Side chapter 5- experimental projects
410 2 12
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

3rd personal report. 

The following is a series of brief descriptions of experimental devices i'm currently working on. 

Mana engine: a device capable of converting mana to electricity, while its better to use mana to directly to power my equipment that would require a complete overhaul which would take weeks if not months to complete. In light of that i opted to build what is essentially a converter. 

Status: complete

Mana battery: while mana is best stored in either mithril or gemstones which are both expensive. I've found a workaround. Using a design similar to lithium-ion batteries its capable to create a cost effective way of storing mana using a small amount of elven wood. Another benefit is that the batteries passively absorb mana, meaning any device powered by a mana battery will have no worry about battery life, only what is effectively a cooldown. 

Status: complete

Mana shield: from previous experience with both the mana engine and battery I've learned that mana is capable of blocking physical objects such as arrows and more worrisome, bullets. Fortunately mana is perceived as an invisible energy floating around the world by nearly all of the inhabitants of Enigma so most don't know of the defensive capabilities of mana. Mana when condensed becomes visible, similar to a light blue tint of glass. 

I've designed an arm-mounted device capable of deploying a variable size shield of mana with varying power output as well. The lowest setting lasts 30 seconds and is capable of stopping 5.56 rounds while the highest setting lasts 5 seconds and is capable of stopping an anti-tank missile. The device still has a few bugs, mainly with the power supply and occasional flickering after repeated impacts. 

Status: prototype stage, complete

Mana gun: since mana is an incredibly efficient source of power i wanted to see if it was possible to build a handheld gun capable of firing energy. Basically a laser gun but without the bulky power supply. I used the AK platform for its simplicity, i emptied the magazine and built a mana battery in it. I then removed the entirety of the gas and bolt system and used a modified mana engine meant not to convert mana to electricity but to release it in short bursts, allowing me to tweak the fire rate and have different firing modes. 

So far the design works but there are several glaring issues. First is the overheating issues, after 3 seconds of sustained fire the the receiver housing and barrel are bright red. Second is effective ammo capacity, while the gun technically has unlimited ammo the gun can only fire 20 rounds before needing a 20 seconds to recharge and that's on the lowest setting, equivalent to a 9x19mm round. So until i get my hands on more mithril for the power supply or create a more efficient battery and better cooling i'm stuck. 

Status: in progress, incomplete

Mana grenade: you'd think a energy based grenade would be incredibly effective but no, the mana grenade simply disperses the mana to its surroundings. The grenade would actually help fill anyone with mana within the blast radius. For now the grenade project will be shelved. 

Status: complete, failure

End of report. 

12