Chapter 8 – New World Order
16 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Just wanted to apologize for the large gap in time. Working to get my own life under control and have the focus to continue writing. I will try to pick this back up to continue the story. Enjoy!

“What did you just say?” My words were emotionless as they questioned Barler.

 

“I was asking how you copied the buildings so exact. . .” His voice trailed off as he looked up from picking at his food, his eyes staring upon the horror that was my face. It seemed like no end to my nightmare as I looked between my new companions.

 

“Kat scan the surrounding topography for matches. Barler, I need to go outside and see the stars.” Quickly erecting myself from my seated position was met by both companions putting their hands up.

 

“Woah Woah. Take a second, we're going to need permission before you can even leave these grounds.” It was clear Barler lacked the authority to allow my free movement from his statement, causing me to shift my pleading gaze upon Avala for help.

 

“What he says is true. At this moment you are honestly unknown and your magical powers are unscalable. . . And honestly more than anything incredibly uncontrolled which scares me.” Her words struck me as it finally dawned upon me everything I had done so far. Looking down I could see frost beginning to collect around my silverware.

 

“Kat halt scan. Cease all future use of ambient atmosphere power use, all external power use restricted to direct command.” I could finally feel the cool air slowly dissipate.

 

“Request confirmed. Internal power source insufficient, non-ambient power source located.” Kat AR overlay allowed my eye to see a direction and glowing source. A light stone on the wall was giving off a natural ambient glow. Sitting down I began to think over my current situation and a plan, as all my actions had been in the moment so far. Both Avala and Barler softly sat down to continue finishing their meal in silence. It wasn’t until some awkward silence later did another speak. 

 

“It’s clear I have some problems I need to resolve. So if you both wouldn’t mind answering my questions and guiding me. The least I can do is help to work on restraining my actions.” I attempted to be as courteous and direct with my words, which were confirmed with a soft nod from Avala and half grunt from Barler.

 

“My first question is that.” Pointing towards the light stone.

 

“It’s what I mine, that's a light stone. Weak properties but has a strong light source.” Barler replied as he pulled out a beautifully engraved wooden pipe.

 

“Okay, may I have a look at one?” This question was clearly unwelcome to Barler as he got a sour face but reluctantly grabbed one from the wall and placed it in front of me.

 

“Kat begins full level scan, permission for use of external source, but don't completely drain it.” This public command was followed by a slight growl from Barler who was quickly silenced by the hand of Avala as she gazed upon me. My eyes began to glow as data was collected and displayed about the stone, from its atomic structure, energy levels, and even light emission.

 

“Are you able to see something?” Avala asked as she looked between my eye and the stone. With a few hand motions, I selected a holographic display surrounding the stone for both of them to see.

 

“I have no idea how you are both alive. This is beyond anything I could imagine.” I stated as I pulled up the atomic structure to display it above the stone. It slowly rotated above as I stared at them both intently expecting a surprising shock at the least but was met with oblivious stares.

 

“What are we looking at?” Avala inquisitively asked as the fascination was evident upon her face.

 

“That there is highly radioactive. In other words, we should be dead. Its emitting radiation, although not deadly, can quickly accumulate in the body. Which reminds me . . . Kat do an internal scan, also a radiation check.” Almost immediately followed by a flood of colors overlaying my vision. The entire surrounding world flooded into a field of yellow, orange, and faint red. It was clear that the ambient world was naturally radioactive, but what stood out the most was the strong red glows in the center of both Barler and Avala.

 

“Can you tell me about ‘Magic’. . .” My question interrupts their chatter about the stone in a hesitant and cautious tone.

 

“I would ask the pretty elf lady. I just know the basics and work it as a tool. I am far from being able to cast any capable spells.” Barler replied as he waved off my question. Sitting down with Avala we began to converse about the universe of magic, leaving Barler to himself, leaving the room shortly after to his own devices.

 

The conversation about magic had settled down shortly after the sun's peak, bringing with it a light lunch being served and the return of Barler with a new companion that appeared to be someone of importance. I had come to discover through conversing with Avala that magic permeated the land, with much of the existing living world depending on it in one small way or another. This magic I had come to discover was actually a fluctuation of radiation that existed, with catalysts provided to help transfer, store, manipulate, or even create magic. My natural consumption of it as a power source for my nanotech was so pure that it was pulling out the very life source of those without regard.

After this discovery of magic and its connection to the present living requirements for life, I set up a multilayer authentication with Kat to stop any use of it from living sources. Although it was explained that with permission for magic training people often did transfer and flow ‘mana’ through each other. It also came as a great surprise that it often takes a lifetime's worth of control and study, plus a strong influence of blood inheritance that strong magic took to be created. This led to the discovery of gems that every living thing contained as a way to control, manipulate, and harness ‘mana’. It was with this last statement that Avala explained there were places that none can travel as it's void of magic and all life. All this new knowledge had me so deep in thought that my furrowed brow and focus helped me escape from the first two questions from this new member to the dining room.

 

“Does it truly speak?” Barlar looked at the human as he was asked from the elder dwarf he had guided in.

“He does but not at request. He has learned a great deal in such a small amount of time, I am surprised he still converses.” Barler replied, slamming a bottle of strong spirit in front of Marlen. Followed by a sudden upward gaze as Barler pointed towards the elder. With a sideward glance of crossed arms and a huff, the elder finally spoke forwardly towards Marlen.

 

“So I hear you want to travel to Fire Bearer Nork city of the undead.” An intense but quizzical stare followed after from the elder dwarf into Marlen’s eyes.

1