Chapter 49- Noble Duties
191 2 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Underdark- Unending Abyss Region
Eternal Night- Upper City
Shadow's Fall Keep

I studied the ongoing work in the lower city, the breaches in the outer wall were almost completely repaired, and the gatehouse, other than the large doors, was fully restored. It would take weeks or even months to fully restore all the buildings in the lower city, but once the fortifications were repaired we wouldn't have to worry about random monsters blundering into the city on occasion. "Well, you asked for an individual meeting Jacob, I assume you requested it for more than just to stare out at the ongoing repairs," Talia commented and I chuckled and shook my head.

"As soon as I get the Dark Oak Grove and Logging Camp established and up and running, I will see the city get some wood to create a new set of doors for the outer wall," I told her as I drummed my fingers on the window seal. "You know when I started this, I had no idea where it would lead. I just wanted justice and revenge. Now, everything is rapidly changing and I am forced to change my goals to see that those depending on me are left vulnerable." I told her and Talia frowned as she studied me.

"Welcome to what it means to rule. When people see nobility and royalty, they just see wealth and privilege. They don't see the duty and responsibility, and the more power you attain, the greater the responsibilities and duties. Even those that call upon you to sacrifice everything, for those you rule." Talia responded quietly, almost as if to herself.

I looked over at her, "Your father paid the ultimate price to protect his people, but he managed to succeed." I told her and a slightly destitute look crossed her face and I slowly moved and placed my hand on her shoulder before giving her a light squeeze. "On my world, I don't have any real blood family. I have several close friends I would trust my life with and care for as family, you are only as alone as you want to be." I told her and she smiled and nodded before walking over to her desk and sitting down.

"Thank you, Jacob, now why don't you tell me why you are here," Talia stated and I nodded walked over to her desk before removing the seal and helm from my Inventory and placing both items in front of her.

"It's been a busy time for me and my people, I thought it best to turn over both items to you," I told her as she stared in wonder before smiling at me as a stream of tears fell down her face.

I started to get up but she waved me back down, "These are happy tears, Jacob, you are full of surprises and you bring me some hope when I have little." she replied as she picked up the Kingdom Seal. "I thank you for this, but as of right now, this is just useful as a paperweight. I assume you know this can be used to claim a Keep and create a kingdom, yes?" she asked me and I nodded.

"Yes ma'am, and I could have kept it but I thought it would help you and the people if it was in your hands," I told her and she shook her head.

"I thank you for your generosity, but for a Keep to be claimed, it also has to be linked with one of the Ley Lines that runs throughout Ithea. When this city was moved through both time and space, that link was broken. The only way to restore it would be for it to be transported back to the Valley of Shadows, to its original location." Talia explained before pushing the seal back towards me. "Keep the seal and when it is time, you will know what to do with it. For now, your charge is to keep it safe. As far as this." Talia stated as she pointed to the helm.

She ran her fingers over the metal and stone, "I honestly do not know if the Dark Gods have blessed or cursed you, Jacob. The Crown of the Night King has been lost since before the Covenant was destroyed, it seems that they want it returned to its people in their darkest hour. You found it, Jacob, it's yours." she stated before pushing it back towards me as well. "There are things you do not know Jacob, things I cannot tell you yet, but everything I do is for my people. To give them the best chance to not only survive but to thrive. This is what it means to be a member of House Lightsbane." Talia stated as she looked worriedly at me.

I frowned, not understanding everything but shoved both items back into my Inventory. "Ok, I have also discovered there is another city nearby. A week's travel, maybe more, within this Region. It is called Ineford, its primarily ruled by a Council of Merchants. Its inhabitants are a mix of Dwarves, Humans, Drow, and a spattering of other Races. I plan on traveling there and seeing what I can find out about the city and those who rule it." I informed Talia earning a nod of acknowledgment. "I will be gone from Nightwell Fortress for a week at least and I will be taking an escort along so I was wondering if I could request reinforcements for my garrison?" I asked her and she gave me a short nod.

"Yes, I will dispatch another half Century to reinforce Nightwell Fortress. You realize that once the Dryad bonds with your grove it will increase the ambient Spirit in that area of the Underdark. It will cause a Swarm to attack the grove as they try to claim the area for themselves. You will have to defend it, otherwise, the grove and the Dryad could be killed." Talia informed me and I groaned in frustration. "Your garrison with reinforcements should stave off any Swarm. Now on to your other duties." I sat up straight and looked at her.

"The Ball of Remembrance is coming up, you and any Vassals you have will be required to attend. I know you have been hesitant to Sire anyone, but as an Elder, you have a responsibility to grow your House." I nearly rolled my eyes at her statement and I had been thinking about it, but have been too busy to pursue it. Talia giggled slightly but then her look turned stern. "This is one of your duties Jacob, one you cannot escape," she stated and a prompt appeared, one I had been waiting for but still winced.

<<<>>>

Quest Alert: Eclipsing the Sun

Description: As an Elder, you will have many responsibilities. Yet your power is not only in yourself but built on the foundation of your House. Big or small, Lower or Higher House it does not matter. A Vampire's House is an extension of their will and strength. 

The time has come, despite all the trials and tribulations you have faced, you must Sire Vampire to increase your House's strength. This is both a Duty and Responsibility as a Vampire Elder, once you must fulfill. Sire a minimum of (4) Vampires.

Quest Class: Ultra Rare, Quest Chain, Unique

Quest Difficulty: Easy 

Success: Sire (4) Vampires (Current: 0)

Failure: Do not Sire (4) Vampires

Rewards: Unknown

Note* As an Elder, you cannot refuse this Quest.

<<<>>>

I gave her a tight smile and nod, while I had been hesitant to make Thralls, I had no hesitation in creating other Vampires. Just finding time and candidates, I didn't want to create any Vampires that were unstable or would get completely drunk on their newfound power. "Yes ma'am, I have a few candidates, just finding time is difficult," I told her and her eyes hardened.

"Make time Jacob, events are starting to speed up and any House's strength is founded not only on the shoulders of its leaders but of those that serve them. Now I will send a message to Nightwell when the date of the ball gets closer. I expect you to show up with some company. Understand?" she asked me and I gave her a nod. "Good, I will issue the orders, go to the barracks by the inner wall. I will detach a Sergeant and fifty more soldiers, but that is all I can spare and I will need them back sooner rather than later Jacob. With the restoration of the lower city well underway, I will need every soldier to secure the lower city and help with the restoration efforts." Talia stated and I nodded.

"I understand ma'am. I plan on recruiting some people from Ineford if possible, that will include soldiers. Once I figure out how many I can sway my way, I will gladly send the soldiers back." I told her and she nodded as she quickly wrote out her orders before handing me the sealed letter. 

"Good luck Jacob, in the coming days everyone, will need it," she warned me and I nodded in agreement before standing and bowing slightly before leaving her office. 

I sent a message to Andria letting the Dryad know of my updated plans as I headed directly for the barracks. Both June and Chalxae quickly fell in behind me as I strode out from the Keep. "Well we didn't get as many as I hoped, but fifty soldiers are better than I expected," I told my two companions. 

June nodded and Chalxae just continued so I stopped forcing both of them to stop as well. "What?" I prodded both women and they looked at each other before looking back at me. 

"We are just wondering if you were serious about the offer you extended," June responded as Chalxae remained silent as she studied me.

I snorted, "If I didn't mean it, I wouldn't have asked. The choice is yours, no matter what you choose I will respect it and your choice will not change our relationship." I told them both before I continued walking. Yes, I had offered to Sire Chalxae, June, Sessa, and Drax, only Drax had responded so far. The Shaman had declined the offer, worried he would lose his link to his ancestors and the world around him if he became a living Undead.

I had understood and had not been offended by the Orcs response at all. The other three were still considering the offer, each for their reasons and I was patiently waiting for them to decide one way or another. Accepting a change like that was not something I would push on them and with the dangers of a Swarm, I wouldn't leave them vulnerable even if they all accepted my offer today. 

At least I didn't have to pay for these guards, they were still technically on the payrolls of the city, just like Captain Dulkam on his men. It saved me some money, and with the Silver Mine open, I was gaining some revenue daily, but it would take time for Nightwell's coffers to be filled. I still needed to open up the Platinum Mine, but with everything ongoing, it was a low priority. However, if I wanted to continue to expand the settlement and continue with my plans, I would need a steady stream of income. The chicken or the egg, what came first...I sighed in frustration and hoped I was making the right choices as I continued to walk further from the Keep and towards what lay ahead of me.

4