A New Patient
18 0 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Second Month of Ablesun, Ninth Day, GY 799

 

A third of the year had passed by quickly. I have been working for a little more than three months now. The days go by rather casually. There weren’t a lot of serious injuries or illnesses despite the number of residents living in the town.

 

Of course, that didn’t mean that we didn’t have much work to do. Of the three months that had passed, we hosted and managed three different festivals celebrating the start of the farming seasons as well as the calming of the bright and overbearing sun.

 

So, something strange happened today. Or rather, something unusual happened.

 

Today started out like any other day. But then, towards the afternoon, two people charged in while carrying a third on a wooden sled.

 

The third person was a young man around his late teens or early twenties. He wore simple clothes that signified his status as a commoner.

 

Since it was a commoner, it did not warrant the presence of the head priest. So, it was up to the job of one of the lower ranked…aka me, the cleric, or the other priestess.

 

Since I was busy blessing a newborn baby and the cleric was busy with healing a snake bite, the priestess was assigned to the task. As I kept an eye on the priestess in case she needed any help, the young woman started questioning one of the men.

 

From the conversation I overheard, the patient had suffered from fatigue a few days ago which quickly evolved to weakness and lack of energy. It got to the point that he couldn’t even get out of bed or lift his limbs.

 

Given the symptoms, the priestess diagnosed the young man as anemic. Even I had thought of it as anemic…at first.

 

The priestess gave the young man a minor healing and a blessing of strength. The young man seemed to have improved in his condition.

 

But, just as they were about to leave, I caught a glimpse of the young man’s neck. There was a shade of black. When I did a double-take, I couldn’t see it anymore. I’m sure I saw something…but then again…did I really?

 

Maybe my eyes were playing tricks on me. It might just be nothing. Well, I’ll call it a day. Good night!

3