I’m Still Not up to Par
127 3 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

It’s been three weeks since the target dodged my arrow. Now was the time for the first school-wide retest.

“Team 140:
Rank 9 – Scarlet Gurrin
Rank 70 – Freddy Holiday
Rank 190 – Justice Hottie
Rank 675 – Ziph Rose
Rank 970 – Holden Gregory” The announcer yelled out amongst the crowd of students. This team formation was one of the few mentions of Ziph, it isn’t hard to assume based on her rank but Scarlet played a role in at least this arc. This didn’t lessen my detest towards her character, which isn’t deserved since it is who she is based on that I hate.

“So we are all a team?” Her voice was drawing, it gently caresses your ear as it drifts into the deepest parts of your brain. The seductive tone it contains is like a fine wine addicting from the first sip. The happiness it carries is contagious as a wave of joy will permeate within your skull. Yet it also hid a sadness that you believed only you noticed. Dreaming of being her knight in shining armor you put yourself on the line for her. You desire her attention, need it. This sensation was the passive part of her birth right “Charming Voice”.

I let out a sigh as her power subsided within me, ‘I couldn’t even admit who caused me this pain. Such a coward.’

“The pleasure of being on a team with you, Scarlet, is my pleasure.”
Her hair was obviously her defining feature, pouring down her back with the color and intensity of a bottle of Montoya Cabernet. In contrast, her skin tone was soft and calm like rays of moonlight. Her vermillion eyes were big, pupils shooting from one detail to the next. She walked like she was going down a runway, held high and every step preplanned.

The group did a basic introduction but the entire time I was suppressing the surge of hatred that filled me whenever I saw her face. I wanted to wipe away that perfect smile she trained; she honed.

“Team 140 get to your designated rooms.”

Our five rooms were side by side and Scarlet and I were beside one another. She looked over at me and I instinctually clenched a fist. “Good Luck.” She offered that intoxicating smile shining on her face.

I couldn’t stand it and in impulse acted, “Still pretending to be someone you’re not? Guess with a voice like yours it’s possible to even trick nobles.” My scornful analysis left her entrapped to her isolated space.

By the time she opened her mouth in rebuttal, I was already walking into the open room. The door closed with a shrill and I exhaled a breath unbeknownst was being held in. “Damn it, Aster! This isn’t the time to think about mistakes! Take up the bow and shoot!” I followed my advice and picked up the bow in the corner. The room was a replica of the training room. I couldn't allow myself to be distracted by Scarlet. She couldn't ruin this chance for me as well!

“Is Ziph Rose ready for challenge level 1?” That same robotic voice seemed the school was too cheap in not making another.

“Yes.” At my answer, out from the ground shot a target and instantly the arrow shot out smashing through the target. Seeing the fruits from my three weeks of hard labor, I knew every second of it mattered.

“Base level has been analyzed. Upgrading to moving target.”

This basic level wasn’t a challenge anymore. Arrows left right after one another eradicating targets in quick succession.

I was there, I was finally making my mark. As the final target turned to dust the announcement robot returned, “Moving on to adapting targets. Ziph Rose will be given 90 seconds to hit the target.”

I stood motionless, my hardened gaze locked with the target. I thought back to my first experience with this challenge. I knew time was ticking away but I didn’t dare act unprepared. I activated slow time and released the arrow. I saw the target move the left and immediately released the second. It couldn’t stop it’s momentum and jumped into the air. But a third arrow was already there waiting for it. A bang resonated within the confines of the room as the arrow connected.

This wasn’t enough though, another target appeared right after. It opened by ducking my shot and juking by my second. It had the memory of the last target who lost mobility by jumping. Knowing this the shots were quicker in expectation of the bot messing up by doing too many things too quickly. The timer ticked down to 30 as the bot took a misstep and an arrow soared through its head. The rapid shots had started taking their toll, but I needed to go further.

This mediocrity wasn’t acceptable! “I may stand alone as an extra, but I will not stand to be a lowly servant!”

During my monologue, the timer had started. I shot out on arrow and watched as the target dodged, but a second arrow was already in the air in the position the target was planning. The target not knowing better pushed himself backward as the arrow impacted with the ground in front of it. The arrow exploded and the target couldn’t dodge the shadow that engulfed its immediate surroundings.

From this test forward magic was no longer banned by the school. It was now expected that even below average students could have a grasp of basic spells. Being the only shadow mage in the school, I have the unique privilege of spending endless hours with the grimoire. In tune with training my eye skill and archery I also trained my magic from dawn till night. I even skipped classes as I already knew the material. My professors weren’t too pleased with my choice to do so, but the school wouldn’t act so long as my grades were up.

Three more targets came and went, each one taken out in a different fashion. That was the requirement of this level of the test. The ten adapting targets had to be taken out in different ways as they wouldn’t fall for the same trick twice. From my memory though, only 50 of the 300 archery students actually cleared all 10 targets.

The pain was becoming overwhelming after the ninth target. My head was on fire, and my vision was becoming blurry. I overdrew on my Birth Right, and inherently the more powerful the gift the worse the overdraw effects. Instead of slowing down the world sped up, and the enhanced distance was cut to nothing. My world dizzying world had turned to black. Beyond the blindness, my perception was completely gone as I couldn’t even feel my own fingers.

All that remained was the retched ticking as the seconds went away.

Tick…Tock…Tick…Tock. I knew the target was standing still, likely internally laughing at my inability to fight back.

I don’t know if I notched the arrow or even held the arrow correctly. I let the magic that remained within me take the lead. Normally there would be a sense of comfort as the shadow encased me, a soothing cool temperature as the light couldn’t touch me. None of that existed, I imaged it myself in the darkness trying to recreate the movements without the ability of knowing if anything had gone wrong.

I eased myself, it was the only thing I could do right now. I let go of the pain and focused on the imaginary comfort. Eventually, the arrow left my grasp, but the ticking continued. Then it simply stopped. ‘I guess I lost. I’m still not up to par.’ With that final thought, I fell unconscious.

3