Heaven’s Cry
2 0 0
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

The Midaharian capital Ras Almal

“Idris?” Lahan called, stepping into his fellow general’s personal quarters. His bed was clean and neat, long curtains still blocked out the morning light. He walked over to the window and parted the curtains.

The extra light didn’t change anything; Idris was gone without a word. Where the devil could he be?

His hand on his hilt, Lahan took to the hallway. He glanced into every room with an open door along the way.

In spite of being the youngest of the five generals, Idris was rather responsible. If he needed personal time away, he would have requested it. Disappearing without a trace was completely unlike him.

“Lahan!” Isa called, walking up to him. Meek and slender, he was the only general that never stepped foot on the battlefield. Getting into one’s mind was his specialty, even before he started using the Rebirth of Manipulation.

“You’re up and about, Isa. I’m glad.”

“You won’t be for long. My Rebirth has been stolen.”

“Stolen? Are you certain?’

“I've searched my entire quarters. It’s gone.”

“Now hold on. You were pretty exhausted after aiding Tears. Are you sure you didn’t drop it somewhere?”

“I know where I left it, Lahan. It’s not there. If the enemy has it...”

“Generals!” a voice came from behind. A young man ran up to them, his light chainmail rattling like a sack of coins. He held his cap on his head with one hand and a rolled-up flyer in the other. “It’s war! It’s official!”

“What are you talking about, young man?” asked Lahan.

“The emperor..!” the soldier started, catching his breath. He handed Lahan the flyer. “Read it for yourself!”

All able-bodied men and boys are to prepare for an incoming attack on our shores by the enemy. A preemptive strike will be unleashed on our foes within the next twenty-four hours. Be prepared for a swift response by the empire. Defend our borders at all costs.

Lahan clenched the paper in his fist. “Has he prepared the catalyst?”

“Did I miss something while I was sleeping?” asked Isa.

“I’ll fill you in later. Young man?”

“Sir?”

“Have you come across any other generals? General Idris specifically?”

The soldier shook his head. “You were the first one I’ve seen today. Excuse me, I need to spread the news!”

“Is Idris missing as well?” Isa asked as concern grew on Lahan’s face.

“Wait here, Isa. I'll be right back."

Haggard

Farah met a dead-end alley and spun around. Where did that Ahrman go?

Chasing after him in an unfamiliar city wasn’t the smartest thing she had done. Rushed movement from behind reminded her that there were far more dangerous monsters on the prowl than him.

She jumped aside, escaping the grasp of long claws.

One of the beasts for the festival, an outline of its ribs visible through its short, red fur. They must have starved these animals for days!

With a loud roar, the beast lunged at Farah. She retreated quickly to a row of exit stairs and climbed out of its reach. “You poor creature,” she said, watching it pace below. “They made you so hungry..”

Someone grabbed her from behind and caught her weapon hand. “Are you really sympathetic to that beast?” asked Botis.

“Then why don’t you feed it?” he said, throwing her over the metal railing.

She was invisible before her body hit the ground. Guided by a strong sense of smell, the beast jumped on top of her. It was after a quick kill and her neck was an easy target.

Farah caught its teeth with the blade of her sword. She lit it up with lightning, stunning the beast unconscious.

“I want that back,” the Botis said as Farah shoved the four-legged predator off her body.

“Try me for it, you piece of filth!”

***

Many people gathered on the sidewalk. Too many. There was barely room to breathe, let alone run. But, somehow Aiden found a way. “Excuse me! Move, please!”

“Aiden! Slow down!” Jaff called, fighting his way through shoulders, arms, and gay faces. If the situation was as dire as Aiden thought, then Farah wasn’t the only one in danger. Jaff looked up at the sky and saw nothing out of the ordinary.

There were twenty-two Rebirths. As intrigued as he was about them years ago, Jaff thought he knew all of them by name. During his studies, there was no mention of Catalyst.

Was this something new? Perhaps Damnation?

“Aiden!” Jaff frowned. The young man was nowhere in sight. He looked up again and saw it; a rip in the heavens. “It can't be..!”

Ras Almal

He was off his horse before the animal came to a stop. Lahan sprinted up to the door of a white marble structure. Many of its walls were completely glass. However, he couldn't see inside the home. He heard that only those within its walls had the privilege of seeing through the thick glass.

What else would one expect from the home of the emperor's strategists?

Lahan rattled the door with his fist. "Qahir! Open up in there!"

It was a minute or so before the bearded man came to the door. "What is the meaning of this, general?" he asked, holding his night robe close with one hand.

"Where is the emperor?"

"At his compound, I assume."

"I just came from there," Lahan said, barging through the door. "What's the word on that catalyst rune? Have you figured out how to use it, yet?"

"Yes."

"Have you used it yet?"

"Lahan, it is quite early for this. Allow me a minute to.."

Lahan stood over the strategist. "Do you intend on using catalyst on the Rebirth Destroyer?"

"That is privileged information."

Lahan drew his blade and held it under Qahir's neck. "Tell me!"

"Y-Yes, of course!" Qahir flinched, staring at the weapon. "The rune should render him and everything else to ashes."

"Where?!"

"The Ahrman city of Haggard."

"Can you call it off?"

"Catalyst isn't like your ice rune, general. Once it starts there's no stopping it."

"Blast it, Idris!" Lahan said, retracting his blade. "Don't be a fool!"

He threw the door open and dashed to his mount.

Qahir stood in the doorway, watching the general ride off. "The emperor will hear about your atrocious behavior, Lahan!"

Haggard

Botis deflected Farah's blade with his own. He stepped back, catching a lunge and a sweep. Farah wasn't letting up. A well-timed duck gave the Ahrman an advantage. Low to the ground, he swung his leg, knocking Farah to the pavement.

He jumped on top of her and drew his weapon back. Farah quickly wrapped her legs around his neck. She flipped him to his back and held him down. As she raised her sword, Farah noticed the Ahrman's attention was beyond her. She looked up over her shoulder.

A tear in the sky veined across the heavens. Then there was a sharp pain in her stomach.

"You took your eyes off of me," Botis said, forcing his sword deeper. He looked back up at the ominous sky. "At least you'll die before me."

"You first." Farah grabbed the Ahrman by his jaw and sent lightning coursing through his body. "I insist!"

***

A fifth dark hole cut an opening in the sky; another tear was still coming. Someone wanted to destroy Haggard and every living thing in it. I should warn these people before it's too late!

Aiden turned to the crowd of people, oblivious to what was unfolding over their heads.

Where was Farah? And where did Jaff go?! He couldn’t keep up as Quinn and he couldn’t keep up now!

Aiden exhaled deeply. So many people are going to die! I need to do something!

“Everyone! Listen! You need to --" Aiden's warning was interrupted when someone grabbed his shoulder.

“Aiden!” Idris said. “I finally found you, kid. Come with me.”

Aiden spun around. “Who are you?!”

“I said come with me!” Idris said, taking Aiden by the hand.

“You’re trying to control me..my mind with...a Rebirth...!”

“Don’t resist it! You have to come!”

“No...I won’t..!” Aiden's eyes illuminated as he clutched Idris’ hand. Both of their palms lit up.

“What are you doing!?” Idris exclaimed, watching the remains of his Rebirth crumble to the ground. “You...you shattered it!”

“Now you have nothing!” Aiden said, his eyes glowing brighter. With the wave of a hand, he sent Idris flying through a brick wall. “And. I. Have. Them. ALL!”

“Do you have this one?” Val asked, forming a water bubble around Aiden. The flow of water suddenly stopped and dispersed.

“I guess you do,” Val said as he was trapped in an orb of water. The liquid quickly turned to ice, freezing the Ahrman in place.

“Aiden! That’s enough!” Jaff ordered.

“They came after me, Uncle Jaff!”

Jaff stormed over to his nephew and struck him down with the back of his hand. “I don’t care about the Ahrman or the emperor’s loyal lackey!” He pulled Aiden up by his collar. “All I care about is you! You losing yourself to your destiny! Don’t you dare make me regret the last fourteen years of my life!”

“I - I’m...” Aiden stared into his uncle’s eyes. The disappointment, the anger he saw stung harder than the pain on his cheek.

A thunderous sound erupted overheard, seizing their attention. Balls of rock the size of most homes in the city pierced through the sky. Panicked screams followed below. In their disorganized haste to flee, the crowd of people stepped over each other. Children and the elderly be damn.

“Save yourselves!” a man shouted.

Aiden hovered off the ground and turned his attention to the lead meteor. It was the closest to the city as it plummeted to earth. With both hands glowing, Aiden was met with resistance as he attempted to change its path.

“I - I can’t stop it! Nothing's working! Why can’t I stop it?!”

“Stop trying!” Jaff morphed into a large cat and snatched Aiden down by his collar.

“But Farah...!” Aiden shouted, dangling from the cat’s jaws.

Jumping from wall to wall, Jaff ran well above the path of the panicked crowd. Buildings crumbled beneath his feet as the first meteor struck. Another blocked the sun as it carved a slow path over their heads.

Cutting a corner would buy them a minute or less. As the meteor exploded on impact, decimating every building in its path, there was no place to run.

Another blast sent the large cat hurling through the air.

***

A chariot hovered miles away from the chaos.

Smoke rose from Haggard as the meteors continued to fall. The Midaharian emperor sat on the deck, observing the destruction and a tall glass of the finest wine.

“..Eleven..” he said, watching the sky tear apart over Haggard. Another meteor fell, another sip from his glass.

“There should be one more, sir,” an advisor said, standing next to him.

“Once it’s done I want you to keep an eye on that catalyst star. We need to be the first to know when its rebirth occurs.”

“Of course, sir.”

“And twelve.” He raised his glass as the next meteor plummeted to the city, his long robe dancing in the wind.

Good riddance Haggard. Farewell Rebirth Destroyer.

0