Chapter 16- To Familiar Shores
475 1 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

We finally reach the port town of Portston. Named that thanks to the uncreative merchants and fishermen that live and work here. Portston is the largest of the port towns that dot the coast of the great desert, while there are bigger ports north in the human nations, those are mostly naval bases with large dockyards for servicing fleets of warships. What sets Portston apart is that its the only port owned by the beastmen, the port is run by a board of directors who are all beastmen. This gives Portston an edge over the competition by not having to deal with tariffs and usually getting better trade deals. 

As we walk around the port Cherié looks around with melancholy. It seems she's feeling nostalgic so i hand her some pocket money. 

-here go have some fun. 

-thank you ma-... Sir. 

-I'll call you when i get transport. 

As she runs off to explore the port i head to the docks to negotiate with the ship captains. Apparently there's a pack of demon dolphins terrorising the shipping lanes so most captains are afraid to set sail. Fortunately i managed to convince a large dogmen captain to hire us to protect the ship incase of an attack either by those dolphins or by pirates. 

-Alright kid, im taking a big risk hiring you. 

-Don't worry captain, i assure you we're the best of the best. 

I call Cherié back through her DNI and she came back wearing a pair of ruby earrings. 

-Those earrings contrast well with your blue eyes. 

-thank you... 

We board the ship and one of the crew mates s guides us to our quarters. Its a bit small but it should work for the week long trip. After getting used to ship we set off to the fractured lands. 

A day later we encounter a pirate vessel, the captain asks me how we'll deal with the pirates. 

-don't worry captain we'll handle it, just keep your distance. 

I summon my hellfire dumbfire launcher and fire it at the pirate ship. 

BOOM! 

A direct hit at the waterline. The ship is starting to sink and the pirates begin to abandon ship. I ask the captain what we'll do with them, he replies. 

-Kill them, we can't take prisoners, the cargo hold is too full. 

-Roger. 

I tell Cherié to open fire on the pirates, at least they'll die a quick death rather than drowning. 

A few days later we encounter the pack of demon dolphins. Cherié and i warded them off with about a dozen frag grenades and going dynamite fishing.

After that the rest of the trip when with out a hitch. We eventually reach the fractured lands after that we parted with the captain, he was so impressed he gave us a nice bonus. 

After walking through town i asked Cherié where she wanted to go since this is her homeland. 

-Where do you want to go? 

-If i may suggest then we can go to my hometown. I would like to see my family again. 

She looks.. Upset i wonder. 

-Are you okay? 

-I... They were the ones who sold me! They abandoned me! They left me to the wolves for a few dozen dollars! 

-Calm down.. Its okay I'm here. 

-sobs they wanted to buy new farming tools! We were a family. Sure i had several siblings but we could've managed, father and mother decided to sell me cause the harvests were declining abit! They... They.... sobs

-Alright calm down, we can go ask them and if necessary we can give them some payback. 

-Thank you sir... 

-as long as we don't kill them, i don't want to be branded criminals a few days after we arrive. 

-Don't worry they're still family, i want to make them suffer. 

-Make sure you keep your emotions in check, i have no use for hotheads with a deathwish. 

-Very well then master. 

After that we left the town and head towards Cherié's village. 

After a few days of travelling we arrive at the village, i walk to the house Cherié tells me is hers and knock on the door. 

Knock knock

-hello? 

-yes, hello miss i believe you know my acquaintance. 

Cherié then proceeds to walk up to the old lady. 

-Hello dear mother. 

-Oh! Cherié! I'm so happy to see you again! 

-May i can come in dear mother. 

-oh! Sure, please come in! 

-i'll stay outside, i wouldn't want to disturb the family reunion. (Snake) 

Cherié enters the house while i wait outside. As i stand around and enjoy the scenic rural village i listen in on the conversation inside. It appears all is well until Cherié starts yelling at them about the fact they sold her into slavery for a brand new hoe. They give the usual excuses like needing money or the that their genuinely happy to see her. Cherié swings the table across the room she stands up yelling about her past, how she was raped, how she lost her limbs, and how she lost all hope. She walks up to her family. I cut the feed and switch off the audio link and i can still hear their screams. 

A few minutes later Cherié comes out smiling. I ask about their condition, i told her not to kill. 

-Are they still alive? 

-A bit bruised, but they'll live. 

-Good. 

We proceed to switch on our cloaks and disappear before the village guards arrive. 

==================================

(A.N late dinners means late uploads) 

14