Chapter 6 – Tutor Wiktor
74 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Tutor Wiktor was an ambitious man. 

When he first heard of a job opportunity for a tutor role circulating among the scholars, his interest was piqued. Scholars of Mount Dofriyat are by far some of the greatest minds in the Arodian Kingdom. It was both an academy and a top research institute for all things liberal arts, the sciences and theology, and Tutor Wiktor was a recently transferred educator.

Having graduated from the military academy in the Capital and served as a professor for five years, he was seeking better pastures. While he was happy during his time in his alma mater, he didn't foresee glory in taking arms, carrying the banner of Arodia.

No, he didn't want to die a nameless soldier in the next probable war, he wanted fame. Fortune. But more than that, he also craved the unknown. He was ardently curious and he wanted to know more. He wanted to measure his calibre.

Mount Dofriyat was recognised throughout the continent to be at the forefront of knowledge. Scholars produced from the institute were exceptional, regardless of birthplace, class, or gender. As long as one has the aptitude and intelligence --Mount Dofriyat was the place to be. And because of this, there were countless job opportunities for the scholars to choose from. Some even managed to snag roles in the royal palace as officials without the need of a rank nor House backing.

The possibilities were endless. 

Tutor Wiktor knew he had a shot teaching at Mount Dofriyat. He was quite confident in his ability. So when the transferral was successful, he wasn't surprised. Now he just had to wait for opportunities to come in. He taught the sciences of strategy for five months before a particular job opportunity was the talk of scholars.

It called for a tutor knowledgeable in both military and liberal arts for a founding House. While there was interest among the scholars, they were also wary of the uncertainty it may bring. 

It was a double-edged sword. 

There were rumours circulating about the potential high fatality rate when serving under a founding family. The old families were sacred in Arodia, thus not much was known about their personal lives, except for what they have publicly accomplished and contributed to Arodian society. Most of the members were quite mysterious and obscured from Arodian folk, keeping to themselves and thus rarely talked about. 

But of course, Tutor Wiktor was curious. He wanted to know what it was like serving under old nobility. 

While he was aware of the dangers working within the House, there also existed a tacit acceptance that when one served a founding family, and once one gained their trust, one is naturally absorbed as part of the House. They guaranteed your safety, and are considered your 'support'.

Undoubtedly, the repercussions when one betrays were also equally great.

It was certain death.

Tutor Wiktor sent his application anyway and waited anxiously for a reply. He didn't know what metrics were used to gauge the applicants but he hoped and prayed.

Then a few weeks later, he received a response. 

And now, for 8 years he had been here. 

Tutor Wiktor was content in House Cernat. When he learned he would be tutoring the eldest son and the apparent heir, he knew he struck lucky.

What honour!

He was with the young master when he first learned to walk, when he spoke his first words, and soon took the place as Eomer's teacher from the academic to the arts. It was a marvel to see him grow up. 

Tutor Wiktor felt important to be educating a Cernat. He was especially perceptive when it came to identifying Eomer's strengths and weaknesses. He would make sure Eomer's strengths were his best assets. And his weaknesses? Eliminate them.

He was hard on the young heir. But it proved successful. Eomer turned out to be a brilliant student. He was talented in all subjects. However, Tutor Wiktor felt the need to do something more to make his status as a tutor in the Cernat Household invaluable. Thus, when he found Eomer silently bringing him to the library one fine afternoon, he wondered what the secrecy was about. In time he would realise that this could be his chance.

"You can't tell Nanny Pagna about this, alright?" Eomer whispered as they head down the hallway leading to the library. 

"Right, of course," Tutor Wiktor replied. 

When they entered the library, he found the youngest Cernat settled among the piles of books. Books that were too complicated for a child to understand. Tutor Wiktor looked sceptical but nonetheless, feigned politeness. She looked up unperturbed by his presence and smiled when she saw her brother. 

"You brought company haven't you?"

"Yes, Tutor Wiktor could help us with our studies should we need anything," 

Eomer motioned to Tutor Wiktor who bowed respectfully. Evanthe nodded politely. 

"Please to make your acquaintance, young lady Evanthe," 

"And to you," She responded. 

They settled into their seats but the look on the tutor's face did not disappear. It was only until the siblings started to debate and critically question the contents of the books they were reading that Tutor Wiktor's expression changed. 

It was now a look of bewilderment.

After the initial shock that gripped the tutor, he slowly settled into his role as their mentor, answering any queries that they have and guiding them. While he knew of Eomer's outstanding ability and talent, he didn't think of anything for the other siblings. They were not studying what the young heir was learning and their lesson schedules were planned out differently.

But he never knew that the young lady was so curiously exceptional. How was a child able to comprehend such material?

For a 5-year-old to be almost on par with the eldest was astonishing. She might even be better than Eomer himself. With proper guidance and grooming, she would be able to exceed her brother in time. 

Tutor Wiktor saw potential. He wanted to know how far the young lady could go. He was willing to bring out talent. And he realised this could also be his chance to prove his worth to the Cernat family. 

And so, with ignited enthusiasm just like Eomer, Tutor Wiktor began to teach them earnestly, pouring out his knowledge to the two children. He did so for the week Evanthe was supposedly on break, eager to collect results to show the lord of the estate. This he did discreetly, as he knew he was supposed to keep the sessions a secret. 

Well, they did say to keep it a secret from Pagna and not their father, He thought to himself, unaware that the sworn secrecy applied to everyone else, especially Count Eamon. 

On the last day of the study session, Tutor Wiktor pulled the two children out from their concentration and addressed the young lady. 

"Today's your last day before lessons resume isn't it?" 

Evanthe nodded her head. 

"I'll miss studying with you. It's been so fun recently," Eomer lamented, making his sister giggle. When Eomer lost his masked facade, he could be just like Eugen sometimes.  

"Don't worry, I'm sure there are still gaps left in my schedule. We can use the untouched time," Evanthe assured her brother.

"You're a very bright young lady. Don't idle and continue to learn. Knowledge waits for no one," Tutor Wiktor said.

"I won't," Evanthe promised, grateful for Eomer's tutor.


That night after the Count retired into his study and his children to bed, there was a knock on the door. 

"You may enter," Eamon's voice resounded, as he flipped through the documents he had on his desk. The door opened and Tutor Wiktor bowed courteously before addressing his master. 

"My lord, I come to report something you might like to hear,"

The Count did not look up but nodded, knowing what his servant was going to say.

"Is this about Eomer? Is he showing signs of progress in his lessons?" 

Tutor Wiktor answered promptly. 

"Oh yes, the young master is doing excellent as always. But that's not what I wanted to discuss about this time," 

Eamon finally looked up, giving the tutor his full attention. What other matter was there to discuss besides his eldest son's studies?

"It's about the young mistress Evanthe,"  

Count Cernat raised his eyebrows.

"The young lady had been studying in the library for the week you've canceled her classes. Young master Eomer brought me there one day, and that's how I got to know. My lord, the young lady is truly exceptional. She has been digesting books I never thought would be suitable for her age,"

He unveiled two books he brought to the Count's study and showed them to him. Politics in Arodia and History of the Arodian Kingdom's huge titles reflected under the dim candlelight. Eamon glanced at it and scoffed.

"Evanthe is not like Eomer. Why did you make her read such things? She's barely 6-years-old. Who even gave you permission to teach her such material?" The Count glared at the tutor, causing Tutor Wiktor to shrink in fear.

"My lord, I did not teach her these. I only came at the expense of the young master's request for some study guidance. I didn't know the young lady would be there. She is highly capable of absorbing knowledge from these books on her own. She possesses a remarkable aptitude, and if I may be so bold, in time, with the right counsel, she can surpass her older brother," 

Tutor Wiktor knew he shouldn't have said that. It was as if he couldn't wait to feel the taste of death. But the stakes were already high when he decided to serve under the Cernat family. He wouldn't let talent go to waste when he saw one.

"What did you say?" There was tension in the air, but Tutor Wiktor forced the words out from his mouth. 

"My apologies, sire, but as a scholar, it is my duty to bring out the best in my pupils. And while Lady Evanthe is not one of my own, her talent is too precious to be ignored. I'm sure it will please you, my lord, here take a look," 

Tutor Wiktor handed his master the papers he got the siblings to write during one of their study sessions. The Count looked visibly upset but went through the papers anyway. He ploughed through them, with now a look of pure amazement. He couldn't believe his eyes; he recognised Evanthe's tiny handwriting, the cursive words crooked and misaligned, common for a child. But the ideas she put forward didn't sound nor resemble a child's. The essay wasn't nearly excellent, but it was very logical. 

"... Are you sure she wrote this?" Count Cernat flipped through them multiple times to properly determine his daughter's handwriting. He saw no faults that this was forged. 

"Yes, my lord. And it seems no one knew of her talent. I've talked to her tutor and he seems unaware. What tragedy don't you think? She should be properly groomed to reach her true potential," 

Count Cernat turned to look at Tutor Wiktor. 

"And I suppose you know what to do?" 

The man nodded earnestly.

"I guarantee that Lady Evanthe will be in good hands. Of course, that goes for the young master as well," 

The Count sighed. He hoped what he going to do was worth it. 

"Very well. I will arrange a different schedule for Evanthe with her tutor gone," then Eamon thought about it and said, "You will move out of the right-wing and into the left. It will be easier to call for you. A new contract will be drafted. And I also expect weekly reports of Evanthe's progress just like Eomer's," 

Tutor Wiktor felt giddy listening to his rise in rank within the Cernat household. But he kept a straight face and agreed to the terms.

"Consider it done, my lord,"


The Count broke the news of Evanthe's new lesson arrangement the next morning at breakfast. He even revealed he knew of her countless trips to the library citing Tutor Wiktor when she should be recuperating.

Evanthe flushed with embarrassment. Oh, what nightmare! Her father was surely disappointed with her. She looked down and braced herself, waiting for the reprimand to come.

Unexpectedly, he praised her.

"I heard from Tutor Wiktor that you worked hard," then he looked towards Eomer, "And you, for guiding your sister in her studies," 

Eomer was practically glowing when he heard his father's praise. He was also glad that Evanthe was getting acknowledged. The two siblings glanced at each other and beamed. Unknown to them, however, Eugen was feeling a bit bitter and left out from their little circle. 

The Count reinstated Evanthe's lesson schedule and placed extra time with Tutor Wiktor. She would be having lessons together with Eomer on some days as well. Her previous academic tutor was gone. But the rest of her other subjects: ethics, etiquette, music, and ballroom dancing were still present. 

Evanthe knew having Tutor Wiktor as her teacher would be beneficial. She wished she could ask her father to include training sessions as well just like her two brothers and considered her action. She bit her lip. Now was not the time. But eventually. Knowing her father, Tutor Wiktor might have had a hard time convincing him to allow Evanthe a change in tutors. Nevertheless, it had to be soon.

Once breakfast was over, Evanthe made her way to her study where her ethics teacher was waiting for her. However, when she left the dining hall, Eugen was waiting at the door with his arms crossed. He did not look happy. He looked upset. 

"How come you're so close to Eomer now?"

Evanthe furrowed her eyebrows. 

"... What?"

"Must be nice spending time with a smart brother,"

He walked away leaving her alone after his snarky comment, which puzzled Evanthe further. 

"He's angry...?"


omg guys, you do not know how hard it was to churn out 5 & 6. they were actually one chapter can you believe it??? i've been so busy lately now that winter break is finally ending and i've got to bid mods for sch and do my portfolio for an incoming internship sobs. where did the hols go??? g-g-golly. expect late updates after next week. uni would have started and i kinda overloaded this sem. hope yall are keeping safe!

2