Chapter 17- Civil war
440 4 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

A few days later we enter the local bar to listen to what rumors have been floating around. We sit down and do the usual of Cherié ordering her salad while i crank up my audio receptors. 

-Hey did you hear what happened in the nearby village? 

-You mean what happened to that family? Yeah that's brutal. 

-Yeah apparently all 5 family members got all their limbs broken, and most of their bones were broken. 

-I heard the mother had both her ears ripped off. 

-you know what the scary part is? 

-There's something scarier than that? 

-According to the doctor the village chief called, the person who did this intended to make them suffer. They broke every bone in their body while making sure they would survive. 

-That's brutal, do the guards know who did it? 

-No clue, the mother said it was her daughter who she sold to slavery 3 years ago. But the guards haven't been able to find her. 

-How does a girl do so much damage? 

-That's what i was trying to figure it out. I think it was a monster disguised as her. 

-I don't think a monster could be so precise though. 

-Maybe the daughter has been trained, she could've been bought by a adventurer to be trained. 

-I still don't a girl could do that to her family. 

-Revenge is a dish best served brutal. There could be a chance she's in this bar right now. 

-Hey man don't say stuff like that, its scary just to think about it. 

Oh how little do they know. I look over to Cherié and smile, she has a very good grasp on my training. 

I listen to other conversations in the bar. It appears that the council of beastmen a having disagreement. While the council is deeply divided down party lines its usually not this bad. The provincial governors are already preparing their local armies for fight. No one knows why the council is in such chaos, personally it reminds me of early 21st century US politics but that could be me being bitter about politics. 

We leave the bar after Cherié finishes her food. We head out to the provincial capital to see how the current political struggle is going on and partially because i wanted avoid anyone to find out that we're the ones responsible for Cherié's family. On the way there we come across several carriages under attack by what appears to be bandits. Cherié recognises the crest on the carriage being that of the Red Fox clan, one of the most powerful clans on the council. 

I decide to help out, its always a good idea to have powerful individuals owe you one. Cherié and i open fire with our handguns. 

BANG BANG BANG BANG

BANG BANG BANG BANG 

BANG BANG BANG BANG 

We throw a few concussion grenades to stun the remaining bandits, there nearly 30 of them surrounding the carriage. 

BANG BANG BANG BANG

BANG BANG BANG BANG 

BANG BANG BANG BANG 

We run up to the carriage and see if any of the guards are still standing. I tell Cherié to finish of the remaining bandits, its unlikely they know who hired them. The guards are still alive but very injured so i begin applying first aid. 

BANG BANG 

Sounds like Cherié finished off the rest of them, her marksmanship is improving, perhaps i should let her on the Locust next time we need to snipe. As she returns one of carriages door opens to reveal a crimsoned haired foxwoman wearing a pink kimono. They weren't lying about the foxes having blood red hair. 

She looks at me and smiles and proceeds to speak. 

-Oh my, are you the hero come to save me? 

-No miss im just a mercenary looking for paycheck. 

-Pragmatic, i like that in a man. 

I continue to help patch up the rest of the guards until they can handle them selves. Afterwards the guards tell me to enter the carriage, though they tell me that Cherié will have to wait outside. 

I enter the carriage and sit across the foxwoman. She speaks first. 

-So what is your name? Mr. Mercenary. 

-Snake, just Snake. 

-So then Snake, you seem quite capable would you be willing to work for me. 

-For a price, i know there's a fight brewing so I'm looking for a profit. 

-yes for a price, you see the more conservative members of the council are worried that the more modern policies is weakening the fractured lands. There's already plans for a coup, the provincial armies are already massing for a fight. 

-So how would you like me to do? 

-I would like you to eliminate their leading officers before the battle starts, you seem quite capable in eliminating VIPs. 

-That is true, so where is the battle taking place?

-The venerable plains, the conservatives are deeply traditional and believe that their ancestors will bless them for the coming battle. 

-And you want me to break their spirit. 

-Yes, how you do it is up to you. 

-How about my pay? 

-Yes, about your pay. 

She stares at me as if she's trying to see my soul. I feel a strange familiar sensation in my head. I snap my fingers. 

-Miss, please don't try to brainwash me. The last person to try that got trapped in my head for years. 

I shock her through my DNI. 

-Urgh... 

-See. 

-Fine then, you'll get proper payment then. 

-Very well then, its seems that we have a deal. 

I leave the carriage and ride in one of the other carriages with Cherié. The convoy starts up and heads to the provincial capital. 

14