Chapter 28- Like a Good Neighbor
235 2 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Underdark- Unending Abyss Region
Town of Kiera'tan

I did my best to sit back and relax as the Kobolds continued to argue. It had been ongoing and I was rapidly losing patience. We had been allowed within the small castle and stronghold the Kobolds had built in the center of their town, but had been ignored since then. We needed to discuss things, but they were too concerned about their internal struggles at the moment. "EXCUSE ME!" I roared as I stood up and the screeching died down. "Thank you. Now I understand you have a bit of a problem with a rogue element from your tribe. Correct?" I asked them and they nodded their heads but I concentrated on the chieftain.

"Well, I need support to combat House Dhalmass. If I assist you with your problem will you assist me with the greater problem we are all facing?" I asked Braxus Earthcracker, the larger Kobold studied me for a few moments before responding. 

"If you assist us, then you have my word the Earth-Splitter Tribe will march to war with you.' Braxus responded before walking over to me. "My, sister, has rebelled against my rule. Dozens have followed her, out of fear or loyalty. She and her followers fled Kiera'tan, but they reside nearby. Hunt them down, kill her most advent followers, and if possible bring her back here to face my judgment." the Chieftain demanded as a Quest notification appeared.

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Earth Split!

Description: The Earth-Splitter Tribe is ruled by the Chieftain Braxus Earthcracker, but a renegade element has appeared led by the Chieftains sister Shinna Earthcracker. Find the rebel Kobolds kill any leadership and kill or capture Shinna Earthcracker. 

Quest Class: Rare; Unique

Quest Difficulty: Hard

Success: Kill any rebel leaders and kill or capture Shinna Earthcracker.

Failure: Do not kill the rebel leaders or do not kill or capture Shinna Earthcracker.

Rewards: 2,000 Experience, increased Reputation with the Earth-Splitter Tribe, the Earth-Splitter Tribe will support your efforts to dislodge House Dhalmass from the area.

Accept? Yes or No 

<<<>>>

I accepted the Quest after reading the information, it was a tit-for-tat Quest. One I needed, so I had no choice in pursuing it so I accepted the Quest. "We will do this, do you mind if we purchase any provisions we need before heading out?" I asked the Kobold and he shook his head.

"Do what you need to do, but without the rebels pacified, we cannot help you eliminate the Drow," Braxus warned me before turning to go back to his advisors. We quickly left the castle and headed out into the town itself. We made our way to the local market and purchased the provisions we needed, including potions as I studied the map. The rebels were not located that far away, and we could easily get to where they were located. 

"Everything is ready my lord." I looked up from the map to see Drax and the others patiently waiting for me. 

"Good, had enough coin?" I asked the Orc as he produced a few Healing Potions and Stamina Potions for me to use.

"More than enough my lord, I even bought some provisions in case they are needed. Might I ask when you plan on pursuing Crafting or Gathering skills?" Drax asked and I shrugged.

I hadn't ever done that and didn't have any real interest but knew there was a ton of potential for crafters. "I didn't plan on it and don't have the time at the moment," I told the Orc and I could feel the disapproval from him and the others. I sighed, "I will look into it after we deal with the House Dhalmass problem. Ok?" I asked the Orc who shrugged and I just shrugged it off as I relayed everything I had figured out about where the rebel Kobolds were located. 

Twenty minutes later, we emerged from a cramped tunnel, that would be perfect for the smaller Kobolds. The tunnel was a hidden entrance, one that Shinna had no knowledge of but her brother did and had pointed it out to assist in infiltrating the small stronghold the rebel Kobolds had built. Chalxae pushed forward into the area, finding any traps and disabling them as we trailed behind the Assassin. 

After five minutes of slow walking and we emerged into a larger tunnel with the Assassin waiting for us. "We are through their outer traps and there are patrols ahead. Usually two or three Kobolds with either a Geomancer or Pyromancer backing them." the Drow reported and I winced. 

Magical resistances were not my strong suit, not yet anyway. "Buff up, we are going in," I told them and suited words with actions. "Concentrate on downing their magical support, then the others. Give me a couple of seconds to make certain I have aggro, then light them up. Above all else, if it comes down to it and we have to run, I hold them off long enough for you guys to getaway. Understood?" I asked as I finished casting my Buffs and was recuperating my Spirit. 

I peaked around the corner and saw a quartet of Kobolds lounging around a table, talking, eating, and playing some game. Based on their armor and weapons, it was a guard station of some sort but due to their lackadaisical attitude it was easily apparent they were not doing a good job. I concentrated on the nearest one and caused more information to popup. 

Spoiler

Name: Kobold Warrior
Level: 14
Health: 400
Stamina: 350
Spirit: 200
Description: Like Goblins, Kobolds are prolific breeders, living in Tribal families on both the surface and Underdark. Kobolds are divided into a caste system similar to Goblins, but unlike Goblins have less internal fighting. Kobolds are said to be descendent of the ancient Dragons, true or false, it is unknown but these creatures still venerate their distant kin and serve them willingly. Kobolds specialize in ambushes and crafting traps are second nature to them. 

[collapse]

I dismissed the information and noticed another alert but I ignored it and looked back at the others. "Ready?" I asked them, and they nodded as I drew Moonlight. I darted forward, the Kobolds let out shrieks of surprise, and then it was too late to do anything else.

Shouts, the clash of weapons, and shrieks of surprise, from both sides, filled the dark tunnel. Thankfully, June peppered the Kobold decked out in robes with a series of arrows, cutting off their magical support, but the pair of crossbow bolts from the dark surprised us in turn. 

My new breastplate deflected the first, but the second slammed into my unprotected upper arm causing me to grunt in pain.

<<<>>>

Debuffs...

Bleeding: 5 DPS
Fractured Arm: Cannot cast spells requiring two hands, cannot wield two-handed weapons, cannot use left arm

<<<>>>

I did my best, but with the crossbow sticking out of my arm I was slowed down. Every blow I took, every time I parried an attack, the bolt was jarred causing another bout of pain to pulse through my arm. A torrent of Fireballs and arrows quickly downed the three remaining Kobolds as Chalxae dispatched the two bowmen leaving me with half my health as I did my best to not move my arm. 

"I am sorry my lord," Chalxae stated as Drax got to work yanking the crossbow bolt out of my arm, thankfully it had punched all the way through.

"Don't be afraid of me, the only reason why I would be pissed off at you is if you do not learn from this experience. Ok? Remember, while we are out like this, no lord shit, just Jacob!" I asked her and she gave me a curious look but nodded her acceptance. 

"Your lucky the bolt didn't lodge into the bone, just nicked it." the Shaman stated after ripping the second piece out of me and started chanting as his hands glowed slightly as the new pain started the dwindle. 

I watched as the blood flow dwindled and stopped as the hole through my arm closed, "I will remember that, and ask the other Kobolds that shoot at me to aim more for the muscles and not bones." I told the Orc earning a snort. 

We pushed on deeper into the caverns that housed the rebel Kobolds. Their numbers and strength increased as we pushed deeper, but through coordination and surprise we managed to down all the patrols. In our encounters, we fought three named Kobolds from what my new Analyze skill could identify. 

We reached a larger chamber, this one somewhat cleared and developed but based on the number of beds this was where all the former patrols had been sleeping. While there were no opponents, we managed to loot plenty of items that could be salvaged for later use. Nothing that Earth-Splitter Tribe would be concerned about but would help Eternal Night and my new fledgling house or whatever it was. 

The fact was, Eternal Night was in desperate need of two things, people and resources to survive. While I had no delusions that what little I was bringing in would turn everything around, every little bit counted. We managed to salvage over a dozen pieces of armor, and twice that in weapons, all of it was common grade but they could be broken down and their components salvaged or reused for other things. 

Beyond the guard post, we found a final chamber with a makeshift throne. After some searching, Chalxae found a hidden tunnel that lead deeper and to a final chamber with surprising contents. "Well this is unexpected." the Drow commented as blood dripped from her knife. 

She glanced at her two companions and nodded our way, "Deal with them while I..." I cut her off as I charged within their midst. Whatever the Drow had been doing, a half dozen dead Kobolds was fueling whatever magic she was casting. One thing I had learned about mages, ritualistic magic could be either very good or very bad. Based on the fact sacrifices were present I was assuming it was a very bad ritual. 

Before I could finish off the mage, the two male Drow attacked me and bought time for the female to retreat behind an outcropping of rock. I cursed and triggered Vampiric Transformation, Elder's Rage, and Aura of Terror. The two sword-wielding Drow froze in surprise and missed a step as the effects of the aura swept over them before turning and running in fear as I moved to the woman who started casting spells. Whatever spell she hit me with, Elder's Rage made me immune to its effects and I threw myself at her as the fight continued.

9