Side Chapter 3- Material testing
518 0 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Personal Report. 

Fantasy world material testing. 

The following materials were subjected to a series of tests to determine hardness, brittleness, density, and other unique properties. The following is a series of short remarks about each material tested. 

Dragon scales: an organic material from large lizard based lifeforms. The scales posses incredible durability with a millimeter of scale equivalent to 10 millimeter of armored steel while being only a tenth of the weight. One downside of the scales is that when cut along the grain the scale is substantially weaker, being as strong as equivalent thickness of kevlar. It appears that the older the dragon the more layers the scales grow reducing their weakness and increasing the thickness. 

Dragon claw: both dragon claws and dragon fangs are effectively the same material. The only difference is the the shape, both are a bone like material but are extremely dense. The claws possess a self-sharpening effect similar to depleted uranium. The claws are highly regarded as the best material to make weapons when looking from the perspective of durability and maintenance while maintaining high effectiveness. 

Mithril: a crystal like material but sharing properties with metals like steel. Mithril posseses a high conductivity for mana, mana is an energy so pure it defies the laws of physics by having a 100% conductivity meaning there's no loss of energy. Mana has the downside that there's a limit of how much can be channelled through materials with mithril possessing the highest ratio of capacity to density. Mithril is highly effective when used as energy conductor like wands and enchanted accessories. Though compared to other high end materials its less durable and more brittle. 

Orichalcum: a highly durable material capable of enduring both extreme temperatures and pressures making it very useful as both a weapon or armor its the strongest metal known to the dwarven smiths. The downside is that orichalcum is difficult to process due to its extreme insulating abilities having 99.9% energy insulation. This means that orichalcum is unable to conduct mana. This means orichalcum is both rare and expensive, i've had to snatch my test material from a vault in the Valorite Empire using a spyder drone. 

Adamantium: effectively a mix of armoured steel and titanium while having even more durability. Adamantium is a highly sought after material equaling dragon claws but without the unique abilities, its still weaker than orichalcum. Compared to dragon materials Adamantium is easier to find but almost as hard to process as orichalcum, though it's more mana condusive than it but far less then mithril. The issue is that Adamantium when being forged is very difficult to remove impurities from and it easily binds to other impurities. 

Elven wood: elven wood goes by many names like magiwood, elder branch, or sarcastically shiny stick. In terms of physical attributes the wood is identical to normal wood with slight variations based on which tree it came from. It's true value comes from its mana conductivity, it rivals mithril while being far cheaper and easier to process. The only downside aside from being identical to regular wood is that elven wood is only found in the great forest and the elves control its manufacturing process much like ancient china with silk. Its said that elves train to commune to trees to pick branches for process, though its possible that is simply propaganda to mask its true process. The elves sell wands and staves made of elven wood to buy leverage in the human nations as mages need wands to channel mana for spells. Many merchants sign trade agreements to trade elven wood for reasonable prices in exchange for shutting down their slave division, only merchants that specialise in slaves don't sign such deals. 

Miscellaneous gemstones: there are many gemstones in the crescent bearing the same name and physical attributes. The only difference is that the gemstones are capable of high mana conductivity beating out elven wood, though gemstones lack size so are used in conjunction with elven wood to improve performance. Interesting thing to note is that the color of gemstone determines the magic its best used for. Mixed colors have attributes of both parent colors but to a lesser extent. 

Acquisition: aside from the orichalcum the other materials were acquired by purchase in the Dwarven Meritocracy by buying 5 inch knives of the same design and various jewelry stores. As for the elven wood it was purchased in the Nova Terra capital. 

End of report. 

14