Stratagem 57: All Is Fair in Love and War (3)
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Just as expected, Qiu Ling was indeed elated to be able to spend more time with Jing He. So that morning, he happily accompanied him on a walk around the capital city. Jing He had suggested this by way of worrying about his father turning up at his palace because he hadn’t spent time with him before going on his trial as he had originally promised. Actually though, he wanted to take a look at the prison from afar to find the best way to set his plan in motion later that day.

He felt guilty for lying to Qiu Ling, probably even more guilty than he felt about damaging the prison and taking possession of a forbidden artifact.

One was simply breaking the law which … naturally shouldn’t be done but he felt that it could be considered justified in light of Qiu Ling’s position. After all, wouldn’t the loss of his first time to another man than Qiu Ling influence the relationship between the gods and the dragons negatively? Looking at it that way, he was doing what had to be done.

The other was betraying the man he loved, using him for something unjust without his knowledge, and also keeping the danger of the trial from him. No matter how he thought, he could find no justification for this. He should tell Qiu Ling what exactly not knowing his past would entail. Surely, his fiance of all people should be made especially aware of how his chastity might be threatened.

But … he didn’t dare to. He didn’t want him to worry about this and he didn’t want to make it sound as if he was doing anything out of the ordinary by protecting his integrity for Qiu Ling’s sake. This was what he should do. So really, it was nothing special. This guilty conscience, he had to live with it for now.

The two of them walked around half the city and finally reached the main gate. Standing in front of each other, Jing He looked up at his lover with heartache showing in his eyes.

Qiu Ling raised his brows and reached down, gently cupping his cheeks. “Is tomorrow already the day?”

Jing He shook his head. “No, there is still one more. It is just …” He paused, not sure what to say. There was so much he could not tell him and he felt trapped in the lies he had told and the truth he hadn’t opened up about.

Qiu Ling nodded though. “I get it. The time is drawing nearer. Today, we already have to say goodbye. Then tomorrow, it will be our last full day together before the trial. I am also reluctant to part.”

Jing He nodded. This was something he wholeheartedly agreed to. “I wish it wasn’t necessary. I would like to simply stay and never leave for the mortal realm.” Yes, everything would be so much easier if he could remain at Qiu Ling’s side. What worries would he need to have then? Unfortunately, it wasn’t possible. He knew that and so did Qiu Ling. It was simply a flight of fancy to imagine otherwise.

Qiu Ling hesitated but finally leaned down and kissed Jing He’s cheek. “Well, you will return soon, and at least, we still have one more day before you have to go. That … is something, isn’t it?”

Jing He nodded but couldn’t bring himself to say anything else.

Qiu Ling pulled him closer up against his chest, sighing faintly. “You said today’s matter is important and might take some time so I truly shouldn’t keep you any longer. Otherwise, if you have to keep being busy until late at night, I’d truly feel too guilty.”

Jing He reached up, his palms brushing over Qiu Ling’s broad back, his fingertips tightening for a moment. “It’s alright. I don’t mind. Having a few more moments with each other also sounds good.”

Usually, he wouldn’t dare to say such a thing but … what he intended to do was dangerous. Something might go wrong while he tried and he could be injured or he could be caught and would be punished afterward. Either way, who knew if they could truly spend that day together tomorrow? He didn’t want to think about it but there was such a risk.

So yes, he wanted to leave Qiu Ling with the knowledge that he desired to be with him just as much as Qiu Ling wanted to stay with him. Even if he might seem like he was being too much, it just seemed like the right thing to do.

Of course, Qiu Ling never would have thought Jing He was being too much. On the contrary, he felt like he was floating after getting this kind of confirmation from his beloved. For a moment, he really had trouble holding back from simply kissing him straight on the lips and declaring his love again.

At the last moment, he barely held back, not wanting to destroy this beautiful moment between them. Instead, he gently kissed Jing He on the forehead, his lips lingering for a moment. “It will feel like nothing but a moment that we are separated and after that, we will get married and stay together for the rest of our lives. So don’t worry about anything, just finish your preparations and go down to the mortal realm without fear. I will always wait for your return.” Of course, the reason it would be nothing but a moment was mostly that he would be at his side anyway. They would indeed hardly be separated.

Jing He nodded, his heart swelling with happiness. “Yes, I will … I will prepare well to make sure that nothing goes wrong during the trial.” He looked deeply into Qiu Ling’s eyes, reconfirming his choice.

Finally, the two of them bid goodbye and Jing He watched as Qiu Ling left the capital city through the gate. He closed his eyes when he could not see his lover any longer, faintly exhaled, and then turned back in the direction he had come from. Now, everything depended on how naturally he could act. It certainly wouldn’t be easy but he refused to give up without trying. Too much depended on this.

He clenched his hands into fists, tried to silently reassure himself, and then took a deep breath to calm down. He never showed his worries or fears in front of others and right now, he shouldn’t have any. He needed to seem calm and relaxed. He had only taken a walk and now, he was simply going to visit a friend of his uncle’s. It really was nothing out of the ordinary.

Jing He passed the back of the prison in full view of the guards who were stationed there at regular intervals. They had already seen him walk in the other direction with Qiu Ling earlier so now that he came back alone, everyone simply thought he was on the way back. Their gazes followed him for a while but nobody stepped forward. They were all on duty and this place was too important to leave for even a moment. Right now, he was in view as well so there was no need to worry.

Only when he was about to pass the prison did one of the guards step forward, inclining his head toward him. “Your Highness, should we contact somebody to accompany you?” Earlier, the dragon king had been with him. While not everyone liked the idea of these two people being an item, everyone could at least agree that that man was strong enough to easily protect him. Letting their crown prince walk around alone though … that seemed too dangerous.

Jing He froze, not having expected to be spoken to. His heart seemed to stop for a moment and he slowly turned around, not sure how to react. Had they noticed something?

The guard felt a bit sheepish when he was looked at as if the other side had no idea what he meant. He cleared his throat and then motioned in the direction Jing He had been walking in. “It seems like the distance back to your palace is quite big and you don’t have any guards with you. It … might be a little unsafe so far away from … everyone.” The prison was one of the furthest buildings from the titled palaces and security measures on the outskirts of the city weren’t as tight. This really couldn’t be called safe enough for someone of his station.

Jing He finally relaxed and gave the guard his usual faint smile. “Thank you for your concern. You’re naturally right. I should have thought about that and asked for somebody to accompany me.” He hesitated for a moment and then glanced at the path leading back into the city next to the prison. “Well, why don’t I return from here? I wanted to go and see the God of Justice anyway.”

The guard hurriedly nodded. “Of course.” While that path itself wasn’t as well guarded as the back and front of the prison, there were still a few of them and as soon as the crown prince came out on the other side, there would be all the guards of the Court of Justice. It would be much safer. “Should we inform somebody of your arrival?”

Jing He nodded. “If that doesn’t cause any problems, that would be for the best. I didn’t think to tell him ahead of time so who knows if I would disturb him?”

The guard hastily shook his head. “I’m sure you wouldn’t. I … I will pass a message. Your Highness should better be on your way. This isn’t a very safe place.”

“Of course. Thank you again for your reminder.” With that, Jing He finally entered the passage that he had chosen as the place of the later disturbance.

0