Preparations
57 0 4
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Jome has been searching for a few hours going back from the party to searching vice versa, she looked for him all over, ever since he disappeared.

'Is he that much of a rat to run away!'

"D-do you want to-to dance with me?"

"Zinnia will you give me the honor"

Jome walked into something interesting and decided to watch for a bit. After seeing such a horrible display she was trying so hard not to laugh and get noticed.

After they had finished dancing, they chatted away. Ray trying out these delicacies he has dreamed of having is finally eating it and making some weird faces, which in turn made Zinnia laugh.

"Well if it isn't the rat with a veterinarian, just to warn you trying to cure rats of their disease ain't possible. Rats will always be rats and contract a new disease no matter what it does, that's why we kill them off whenever possible"

The mood was soured and the two have quieted down. Zinnia infuriated with her ruining her plan to cheer Rayburn up before he leaves, with the evil twins, she was about to throw a plate of food at her.

Ray noticing this stops her in her tracks, "Don't worry about it, I don't want to cause you or your family trouble because I am incompetent"

"You aren't inco-"

"That's right you better start learning your place, but as I said earlier I am going to give you a chance to get out of that by becoming my sla-... ahem, bodyguard prove that you are worth something"

Ray and Zinnia both look at each other and then back at Jome.

"And this is only for the trip to Siegfried you have to protect Frin and me on the way there and that's all"

'It doesn't sound like a bad idea but it's the twins we are talking about…'

"We will supply you with basic armor and weapons of your choosing tonight. We will be leaving in a few days. Don't be late or you will stay a filthy rat"

The two watch Jome walk away laughing loudly from her own joke. Ray and Zinnia went back to eating but they were less talkative. Ray wasn't excited to eat the food anymore. The way he was eating it reminded Zinnia how he eats from the trash, that same look that he has on his face. His eyes became shallow and dead, his facial expression of a soldier who became broken from war.

"Ray, if you do decide I can teach you how to use a sword, my brother was an adventurer and he taught me a few things whenever I get to see him. Maybe you could become an adventurer"

This gave Rayburn an idea, 'The system said I need to win battles or complete quests to get stronger and that would mean I could fend for myself more'

Rayburn jumped from excitement from the idea and grabbed Zinnia's hand startling her.

"Zinnia thank you I would really appreciate it if you taught me how to use the sword"

Seeing how positively it affected Ray, she pumped herself out more.

"She clearly believes you are not going to do well and if I can help you improve and you can prove to her that she is wrong"

[New Quest: Learn basic swordsmanship from 'Zinnia'. Rewards: ???]

Thus was the second time the system has given him a quest, and if he wants to improve he would have to use the system to the fullest but he would first need to learn more about it.

"Let's start tomorrow morning, and I wanna practice away from everyone so meet me at the tower. I know a place later down the hill where it's safe."

"Ooh and my dad has a few pair of swords because my brother said we need to protect ourselves if others can't protect us"

"Alright it's a date, well I gotta hurry back since it sounds that they are finished. See you tomorrow!"

'D-d-d-d-date' those words coming out of Ray's mouth started to make her head spin. 'No, I need to stay focused. I promised him I would help him out and I'll do my best'

The party had settled and the majority of the people had left for their homes or passed out from drinking too much. Since Ray worked a bit earlier, it was much easier to clean up after everyone. It was mostly confetti, food that was dropped, and bottles on the floor.

Done with his tasks, Rayburn walked to the town hall to see if the Mayor was there. But he was told that he'd have to go to the Mayor's place.

The Mayor and the twins live a bit away from the village and live in a small mansion. Metal fences were going around the perimeter and the only way to get in is through the front gate.

When going towards the mansion Ray spots a butler outside the gate. He seemed to be a middle-aged man but with gray hair slicked back with a scar on his left eye.

'So they want me to enter their home'

"H-hello my names Rayburn I was told to come here to get the equipment by Jome"

"Ah, you are the rat that the mistress was talking about"

Ray wasn't even surprised to be called that by the butler.

"Please come this way, they are going to meet you in the conference hall"

After getting past the gate and into the mansion, the interior had a red-colored theme from the walls to the carpet. Marble floor and stairs and a bit of gold sprinkled now and then. Large paintings of previous mayors that lived here. There were pots of various patterns from what Ray could see at the entrance hall.

"Follow me, it's this way"

They went between the double stairway and into a room where the Mayor and the twins were waiting.

"Took you long enough father, Frin and I have been waiting a long time"

"Sorry, I thought we were going to meet in the town hall"

"Rayburn if you could follow us to the next room to pick out the equipment you need to protect my children"

"Yes sir"

They enter a room to the right and there is a whole arsenal of weapons here.


almost done with chapter 10, after I finish I need to continue adding plot points

4