal away from me, but something about this guy pissed off my Vampiric side for some reason. So I pressed him as best as I could with Moonlight, while occasionally throwing a Shadow Bolt in the mix. 

My assault left him crippled and bleeding out from multiple wounds. "Mercy!" he pleaded and I snarled before sending Moonlight slicing through his neck ending his life. I turned back to see the other fighting over. Drax was leaning over one of their wounded and noticed it had been the Thrall Fredrick had been feeding off of when the Shaman looked at me. "She needs you. In her current state, you can easily make her a Thrall.' I hesitated and I could see a brief flash of anger cross the Orc face before he controlled it. 'She needs a Vampire Master to restore her psyche. To do that, she needs to be Enthralled first." the Orc advised me and I reluctantly moved over to the downed woman and noticed for the first time it was another Drow. 

"If she is pissed about this, I will blame you!" I told him before looking into the dead eyes of the woman and triggering the ability. I felt like I was falling but then everything snapped back into focus again, it was done. I quickly hung the Moonlight from my back before picking up the wounded woman, she reflexively moved closer to me and threw her hands around my neck. "Grab the head June, please," I told the Dark Ranger hearing a grunt as she moved off and started looting the bodies as I turned to Drax. 

"Will she be ok?" I asked him. 

He studied her and cast a minor spell before nodding, "Given time...He and his followers hollowed out their Thralls leaving no free will or thoughts left. It will take time for her to pull through, but based on her will, she will recover." the Shaman stated and I studied the Drow. 

She wore light, skin-tight, leather armor with a pair of daggers on her hips. I leaned closer to her so hopefully, she could hear me. "Fight little Shadow, fight and return to what you were before that sick bastard got you," I whispered in her ear and she shuddered slightly but relaxed in my arms. 

"Jacob, everyone got a little something but you got the crown jewel." called and I could see her near a chest by the back wall. I walked over to see what she was talking about to see a large heavy chest and back piece. The metal was primarily similar to my new bracers with some regular steel chainmail and leather mixed in, with what looked like some silver as well. I pulled up its information and whistled in appreciation. 

<<<>>>

Armor Name: Dark Champions Guard
Armor Type: Heavy Armor; Shadow-Steel Plate, Steel Chainmail, Silver Inlay, Blackened Leather, Chestguard
Class: Ultra-Rare
Base Defense: 240
Primary Effects...
--- +15 Vitality
--- +15 Constitution
--- +10 Strength
--- +10 Spirit
Secondary Effects...
--- +10% Magical Resistances
--- +10% Resistance to Piercing and Slashing Damage
--- Class Restricted: Dark Templar

<<<>>>

It would be far heavier than my chainmail shirt, but overall the thing was a huge upgrade. Increased armor, Attributes, and boost to my resistances, both physical and magical damage. It was a huge upgrade for me and I touched it with a finger making it disappear into my Inventory with a thought. "Loot the rest, we can sort it back in Shadows Fall. I want to get her somewhere safe where she can rest and heal up.' I told them before looking at Drex. 'Tomorrow we can head out and get you back to your Tribe. Let them know what happened with your party before pursuing the other problems. Ok?" I asked the Berserker and he gave me a slight nod before June finished looting what remained in the chest and we headed back for the upper city. 

Less than an hour later while the others were up resting and getting cleaned up, I strode into the throne room. Most eyes my damaged armor and blood-covered form with disdain, but the head in my hands bought me space. If not, a well-timed shoulder check pushed people out of the way as I strode to the dais where Talia was presiding over the court. I tossed the head towards her and her eyes narrowed in aggravation but I had been the one used as a tool. 

"The major threats in the lower city have been neutralized. I would suggest you deploy some of the City Guard to fortify it until the outer walls are repaired. Next time you have a request, ask. Don't manipulate things and I will decide what I will or will not do." I told her before turning on my heel and striding away as the mutters began behind me, but I ignored them.

The line had been drawn, if she crossed it, I would decide what I would or would not do. Until then, I was hungry. I stopped one of the many servants running around and requested food to be sent up for everyone before heading for Oren's room. The Orc blustered but I wasn't in the mood for a mentor, mentee talk so I silenced him with a look before getting the Quest Notification.

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Fight for Eternal Night!

Notice: Despite the efforts of the usurper and rogue Vampire, Fredrick Dasgon, you managed to destroy him and his followers. The Dark Templar Chapterhouse can now be reclaimed once the lower city has been secured. You have received 20,000 Experience, +50 Renown, your Reputation with the people of Eternal Night has increased to Friendly, your Reputation with High Houses of Eternal Night has increased, and your Reputation with the City Guard of Eternal Night has risen. 

<<<>>>

2 X Level up!

You have (25) unassigned Attribute Points. Attribute Points can be assigned at any time.

You have (3) unassigned Skill Points. Skill Points can be assigned at any time.

<<<>>>

Moonlight has gained a Level and has received (1) Skill Point. Moonlight currently has (1) Skill Point to assign.

<<<>>>

I read the information and dismissed it before leaving the Orc. It had pissed me off when I had figured out what they had done, but it had needed to be done. I put aside the manipulations and crap, I would deal with each day as they came. 

13