Chapter 1
14 0 1
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Hello and thank you for reading this chapter! I hoped you liked it. [news]

English is not my main language and I correct everything manually, so please feel free to point out if I made some mistakes.

anyway have fun!

[/news]

 

Chapter 1 -  searchlight. 

Henryk grew excited. For the first time in his life he saw buildings and walls this big. Instead of wood these walls were made of stone and were bigger than the biggest house he has seen before. Everything looked new and was clearly made by professionals. Hendryk brushed his hands against the stone and in awe, he could feel the amount of effort that has been made into it's construction. 

He knew that his village walls were nothing compared to those. The wealth difference between them was astonishing to him. 

His blunder at the city gates, while embarrassing, didn't really stop his excitement. He just hoped never seeing those guards again and proceeded to going his own way. 

 

A lot of buildings were evidently taken care of , in fact most buildings looked as good as new. Henryk remembered what his father taught him, If a town wanted to become a city it couldn't look to shady, the surrounding countries would see it as a sign of weakness or poverty, so the last decade the city had to be prepared. And last year it finally was officially announced that it was from now on the City of Hekkan. 

Dirt roads got paved, the walls got higher and more higher quality stone was used in more buildings. Henryk couldn't even name most of the stone that was used as there was no way someone from a village would see those. 

Henryk was astonished by they amount of wealth the city portrayed. His impressed mind decided one thing. 

''It really was the right decision to migrate here''

In truth he could have come here last year already, but there were two reasons Henryk decided against it. 

First, he didn't want to be in the first wave of migrants to arrive here. While he could read, write and had some basic skills,it didn't mean that others hadn't some equally valuable skills. Many people would flock to a new city and competing with 100 others wasn't the best choice of action.

Second, he wasn't so confident of finding work immediately . His father knew people who lived in this city. While not able to give him work, it was better to know reliable people who could be trusted. So his father introduced him to them through letters. He didn't want to be alone in a city where nobody knew him and where he would have to live in some sewers. 

 While he waited he would also be able to save up more money, something he felt one could never get enough from. 

 He again thought about what he had to do. He decided to write it on a piece of paper, so there would be no way he could mess it somewhere or somehow up. 

  • find a place to sleep and dine. 
  • find fathers old workplace and ask for work if possible. 

It was quite difficult for him to navigate the city, as every map from his hometown was quite outdated. However, he remembered one letter of a merchant his father knew. 

After entering the city, go to central Hekkan by following the main street and going right from the fountain. There is a warehouse with an advertisement on the wall. Go there for a good and cheap Inn. 

Henryk took a moment and silently thanked the merchant again. He was one who was the most informed about the various stores the city housed and told about reliable colleges. 

If the merchant wouldn't travel all the time Henryk would ask for work there, but he accepted inside his heart that not everything in live was easy. 

His father worked in the city long before it has been decided that it would been awarded the title of city.

He worked as a scribe for the then mayor. After the death his father met his mother and they decided to live together in the village. 

His father thaught him and his brother to read and write, a skill that not many posses, this should give him better chances.

While his mother taught him about various animals and plants. He knew if necessary for what to look out when dealing with most common animals. 

It took a while to get to his destination, while he got there he couldn't help it, but be filled with a sense of wonder about the amount of people on the streets. 

He looked at the nearby aforementioned wall.

Some walls are given to the citizens so they can advertise their stores or for politcal candidates to advertise themselves. 

 Some government position are elected by the people like for example people representatives.  The Kingdom of Gehenna is divided into multible provinces and provinces are further divided into districts.

They would be elected every 8 years and advise the king about their districts. The king would put sometimes laws up for election and could dissolve the parlament if it couldn't reach an result after certain amouunt of tries. Cities also had more representatives than villages or towns.

Or he thinks how it is.. Henryk doesn't really remembered more then that. 

Wanderer searching for a safe and warming light? For the Inn ''searchlight'' follow this path. 

He followed the instructions. It didn't take long to arrive at the inn. 

In contrast to most buildings he has seen these buildings were made mostly of wood. The windows were holes in the wall, covered by a wooden small wooden doors. 

Henryk came in and was surprised by how easy it was to open the door. It looked sturdy and had quite a few scratches on its surface. 

Henryk could see a lot of different people sitting inside. It looks like this inn also had a bar, where guest and random costumers would be able to buy drinks. 

He could recognize 3 different groups of people sitting inside. 

He could see merchants in wealthy and eloberate clothes as well what he assumed were his bodyguards in armor. 

He saw older man in black outfits who looked like member of the church clerics with their assistant doctors in their typical white outfit. 

 The last group of people where hunters. They wore coats, gloves, pants all made of leather, while a few wore some kind of crow suit. 

All of them looked like they were enjoying themselves and the mood was very good. 

He entered and started talking to the  employee. 

 

Announcement
Sorry for not posting earlier! 

I was very busy with work and I really couldn't write it earlier. The next one will come out Friday, I promise 

1