Ch11: Oath of Binding
29 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Vanfall, Mooncrest: The Board
Chess Pieces Sanctum
11:45PM — 2nd Imperial Night

The temple was quiet at this time around. Many of the believers and priests have long retreated into their rooms and houses. Not a soul can be heard except for one. Assel Geuffroi hurried his way to the Sanctum, his cloak still covering most of his face. After his conversation with the princess, there was something that needed to be done. And the others had the right to know about their current situation. 

He looked around for a sign of life, but nobody was there except for him. He walked into an empty and humble prayer room; one that nobles wouldn’t want to go into because of its lack of extravagance and plainness. But it was the perfect place to hide the Sanctum. He descended stone stairs after putting mana into a shabby mirror and made his way down the winding steps. When his feet reached the bottom, a small door opened for him, one that he stepped in. 

Inside was a completely different room. The walls were colored in maroon and adorned with numerous specks of gold and silver. Expensive furniture decorated the area and a fireplace powered by a mana fire crackled from behind. There were windows with pretty, white curtains, but there was no scenery outside. Those were just simply for decoration to make the place seem like it wasn’t a room underground. 

In the middle of the room sat a red and large round table, covered with the finest linen cloth and small vases of artificially grown flowers. A chesterfield sat in the far corner, next to a massive bookshelf. And on that chesterfield sat a woman, cross legged while holding a glass of wine. She had her head turned to the windows, but who knows what she was looking at. Perhaps she was in her mind, drowning in some thoughts. 

“You have arrived, my son.” An old man emerged from another door and walked in. His face was caked with time, a white beard grew on his face as he made his way towards the round table, a black cloak covering his hair. 

“It took you a while this time, Assel.” The woman finally spoke, still looking outside. 

“It’s not like I can apparate to different places like you can, Anselene.” 

The woman, Anselene, laughed as she swirled the wine in her glass. She stood up ever-so-slowly and made her way to the round table. “The others are taking their sweet time. I have many things to do outside of this meeting.” 

“Impatient as always, sister.”

“Jourdain.” 

A man who awfully looked similar to Anselene walked in the Sanctum as well. Behind him were three more other people, two of them were covered by masks and refused to speak about nonsensical matters. They all were seated on the round table, looking at Assel expectantly. 

“Do we really have to wait for those people? They are taking their time.” Anselene asked as she started to play with fire she conjured on her finger. Jourdain looked at his sister hopelessly and turned his head towards Assel with a smile. 

“Has it been a while since we’ve last seen each other, Duke Assel?” 

“We saw each other in the Court of Nobles yesterday, Marquis.” 

Jourdain laughed out loud and slapped the round table, surprising the two masked men seated next to him. “Can you please be quiet, Jourdain? Can’t you see you’re bothering a lot of people right next to you?” Anselene didn’t sound too pleased with her brother’s conduct. She gave him a knowing glare and continued to play with her wine. 

“We apologise for being late.” Four more people came into the Sanctum and populated the round table. There was no time to waste, Grand Duke Geuffroi cleared his throat, gaining the attention of everyone seated on the table. 

“If you may start, son.” 

“Yes, father.” Assel heaved a sigh and looked at all of his allies. “The Princess has accepted our plea.” 

Gasps could be heard in the room as whispers followed suit. Assel knew that there were some people who were against the Princess becoming monarch. It was understandable because Ostulia never had a reigning monarch who was female before. Nor did the people ever think they would have one. And yet here they are, sitting around the table hearing the nonsense that their chosen monarch was the precious princess of King Jehanel. 

“This is absurd, Assel Geuffroi!” Anselene was the first one to voice out her contention. “I willingly joined the Sanctum expecting you to cause rebellion and take the throne away from that bastard!” She vocalised her opinions. Opinions that the others on the table seemed to share. 

“I did not come here to support a beloved princess who’ll take the throne from her outstanding brother! That Princess is not someone who can bear the crown!” 

“I already told you, over and over again, that I will not be taking the throne away. That is not my fight, but for the High King’s successors. And watch your mouth Anselene, that princess is my niece.” Assel Geuffroi’s voice was dangerously low. But his words did not reach his allies. 

They were not here to support the princess who was hidden from society. 

“It seems like this rebellion is doomed from the very beginning.” Anselene declared. 

“You jump to conclusions too fast, sister.” Jourdain looked at her with a disappointed expression. “Can you at least let the Duke finish speaking?”

“As much as I am with Madame Anselene, I will hear you out, Duke Geuffroi. If this is not to my satisfaction, I will remove myself from this rebellion and side elsewhere.” The man with the mask spoke up, his voice was tender. 

“I have made the Oath of Binding with the Princess and I shall serve her as my King until the day I die.” 

“What nonsense!” another woman next to the masked man voiced out. There was evident dissatisfaction in her face as she looked at Assel Geuffroi with disappointment. 

“How could you make that decision without consulting the Board?!” Her face was red with anger and Assel could see her trembling. She was really angry. 

“This is just absurd! Very absurd! Our opponent for the throne is Prince Cedrin whose reputation keeps growing every single day! And yet you pledge allegiance to the princess who has no influence or reputation whatsoever?!” A burly man with a visible face scarring cried from the other side.

“That’s right! How is she going to keep up with prince Ccedrin’s growing reputation?!” Another one voiced their opinions while Anselene kept quiet, sitting on her chair with a visible frown on her face.

One by one, the room became noisy with all of the members talking amongst themselves and voicing their dissatisfaction. 

“Silence!” The Grand Duke screamed and the room fell silent. “Are we barbarians to speak over each other like this?!” Assel’s father was notably angry at the way the meeting was going. “Let Assel Geuffroi finish speaking and you can voice out concerns after you have heard him speak.” 

The members of the board stayed silent and their eyes fell onto Duke Assel Geuffroi. Normally, he was a man who wouldn’t let anybody speak up unless they really needed to. He was a man with pride and power, and everybody who knew him either praised or feared him. But it was a different matter when it came to the people in the Sanctum. These were established people who are looking to bring down the High King and end his tyranny. 

“Thank you, your grace.” He bowed his head to his father,one of the few people he would do that action to. 

Assel cleared up his throat and his expression changed. And everybody in the room knew he was serious and that they needed to listen. 

“Her highness, the Princess, was my sister’s pick for the throne. A letter she sent me before she died stated that she wanted her daughter, Princess Cecilia Leronova von Hathem to rise above all and rule Ostulia.” 

“Are you just doing this because of the late High Queen, your grace? To honor her will?” 

Assel Geuffroi shook his head. That wasn’t the only reason he supported Princess Cecilia indefinitely. There were other things . “The Princess hates the High King and she is the one with the most information, only second to Prince Cedrin. But whilst Prince Cedrin is favored by the High King, Princess Cecilia is shunned by the palace staff.” 

“And you tell us to support a Princess who hasn’t earned a shred of respect from those working under her?” Anselene asked. Assel knew it would be hard to convince the people in the Sanctum to support the princess, but they would have to give in sooner or later once they saw her true worth. 

“While it is true that the princess is behind in terms of skills and reputation, that is only because we haven’t seen her move these past few years,” Assel continued. He was determined to make these people believe that Princess Cecilia was worth it. And that the Princess is their only shot at removing the High King. 

“This is not enough to convince me, Duke of Geuffroi.” Anselene crossed her arms and looked at Assel with an unamused expression. Among all of the people involved in the Sanctum, Anselene was the most stubborn one. 

She had strong opinions and if she deems you not fit for something, she will stand by it unless you prove your worth to her. 

At this point, it’ll be hard to convince Anselene to support my niece. Assel thought to himself. He looked around and it seemed like none of the people of the Sanctum was buying his persuasion. Not that he was persuading them anyway. 

“Then, how about we do it like this?” The Grand Duke spoke gently, lacing his fingers together as his eyes scanned all of the people in the room. “The Duchy of Geuffroi will support the Princess indefinitely and you observe for yourself whether you want to be an ally or a foe.” 

The room went silent. 

“The Duchy of Geuffroi is planning on declaring our support to the princess during the Founding Banquet where she’s sure to appear. During that week, why don’t you observe the Princess’ actions. And if you see her fit to inherit the throne, you may come back to the Sanctum, meet her, and do the Oath of Binding. But if she falls short of your expectations, then you can do nothing and remain silent.” 

“Father…” 

“Ah, Anselene…” A smile crept up on the Grand Duke’s face. “You said you teach Politics and Etiquette to young ladies and children, right?” 

“Yes, why must you ask, you grace?” 

“Since our Princess did not have formal heir education, she will need one. Wouldn’t this be a good opportunity for you to gauge whether she is worthy of your support, no?” 

Anselene looked at the Grand Duke with wary eyes and Jourdain, her brother only stayed silent as she mulled over her response. A few seconds passed and Anselene came to an answer. 

“I shall do it. And if the Princess isn’t as outstanding as I want her to be, I will withdraw from teaching her.” 

“Very well.” The Grand Duke said. 

“What about the others?” Assel asked as he looked around the room. His eyes landed on the hooded man wearing a mask. His hand was raised slightly as he sat dignifiedly on his chair. And for a moment, everybody’s eyes landed on him. 

“She will be present at the banquet right?” He asked. His voice was calm like a still sea, void of any activity. Assel Geuffroi nodded his head and said, “Yes. I will make sure she will be present during the banquet.” 

“You will make sure?” 

“None of you know because of the absurd rumours circulating the public, but the High King doesn’t adore his daughter. You will see once you meet her, how much hatred she bears towards her own father.” Assel said as he looked at the window with no scenery outside. 

“Now then, this shall be the end of the meeting. Make sure you inform all of the people under you about our decision. They have the right to know about the king Geuffroi chose.” Assel trailed off. “But, they can also find out during the Banquet.” 

When the meeting was over and everybody left, Assel sat in the empty room as he stared at the red table. Behind him he can hear the clicking of heels and he immediately knew Anselene didn’t leave yet. She might have something to say to him. She always does. 

“Oath of binding…” she started, pulling out a chair opposite from where he was sitting. “It was foolish of you to do the oath without someone knowing.” 

“It was necessary. The princess is someone vital to our plan.” 

“Is she really that incredible?” 

Assel did not answer. He only stared at the red table, his thoughts wandering to something else. 

“The Princess has many scars. We all know what the Imperial palace did to the previous princesses born. She was the only one with an intact mind.” 

“The Imperial palace is extremely harsh on women. I know that.” Anselene clicked her tongue as she said those words. “Is that the reason why you chose the princess?” 

“Hatred and determination,” Assel responded. “Princess Cecilia is someone bright. And she is the ace card we need to win against the High King.” 

“I just don’t understand why you did not choose Prince Cedrin. His position is secured.” 

“My reason is the same as yours, Anselene. Prince Cedrin surely is a ruler in blood, but I am afraid he might turn out like his father. You’ve seen how he acted after becoming High Prince.”

Anselene sighed. There was nothing that she could do to change the mind of Assel Geuffroi. And besides, the Oath of Binding isn’t something that can be easily broken. Anselene doesn’t know what Assel Geuffroi offered when he made the Oath of Binding with the Princess. 

“Believe me Anselene. Princess Cecilia is a wild card. We don’t know what she is capable of. But I am not a Geuffroi if I do not take risks.” 

“Even if it results in the death of all of the members of the Sanctum?” 

Assel stayed quiet. But Anselene already knew what his silence meant. And she knew that the journey to freedom won't be easy. 

2