Chapter 12
771 5 21
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   So far, the preparations are going great. The recipe for our products aren’t that difficult to make to begin with, so all the kitchen crew managed to make them in less than three hours. As for the drink, we’re only serving green tea. If the customers ever want black tea or something, they would have to go somewhere else.

   We had Kato Seiichi, a member of the photography club to take the pictures of the end products so that they can be put on the menus. I must admit, he sure knows how to take good photos.

   We didn’t make the price too expensive, and only made sure to get minimum profit out of each of their sales. Just because this is a cultural festival, it doesn’t give us a legitimate excuse to jack up the price.

   Next, the costumes. The one in charge of designing them, Nogumura Aki, got her inspiration from the uniforms worn by students of Taisho Era. They’re a lot like hakamas, except the uniforms the waiters and waitresses wear are bright-colored and checkered. Kazuki and Murata are wearing the male and female version respectively, since they have to wear them on during the real deal anyway.

   ‘Does it fit, Kazuki-kun?’ Murata asks her boyfriend as one of the person who sewed the costumes.

   ‘It fits perfectly, Sayuri.’ he assures her.

   ‘That’s good to hear. How about yours, Yoshinaga-san?’

   Suzu, who’s wearing a blue-and-gray uniform that compliments her silver hair and blue eyes, moves around a bit awkwardly.

   ‘The size is just nice, but I can’t move comfortably in this~.’ she complains.

   It’s no wonder. The skirt of the uniform is a bit on the long side. It reaches all the way past the knees and almost the ankles. I honestly don’t know how did the female students of that era ever managed to walk around while wearing that.

   ‘I’m sorry, but that’s how the designs are.’ Murata tells Suzu a bit apologetically.

   ‘It’s fine, I’ll get used to it~.’

   I look at Takeuchi. ‘Seriously, Takeuchi. Why did you put her in charge of manning the front?’

   ‘What are you talking about, Bandou-kun? She’s a half-blooded beauty who’s wearing a Japanese uniform! Anyone would be turned on by that. Ain’t I right, boys?’

   Most of the male students in this class bellow in agreement.

   ‘Oh, what’s this? Are you trying to keep her to yourself, Bandou-kun?’ Kanae asks me while grinning like a perverted old man.

   ‘Screw you, Bandou! Don’t be selfish!’

   ‘That’s right, that’s right!’

   ‘That’s not what it is.’ I explain calmly. ‘I just don’t have any guarantee that the food will arrive safely to the customers with her serving them.’

   Suzu looks at me, then slowly turns her neck 90 degrees like a mechanical doll.

   ‘You’re wounding me, Takkun. There’s no way I would steal the customers’ food. Even I wouldn’t stoop that low.’ she tells me in a monotone.

   ‘Look at me when you’re talking.’

   ‘It’ll be fine, Bandou-kun. We can just give her food before her shift begins so that she doesn’t have any wise idea.’ Takeuchi tells me.

   ‘Uh, no. You’ll just make her sleepy.’

   ‘I do get drowsy after my stomach is full.’ Suzu confesses.

   Takeuchi suddenly has the look of someone who’s making her brain go full gear.

   ‘No need to worry. Yoshinaga-san is a good girl, so she won’t do something like that, right?’ Murata asks Suzu while putting a hand on her shoulder.

   ‘I guess.’

   Murata beams at me. ‘See? Everything will be fine.’

   ‘Well, she’s your responsibility. I can’t take care of her since I’ll be inside the kitchen.’

   ‘We still have one more problem, though.’ Masato says.

   ‘Which is?’

   ‘What if our waitresses get harassed? I hear that it happens fairly often.’

   I saw Masato sneaking a glance at Takeuchi. It was a single second, but I still caught him glancing at her. What he’s really worried is that someone might hit on her.

   ‘I don’t know the reason you’re so worried, Masato. I mean, he’s here, isn’t he?’ Kazuki says to Masato while pointing at me. ‘As a matter of fact, you should be worried for the potential harassers instead.’

   ‘Hey, would you stop talking like I’m a delinquent who’s out for blood?’ I demand.

   ‘And who was the one that defeated nine high schooler delinquents during our middle school trip last year all by himself?’

   ‘Bah, you can’t even call them delinquents considering how weak they were.’

   ‘They had real weapons like bike chains and wooden swords. And they were built like adults.’

   ‘So what? I can thrash wannabe gangsters like them with my eyes closed.’

   Kazuki looks at Masato. ‘See? Do you really think anyone would be insane enough to flirt with the waitresses with him around?’

   Masato grunts. ‘Point taken. Even so, it’s not like he’ll be guarding the entrance like a bouncer the whole time.’

   ‘We can put up a warning sign.’ Suzu suggests.

   ‘Right. With words like “Warning. A ferocious guard is working inside. Flirt with the waitresses at your own risk.”’ Kato jumps in on the idea.

   ‘It’ll do.’ Kazuki agrees with a nod. ‘Anyone else with any sort of worries?’

   No one has any, so it’s back to work for those in charge of sewing more costumes. The rest of us who have zero work are free to stay inside the classroom or wander around the school until school’s over. It’s five days to the festival and there’s no class until it’s over, hence the free time. I was planning to just laze around since we’ll be cleaning up the warehouse that belongs to Masato’s grandfather after school’s over. That is, until Suzu refuses to leave me alone.

   ‘Takkun, let’s go visit Aiai~!’

   ‘What? What for?’

   ‘Just because. Come on, it’s not like we have anything better to do. Let’s go let’s go~!’

   ‘Alright, alright. I’m going, so stop pulling my sleeves!’

   And so, I have to get out of the classroom so that we can go to Class 1-5 where Nagano is.

   Allow me to brief you on the structure of the classrooms in this school. Each year has six classrooms numbered from 1 to 6. The toilet on each floor is on the left side of the 1st classroom. There are two staircases, the first one between the second and third classroom, the second one on the right side of the sixth classroom. The classrooms of the first year is at the second floor, the second years the third floor, and the third years the fourth floor.

   What we’re doing right now is climbing up the first staircase so that we can get to the third floor. Once we’re there, we go to the second staircase which is right next to 2-6 and head down so that we can go to 1-5 by passing by 1-6.

   ‘Say, Takkun.’ Suzu talks to me while we’re passing by 2-4.

   ‘Yeah?’

   ‘Why are we spending this much time just to get to 1-5 when we can walk straight after getting out of our classroom like normal people do? You used this exact same route the last time too.’

   ‘That’s because there’s someone I absolutely do not want to meet who’s in 1-4.’ I tell her honestly.

   ‘Who?’

   ‘A girl who rejected me so brutally it took me months to recover from the injury. She might not remember me in the slightest, but I don’t want to take the chance.’

   Due to my detour, it took us three minutes to get to 1-5 instead of thirty seconds if we use the normal route. When we finally got to 1-5, we see lots of creepy decorations like tombstones and white lanterns outside the classroom. The two of us reach our head inside the opened door and manage to see Nagano painting a graveyard with her brush.

   ‘She looks busy, maybe we shouldn’t disturb her.’ I whisper to Suzu.

   ‘I guess so.’ she agrees reluctantly.

   But then, her classmates are starting up a ruckus since a girl with mixed blood like Suzu is looking inside. That makes Nagano looks up and sees us.

   ‘Hey, you guys! Why are you here? Is there a consultation that I don’t know of?’ she asks us.

   ‘Not at all. Suzu just wants to visit you.’ I tell her.

   ‘What about you?’

   ‘I was just brought along the ride since I couldn’t care less about you.’

   She rolls her eyes. ‘Of course you don’t. Just wait for a while, Suzu.’

   Nagano got permission from her classmates to take a short break. She then gets out of the classroom.

   ‘Wow, that looks nice on you, Suzu!’ Nagano compliments as she’s looking up and down.

   ‘Ehehe, I know right~!’ Suzu starts to act all smug without realizing that Nagano was glancing at her huge chests that are amplified by the tight uniform with envy.

   ‘So how’s the progress on your preparations?’ Nagano asks me.

   ‘I think we still lack a few uniforms. When they’re done, so’s our prep.’ I reply.

   ‘How nice. Us, on the other hand, are barely keeping up with our schedule. I think we’ll need to stay overnight just to get things done.’

   ‘Oh~, that sounds nice.’ Suzu says with sparkly eyes.

   ‘I don’t know why do you sound so excited. Do you know how scary schools can be at night?’

   ‘That’s the point~! I’ve always wanted to explore the school during nighttime. Say, Takkun. Can we stay overnight too?’

   ‘Of course not. There’s no way I’ll stay at the school any more than I have to. Besides, we’re way ahead of our schedule. We don’t have to go overtime.’

   ‘Boo~, that’s so boring~! Why are we so efficient?’

   ‘Stop throwing tantrums. Now let’s go back. We shouldn’t disturb Nagano any longer.’

   ‘Fine.’ Suzu says reluctantly. ‘See you, Aiai.’

   ‘Yeah, see you.’

   We take the same route back to 1-1. Suzu didn’t bother asking me for a piggyback ride, probably because she knows by now that I’m someone who keeps my word.

   Now, I’ve said that there’s a girl who’s a student in 1-4 that I don’t want to meet under any circumstances. However, I was between a rock and a hard place when we got to the third floor and find the entire student council walking straight towards us. And boy oh boy do the students around them make a huge fuss over it. It’s like they’re seeing their favorite idols up close, which isn’t that far from the truth. You’d be surprised how much these people are worshiped based on their looks and capabilities to get things done. Well, everyone except the sole male.

   First of all, we have Shishodo Minori, the Student Council President who’s a second year. If Iseri-senpai was the Ice Queen of Jindai, Shishido-senpai is the Dictator who rules the school with an iron fist. She won’t tolerate any disobedience from her fellow students, and those who broke the school rules were often punished mercilessly. Contrast to her strictness, she’s kind towards anyone who obey school rules, and actually encourages them to have a fun school life. This kindness combined with her extraordinary beauty makes her the most popular student at Jindai.

   Next, the secretary Takaki Yuka, a first year student. She’s the top student among the first years who always got first rank in all the exams so far. That said, she throne might not be safe now that Suzu is enrolled in this school.

   Itoh Hitomi the second-year treasurer is the daughter of the chairman that owns Itoh Finance Group, Japan’s biggest accounting firm. Itoh-senpai is extremely competent at handling anything related to money. I’ve heard that she’s helping out her father in managing more than three thousand accountants during her spare time.

   Nitta Yuki, the first year who’s in charge of general affairs, is also a part-time idol. She’s a pop sensation with followers amounting to more than 2,000,000 on SNS. Due to her overwhelming popularity, she’s often being sent out to handle things her fellow student council members cannot solve peacefully.

   Lastly, there’s Nishiyama Hisao, who’s currently trailing behind the capable group of girls like a slug. He’s a first year like Suzu and I, and got appointed as the Vice President not long after he joined Jindai. Unlike the others, he’s getting openly glared at and scorned. And with good reasons.

   Nishiyama is a huge wimp who often run away from slight trouble, terrible at both academy and sports, and absolutely incompetent in helping out student’s problems. And yet, the rest of the student council find him absolutely irresistible for some twisted reasons. He got confessed by all of them, and chose Shishido-senpai as his girlfriend. Naturally, they broke up after I made the wish, but that just gave the other girls more hope, and they continued to seduce him every chance they get.

   How do I know all this? Kanae was being so loud when she caught wind of this messy bloodbath I overheard it. That Nishiyama honestly ticks me off. He’s the very embodiment of unpopular harem protagonist who has lots of options even though he broke up with his ex. Like seriously. How did a bloke like that manage to make a single girl fall for him, much less four?

   As I watch, Takaki, Itoh-senpai and Nitta realized that Nishiyama is falling behind and thereby dragging him so that he would move faster while they’re pushing their body against his unnecessary, much to the wrath of the onlookers. Shishido-senpai is trying to act like she doesn’t care, but her eyes are telling a different story.

   I was standing aside so that they could pass through, but Shishido-senpai stops right in front of us and glares at us with her frosty eyes.

   ‘Bandou Takuya and Yoshinaga Suzume from Class 1-1, correct?’ she asks us.

   ‘Um, yes President Shishido.’ I answer her.

   ‘I believe the two of you are part of the Love Consultation Club along with Nagano Ai from 1-5.’

   ‘That’s right.’

   ‘Be warned that your club does not fulfill the requirement of having five members. The only reason it is allowed to exist is the leniency given by the chairwoman herself. If I detect a slight misdemeanour from your part, that club of your is disbanded instantly. Do I make myself clear?’

   ‘Crystal.’

   Shishido-senpai nods in satisfaction being able to get her words across us. Takaki comes over when she saw Suzu.

   ‘Yoshinaga-san, I’ve heard that you’re a prodigy. However, I won’t lose to you on the next exam!’ Takaki declares confidently while pointing her index finger at Suzu.

   Suzu, on the other hand, is staring at Takaki while being blank-faced.

   ‘Um, okay.’

   ‘Can’t you give a better response?’ Takaki demands loudly.

   ‘But I couldn’t care less about exams.’

   Suzu’s nonchalant expression and tone makes Takaki losses it big time. She was about to go on a rage when Shishido-senpai puts her hand on her shoulder.

   ‘That is enough. We should focus on our patrol.’ she tells her underling.

   That snapped Takaki back to reality. She nods her head respectfully. ‘Yes, President.’

   Suzu and I step aside to let them pass. All the while, Takaki was keep on glaring at Suzu, who stares back without so much of an emotion.

   ‘Who were those people?’ Suzu asks me after they’re gone.

   ‘The student council members.’ I answer.

   ‘Ah. The mid-bosses in this school~. The evil whom we must defeat~.’

   ‘Suzu, we don’t have any plans to defeat anyone, alright?’

   ‘What~? But isn’t it a common anime troupe for the main characters to stand against the evil student council so that everyone could live happily ever after?’

   ‘I guess that’s how it usually goes. And from the look of things, it’s not like they’ll leave us alone in peace.’ I recall the look Shishido-senpai gave us.

   ‘You see~?’

   ‘But here’s the thing. I couldn’t care less about that club. Do you?’

   ‘Nope. Not in the slightest.’ she answers without hesitating.

   ‘There you have it. Now come on, let’s go back.’

   On the eve of the festival, Masato, Kazuki, Kato, two other guys called Hoga and Oshima and lastly myself go to the supermarket to get the supply we need after school is over. Once the shopping is done, Masato calls his second eldest brother Masaki who’s the boss of a moving company with his phone. Being the owner of a moving company, Masaki-san owns quite a number of trucks, so he got one to bring us and the stuff we bought to their grandfather’s house.

   ‘Thank you for spending your time on helping us, Masaki-san.’ Kazuki tells Masaki-san while the rest of us are carrying the ingredients to the back of the truck.

   ‘It’s no problem at all. Really. Just make sure that you don’t let the old fox tempt you into doing more favors that you agreed on.’ Masaki-san warns.

   ‘He can try. I’ll just walk away.’ I tell him bluntly.

   Masaki-san laughs. ‘Oh right. You were always the only one who never got wavered by his words for the second time.’

   ‘And I tend to keep it that way.’

   The grandfather, Asai Hajime, lives in an old-style Japanese house. Not only that he has a garden and everything, there’s also the warehouse that Masato mentioned. Ever since his wife had passed away, he bad been living there all by himself and refused to move in with any of his immediate family.

   He grins from ears to ears when he sees two of his grandsons.

   ‘Masaki, Masato, how nice of you to-’

   ‘Right. Let’s do this.’ I interrupt him and tell the guys.

   Hajime-oji (a name I had been using to call him for decades) turns his grin into a frown the moment he sees me. ‘So you’re still alive. A pity.’

   ‘Yeah, and I’m going to outlive you so that I could drink up all your favorite liquors that you had been kept hidden right in front of your grave after you kick it.’

   ‘What? How did you know about my secret stash?’

   ‘Let’s just say that I have my ways.’

   Hajime-oji growls loudly. ‘Just try it, whippersnapper. I’ll come back from the grave and haunt you for the rest of your life.’

   ‘Thanks for the warning, old man. I’ll just hire some Shinto priests and have you exorcised.’

   We keep on trading insults until he’s out of breath and has to go inside his house so that he could rest. That should keep him away until we’re done.

   The inside of the warehouse is one heck of a mess. You can’t even walk properly inside without stepping on something. It’s quite dusty too. It’s a good thing we bought masks so that we don’t have to inhale any of it.

   Even with Masaki-san pitching in and help, it still took us more than an hour to clear everything up inside so that we can get enough space to store the ingredients. Those ingredients that cannot be kept out in the open like bananas and strawberries will be distributed among us who live with their parents in order to borrow their refrigerators’ storage space.

   ‘So let me confirm this one more time.’ Masaki-san says to us while we’re resting for a while outside the warehouse. ‘I’m to come here at three in the morning tomorrow with Masato to get the stuff so that we could transport them to your school.’

   ‘That’s the plan.’ Kazuki confirms. ‘Once again, we apologize for the trouble we cause when we’re not even paying you.’

   ‘It’s no problem. This is all for the sake of my younger brother Masato, after all.’

   While they’re still talking, Hajime-oji comes out of his house.

   ‘Say, I’ve been meaning to ask you since just now, Masato.’ he begins.

   ‘Yeah?’

   ‘Where’s Nao-chan?’

   Kazuki’s face darkens at once. ‘We broke up.’

   ‘Did you now? What a shame. And here I finally thought there’s a girl who’s not disgusted by that hobby of yours.’

   ‘Maybe you could introduce your grandson to one of those friends you got to know at the community center.’ I suggest.

   ‘Nah. Wouldn’t want them to know that my grandson is a future shut-in.’

   The two of us guffaw loudly. Masato glares at us with eyes full of hatred.

   ‘Aren’t the two of you supposed to hate each other?’

   ‘We still are.’ Hajime-oji assures his grandson.‘It’s just that we got something to laugh at for a while.’

   ‘You.’ I say to Masato.

   We laugh for a good while after that. Masato just shook his head in disgust and straight out ignores us. After a while, I said goodbye to the old geezer and have Masaki-san send us back to the front of the supermarket so that we could go our separate ways. It’s going to be a big day tomorrow, so we need to rest up as much as possible.

21