Stratagem 56: Never Tie Yourself to the Wrong Person (1)
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jing He went to check whether Qiu Ling was still there after the Fate’s Scribe left and then spent the rest of the day with him. He was somewhat distracted though, constantly thinking of the idea he had come up with and how he could ensure that it would work.

It wasn’t easy and the risk was big. If he was caught, he would have a lot to explain. But even if he wasn’t and succeeded, there was a large chance of this backfiring. Either way, he felt uncomfortable all over thinking that his plan might not work. What should he do then?

Jing He agonized over that the whole day and finally couldn’t sleep at night. He only fell asleep in the early hours of the morning and then got back up after barely two hours had passed. It wasn’t that he wasn’t tired but since there wasn’t much time left, he felt that he had to use every minute of it wisely. Qiu Ling should be returning soon so he couldn’t continue sleeping.

He got ready for the day and by the time he stepped out of his palace, he found Qiu Ling standing in the garden, looking at the flowers with a pensive expression. Jing He felt slightly worried when he saw him like this, wondering what might be going through his lover’s mind. He hesitated for a moment but then still walked up to him, stopping three steps behind him. “Qiu Ling.”

Qiu Ling turned around, his gaze brushing over Jing He’s figure as his lips curved into a smile. He stepped closer and pulled him into his arms, his lips pressing against Jing He’s forehead in greeting. “Good morning, my love. Did you have sweet dreams?”

Jing He’s cheeks flushed and his hands unwittingly raised to Qiu Ling’s chest, faintly curling around the lapel of his robe. Sweet dreams … No, he hadn’t had those. But lying in Qiu Ling’s arms like this still felt like a dream to him. Could he truly marry this man in the future? It seemed impossible but then, everything pointed in that direction.

Jing He lowered his head, his eyes closing gently as he leaned further into Qiu Ling’s arms. “I am afraid I didn’t dream. I am a bit nervous about the trial so I didn’t sleep well.” Ordinarily, he wouldn’t have dared to say this but he wanted Qiu Ling to know that he loathed having to leave for the trial just as much as he did. Thus, the words of complaint left his lips rather easily this time.

Qiu Ling hummed and pulled him closer, one hand rubbing his back in a soothing motion while the other somehow found its way into his hair, the long fingers entangling the black strands. “If you are tired, I wouldn’t mind accompanying you for a nap.”

Jing He’s eyes opened as Qiu Ling whispered into his ear. He hadn’t heard wrong, had he? No, Qiu Ling should indeed have said that. Just imagining such a scene though … his face flushed more deeply.

He had slept in Qiu Ling’s arms before but the circumstances right now were much different. When it happened the first time, it had been late at night and he had accidentally fallen asleep because he felt too comfortable and the environment was too suitable. The second time around, he had been sick and had deliberately been seeking Qiu Ling’s comfort, only feeling his worries lessen while being close to this man. Then the third time, he had become drunk because of the wine that had been switched out and truly couldn’t help it. These three times could be explained easily and even though he would feel embarrassed if it was brought up, it wasn’t too bad either. Right now though …

He and Qiu Ling were engaged in private but nothing had been made public. Not even his parents had been made aware of this yet. Still, the agreement between the two of them naturally changed their relationship. If he were to take a nap in his palace now and invite Qiu Ling to stay … wouldn’t that seem like he was inviting him to join him in bed?

That … surely wouldn’t leave him with a good impression. Although, truth be told, he would love to lie down at Qiu Ling’s side, feeling his strong arms around his body as he slowly drifted off into sleep. At that time, he would certainly feel safer than he ever had as if nothing in the world could ever harm him.

Jing He lowered his head as this thought filled his mind, the worries about the trial forgotten for once. Yes, he wanted this. He wanted to be close to Qiu Ling in every way he could. He simply didn’t dare to. Of course, he also couldn’t bring himself to outright reject Qiu Ling’s suggestion.

In the end, Jing He raised his head, looking at Qiu Ling’s expression which seemed to show a hint of teasing. Apparently, that just now had only been in jest. Thinking of that, he wondered why that was. Was this Qiu Ling taking his sensibilities into account or … was his appeal not strong enough for Qiu Ling to truly want to join him as he slept?

Jing He didn’t know but with the trial at hand, he worried even more than usual. His fingers tightened further around the fabric of Qiu Ling’s robe until he had to force himself to relax. He tried to suppress the anxiety in his heart the same way and forced a smile onto his lips. “The trial isn’t far off so if I can, I’d rather not sleep at all so there will be more time to spend together.” He looked into Qiu Ling’s eyes, hoping that he didn’t sound too desperate.

Qiu Ling’s brows rose faintly. He sure wouldn’t have expected Jing He to say something like this but … well, it was nice. Especially since he felt the same. He sighed and leaned down, resting his chin on Jing He’s shoulder. “I wish we could. I wish we didn’t have to separate but I understand this is important.” He slowed down the rhythm of stroking Jing He’s back, his fingers starting to trace the pattern on the robe as if in a trance.

His beloved … would soon leave the Nine Heavens. Even though he had resolved to follow him, that didn’t mean that he wouldn’t miss the life they had created here. Ah, it sure wasn’t easy to be patient. But there was no other choice. He understood that. “Anyway … is there something important to take care of today or do I still have you to myself today?” His lips brushed Jing He’s ear as if to silently make a promise of the gentle care that would follow if his time was indeed given to him.

Jing He sighed and finally shook his head. “There is nothing urgent yet today.” Anyway, his plan would need some time to prepare so it was alright to indulge in this for just one more day. “So … what would you like to do?” Knowing Qiu Ling, he probably had something in mind already.

Qiu Ling actually hadn’t thought about it but … with his beloved asking like this, he naturally had no problem coming up with something. “Well, shortly before a separation, isn’t it always nice to reminisce about the beautiful times we’ve already shared together? Let’s do that today.” He pulled back a little and smiled brightly before pulling Jing He closer again. “I know exactly where to start. Come!” With that, he grabbed Jing He’s hand and pulled him along further into the city.

0