Chapter 53- Dark Secret
166 2 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Underdark- Unending Abyss Region
Nightwell Fortress- Broken Warren

I strode through the tunnels, what had resided here had been killed and we were free to move in and out as we pleased. When we had first discovered this place I had been tempted to leave it alone or use it for my own goals, but after some consideration, I didn't like either option and had come to a third and final conclusion. "My lord, I don't think we should be here. Something is off about this place." Thelgrum stated as he looked around.

I studied the Dwarf and he appeared nervous. "Worried about something yourself or is it your god this is worried?" I asked him and the Dwarf frowned before closing his eyes and cocking his head before staggering slightly. I smirked and snorted in disgust. "As I said, we are here to confront a lie and undo a wrong. That worry is not you, but your god. A nasty little secret he doesn't want getting out is down here and he wants you to turn around." I told him before walking away. 

The Broken Warren was a set of interconnecting tunnels with a small cavern hidden in the back. It was near the main cavern that housed the settlement, but the way the tunnels had been dug out, was both to the side and beneath the main cavern. If House Dhlamass had found this place, I know for a fact they would have fortified their new fortress with an army, not with the defenses they had. "Hello, ladies," I called out to the two Drow who were studying the bound figure and what contained him.

"What is your assessment?" I asked them.

Chalxae looked up and smiled, "Welcome back Jacob, I was beginning to worry about you. We can get him out, you have to key to the collar and we can pick the other locks. What took so long?" she asked while June let out a frustrated grunt before striding away from her work.

I moved over to the frustrated Drow and pulled her into a hug. June initially stiffened but relaxed into it as I heard a gasp behind me but I ignored Thelgrum for now. If the Dwarf became a problem, we could deal with him easily. 

I pulled back slightly from June, "Better?" I asked the Ranger and she nodded before going up on her toes and kissed me slightly before dancing away with a laugh as Chalxae chuckled as well. 

I rolled my eyes and studied the Dwarf who finally joined us. "Well, I know according to the Lore, your Patron cast him out and killed him. Obviously, that is not true, and based on the literal writing on the wall, the story is far different than the myth." I told the Dwarf who shook himself and studied his surroundings. 

Thelgrum rapidly turned from surprise to anger as he studied the writing, "Lolth?" he asked as he read some of the writings on the cavern wall.

"Yep, your best buddy Moradin, conspired with our favorite to be hated, Lolth. She wrote it all down, boasting about capturing Dumathoin and working with Moradin. How and why a Light God would conspire with an evil Dark Goddess to capture and imprison another Dark God of his Pantheon, one who wasn't an enemy to Moradin, I don't understand. Then he went and bragged about killing him...It's just odd. Drax and Mug, the collar saps his strength, so I need your biggest healing spells on him, please." I told the Shaman and Druid. 

Both men nodded their heads and started casting spells, both heal over time and burst spells. At first, nothing happened but then the oversized Dwarf jerked against his restraints and moaned, "Release me, Mortal! PLEASE!" he begged as he caught sight of me and the others.

"First swear, by your Power, you will not harm me or mine," I told the Dwarven god. 

He jerked and convulsed but nodded as he let out another moan but the two casters kept up a steady stream of healing magic, "I so swear, I will neither harm you or yours if you free me. I swear by my Power!" the god finally managed to get out and I looked at Chalxae who went to work on the nearest restraint while June went to another. I moved forward, the bone key in my hand and it easily slipped into the slot on the collar.

With a twist and click, the collar popped off and dropped to the ground as the god sighed and tried to drop to his knees, but the chains connected to his wrists kept him upright. Like all Dwarves, Dumathoin was burly and stout, but unlike Dwarves, the god easily stood seven feet tall and was unnaturally pale. I had no idea if it had to do with his imprisonment or something about being a god, but the Dwarf looked sick. 

Both the Shaman and Druid continued to work and without the collar on him, they made some progress. Not much, considering he was a god, but I was sure every little bit helped. I stooped over and picked up the collar and brought up the item's information.

Spoiler

Item Name: Collar of Endless Tormenting Darkness
Item Class: Legendary Ancient Artifact; Unique
Primary Effects...
--- Decrease targets Health, Stamina, and Spirit Regeneration by 99%.
--- Saps target of 1% of Health, Stamina, and Spirit per Second to a maximum of 99% of Targets maximum Health, Stamina, and Spirit
--- Decreases targets Primary Attributes by 99%
--- Target will be forced into an endless sleep while being tormented constantly never knowing true rest or peace. May cause permanent trauma.
Secondary Effects...
--- Restriction: Target must be Divine or have Divine Blood or Nature
--- Restriction: User must have Dark or Evil Alignment or will be cast within the Demon Web upon the use of Collar

[collapse]

Ok, fucked up collar of endless torment, got it. I shoved it into my Inventory, hoping I would never use it. Dumathoin finally collapsed to his knees as both wrists were released but from his Health bar, he was finally over five percent and I waved the two healers off. The Dwarven God looked at them and nodded his thanks before casting his own spell causing his Health to jump by a quarter. Damn, I thought he was the patron of mining and the dead, not of healing. God got skills!

"So, what would a mortal and a Vampire at that, free me from my endless torment?" the Dwarf got out. He had a raspy voice and based on the Lore, this guy had been here for close to a thousand years.

I pulled my canteen out of my Inventory and handed it to him, "It's water, not alcohol." I told him and the Dwarven God accepted the offered gift and downed the contents in a couple of gulps. "No one deserves to live like that. If they wanted you dead, they should have killed you, not let you...exist like that." I told the Dwarven god. 

He continued to study me and snorted, before looking around. "You could have asked for anything, but instead you just wanted assurance that you and your people wouldn't be harmed." Dumathoin mused before shaking his head. "You are tied to the nearby land, as a lord you should think ahead. Others would be less benevolent and thankful for what you did." the god stated before snapping his fingers causing an orb to appear in his hand.

I almost didn't take it but knowing how gods could be fickle I accepted it, "I know this is a Magic Core, but it has now 'how to' manual to go with it. I know it can be used to create powerful magical items, weapons, and even buildings, but can you expand on that instruction?" I asked the god causing him to chuckle. 

"The uses are varied like the stars. Many and most are unique per their individual use. Do not underestimate the value of using a Magic Core, it could be used to build a kingdom or bring one down." the Dwarf God responded before slowly getting to his feet. "Now I can sense a Vampire city not too far away, I can do nothing to return it to its proper place but if you build a shrine to me, I will bless it. Good luck Jacob Longstride, the Lady Nyx has marked you, and those marked by her have a long road ahead of them," he told me before looking at Thelgrum and shaking his head.

The Dwarf looked a little broken or lost, but was still standing. Dumathoin strode over to the Dwarf and clapped him on the shoulder before whispering in his ear. Surprisingly Thelgrum started to weep before going to one knee before the god, "I swear, upon my life and Honor to serve you Dumathoin. I forsake Moradin and his lies, and will serve you until death or being released from my Oath." the Paladin stated and the God smiled before placing his hand on the Dwarfs head causing a pulse of energy to wash over the Dwarf changing the man's armor physically before staggering away slightly. I triggered Analyze and smirked.

Spoiler

Name: Thelgrum Orcbane
Level: 25
Class: Dark Paladin
Health: 1,560
Stamina: 780
Spirit: 690
Description: Dwarves are found on both the surface and Underdark. This Race while more numerous than Elves, the Dwarves are still long-lived and proficient warriors and craftsmen. Mountain Dwarves have strong ties to the stone and metals and are some of the best Blacksmiths in all of Ithea.

[collapse]

Based on the Class change, I assumed Thelgrum just changed his Patron deity. He would have to be careful otherwise the followers of Moradin would kill him. "That is enough excitement for one day. Know this, you have made a lifelong friend and if you need me, I will help you if I can, but I am greatly weakened and it will take me time to recover." Dumathoin stated before opening a portal and stepping through. 

"So...that happened," I commented earning more than one laugh. I had a slew of notices awaiting me but before I could read any of them, an Alert popped up.

<<<>>>

Universal Alert!

Notice: The Dark God Dumathoin, Lord of the Precious Metals and Stone, Lord of the Honored Dead, and brother of Moradin, has been freed from his millennium-long imprisonment. Let his worshippers rejoice.

Notice: Those who wish to become Priests, Clerics, or Paladins of Dumathoin may do so. Seek out the nearest Shrine, Temple, or Cathedral dedicated to Dumathoin or the nearest Parthenon to the Dark Gods.

Notice: Dark Aligned with the Mining Profession have a 5% greater yield from mineral nodes and a 5% increased chance at harvesting uncut gems for the next 7 days.

<<<>>>

Yep, definitely causing waves. I smiled and shook my head wondering what exactly I had gotten myself into in releasing the god from his imprisonment. I smirked at myself, it was the first wave, but not the last or even biggest. No, I was just getting started and it was time to take the next step towards that. I looked at Chalxae and June. "Are you two ready?" I asked them. They both understood the question and nodded their heads. "Lets go, it will take time for you to recover and get used to it. Then we have to head out and find Ineford...so many things to do." I commented absently as I headed out.

6