Into the Woods (Part 24)
12 0 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Come join the discord! Let's make a worthy community! https://discord.gg/kfZB4G4kdb


 

The trio pushed through the forest until they made it to the mushroom forest.

"Based on the report given to us by X, this is where you encountered the first goblin. My theory is they have a camp somewhere near here." Mike surveyed the area.

The scene looked familiar. Norman and Zack took their time to replay their steps from the other day. Eventually, they found what appears to be small foot tracks.

"If we follow these tracks they may lead us to a fight. If you aren't ready for that I suggest you should go back to camp now." Mike said as he walked towards the tracks.

"Like hell, I'm gonna miss out on this. I'm the strongest one here." Norman said as he carried on.

"I'm just here to keep you guys from getting hurt. I don't fight unless I have to." Zack stated as he brought up the rear.

"I heard you the first time Doc," Mike said. "That oath may just end up getting you killed out here. From our interactions with them in the past, I don't think the goblins care about you doing no harm."

The three tracked in silence for the better part of 30 minutes until they found a pair of rough markers. The markers were constructed from bones and wood. On the very top of the marker was a dried head with a tusk protruding from the mouth.

"If that doesn't scream stay off my lawn I don't know what would," Zack commented.

The other two ignored his comment as they pressed on.

The area before them was overgrown and lush. The array of brush had one clearing that leads to an opening in the ground. Around the hole was a group of slain goblins.

"This blood appears to be fresh," Zack explained as he examined the bodies. "These cuts were made by something really sharp and straight."

"Could it be in fighting?" Norman asked.

"No, the goblins we fought had very crude weapons. The crafters complained about having to refine the metal from their crap weapons to make the new spears the Patrol Team uses. As the good Doc said, these cuts are made from something more refined." Mike looked around the carnage. Next to one of the corpses was a broken arrow. The head was lodged in one of the goblin's necks. As he pulled the arrow out of it he saw that the head of the arrow was made from a finely cut gem.

"That looks expensive," Norman said as he looked down into the hole.

The sounds of fighting could be heard from within the hole.

Thwang!

The reverb of a bowstring was followed by several yelps. The sounds of goblins scurrying around could be heard.

"We need to get down there and see what is happening," Mike said as he prepared to go down the hole.

"I'll go first," Norman said as he practically dove into the hole.

"Man that guy is eager," Mike said as he turned to Zack. "What's his deal?"

Zack simply shrugged and followed him down the hole.

The hole was one of many entrances to a cave system that housed this particular group of goblins. The sounds of combat echoed within. The rough goblin language broke through the sounds of combat every few seconds followed by another yelp.

"The fight sounds like it is dying down. We need to see what's happening before it ends." Mike said as he led them towards the fight.

When the group rounded the corner the scene unfolded before them. Dozens of dead goblins strewn across the ground. In the middle of them were two angelic-looking beings. The standing one was tall, slender, and pale. Some of its features were glazed over with a light blue crystal-looking material. In its hand, a bow with parts of it encased in a similar crystal material that glossed its user's features. On its hip was a quiver with a few arrows left, and an intricate dagger made from the same crystalline material. After watching for a second a faint pulse of light could be seen coming from all of the crystals. The armor being worn by the being was a mixture of leather and crystal. The being on the ground's crystal appeared to be more dem.

"What is that?" Norman whispered to Mike.

"How the hell would I know?" Mike whispered back.

Suddenly, there was a feeling in all of their minds. The scene of what happened before they arrived played in their mind. The being in front of them has been here fighting alone since their partner was struck in the back in the middle of the fighting. They were the last two members of their unit. The other two were slain earlier on. Their task was to investigate the reduction of the numbers in the goblin hoard. When they found out how reduced it was they were tasked with eliminating the rest of them in this cave. Things went wrong, and now they were down to the last two of them. The one on the ground was fading quickly.

The next thing they felt was like a plea for help.

The sound of scurrying could be heard again as more goblins started flooded the room. The crystalline creature in the center of the room knocked another arrow and fired it right as the first goblin entered the room causing some of the others to stumble upon entering the room.

Before the swarm of goblin could reach the being Norman rushed out and slammed one of them with his club killing it immediately. The being didn't respond to Norman's action. Instead, it knocked another arrow and shot at another goblin. When the arrow landed it pierced through one goblin and landed into the one behind it killing both.

Mike turned back to Zack. "I'm going to help them hold off the goblins, you check and see if the injured one will make it." Mike dove into the fray with his staff. He snaked through the group and spun slamming his staff into a group of the goblins.

As Zack got closer to the being on the ground his mana immediately reached out to it. A connection was automatically formed, and feelings and memories flooded into him. This wasn't a one-way process his feelings and memories also flooded into the being on the ground. During this process, Zack's body was led to the crude goblin blade sticking out of the being's back. His hands reached out and more mana poured out to probe the body. It took him a second to understand the structure of the being's body. The crystals were apart of it. Almost as if he was searching through a computer, a mental image came up with the information he needed. He removed the knife from its back and went to work. Crystal began to grow in the wound causing it to seal and reconnect the torn muscle. It would live for now.

The fighting around them seemed to be wrapping up. The standing being was now out of arrows and relied on using its dagger paired with its extensive arm reach. Norman and Mike managed to kill the majority of the goblins that entered the room.

*System Alert*

Exp awarded

360 exp split evenly

Norman let out a slight smile. 'Just like I thought. I can get EXP without being with the rest of the party.'

When the fight was over the being gave a slight bow. A new image entered their mind. Gratefulness.

Its crystal blue eyes looked them both up and down, almost as if it were trying to understand what they were. It sent them another mental image. Unknown, confusion, fear. It could also feel that they had similar feelings. It went and kneeled next to its companion, upon seeing that the crystal had grown over the wound it turned to Zack and reached out a hand.

Zack looked for a second before reaching out his hand. When their hands touched, another flood of mental images and feelings entered his mind. He discovered that what they just did was called an exchange. This race of beings called elves are born with the ability to use mana to transfer ideas as a form of communication. They did not speak a formal language. This was a more true form of communication, no misconstruing, no lies, and no hiding meanings behind thoughts.

"Guys we need to help get this elf back to its people," Zack said after feeling the thoughts of the other two.


Stay Worthy Readers!

2