Chapter 35- The Endless Grind
169 1 9
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Underdark- Unending Abyss Region
Eternal Night- Upper City

Yep, I hated parades, or processions since the morale of the city was still low despite our success. Most of the people that were watching our little convoy were more interested in the prisoners and former slaves than us thankfully so I didn't feel like such a giant ass. "Relax sir, we are almost there," I grunted and nearly glared at Oren and while I could see amusement in the Duergar's eyes, his face and body language were all serious. 

I looked down at myself, I looked like a damned noble, but at least I still had Moonlight at my side. I got the sense of smug contentment from the sentient weapon and nearly rolled my eyes, but I had to be the epitome of an Elder so I kept my reactions in check. I knew I was going to get enough shit from both the Lower and High Houses as is without 'dishonoring' what I stood for. Idiots. 

The nobility was more concerned about perceived notions than threats to the city or rebuilding it. For that alone I needed to get out of the city, the question was would the Queen help or hinder my efforts. The little convoy slowed as we passed through the gatehouse outside Shadows Fall Keep. The Heart Guard was manning the entrance and allowed us to pass, but the former slaves were lead away while the prisoners were handed over to them for questioning. 

I was ushered into the keep itself and headed directly towards the throne room where everyone was present. Oren went down to one knee and I followed suit since we were in open court and didn't want to annoy or offend anyone. "Rise," Talia commanded and I got to my feet while keeping one hand on Moonlight's hilt. As the Royal Executioner, I was the blunt instrument of the crown. Therefore I could be armed while only the Heart Guard were the only others within the chamber that were armed as well. "Captain Stonebreaker, please report on the events you witnessed," she ordered the Duergar and he stepped forward and started talking while I did my best to ignore them while I watched the people around me. 

I scanned the room, most were studying me, the prisoners that had been bound and gagged, or the chests full of various items. Greedy little bastards that were unconcerned with the blood that had paid for those riches, but were more than willing to claim them for themselves or their Houses. "Lord Longstrider, do you have anything to add to the Captain's report?" Talia asked and my eyes snapped up to hers.

"I accomplished my goals, the destruction of House Dhalmass base of operations and the item they were using to stir up the Undead. The casualties were minimal for everyone involved, and we earned the goodwill of our neighbors. Also, prisoners were captured and treasures were won, not to mention the freeing of over two hundred slaves. Overall, it was an overwhelming success." I told her and she nodded but before she could respond another interjected his thoughts.

"Who were you to destroy such a valuable item?" I looked over and glared at the man before swinging Moonlight up and onto my shoulder as I walked closer to the Vampire as those around him drew away leaving a clear space around him.

I smiled at him, but there was no warmth in it, "Who are you to judge my actions. You were not there, you did not fight, bleed, or die. Until you have, your opinion is worth less than the breath you used to voice your opinion." I declared and swept my gaze over the whole group including them. "Is that understood?" I asked loudly, but knowing Vampiric hearing everyone had heard my statement and question. 

I moved back to where I had originally been standing and stared up at Talia who was fighting a smile, "I was thinking now that the Drow House was defeated, for now at least, the settlement there can be repurposed, my Queen. With Eternal Night reconstruction ongoing we need all the resources we can get for the city, claiming that fortress and its resources can only help us in both the short and long-term. With your approval, I would claim it." I told her and I heard more muttering but claiming the settlement would get the city more raw resources that we desperately needed for reconstruction, not to mention it would get me out of the city and away from the court. 

Talia smiled, "As the one who represented and was the official leader of the raid that destroyed the fortress, you are entitled to half the spoils. We also approve of your claim on the ruins of the fortress and surrounding lands, to assist in this endeavor we will grant one hundred of the City Guards. I would also suggest you talk to your Seneschal about recruiting among the citizens of the city for both skilled and unskilled workers." Talia replied as she looked around before studying me and my clothing. "We will discuss this more in-depth once this new settlement is more established. Thank you Lord Longstrider and Captain Stonebreaker for your reports and efforts. Those lost today will always be remembered for removing a threat to our city and our people's future." Talia stated and we both bowed before turning and striding away. 

"One last question Jacob," Talia called and I stopped and looked back at her. "What would you do with the prisoners?" She asked me and I looked at Nathaniel who smiled.

"Hand them over to the Royal Torturer. Drain them over everything they know about House Dhalmass and the Underdark around us. Then end them or put them on a work detail to assist with the repairs, for their crimes they deserve death or a long life living in service to the people of this city." I told her before turning and leaving and heading for my wing to meet up with Abraxxus. 

The Lich immiedietly opened up and ushered me into his rooms, where the others were patiently waiting for me. "So how did it go?" Abraxxus asked and I sat down and poured a cup of wine and started drinking.

"Good overall, she approved of me claiming the remains of the fortress and any resources attached to it and gave me fifty percent of the spoils that we received from the raid. She also pledged one hundred from the City Guard. We need to figure out who from the guard is coming if they are bringing their families if they have them, and see who we can recruit from the former slaves or from the city itself." I told them making them relax. 

"So what do we need done first Jacob?" Abraxxus asked and I looked at the Lich.

"We need to find out what funds we have and what supplies we can purchase from the city. I sunk most of my available funds into gearing everyone up for the raid so for now my funds are stretched thin until we link back with the surface. After that, we make a list of what personal we need, what supplies we have to have and start filling in the blanks." I replied and The Lich nodded his head before looking at my Thralls.

"Chalxae and Drax, go claim Lord Longstriders' half of the spoils. Sessa from my understanding several hundred former slaves were freed, see if any of them are willing to go back as free men and women to work. Skilled laborers are preferred, but our lord is willing to accept general laborers as well. For now, take promise nothing and just take note of peoples names, classes if they have any, and any gathering or crafting skills." Abraxxus issued directives and they looked at me and at my nod they left. "June, I want you to go talk to the City Guards. we should have people that want to be there. It will be dangerous and the guards for this new settlement will face dangers on a day-to-day basis even more than they are now. Get a feel for them." the Lich told her and with another nod, she was off and the Lich was studying me.

"Do you have a command for me as well?" I asked the Lich, bemused by his actions and he shuddered slightly.

"My apologies my lord, I did not mean to offend you," Abraxxus replied before bowing slightly but I waved it off.

"It's no problem, but we have to work together if we want to make this work. Yes I know I have a lot of work ahead of me and even more to learn, but I cannot learn if you do everything. There will be some trial and error, that is impossible to avoid, but I will do the best I can. Now how can I help?" I asked Abraxxus and he chuckled.

"Honestly, by my estimates, it's been several days since you have gone back to your world, correct?" he asked me and I did not dispute it. "Go and rest, either here or there it does not matter. We need time to do everything, and I need to make lists of what people and materials we need to set up a new fortress. When you get back, you can review them. Is that acceptable?" the Lich asked and I nodded before standing and heading to my room. 

As I laid down, before logging out I pulled up my new Warlord Information and Perk Tree.

Spoiler

Warlord: Jacob Longstrider
Warlord Rank: Decurion
War Spirit: 200 (Current Bonus Damage and Armor: 2%)
Subordinates: 2 War Party Leaders (Current: ---)
Warband: 6 Minimum - 10 Max
War Points: 500 (Max)
Warband War Feat...
Besieger 1, Unstoppable 1
Personal War Feat...
---None---

Warband War Feats...

War Feat Name: Besieger 1
Description: You will face enemies on all sorts of battlefields. When they are entrenched in a fortified position, you will deal more damage to your enemies.
Effect 1: +5% Damage while attacking an enemy's fortified location.
Effect 2: +1% Critical Hit Chance while attacking an enemy's fortified location.

War Feat Name: Unstoppable 1
Description: You have faced a more powerful enemy and completely crushed them. Your troops will remember this and be heartened.
Effect 1: 20% Decreased Chance that those in your Warband will suffer Moral Failure.
Effect 2: 10% Decreased War Spirit losses in combat.

Personal War Feat...

---None---

War Perks...

---None---

[collapse]
War Perk Name War Perk Effect Cost to Unlock
Prepared Weapons I +5% to your Warbands Attack Strength 25 War Points
Sharpened Arrows I +5% to your Warbands Ranged Attack Strength 25 War Points
Powerful Spells I +5% to your Warbands Spell Strength 25 War Points
Spell Resistance I +5% to your Warbands Various Magical Resistances 50 War Points
Thickened Armor I +5% to your Warbands Various Armor 50 War Points
Forced March I +5% Movement Speed while outside of combat 50 War Points
Current War Points: 500    
Note* As you unlock War Perks and increase your rank, more will be unveiled    

I whistled, while the bonuses were minimum I was willing to bet they increased as you invested more War Points. Not to mention the bonuses would stack with any War Feats as well, I wondered what exactly a more experienced Warlord could do with even a small force at his disposal. I focused on Spell Resistance and a prompt appeared.

<<<>>>

Notice: With Spell Resistance, you can invest your War Points into increasing your Warbands Magical Resistance with a specific Magical School. The cost will remain the same for each Magical School per each Rank. For example, it will cost 50 War Points for Lightning Magical Resistance 1 and 50 War Points for Fire Magical Resistance 1. The cost will only increase within the specific Magical School once you have invested within the first War Perk Rank.

Which Magical School do you wish to invest your War Points in?

<<<>>>

I whistled again, that was a huge leap, but with six magical schools, it would cost three hundred War Points just to boost each Magical School one rank. Sure it was only a five percent increase across the board, but with individual bonuses not to mention equipment bonuses it would add up. I closed out the War Perk Tree and flipped over to the Wiki and started researching the Warlord Ability.

Before I could get too deep into my alarm went off and a message popped up. I cursed myself and initiated the logout sequence.

9