Confessions
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

There was a low noise in the air.

Then another, and another.

Much louder noises popped in quick succession, pulling Jaff out of his sleep.

He threw sheets off himself and jumped up. What the blazes is all that noise?

The sounds settled in his ears. Fireworks.

Wiping the waves in his short dark hair, Jaff looked around. Light-colored walls surrounded him and the cushions beneath him were unbelievably soft. When did he make it back to civilization? Where was civilization?

More importantly, where was Aiden?

As his bare feet touched the wooden floor, a chill ran up his thighs. He quickly pulled the sheets back over himself. Where are my clothes?!

“Nice to have you back, Jaff,” came Farah’s voice from behind.

He turned around as she parted curtains over a window, allowing natural light inside. “Aiden was beginning to worry about you.”

Jaff narrowed his eyes, seeking to keep the sun from invading them. “What...where are we?”

“Safe, I think. At least for now. I set some clothes aside for you on the chair over there. Get dressed whenever you’re ready,” Farah said, closing the door behind herself.

Fireworks exploded again. They were muffled that time and fewer. Some sort of celebration.

Nothing was visible through the window except low cut grass and a small evergreen tree. Spotted with large spiky cones, its thin, dark branches hung downward. It was the type of tree that only grew on the Ahrman continent.

Safe, she said.

He sprung out of bed and slid into his clothes. The slacks were a size too big and a shade too light. He grimaced at how short the pale blue top.

“Farah?” he called, leaving the room. The adjacent room was much bigger and brighter. There was hardly a spot on the wall that wasn’t made of glass. Over his shoulder, the roofs of a sprawling city could be seen. At least they were far away from curious faces.

Suddenly his knees began to tremble and the light around him began to fade.

“Jaff!” Farah said, catching his fall. She helped him over to a seat at a small table. “You’re still too weak to be out of bed.”

“No...I’m fine,” Jaff said. “I got up too fast, that’s all.”

“You pushed yourself too much with that last morph, Jaff. You should get back in bed.”

“What happened? The last thing I can remember...”

“We escaped but not very far. You collapsed on one of those Ahrman cargo ships loaded with fish. If I hadn’t turned us all invisible..”

“How long was I out?”

“Five days.” Farah left the table. “You must be dying of thirst.”

“So, where are we now?” Jaff asked, studying the landscape.

Farah emptied a pitcher of water into a glass cup. “That cargo ship docked here. It’s called Haggard. I’ve never been here before, myself.”

“Neither have I,” Jaff said, rubbing his head. “We’ll stand out more here than in Midaharia.”

“We definitely won’t blend in. But there are quite a few of us here, for the festival.” Farah handed Jaff the glass. “Try to drink slowly.”

“Where’s Aiden?”

Farah looked over her shoulder and pointed at the young man. “Right there.” Aiden sat under a large spruce tree, his attention captured by the book in his hands. “He’s studying...about Rebirths.”

“What?” Jaff jumped from his chair and peered out the window. As Quinn, he spent all of his time keeping Aiden away from Rebirths. Watching him learn about the runes he was made to destroy churned his stomach. “Whose idea was that?”

“His.”

“He doesn’t know what he’s doing.”

“He wants to learn how to protect himself, Jaff.”

Jaff grabbed her arm and pulled her to the side. “You’re okay with this? Your clan is the one who wrote that prophesy about him destroying Rebirths and bringing about damnation. Now you’re going to let it come to pass?”

“What would you have me do about it?!” Farah said, snatching her arm free. Her eyes began to water. “I hated that child for killing my sister! I tried taking his life when he was a baby! I tried! If your brother hadn’t interfered and if you, Jaff, hadn’t run away with him, we wouldn’t be having this conversation!”

“What’s going on?” asked Aiden, standing in the doorway.

“It’s nothing,” Farah said, turning her back to him. She wiped her eyes. “Jaff... has something he wants to tell you. I’ll leave you two alone.”

“Where’re you going, Farah?” Jaff asked.

“To join the festivities.”

“What festival?” Jaff asked as the door closed.

“They’re releasing monsters in the city for people to kill,” Aiden said, taking a seat at the table. He opened a book and pulled out a flyer. Monster Fest, read a large, bold title. “I think the winner should get a medal for actually surviving the whole thing.”

Are you brave enough to stand against the wildest monsters in the country? And live? Come, all you hunters, and prove who is the mightiest in the annual Monster Hunt! Winner takes all! Losers get eaten!

“Sounds like something those silly Ahrman would do. Is she going to take part in this?”

“I think so. So, what do you want to talk about, Jaff?”

“I wanted to tell you...” Jaff began. He looked at the young man seated across him. How much time had passed since he saw him? A month? Maybe two? He looked so much older now; more mature. Maybe it was because the last time he saw him, he was running on four legs?

Or was it something else? His irises were in the quarter phase now.

"Are you and Farah married?” Aiden asked.

“What? No, we’re not married. Why would you ask that?”

“You two were arguing just now. And she was really worried about you while you were passed out. She sat with you almost the entire time.”

I thought she said Aiden was the worried one. “No, no, we are not married, Aiden. I just met her in...” Jaff paused. “I met Farah the same night you did. In Khalm.”

Aiden’s eyes lit up. “You’re from Khalm too?”

“Yes. Well, not exactly. I..I don’t know how to tell you this. I’ll just show you.”

In the blink of an eye, Jaff morphed into Quinn. He stood on the table with his short, furry arms spread out. “Miss me?”

“Quinn!!!” Aiden shrieked. He snatched Quinn off the table and held him tight to his chest. “You’re alive! I can’t believe it!”

“I won’t be for much longer if you don’t let go of me...!” Quinn insisted, squirming in the young man’s arms.

Aiden eased his grasp. “Oh! I’m sorry. I’m just...I can’t believe you’re here. You’re alive! You...!” He held Quinn out at arm's length and took a long look at him. “You’re Jaff?”

“I’m also your uncle,” Jaff said, morphing back to normal.

“My..uncle?”

Jaff knelt on the floor and took the young man’s hand. “Aiden, I took from danger when you were born and brought you to Khalm. I had to leave you Laul’s care and disguise myself as Quinn at the time because the authorities were looking for me.”

“Why?”

“They knew I had you. They wanted us both dead. Your mother died during childbirth and your father, my brother, I heard he was executed.” Jaff dropped his head. “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have misled you all these years.”

Silence overcame the room. Jaff didn’t dare raise his head. Was he mad at me? Did he hate me now?

His uncertainty eased as Aiden wrapped his arms around him. “I have an uncle,” Aiden smiled, resting his head on Jaff’s shoulder. “Uncle Quinn.”

“Yes.” Jaff pulled him close. “Uncle Quinn.”

0