Chapter 5 – First Contact
19 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Hey everyone I am finishing up my studies, as such I want to apologize for the far overdue chapter. I hope to dedicate some time on regularly to keep up with this story on a regular. Either way, I hope you all enjoy it!

Avala knew how close to worship any spirit was treated by the Dwarves and as such became far more surprised to it slowly spill down Barlar’s face as he had become frozen mid-sip. Her face revealed no change but her curiosity was in that moment focused more on Barlar than the one she had proclaimed to be a human. It had taken him almost a minute, after emptying his mug upon himself, that Barlar’s composure was regained.

 

“Your saying. ITS HUMAN?!” Barlar asked more out of fear from the unknown than from his previous anger.

 

“I can’t confirm it. My roots may be able to say more when they arrive. It is but a preliminary guess, and I speculate no normal human at that.” Avala stated as she rose from her seated position to open the door, revealing a maid mid-stop of knocking.

 

“Thank you, I will take it from here.” Avala’s soft voice wooed over the maid who bowed as she pushed the cart past the threshold of the room. A teacup was quickly filled as Avala moved the cart near the group. Staring intently at the human who was now chugging down Barlar’s precious spirit.

 

“What do you mean not normal? Were they ever normal!? I never heard of a human who didn’t cause problems in some way.” Barlar bit back as his opinion quickly soured further of the supposed human in front of him. Reaching for a fresh bottle at the bottom of the cart he was again interrupted as it floated towards the human as his now empty glass slammed on the table.

 

“He is worse than an honest man.” Barlar glared at the human, as it was known amongst dwarves that should one ever seek out an honest answer, one would find it from someone at the bottom of a bottle. Although not uncommon to see a drunken dwarf, the wisest of them used the hardest of liquor as a guide and were often sought after for guidance.

 

Barlar sat in silence with Avala as she sipped her tea, both gazing upon the human. The bottle rarely left its lips as it chugged it down like a fresh babe in search of milk, his only breaking moments of breath as if he was failing to drown himself. Minutes passed before the bottle once again slammed on the table empty, revealing the intense gazes of both elf and dwarf upon. It came more as a surprise to them both to watch him stand up unfazed in balance. The noise began to emanate from its lips as it began talking in tongue. Barlar became worried again but was calmed by Avala’s unfazed sip of her tea. 

 

After finishing off the second bottle it began to settle in. This whole world, my reality, everything. . . It wasn’t a dream or nightmare or worse. Everything here was real because I could feel my body fighting the liquor like it had many times before, although I didn't remove its ability to purify it this time, I wanted a clear head, and I needed to focus. I attempted to feel the world around me but it returned nothing, not silence but more like noise, constant noise. Nothing overwhelming like when the bombs had. . . NO! Focus, what does it feel like? Closing my eyes I attempted to feel around, following the noise.

 

I stood in silence for minutes as I tried to feel my surroundings, slowly it began to take shape around me and in my mind. It's like everything is busy working, but no one is talking, everything and everyone is just working. I moved my senses around, it was exhausting me taking on this workload as it seemed everything around me was already busy with requests. It felt like I was asking for a taxi in the middle of a highway, a few bits dribbled in here and there but everything was already driving somewhere.

 

Feeling further around I began to feel both the people next to me, their very existence felt like constant labor, the dwarf seemed to have a strong wall around him. Attempting to communicate was immediately cut short and a small gasp could be heard not a second later from his voice. My body finally caved as I had exhausted the limits of myself, with knees buckling under. A quick hand saved me as it fell upon the cart, I needed resources, I needed power. Issuing a local command of absolution I demanded everything around me to forfeit itself for my use.

 

Avala’s reaction was far quicker since the incident as she grabbed the dwarf just in time as the surrounding air began to chill. The steel cart she had wheeled in moments ago began to melt, followed shortly after by the surrounding material around the human.

 

“YOU SAID HE WOULDN'T BE A THREAT!” Barlar screamed as he slid against the wall, increasing his gap between the human.

 

“He isn't! I don’t think he knows what he is doing!” Avala shouted back as it seemed the very world around them began to cave into itself. Audio began to slowly become muffled as her words barely reached Barlar.

 

“A STONE! GIVE HIM A STONE!” Avala screamed from the top of her lungs. Its very essence clearly being drained from it as it traveled across the room, but her luck was evident as it wasn't Barlar’s first time working on reading lips alone from his years in the caves. Running to the shelves on the wall, Barlar threw tiny trinket boxes on the ground after searching each one. He could feel the sweat freezing against his back as he littered the floor with books, boxes, and artwork alike. Finally stopping as he opened a final box near the end of the shelf in the corner he had retreated to. Glancing with a sorrowful face Barlar stared at the gem-encrusted necklace in his hands, giving it a final kiss as he threw it into the darkened center of his room.

 

Barlar’s breath came out quickly and painfully as it was almost frozen. Eyes shut closed and praying to his god above, Barlar finally felt warmth entering back into his lungs. Opening one I softly it quickly revealed that his room was destroyed. Although the only mess was against the wall he had thrown everything down, Barlar now had a crater in the center of his room. Lucky as he was the wine cellar didn't start until further back in the house otherwise he might have lost some great vintage as well.

 

Inside the center of the room laid the human, its breath heavy and strenuous. Avala was the first to approach as she softly whispered humming words through the air. The human's mind was clearly frozen in its state as the glossy stare of his eyes reached Barlar, but didn’t look at him. It began to speak in tongue, its eyes watering as it had before, but this time without the sadness it had before, but more of joyous beauty.

 

Marlen stared around the world he saw, clenching the gem in his fist. His eyes had adapted to see the world in its truest form, the world he once knew was nothing like it had been before. Everywhere he looked he could see everything, feel everything. The feeling lasted a short time as it quickly began to overwhelm him again, followed by the soothing voice of the elf woman as she walked towards him.

 

“I don’t understand anything you're saying. . .” My voice trickled off as the elf kneeled down to my level, her hands cupping my fast to wipe away the tears, her voice continuing to emit its wonderful tune. I had no one to talk to as my nanotechnology interface was more of a feeling and silent in its actions. I needed something or someone to speak to, if only for my sanity.

 

“Initiate voice communication protocol. Confirm override up to level 10. Voice mimic Kat’s from the bakery off the highway. Identifying name Kat Confirm.” I spoke to what appeared to be myself but could feel the answers inside myself.

 

“Voice confirmed. Communication name confirmed. Personality parameters are undefined. Any further requests?”

3