Chapter 5 – Intermission – Fateful Relations
109 2 2
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
By the time I was finished with our impromptu celebration in Kari's room, it was already late in the evening. I started to cross the fourth floor skybridge from the women's dormitory back to the men's when I stopped for a moment to gaze out to the north. In the distance, I could easily make out the ocean due to the Celes moon illuminating it with its white and green hue. The Rigian moon was only partly visible with its orange-red color, hiding behind Celes in the night sky. It was a beautiful clear night.
 
While I was thinking how wonderful a sight this was, I was interrupted by a loud feminine voice.
 
"Ah! There you are. I was just looking for you, Mister Naslund!" 
 
Startled, I turned my head toward the one who addressed me in such a tone. It was a young woman with fiery red hair and piercing blue eyes which happened to be trained on me. I wondered what had her in such a mood? Perhaps she was always like this.
 
"Hm? Oh, good evening Lady Cooper." 
 
I replied nonchalantly, hoping to dissuade her attitude. I then noticed standing behind her were two others, two males whom I hadn't met before dressed in fine clothing, much like herself. Her entourage, or friends maybe?
 
"You said you were looking for me just now? What can I do for you?" 
 
"Hmph. I wasn't exactly looking for you, but I was hoping to speak with you before the night was over. Do you have a few minutes, Mister Naslund?" 
 
Her narrowed eyes softened after our brief exchange as she stated her reason for reaching out to me. She clearly said she was looking for me, but then denied it. She wants to speak to me, but what about? Is it the classes we were assigned? Maybe Richard getting expelled?
 
"Of course, I can spare some time. I was just on my way back to my dorm room, would you all like to join me there, or...?" I asked as I looked at the two behind her, who were giving rather coarse looks to me. 
 
"That won't be necessary. I was just wondering what your thoughts were on the events of this morning as well as the results. I assume you heard them?" She asked this, while holding up a folded sheet of paper that I concluded to be a copy of the same that I received earlier.
 
"Ah. Even if you ask me my thoughts..." I scratched my cheek awkwardly as I thought. It's a bad habit I have, but at this point I don't think it can be helped. 
 
"Hmph! You must have something to say about being the front-runner for personal Crowns, Mister Naslund. It must feel good to be both the most expensive student and the most wealthy student here, surely!" 
 
She proposed that with a very condescending tone of voice. How should I respond? It's clear she is nobility, she said as much this morning, so she obviously puts a great deal on both social status and wealth. I suppose I am at the forefront of the first years with this? I don't even remember how many Crowns I received but it was over 100. I genuinely do not remember. Would she be upset if I told her I don't care? Yeah, she'd probably be upset. How do I solve this amiably, I wonder...
 
"Well, I've never been one to pay attention to that kind of thing myself, Lady Cooper. I don't intend to make a big deal about it in the first place, but if you ask me my thoughts..." I pause to recollect my thoughts for a brief moment.
 
"I would have to say that it was kind of unexpected. I did not think people would value me so highly. I was just hoping to not get eliminated, like poor Richard."
 
Did I reply with the right amount of humbleness and empathy? I can never tell with these things.
 
"Oh, I see. Surely none of us wanted to be expelled before the first day even began. It is a shame that such a bright individual left this Academy so early." She nodded in agreement while she looked at her two companions for a brief moment before looking back at me.
 
"Well then, Mister Naslund. I thi--" 
 
"Remi."
 
"..Hm?" She seemed irritated and confused at the interruption. 
 
I'm sorry, I just had to clear this up.
 
"As I told you all this morning I am unfamiliar with the culture here and having honorifics thrust upon me makes me feel itchy. So please, call me Remi." I flashed a smile, hoping to hide my irritation as well. 
 
"...Hmph. Then it can't be helped. Alright, Remi, I will address you as such from now on." 
 
I bowed my head slightly.
 
"Thank you, Lady Cooper."
 
I raised my head to look at her again and saw she had a small smile on her face before she noticed me looking and quickly dispersed it. Such a childish action for one who looks so mature, it'd nearly be adorable if she weren't so haughty.
 
"So, Lady Cooper, were my thoughts on the subject at hand the only thing on your mind this evening? And who are these two individuals with you? Friends?" I looked to see the two people behind her still glaring at me as if I had said something rude. Scary.
 
"Hm? Oh these are two classmates who I have met just today. When I told them I was going to go speak to you they decided to escort me. Please, introduce yourselves to Mister Na-- no, to Remi." She held out her hand and stepped out of the way. 
 
The lanky individual with short trimmed red hair stepped forward. He had a hooked nose and tired, brown colored eyes. Holding his arm to his chest, which beheld a white long-sleeved shirt with a black vest, he gave an almost imperceptible bow to me. It barely counted as the most basic of social etiquette. Judging by that and his clothing, I assumed this man is a noble who doesn't think much of me.
 
"Greetings Mister Naslund. I am Aleksander Pyrefel, eldest son of the Pyrefel family of Lakecrest. First year of Solar Class." 
 
Purposefully calling me Mister, huh? I am not so oblivious to miss the meaning in that. Or maybe he's being polite despite what I said just moments ago? I also assumed since he stated his family name, the Pyrefel's are a well known noble house. This reminded me that Lady Cooper stated she was part of a Marquess household in Lakecrest. I guess she was pretty important.
 
The other man stepped forward. He had a body one would simply call muscular, wearing a black and red tailored suit. With fine shoulder length black hair and a the makings of a goatee, the young man looked at me with his brown eyes, exuding a serious aura. 
 
"Rufus Magnar. Youngest son of the Magnar household. I am also a first year of Solar Class. A pleasure." He gave a polite bow before stiffening up again. His demeanor was gentle compared to the previous man. 
 
I seemed to recall having heard the Magnar family controls the Duchy of Easten within the Varien Kingdom on Kalnori. My family and I took a boat from Port Mira which resides within the duchy; it was a marvelous city walled city. I suppose his family lives there. Oh, I noticed they were waiting for me to introduce myself as well.
 
"I am Remi Naslund. First year of Lunar Class. Pleased to meet you, Lord Pyrefel, Lord Magnar." While giving a graceful bow, I replied with as proper manners as I could muster. It wouldn't do to be rude here. 
 
"Hmm? Even for a commoner this one can show modest respect. How diligent. I wonder if he wants to earn your favor, Lady Cooper?" He asked this with a glint of anger in his eyes. No, no, to me it looked like you're the one trying to curry favor Lord Pyrefel. 
 
"Excuse me, Lord Pyrefel, I meant no such thing. I am just a simple farmer from Kalnori trying to be as courteous as I can." I spared no effort to be honest as I am familiar with this game game nobles play. I believed it was called 'Let's see how low they'll bow to me.'
 
I glanced at Lady Cooper who was giving me a wry smile with a glint in her eye. Was she enjoying this, or was she innocent here? I couldn't tell.
 
"'A simple farmer,' you say. I wonder, can you tell me how a simple farmer learns to fight like you did this morning? And you're an Invoker no less. I do believe this one is trying to take us for fools, Rufus." The skeptical Aleksander Pyrefel thought I was the dubious sort. Well, that's okay. I didn't really mind either way. 
 
"I don't know, Aleksander. He doesn't seem the type to tell lies. Perhaps not the whole truth, however." The insightful Rufus Magnar peered at me with those brown eyes. I wondered what he was seeing in me. "Those eyes of his tell me he isn't trustworthy, at any rate." Oh, that's nothing new. I'd heard this before.
 
I was not one to get flustered over being taken light of or looked down upon, but that doesn't mean I had to stay there and let it happen in front of me. I was a proper man who learned from past experiences.
 
"I see. Well, it was nice to meet you both. Good to see you again Lady Cooper. Then, if you'll excuse me." I gave a polite bow and started walking off. I really didn't want to deal with these types of people tonight. 
 
"Wait!" 
 
I guess that was inevitable. Turning around, I saw Lady Cooper catching up to me, leaving the other two behind a few meters. She walked up and looked at me for a moment. Her piercing blue eyes stared into mine. 
 
"What is it, Lady Cooper?" 
 
She just stared at me for a moment more then looked away briefly before speaking again. 
 
"...I wanted to thank you for your help at that time." 
 
Hm? What did I help her with? I couldn't recall anything. Apparently my confusion showed on my face as she looked a little peeved. Oh, maybe...
 
"You mean when I used Restoration Magicka on you earlier?" 
 
I asked because I am unsure what else it could be. However, her eyes close tight briefly before she opened them again with a small smile. Maybe I missed the mark.
 
"...Ah, no. I mean, yes, when you used Restoration Magicka on me after my fight this morning. It made me feel better much faster. It truly is a wonderful ability..." She trailed off, with a sort of regretful tone of voice. I assumed I did miss it, whatever it was. Oh well, I couldn't remember what I may have done to earn her thanks beyond what happened this morning. 
 
"Oh, that is quite alright. No need to thank me, I am happy to help. It's something that I've been able to do since I was little, but I haven't been able to grow its usefulness at all. I can just help wake a tired person up, is all." I gave her a slight smile. "It's the reason I'm here. I want to learn more about Restoration Magicka in much depth, if possible. Maybe someday I can make it powerful enough to truly help those in need."
 
"Oh my how admirable, the commoner humanitarian." Joking with his comrade some several meters away, I overheard such a thing from Lord Pyrefel. Was I in the wrong if I thought I wanted to punch him in the mouth? Yeah I guess I was in the wrong, but I really wanted to do it. Not tonight, though. 
 
"...What an unappealing man." I heard Lady Cooper mutter under her breath, her face contorting into a grimace. I had to give her credit for wanting to speak her mind, albeit not to his face. I guess it wouldn't do to snub nobility amongst the noble. She received a higher praise in my mind from that effort, at any rate. "Anyway, thank you for that time, Remi. In the future I will properly thank you as well." She showed me a smile and bowed her head slightly. 
 
Then.
 
"However, I will not forgive the fact that you were deemed worth more Crowns than me in the event earlier! Hmph. I will show this school who is truly worth more in the upcoming exams and events. Prepare yourself!" She shouted while pointing at me. 
 
Well, that came out of nowhere. What is this woman talking about? Does she actually care about this? I couldn't help but feel this was another game. 
 
Feeling shocked, I could only nod my head in agreement. 
 
"Sure. I will prepare." I was unclear what kind of face I was making right then, but I hoped it wasn't rude. 
 
She gave me a nod as if an agreement was struck. Should we have shook hands?
 
"Now, then, good evening to you Mister Na-- Remi." She turned on her heel and started walking to the women's dorm. It was late, and she was accompanied by those two gentlemen. I hoped rumors wouldn't spread.
 
"Yes, good night Lady Cooper." I replied back to her. She didn't acknowledge it, but I was sure she heard me. 
 
I turned back around and continued on my way to my room to get ready for bed. It would be an interesting first day tomorrow, I was sure.
 

 
"Is it ready?" a female voice asks in the darkened room. The only light is a Magicka Lamp with a thin cloth thrown over it. Within the dim interior of the small room I can see four others in hooded robes as well. 
 
"Not yet. We'll need to make further adjustments to the amendment before we can get the administration to sign off on it. It has only been a day after all. Less than that, actually." 
 
A male voice responded to the female voice, talking about amending some document or other, whatever they were discussing before I showed up. I haven't been paying much attention, as I am unsure why I'm here. 
 
All I did was find a folded robe on my bed in my dorm room with a note stating to come here to the Administration Building after 9 in the evening. The note said to wear the robe before reaching the building and to not get discovered or seen coming to this place. I don't know if that happened, but I tried to make sure no one followed me at least. After putting on the robe, I was able to pass the barrier on the building. I am currently in a moderate sized room on the first floor. I believe it is the Student Council room. 
 
"We'll make sure we get it ready before the end of the week. We need to announce the change as soon as possible. Lady Finnel was insistent we get this one out to take effect before the next month, after all. We know how the administrators are, they always take their time with these things." The female voice from before spoke up again. 
 
Looking around the room I am seeing boxes of documents and various magical devices on the counters and shelves. The main table has 5 seats, each occupied by robed figures, though I am left standing. It's alright, I don't mind I guess. I just wish they'd tell me why I'm here. I started to introduce myself but was abruptly told to stop. I was then told that no one here knows each others identities and it must remain that way. Why? I don't get it.
 
"I wish you the best of luck, Madam President." The male voice makes a note on some paper and bows his head. The business seems to be concluding.
 
"Now, let us welcome our newest member. She is a first year of course and will bring us information amongst her peers in the future. It's a pleasure to meet you, First Year." The President of whatever this is welcomed me. Well, I guess it would be discourteous to not say anything.
 
"I am unsure what I am to do here, or what this is, but thank you for the welcome." I reply in a halfhearted manner. While I'm not really sure what's happening I can't exactly say I want to come here again.
 
"Oh excuse me, we were so wrapped up in our agenda that we didn't even properly explain things to you, First Year. My apologies." The President bowed her head slightly before looking at another robed figure.  "Third Year, if you would please explain."
 
"Of course, Madam President." Another female voice responded. 
 
"We, the Lunar Council, take on the great responsibility of bringing this Academy to higher standards of excellence. What that means is, we are in charge of scheduling all events, and amending all administrative requests for curriculum changes or examination standards. Think of it as the council behind the Student Council." 
 
The Third Year, a gentle female voice, gave an interesting explanation of what this group of people are doing here. I don't exactly get it.
 
"Yes, we take all requests submitted to the Student Council that get approved there, and then go through them with a fine tooth comb to make sure they are meeting our three requirements of excellence. Once they've been approved by us, they properly get submitted to the Administration for policy changes." Another male voice spoke up, different from the last. 
 
"I was getting to that, Second Year." A touch of annoyance in the Third Year's voice. 
 
"Well, don't mind them. That is the general idea. Consider us the the real council that makes proper changes in the school and keeps the learning environment fresh, fun and interesting. This Lunar Council was created 5 years ago in preparation for the administrative changes concocted by Lady Sarina Finnel and her entourage. I do believe the Academy standards have increased dramatically since then, which will make graduates have that much more prestige. My time will be coming to an end after this year and this man here is leaving after tonight." The Madam President gestured with her hand to the man who was speaking with her earlier.
 
"With that, we needed a new member. A new member is chosen by the administration, from among the first years, after being accepted and before the opening ceremony. At the end of their Third Year here, that member is made the President of this council. The previous President sticks around to get the current President adjusted into position and leaves on the night after the opening ceremony."
 
The Madam President then stood up and gave a polite bow to the man from before. I guess he was the previous President. 
 
"Thank you for your hard work this last year. We will continue your efforts and the efforts of those before you." After saying this, Second Year and Third Year also bowed politely to the previous President. I remained standing still. This is just bizarre.
 
"Of course, I wish you all the best of fortune and prosperity in the new year." He addressed the others as such. He then walked up to me and put a hand on my shoulder.
 
"Good luck."
 
That was all he said before walking out the entrance of the dimly lit room. Good luck with what? I don't get it. This just seems like a waste of time to me. Will I have to bother with this? I don't want to.
 
"Now then, First Year." The Madam President spoke to me as if to give a further explanation. "I know you're reluctant to be participating in something like this, but rest assured that there is no one else capable. As such, there will be no substitutes. Being chosen is a great honor, but it also comes with the string attached where you cannot decline the position. To refuse to participate means to remove yourself from the Academy. Permanently." 
 
What is this? I'm being forced to do this? I don't want to participate in something like this... what the hell? 
 
"Now, now, don't make that kind of face." Can she see my face? No, she can't, but she must know exactly how I feel. Everyone here was probably the same way. 
 
"It may take a little getting used to, but meeting with us once or twice a week won't be too much strain on you. I promise you, you'll come to enjoy these sessions. It gives you a sense of power that you may not get anywhere else in the world, but don't let it get to your head. We uphold our three Requirements of Excellence strictly, and you will be held accountable to them while here as well. If you fail to abide by them, you will have sanctions placed upon you that will make life here quite... unpleasant. So do your best, okay?" 
 
Madam President continued to speak to me with such candor but at the same time she was telling me nothing. I can't exactly refuse this due to what she is saying, or can I? If I refuse, I will be removed from the Academy like that Richard guy today. I don't want that. I want to learn so much here, meet interesting people, maybe fall in love. There's so much that I'd like to do that I can't leave without getting started. 
 
In that case, I should just resign myself to this fate. For the entirety of my stay at this Academy I will be subjected to... whatever it is this is. It didn't seem bad, I guess, but this Madam President woman is by all means quite the creepy bitch. Is she drunk on power? Just what kind of power does she hold? I imagine if there are 4 of us we'll be sometimes split down the middle on votes. Is there even voting? What is the point of having 4 members? I don't get what I'm supposed to do. Let's ask.
 
"So, what am I supposed to do exactly?" 
 
I could tell she smiled just by the tone of her voice. 
 
"Good attitude, First Year! A real go-getter like yourself will make life easier for me, and when life is easy for me, life is easier for you." She started speaking to me like I am an employee or something. "Right, okay let me lay down the basics for you."
 
She started explaining the situation. 
 
The situation that this is the Student Council room. We are the Lunar Council that overrides decisions made by the Student Council on behalf of the Administration. This was ordained as critically important by Lady Finnel.
 
The situation that we will be meeting once a week minimum, usually on the night before the rest day(s) of the weekend. Sometimes we'll meet twice. Regardless, we'll be notified by the Administration when we're to do so. 
 
The situation that we must never know the identities of any member of the Lunar Council. These robes we wear are magically imbued to both alter our voices as well as to obscure our faces should someone look at us. There is a reason that it looks like we are wearing hoods even though the robe doesn't have one. Should one of the members of this council be discovered, punishment awaits everyone within the council. We must not be discovered as part of this council, nor that the council even exists. 
 
And finally, the situation is that First, Second and Third Years of the Lunar Council are purely to gather intelligence amongst their associated year and offer input to the President and accept any duties they assign to us. Ultimately, we are to gather information on those who are ranked high in examination scores, or those who do well in events, or perhaps those who stand out in any capacity is of the utmost importance. Information means anything of note or interest. This could mean their life story, their dreams for the future, their ideal companion, their goals for the Academy, their worst subject, their best subject, their worst and best pillar of Magicka they can use, as well as any known spells. All of this and more is important and we must keep a catalog about them. 
 
After explaining this to me, I was given numerous thin, blank books by the Second Year who went to fetch them. 
 
"Take these. You'll need them to write down information. While writing your books, make sure you keep a good hiding place. Since we can only meet once a week, you will only be able to hand them to me for safe keeping at that time. We will be storing this information safely within one of the vaults on campus, though I myself do not even know where, as only the Administration does. If you ever need to alter the information stored, you will need to tell me and we'll submit a request. It's a real pain in the ass, so make sure you submit only very thoroughly filled out books, got it?"
 
Madam President gave me quite the comprehensive explanation of my duties. Information gathering, got it. That's easy enough, I think? I get along with people well enough. People open up to me. What if I don't get information on everyone though? Are there specific people who need to be looked into more than others? In the end, what do we do with this information?
 
I asked Madam President these questions and she replied contemplatively. 
 
"Well as for what we use the information for, it's more or less for two reasons. The first reason is to satisfy our goal to accumulate information for each year as a whole so that we can better customize exams and the students curriculum. If subjects are too difficult to understand for the vast majority, we need to alter things. If events are focused too much on one thing where a majority of students fail it, we need to alter them as well."
 
"So we are to make it so things are never too simple nor too difficult for the majority of students?"
 
"Right. This is so most students are able to have a productive learning environment here." She replied to me thoughtfully. 
 
I can get behind that idea. Everyone came here because they want to learn more about Magicka, about what makes us special in this world. Giving up out of frustration or getting bored and not being challenged could lead to less knowledge being retained.
 
"I see. And the second reason?"
 
"The second reason to use this information is so that we, as well as the Administration and Lady Finnel, can come up with solutions to the outliers; the know-it-all's and geniuses, as well as the delinquents and good-for-nothings. We want to make sure they can all become productive members of society, as well as prominent Magicians. The problem with these outliers is typically that they never get along with others, or think they are too far above or below their peers; or outright, some of them think they have no peers. This kind of behavior can be troublesome."
 
She sighed after explaining this to me. I wonder if she has dealt with many people like this? I know a couple Magicians that are very arrogant, but I also know quite a lot more that are exceptionally humble. A certain remarkable young man I saw today comes to mind. 
 
"This is a problem that needs creative solutions. In this regard, personalized information on these trouble students will come in handy to put them into situations where they are forced to be taken down a peg. On the opposite side of that equation, sometimes we need to encourage them if they are struggling one way or another. Sporadically timed class-wide events, pop quizzes featuring their worst or best subjects, forced participation in demonic beast subjugations within the local labyrinths or mountain, or even dangling wonderful prizes or rewards for Crowns and other such things in front of them to make them focused. We use this information to deal with outliers in such ways."
 
"This is certainly an interesting way to deal with so-called trouble students. I must say, I am impressed and intrigued. I myself sometimes think I am something of an exceptional Magician, but knowing how this Academy operates in the shadows like this makes me want to ride the middle of the pack and not make waves."
 
"Hah! That is what everyone in this council says at first. Let me tell you, First Year, you will be worked much harder than most students. At the end of your four years here lies a fork in the road for your future. Thanks to your time here within the Lunar Council, certain career opportunities will open up according to Lady Finnel. If it turns out you are exceptional, and if you find out you are cut out for such a thing, that path awaits you if you want it. After hearing this myself, I was definitely intrigued and I know Third Year here thought the same. It is... lucrative to say the least." After saying such, she leaned back in her chair and folded her arms. 
 
That is quite the pitch, Madam President. If I were a typical student, from a typical background, maybe I would be enticed by that. However, I am definitely interested in seeing how this organization moves in the shadows. Though I do not think I will be able to make any decisions regarding policy until I am the President myself, I am curious to see how it all happens. It is intriguing, at any rate.
 
"Money, huh? I don't particularly care for such things." I reply, then ask a couple questions. "So, where do I start? What is my next move?"
 
Madam President unfolded her arms and placed her hands down on the table. 
 
"Well, let's start with the next thing on the agenda for tonight: the opening ceremony event that happened today. As a first year, you were able to witness it all and participate. Tell us in detail what happened and about any interesting people that may have shown up. From there, you'll want to make contact with them and start learning about them. Use the next week or two to gather information and fill out your books."
 
That is simple enough. I think that, but I have no real training in this. Sure due to my heritage I am naturally inclined to learn about those around me, but this feels a little different. Well, no matter. It seems kind of fun, regardless. Let's talk about the event.
 
"Okay, then. Let me tell you about a fascinating group of people I met today." 
 

 
Blood dripped from the open wound in my shoulder. 
 
That blood, I could feel it running down my back, warm and wet before cooling in the night air. The Celes moon isn't in view tonight, with only the rust colored Rigian moon offering minimal light. It is a very dark night. 
 
In the distance, maybe 20 meters away, I see a child desperately fighting a horde of demonic beasts. I think to myself that they are far too young to put up much of a resistance. I also ask myself why they are bothering but the obvious answer is they don't want to die. I also don't want to die, so why aren't I fighting? I can't answer my own question. 
 
I look nearby and see a carriage that is toppled over on its side, while corpses litter the road and edge of the forest. Some of them are wearing metal armor with swords and other weapons in their hands. Those were my guards. Some of them are wearing robes and vestments. Those were my family's Magicians. Other corpses lay around the carriage, wearing typical clothing suiting our house. Those were my family's escorts. Still more corpses belong to several of these beasts that have been slain. Those beasts were the ones that killed those guards, Magicians and escorts. 
 
Behind me are the remnants, the survivors who were ushered away before being too scared and exhausted to move anymore. Myself among them, we all just huddled together while watching this young child fight. None of us are capable of helping in these conditions. It has been a long trip to the Varien Kingdom from Estes, and we are simply exhausted from travel. 
 
One child of no more than maybe 9 or 10 years old, the same age as me, is protecting us. They are desperately fighting for survival. My siblings and I can only stare in wonder and hope for a miracle to occur. However, the fight is still in its infancy. The demonic beasts, looking like desperate, crazed boars are still 20 or more in number. Their mana enhanced, malformed bodies charge at that child from all directions, forcing the child to withdraw their plans of attack as they evade another assault. 
 
That child has several wounds along their chest and legs, the tusks of the beasts rending him occasionally. Luckily, with that body enhanced by some spell that is making it shimmer a golden color, the child is avoiding the worst of the attacks on their flesh. This young child is using Magicka so freely, albeit a little clumsily. I only recently started to learn Magicka myself from my tutor, but there is no way I could assist in this situation like that child.
 
The child continues using the knife in their hand to whittle down the demonic sounder of boars, puncturing their vitals as they charge. The pierced beasts saunter off staggeringly, then collapse in a heap among the dozens of other corpses. 
 
Slowly but surely that child is annihilating the once large horde of beasts. 
 
After beating them down to just a few in number after dozens of minutes of fighting, that child, which is exhausted and drenched in sweat and blood, emerged victorious. The golden shimmer of their body vanishes and the child collapses to their knees. After several minutes of staying in that position, my siblings and I along with the last of our caretakers stand up and cautiously begin walking toward the child. As we get closer we see clearly the bloodstains on their clothing, as well as the grime and dirt of a well traveled individual. The child's short cropped hair, grey-white in color within the muddied darkness from the Rigian moon, is also stained with the dark color of blood. 
 
Once we get close enough to see the child in detail, a glowing green and white aura wraps around them. Shortly after the child stands up abruptly and yells out "It's all clear!" toward the forest. Is the child blind? Do they not know we are behind them? How did they fight in such conditions? I am in awe.
 
Ah, two other children emerge from the forest, both with grey-white hair, longer than the one doing the fighting. They look to be wounded as well. Seeing them, we all panic a little but the young child who fought for us walks over to them and begins talking. I cannot hear their words. Shortly after, both their bodies also develop an aura which glows a vibrant green and white, then the aura dissipates. After, the other two children glance our way and point, causing our savior to turn around for the first time. The child has a beautiful face, despite it being coated in blood. The other two are exceptionally beautiful as well, almost hauntingly so. 
 
The child waves at us and declares, "I'm sorry I couldn't save everyone." He said it so resolutely, with a twinge of misery, like it pained him not to be able to save a stranger's life. The two young children grab onto the hem of our savior's clothes and tug, indicating that they need to leave. They turn around and start heading into the forest. 
 
"Wait!" I cry out. "Your name?!" I want to know at least the name of the one who saved my life. No, all of our lives. I don't know if I'll be able to repay this debt if they leave so suddenly, and that fills my heart with remorse.
 
Another of the children stops and turns around, stating, "His name is--".

I wake up to see the sun has crested over the horizon, though it is still early yet. After rubbing my eyes for a moment, I feel a coolness on my forehead. Reaching up, I wipe the accumulated sweat there and rub my hands on my nightwear. It looks like I sweat quite a bit from this dream again.
 
This is a nightmare I have maybe once every couple of weeks. It's a recurring one that just won't stop, ever since that event happened when I was a young child. After forgetting the name that child told me, which was the name of the one who saved me, I always wake up before I hear it. It never really meant anything, as it's just something I wished I could have remembered all these years. As a traumatizing event, it isn't surprising that I had blocked out pieces of information surrounding it. 
 
I get up and walk over to the showering closet of my dorm room. After looking into the mirror mounted above the sink, I see my hair is a mess. I must have been tossing and turning in my sleep; this hair, it gets tangled so easily. I grab a brush nearby and, while thinking about the dream some more, brush my silky shoulder length hair. 
 
Over the last 8 years, pieces of the memory have scattered and I only remember the more important bits, such as the type of beast it was which attacked us and the numerous corpses that I couldn't take my eyes off of before that child showed up. I don't think I even accurately recall what the children who showed up looked like, let alone the name that was said. Thinking back on it, I don't remember the names of any of the guards that died protecting me and my siblings. I don't even remember the name of the caretaker and the few guards who delivered us to the Crown City Vanya. My siblings and I ended up being scarred from the tragedy, but we all made it out alive. 
 
Being the eldest of them all, I had to be their strength. I am sad to say that I wasn't strong enough at that time, and it is one of my many regrets. 
 
After it was all done, upon returning to Estes, I left my home a year later to go on a journey of self-discovery. I visited every village along the way, learned every bit of Magicka I could, and even traveled to the place where that tragedy struck. Over many years, I got stronger. I wasn't alone, as my personal maid came with me. She didn't report me to my family, nor ask why I was leaving. This woman only wanted to accompany me so I wouldn't be alone. How could I refuse? It was a trying journey, there were many times I wanted to return home, but I refused to give into my weaknesses. I swore to myself I would get stronger and find that child again someday, to thank them properly and earnestly. I searched and I searched, but eventually I gave up and focused on my own situation. 
 
At some point, I ended up here, at the Aristes Magical Academy, to further my own goals. I don't remember when it was that I became so unhappy, but it wasn't until today I realized that I was. 
 
Grabbing a hand towel, I wet it in the sink and started wiping my body down. It doesn't make much sense to clean up my body before going out for my morning routine, since it is going to get drenched in sweat again anyway, but I'm particular about these things. It can't be helped. 
 
After looking at the face in the mirror once I am finished, my gray eyes staring back at me, I smile to myself. I realize that, today, I'm happy, because for the first time in a long time I remember the name of that child who saved my life.
 
I hang up the wet towel to dry, then go change my clothes and put on my traveling shoes. Opening the door to head out for a morning run, I smile again as I think to myself,
 
I finally found you, Remi.
 
2