The Hunt
1 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Fireworks exploded throughout the sky, briefly drowning out the cheering crowd.

Young and old were gathered on the sidewalks watching a wagon train of caged beasts extending for half a mile. ‘KEEP BACK’, read a sign on every cage.

Some were nearly too big for the metal walls around them. Others looked too small to be considered dangerous.

There were no crowds where the monsters were headed. A segment of downtown Haggard, evacuated and barricaded, awaited their arrival. Once there the beasts would be set free. And the hunt would be on.

Officials stationed on rooftops observed the action, keeping records of who killed what. Or what killed who, as the case may be.

With only ten minutes to prepare for the main event, Farah studied a map of the cordon off zone. Taking part in the Monster Hunt wasn’t something she had planned. But hunting kept her focused and her emotions in check.

Another round of fireworks burst overhead. I will lose my hearing under those things.

As she watched the fireworks trail downward, her gaze rested on a familiar face standing behind her.

The Ahrman from Khalm! She grabbed the hilt of her sword. “You!”

The Ahrman took hold of her hand and forced the sword back into its sheath. “Save it for the beasts,” he whispered.

Farah jumped back. “What are you doing here?!”

“I live here,” Botis said, releasing her hand. “What are you doing here, Farah?”

“If I knew you were here I would have found you first!”

“Are you still upset about that dead woman back in Khalm?”

“She was my blood sister! You murdered her for that Rebirth!”

“I thought you Khalina women were supposed to be warriors. Maybe you should have taught her how to fight.”

“Why you..!” Farah said, pulling her sword from its sheath.

The Ahrman jumped back, avoiding her weapon with a twirl. “And to think I was going to skip this year’s hunt.”

He turned and ran down an alley. Farah immediately gave chase.

***

Val watched the wagon train continue down the stone-paved road. It was his first time seeing so many untamed beasts locked in cages. Joining the Hunt was tempting, but business before pleasure. Without any leads or luck, Val searched the streets of Haggard for several days looking for Aiden and his rescuers.

Finding what didn’t want to be found wasn’t in his job description. His big brother Sisten was better in that department. But, Alba threatened to 'skin him alive' if he came back without Aiden.

“I’ll have a large glass of water,” Val said, leaning against a store counter.

“Water?” the store owner replied. “Water is free. How about a glass of sassafras instead? It’s half off today.”

Val reached over the counter and grabbed the man by his collar. “Did I ask for ‘fras? It’s disgusting! Now give me some water!”

“Okay! Okay! Just calm down, young fella.”

Val snatched the glass from the merchant and swallowed the water in one gulp. It was funny how he commanded water with his Rebirth, but, at the same time, he was always thirsty.

“Thanks,” he said, setting the glass down.

As he skimmed over the crowd Val instantly recognized one of the emperor’s generals, Idris. Val watched him move through the river of jubilant faces without a care. I must be on the right track after all.

***

Jaff starred over the map laid out before him. Haggard may be Ahrman territory, but the major city had no ties with the empire. It sat thousands of miles away from the capital. Which meant it was thousands of more miles away from Midaharia’s reach.

Maybe we were safe here.

The air was fresh here. It wasn’t too hot or too cold. So far, anyway. And at least they were miles above the city and its people. Farah might be right. Farah.

Jaff shifted his attention to the Monster Hunt flyer. Fireworks were still being set off throughout the city. Farah must be crazy to take part in such a festival. He wasn’t about to step foot anywhere near a wild monster, let alone a city full of them.

Being in the middle of a large number of people wasn’t the smartest idea. They weren’t far enough from the fishing village or that Ahrman with the water Rebirth. Jaff was certain he was still after them.

What’s she thinking?

He lifted his gaze and spotted Aiden through a window. The young man stood beneath that tree again with glowing hands. Jaff jumped from his chair.

“Aiden!” he called, charging out the glass door. He marched over to the young man and spun him around. The half-moon in his irises were illuminated. “Aiden! Stop that!”

Aiden blinked the glow out of his eyes. “Jaff, it’s okay. I can control it now. See?”

He opened his hand and showed Jaff a Rebirth. “I made it just now. Take it.”

“I do not want it! Aiden, you don’t understand how dangerous this is!”

“Take it,” Aiden insisted. He grabbed his uncle’s left hand and stuffed the rune in it. “Now, watch.”

Aiden covered Jaff’s hand with his. They were immediately wrapped in bright yellow light. The rune instantly dissolved in their hands, small specks of light sprinkled to the ground.

“I figured out how to destroy them,” Aiden smiled.

“Aiden..” Jaff paused. He knelt down and looked his nephew in the eyes. “I wish you hadn’t learned that. This...this is why people wanted you dead; you can disarm them. Nations have destroyed each other with this power in the past. They’re not going to want someone like you taking it away from them.”

“Wouldn’t the world be better off without these Rebirths?”

“How can I make you understand?! This is what they said you would do! I wanted to keep you away from Rebirths so this would not happen! So you wouldn’t lead us to..”

“Damnation?”

Jaff paused briefly. “Farah told you.”

“No. The Ahrman from that fishing village did. He said I was going to bring damnation with me. That’s what scares you so much, isn’t it?”

“Don’t concern yourself with that right now,” Jaff said, standing back up. “And stop using those runes.”

“Uncle Jaff, wait. I have to tell you why,” Aiden said, clutching his fist. “I was unconscious..with the fishermen and..I...I made something. I remember that night I made a Rebirth.”

Jaff shook his head. “You were dreaming.” Let it be a dream!

“I wasn’t, uncle Jaff. I know I wasn’t!” Aiden shifted his attention to the sky over the city. “Do you see that?”

A tear appeared in the borderless blue sky. It was as if someone had parted it with a knife, causing the heavens to bleed.

“What?” Jaff responded, skimming over the sky. “What do you see?”

“No! No! No! No!!!” Aiden took off running. “We have to find Farah! Fast!”

“But I don’t see a thing! Aiden! What’s out there!?”

“Someone’s summoned the Catalyst Rebirth!”

0