Chapter 5- Winged beast
845 3 25
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

3 weeks have past since my first bandit hunt. I've been taking contracts for bandits and wolves daily, though about a week in I've had to supplement it with orc and goblin bounties since bandits have been appearing far less frequently. 

One day i come across a cave in the side of a sheer cliff in the middle of the woods, the cliff was probably created during the tremors caused by the forming of the Crescent. I enter the cave and begin to explore it only to find that its basically a long corridor leading to a large cavern with a spring in the middle of it. 

I remember buying a safehouse kit from the Holo-wrist shop and decide to use it here. A holographic display appears on my mask allowing me to place the furniture in the kit as well as setting up the security door. The gunsmith station and reactor go the left of the door while the computer and medical suites go to the right. I decide to buy a small kitchen and bathroom for the spring. I place the kitchen and sofas on the far end of the cavern and start setting up the lighting. 

After i finish setting up the safehouse i begin walking back to the city and hear a loud roar coming from a large red dragon attacking the city. Judging by its size it appears to be as large as a strategic bomber. I run towards the city and make my way to the roof of a guard tower and pull out my JH-20 AA launcher. I point my launcher at it to get a target lock and fire. 

BOOM BOOM BOOM BOOM

Even after getting hit by a salvo of AA rockets the dragon still keeps going though it appears to be wounded with its left rear leg hanging on by a tendon and parts of its ribcage visible. 

The dragon looks towards the direction of the rockets and sees me and decides to charge at me. I decide that i don't have time to reload the launcher so i jump from rooftop to rooftop trying to make some distance. 

Other adventurers and guards open fire with arrows and spells though they have little effect. 

I think now is not the time to be stingy and roll down the sleeve on my right arm revealing the cybernetic arm beneath. I point my arm at the dragon and activate the gatling laser inside. With a rate of fire of about 2100 rpm the gatling rips through the dragons wings tearing them to shreds. 

With its wings now swiss cheese the dragon crashes down the main road smashing through shops and storefronts before it finally stops at town square. I run up to the dragon and pull out my zweihander and stab it through the skull skewering the winged beast. I also discharge 500,000 volts through my arms and into the sword just to make sure its dead. 

A crowd of guards and adventurers arrive and look at me. I pull out my sword and yell out. 

-Its dead! 

-URRRAAAAAAAA!!!!! 

As the adventurers and guards cheer i sneak away back to the inn to rest and restock. 

The next day i walk into the adventurer guild only to be called by the tanned blonde receptionist who's name i learned was Rachel. 

-Ah! Snake come here you been called by the guild master. 

-You mean the boss? 

-Yup! Follow me. 

I follow Rachel to the third floor and enter the the guild masters office with her leaving and closing the door. I see a blonde male elf who appears to be the guild master. 

-Ah, your finally here. Please have a seat, i think you know what this is about. Im guild master Albert .V. Tolkien

-Its about the dragon right? 

-Yes, more specifically its about the rewards. Since you effectively taken down a dragon by your lonesome, you'll be getting some very handsome rewards. 

-Such as? 

-Such as getting your rank increased to B and 750,000 dollars reward. That's not including your cut of the material auctions. 

-I see, though i do have one request. 

-And that is? 

-I'd like 5 square meters of dragon hide, 3 of its scales and one of its fangs. 

-Very well then that can be arranged. 

-Thank you. 

I get up to leave the room when i hear a faint whisper from the guild master. 

-I'll be keeping a close eye on you. 

I head down to the reception desk to get my card updated and receive my payment. I hand my card to Ruby who inserts it into the pedestal where the registration orb sits. 

-Wow, rank B! (Ruby) 

-And it hasn't been a month since he registered. (Rachel) 

-and here i thought i was taking my time. (Snake) 

-Well here you go snake, your Rank B adventurer card. 

-Thanks, see you later. 

As i walk past the bar many adventurers call out to my wanting to buy me drinks. I decline saying i wish take a break. Afterwards i go back to the inn and for a change of pace i decide to sharpen my sword. 

25