Chapter 24- Lost and Found
228 0 13
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Underdark- Unending Abyss Region 
Near Ghazren Hold

I looked at the fragments of the crystal, [Shard of Death] tag that had appeared when I first saw it, but when we had destroyed it all the nearby dead that had survived the assault had dropped like puppets with their strings cut. "Do you believe me now?" I asked Drex. 

The Orc had been hesitant in believing me when I said I had viewed them through Treg's memories. Hell, I hadn't fully believed it until we had found the crystal shard and the dead roaming the small cavern. "So House Dhalmass is manipulating events. I had thought they would leave us alone considering how far removed we are from the Drow kingdom." Drex replied and I shrugged my shoulders.

"Who are these people and do you know why they are doing this?" I asked him and after a few moments the Berserker sat down. 

"House Dhalmass is a Drow House that is outside their peoples' laws and the rule of the Queen and Matrons. They are considered outlaws by the Drow kingdom, but House Dhalmass is used by the other Drow as middlemen and to do things outside the kingdom if they fail, cannot be led back to the Queen. They are the worst of what it means to be Drow." Drex responded as June moved past us with Chalxae as they scanned for any hidden loot. 

"Ok, they are a Drow House of outlaws. Why are they interested in destabilizing this area? No offense to you or your people, but you don't seem like much of a threat to them if they have the resources to pull this off." I told him as I pointed to the shards of the broken crystal. 

"House Dhalmass is a power within this part of the Underdark. They will not allow anyone else to live freely within their borders and independent Tribes like ours, are conquered or submit to their House. I have to report this to my father." Drex stated as he stood and pulled out a portal scroll.

I nodded my head in acknowledgment. "I understand. We still have to investigate the status of the outpost our people established but I still have the portal scroll you gave me and we still need you to introduce us to the Kobold Tribe living nearby. We will head back to Ghazren Hold in a day or two at most. If these Drow are moving in force to take control of this part of the Underdark, I must inform my Queen as well." I told him and Drex nodded as he popped the seal on the scroll causing a portal to open before stepping through. 

I looked at the others, the fight to get here hadn't been that difficult. The enemies were low-level skeletons and zombies, what made them dangerous was that there were so many of them. Yet the winding tunnel that led us to the cavern was not the biggest in the Underdark so the narrow tunnel had saved us from being overwhelmed. "How we doing ladies?" I called out as both June and Chalxae continued to scan our surroundings. 

"One small chest, a bit of coin, and a few potions, nothing special," Chalxae reported with a grimace. 

"Sort it evenly among the group. If there is anything special, put it to the side and we will look at it after we get back to Eternal Night." I told her and the Assassin smirked at me. I held up my hands in surrender as I pulled up my map to see where the so-called outpost was supposed to be. 

The area we had to search wasn't very far from here and if we left now, we could search the area and get back to Eternal Night before it was too late. I might even be able to report back to the Queen as well. "Are you ok Jacob?" I looked up to see Sessa standing there looking at me worriedly.

"Yes, just a whole lot is going on in a very short amount of time. It's a whole lot of work for one person and I am thinking about pulling in a few friends I can trust but until I find out where in the Underdark I am, I can't do that." I told her and she nodded in understanding. "Are you ok with all of this? Being awakened from stasis? Working with a new Elder and an Immortal?" I asked her and she blushed. 

"Don't take this as sucking up or trying to boost your ego, but most Elders are very...distant and care only about themselves or what will further their own goals. You are nothing like them and care about your Thralls. It makes you better than them in my eyes." she replied and Drax snorted in amusement as he accepted some of the potions Chalxae had looted. 

"Yes, I think we would all agree with that assessment. Now on to the outpost?" the Shaman asked as he eyed the potions before making them disappear into his inventory or bandolier.

"Yeah, but according to the quest information they were supposed to set up an outpost not too far from here. With everything going on though, who knows if they succeeded or were wiped out. Either way, hopefully, we can find out one way or another." I told the Orc as made our way out of the cavern. With the destruction of the crystal, the Undead would hopefully settle back into oblivion. Then again, without them to keep other threats away, the normal Underdark wildlife would make their way back into the area. 

An hour later had done nothing to find the outpost, but we had found several decomposing corpses. Some had been wearing armor I recognized from the City Guard but the vast majority were wearing more rudimentary armor, weapons, and had slave collars or brands decorating their bodies. An oddity I linked with House Dhalmass and the Drow that were manipulating events nearby. 

If they had found the new garrison before they were done completing the fortifications House Dhalmass could have overwhelmed the garrison and either killed or captured everyone. Chalxae and June were scouting ahead but neither Drow had reported finding anything more than a trail of corpses.

As we approached a turn in the tunnel June appeared from Stealth and motioning for us to be quiet. "We found the outpost but there is a force present. Based on the force size and the fact most are slaves I assume they belong to House Dhalmass. They have built up some minor fortifications within the tunnel facing the chamber where the city guards have fortified a location. All the besiegers have to do is wait them out and either they will surrender or die from starvation." the Ranger relayed. 

"How many do they have at the fortification?" I asked the Drow, worried about the guardsmen and wondering how they were doing.

"Thirty that we could count, but a quarter of them are weak Goblins. The ones we have to worry about are the five Drow within their ranks." she cautioned me. We had no choice, we had to break the siege and capture one of the Drow if at all possible. 

"Ok, Chalxae I assume is doing something stupid and trying to get closer to them?" I asked and I could tell June was blushing with how her cheeks brightened slightly under my Thermal Vision. "Ok, we hit them hard. I will distract them and hopefully pull their attention my way. Drop the AoE all along the fortifications, I will drop mine on the largest group and aim for them. Give me three seconds before lighting them up. Objections or better ideas?" I asked as I spun my hasty plan as I peeked around the corner and studied the fortifications. 

"If we can, we should signal the outpost, maybe they can sortie out and support our attack on their besiegers," Drax commented and I liked the idea but had no idea how to get the message a friendly force was attacking their besiegers.

I looked at Sessa, "Launch a couple of Fireballs over the heads of House Dhalmass's forces, hopefully, that will grab the garrison's attention and they will come to our aid. If not, we fall back. I won't lose anyone and we gather reinforcements to relieve the outpost. Buff up we launch our attack in two minutes." I told them as I suited actions for words. 

"So what are we killing now, hopefully, no more random dead things!" Moonlight bemoaned through our link. 

I snickered as I heard it whining, "Goblins, Orcs, Kobolds, possibly some Drow as well." I whispered back causing a quiet rumble of contentment from the blade as I rolled my shoulders in anticipation. 

"Ready," Drax reported as the others finished casting various Buffs. I drew Moonlight and strode around the corner and out into the open. I was halfway to the makeshift wall when I was noticed, but by then I was within range of both spells and my charge skill. I shoved my hand foreword and concentrated on a knot of a dozen enemies as I triggered Bog of Plagued Shadows. The Goblins and Orcs caught within the area of effect let out shrieks of surprise as the spell went to work.

I smiled and triggered my charge and taunt abilities as I smashed into another knot of enemies as both June and Sessa dropped their spells causing, even more, screams of surprise. Three Goblins intercepted me, small spears and hand axes swinging towards me. The first one died easily, its head flying one way as I deflected another spear thrust with my bracer before launching a Shadow Bolt into the offending Goblins chest causing it to fly back into a charging Dwarf. 

Then Fireballs and arrows started to rain down on their ranks as June and Sessa joined the fight. I managed to kill the third Goblin as the Dwarf slammed his hammer into my ribs causing my health to drop by a third and sent me staggering to the side. 

<<<>>>

Debuff Blunt Trauma: Stamina Regeneration decreased by 25% (Duration 60 Seconds) 

<<<>>>

I blinked the information away, at least the Dwarf hadn't cracked my ribs. I dodged the Dwarfs next strike and sent Moonlight cutting towards his neck but he managed to get his shield up and deflected the attack but the resulting small explosion of Moonlight's newest Skill triggered causing the Dwarf to howl in pain as he was sent reeling backward as I spotted Chalxae fighting two other Drow. 

I triggered my charge ability and sent one of the enemy Drow flying away and slammed into the tunnel wall. The second Drow tried to turn and run, but Chalxae slammed her daggers low into his back sending his health in the critical range as I turned to face the onslaught of slaves charging my way. My Spirit gauge was running low from using all my abilities but was rapidly refilling. 

I thrust my hand foreword and launched three Shadow Bolts into the nearest pack as I heard a chirp in my ear letting me know I was too low on Spirit to cast any spells. As they closed with us, a wave of fire and crossbow bolts slammed into the onrushing slaves causing a third of them to fall. It caused them to hesitate and I threw myself forward, Chalxae quickly joined me as we moved to finish the fight. 

13