Chapter 25
512 5 14
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   It’s three days away from Christmas. Christmas decorations are seen everywhere on the streets. People are out there shopping to get presents for their family, friends and/or lovers. Pretty much everyone is in party mode, even though it’s not Christmas yet. Well, everyone except me. As per usual, I planned to stay inside my apartment for the whole day.

   Today is a Sunday, and I had been working at Yamamoto Canteen since this morning since I had nothing better to do. I could do this for the whole day, but my boss Uekawa-san gave me a shift until evening. In the end, I had to go home way earlier than I wanted to.

   ‘It’s holiday seasons now. You shouldn’t just work and have some fun instead.’ Uekawa-san told me. ‘Go join some party, hang out with your friends, be more outgoing.’

   ‘Um, sure.’

   What he doesn’t know is I was never invited to one, nor do I want to go. It’s one thing to spend Christmas all by yourself, and it’s another to join a party where you’re the only single guy.

   After I left the restaurant, I decide to wander around instead of heading straight back to my apartment. Usually, the street would have been crawling with couples. Thankfully, that’s no longer the case since my wish is still valid, which is why I could afford to walk around without having the need to feel disgusted about seeing normies flirting with each other.

   I got tempted by the smell of bread and other pastries while passing by a bakery which I didn’t knew existed. I look at the signboard above the entrance, and it writes Bittersweet Loaf. Intrigued with the name, I decide to go in. And you’ll never guess who’s working inside.

   ‘Welcome-urgh.’

   Iseri-senpai and I stare at each other awkwardly for a few seconds. I was the first one to recover, and I decide to turn around and leave. She quickly runs up and grab holds of my shoulder.

   ‘Now now dear customer, please don’t be in a hurry to leave and have a look around first.’ she tells me while still grabbing my shoulders tightly.

   ‘I suddenly remembered that I’m allergic to bread and anything that has flour in it, so I have to leave right now.’

   ‘Don’t you lie! Your class served Japanese sweets during the cultural festival right? And I was told that you’re the one who made them!’

   ‘Well I didn’t have the allergy until five seconds ago.’

   ‘Now you’re just pushing it!’

   ‘Now now, Iseri-kun. You just can’t force a customer to buy our product.’ a middle-aged man who was manning the counter comes out of there and tells Iseri-senpai.

   ‘You heard the man. Now please let me go.’

   Reluctantly, she does as I ask.

   ‘Come on, at least look at the stuff we sell.’ she pleads.

   ‘Of course I will. That’s why I came in.’

   ‘Then why did you try to leave the moment you saw me?’

   ‘My bad, senpai. I did it out of instinct.’

   ‘That’s even worse.’

   ‘It’s fine young man, you don’t have to force yourself.’ the middle-aged man whom I assume is the owner of this bakery, or at least the manager, says to me.

   ‘Don’t worry sir, the reason I came in here was I got attracted by the smell of your products.’

   ‘See, Gouda-san? There’s still people out there who likes the bread you make.’ Iseri-senpai tells the man.

   ‘Oh, I wonder about that.’

   I walked around the bakery once and settled with getting a chocolate cornet.

   ‘I wouldn’t get that if I were you.’ Gouda-san tells me.

   ‘It’s fine, sir. I have very low standards when it comes to chocolate cornets since I love them so much.’

   ‘Well, don’t say I didn’t warn you.’

   I paid for the bread and bit into it. The bread has a nice texture. It could do with some improvement, but it’s still better than some of the breads I ate. The melted chocolate, on the other hand…

   ‘The chocolate’s disappointing, huh?’ he asks me.

   ‘To be honest with you, yes. It’s way too sweet, and there are some lumps.’

   Gouda-san lets out a depressed sigh. ‘I knew it. She’s the only one who could do it right.’

   ‘Who exactly are we talking about?’

   ‘My ex-boss, if that was who she was.’

   ‘You don’t sound sure.’

   He laughs awkwardly. ‘Our relationship was a bit abnormal, after all. This might be a bit long. Are you sure you want to know?’

   I shrug. ‘It’s not like I have anything better to do.’

   He first introduces himself as Gouda Hiroji, the owner of this bakery. I also introduced myself to him. He then starts to explain his situation.

   ‘I used to work as a normal salaryman until I met Miura-san. She was the one who brought me to the wonderful world of baking.’ he recalls.

   According to him, his life as an office worker had been mundane and to be frank, quite bad for one’s health.

   ‘It was unpaid overtime after unpaid overtime. I clearly remember that there was a time when those of us at the bottom couldn’t go home for two weeks straight. Even though we managed to finish the project on time, we still got chewed out by the boss. On another occasion, I had to go drinking with a client of ours who’s well known for being a heavy drinker. I’ve never puked so much in my entire life.’ he shivers as he remembers all the nightmarish times he had in his last job.

   Yup, Japan’s extremely infamous for having lousy work ethics. The ones in office jobs are particularly bad. It’s quite common to hear an office worker literally working themselves to death. In fact, I myself have passed by an office worker who was sitting down on a bench with his eyes closed. When I got closer, I realized that he wasn’t breathing. I couldn’t just leave the poor fellow’s body just lying there, so I called the police and have his body collected and hopefully buried or cremated properly. I can bet you anything you want that his superiors won’t even miss him.

   He saw Miura-san working inside this bakery after he was wandering around the street late at night due to another overtime one year ago. Even though it was close to midnight, the bakery was still open. For some reason he couldn’t even explain even until now, he just stood there and watched her as she walks around the bakery and checking up on the breads she made. Then their eyes met.

   Gouda-san immediately looked away and turned to leave before he was deemed as a creep, but Miura-san came out and called out to him. She asked him whether he’s hungry, which he replied he is. She then invites him inside and gave him some bread to eat.

   ‘Those were the best bread I ever ate.’ he recalls with tears in his eyes. ‘They were nothing fancy, just some custard and curry breads. Even so, they were heaven-sent compared to the cold bento I’ve been eating for years. I even started crying right there and then. All the while, Miura-san just watched over me quietly without mocking me for crying, even though I’m a grown man.’

   After he calmed down, they introduced themselves to each other. She’s Miura Ichiko, he’s Gouda Hiroji. She’s a baker, he’s an office worker. Gouda-san then wanted to pay for the bread he ate, but she’s having none of it. She told him the reason that she opened her bakery until this hour is to feed tired people like him, not to make money off them. Touched, he told her that he wants to learn baking from her, even though he has zero experience in the field. After realizing that he’s serious, Miura-san promised to teach him everything she knows. And so, he quit his job as a corporate slave and dedicated his life to become a baker.

   ‘Ever since I began working here, I had fun every single day. Sure, baking can be quite challenging, but it’s much more fulfilling than doing desk job. At least people appreciate good bread. Well, mine isn’t until that level yet, but customers always came in with a smile whenever they’re here to buy the bread that Miura-san made.’

   As the day goes by, the feeling Gouda-san had for Miura-san turned from respect to admiration. But he never confessed to her.

   ‘I mean, who am I kidding? I’m just a former corporate slave who barely got any savings.’ he mocks himself while laughing bitterly. ‘Someone as wonderful as Miura-san will never lack of wonderful men to choose from.’

   ‘My boss used to be an office worker too. He fell in love with a widow who manages a restaurant her husband left her. He never gave up. In the end, they got married.’ I tell him.

   ‘Well good for him. I’m afraid I don’t have the same courage as he does. Anyway, back to my own story.’

   His expression suddenly turns gloomy.

   ‘But then, she just disappeared one day. She left me a note and asked me to take care of this bakery. That’s it. No explanation, no method on how to contact her, nothing.’

   ‘And you had been doing as she asked ever since then?’ I ask him.

   ‘My feelings for her aside, I know some customers still want to eat the bread she made. I’m nowhere near her level yet, but the least I could do is follow her wish and keep this place going. Unfortunately, the end product is what you have there.’ he points at my half-eaten cornet. ‘As a result, not many customers come here now. We’re barely making any profits. I’m afraid this bakery will be closing down soon.’

   ‘Please don’t say that!’ Iseri-senpai tells him. ‘I’m sure that your skill will improve if you keep on practicing. So please, don’t give up.’

   Gouda-san smiles gratefully at her. He then looks at me.

   ‘I’m really grateful to Iseri-kun here. She came to me one day and told me that she wants to learn baking, without knowing that I’m pretty much a beginner as well. After I explained my situation to her, not only did she not leave and look somewhere else for an apprenticeship, she even offered to take part-time here while getting paid next to nothing.’

   ‘I can’t just let you do this all by yourself after hearing your sad story, can I?’

   I look at Iseri-senpai. ‘Wow. So you’re actually a nice girl, despite how you look.’

   ‘That last part is unnecessary.’

   ‘I’m sorry to rub salt on your wounds any more than I have to, but when did Miura-san disappear?’ I ask Gouda-san.

   ‘Around three to four months ago.’

   So it was around the time when I made the wish. It could be a coincidence. If it’s not, Gouda-san actually has a higher chance of winning the lady’s heart than he think he does. If only I know where she is right now, I might be able to help him. Emphasize on the might, though.

   Gouda-san looks at the time. ‘Well, your shift’s over, Iseri-kun. You can go home now. Thank you for coming to help again today.’

   ‘But I can still work-’

   ‘Now now. You don’t want your boyfriend here to keep waiting for you, right?’

   Iseri-senpai looks at Gouda-san, then at me, then Gouda-san again.

   ‘When you said boyfriend, are you referring to him?’ she asks him while pointing at me.

   ‘Are you saying that the two of you aren’t going out with each other?’

   ‘No, sir. Not at all. We’re just acquaintances, that’s all.’ she denies the claim calmly.

   ‘I didn’t even know that she was working here.’ I add.

   ‘Oh, my bad. Me and my silly mistakes.’

   ‘Wait here while I get changed, and don’t try to run away.’ Iseri-senpai tells me.

   ‘I would never do that.’

   ‘I don’t believe you. Gouda-san, please keep an eye on him.’

   Gouda-san looks at us to and fro while looking confused, as if he doesn’t believe us when we said that we’re not going out.

   It only took Iseri-senpai to change her clothes from her work uniform to something more casual. We said our farewells to Gouda-san and leave the bakery. As we’re going further and further away from it, Iseri-senpai keeps on turning her head to look at it.

   ‘I know you’re worried senpai, but you have to trust him.’ I tell her.

   ‘I do, okay? I just hope he won’t overwork himself.’

   ‘By the way, why do you want to walk with me? Isn’t it bad if someone we know saw us?’

   Honestly, I don’t really care, but she might.

   ‘Speaking of which, don’t’ tell anyone that I’m working part time, okay? Not a soul!’

   ‘Is it that big a deal? Are you afraid that your friends might force you to buy them lunch or something if they found out?’

   ‘It’s nothing like that! It’s just, well, embarrassing.’ she mumbles.

   ‘...’

   ‘Hey, what’s with that disgusted look?’ she demands.

   ‘I honestly can’t fathom what’s so embarrassing about having a part-time job.’

   ‘Have you ever thought about your future, Bandou?’ she changes topic all of a sudden.

   ‘My future as in, what kind of job I’ll be working as?’

   ‘That’s right.’

   ‘Well, I’m thinking of working as a chef in some kind of restaurant, and eventually save up enough money to get a restaurant of my own.’

   ‘How nice.’ she says while looking at me enviously.

   ‘Haven’t you? Isn’t that why you started to work at Bittersweet Loaf?’

   ‘Well, I was thinking that I want to be a baker, but I’m not that sure.’

   ‘Let me guess. You didn’t talk to your parents about this.’

   ‘No.’

   ‘And your friends?’

   ‘No.’

   ‘Senpai, we talked about this. Part of the reason you go out and make friends is for situations like this.’

   ‘But, it feels like I’m using them if I just talk to them about this. And embarrassing.’

   ‘Senpai, your future career is a very serious subject. You need to talk to someone about it if you’re not sure on what to do after you graduate, even if you ended up using them. If you don’t want to talk to your friends, you could try and ask the teachers.’

   ‘The thing is, I don’t really have a good reputation among the teachers. I doubt they’ll take me seriously.’

   I was about to open my mouth when I see a perfect candidate for her consultation right across the street. Shimada-sensei.

   Iseri-senpai sees her too.

   ‘Let’s go ask Shimada-sensei.’ I suggest. ‘She’s not the type to turn away students no matter who it is.’

   ‘Well, I guess we can give her a shot since you claim her to be trustworthy.’

   We cross the road to talk to her. Shimada-senpai looks surprised when she sees Iseri-senpai waling towards her, and she flinches visibly when she saw me.

   ‘Good evening Shimada-sensei.’ I begin by greeting my homeroom teacher. ‘Are you out here on the street all by yourself because you couldn’t find someone to go out with?’

   She rolls her eyes. ‘Good evening, Bandou-kun. I see that you’re as charming as ever.’

   Iseri-senpai inclines her head a bit nervously. Shimada-sensei breaks into a friendly smile and nods her head politely.

   ‘You’re Iseri-san, one of the second year students, correct?’

   ‘Yes.’

   ‘What are you doing here with Bandou-kun, of all people? Did he grab hold of your weakness too?’

   ‘Well, sort of. Please wait, “too”?’

   Shimada-sensei looks at me and shakes her head like she’s disappointed of me.

   ‘Really, Bandou-kun? Are you a professional stalker or something?’ she chides.

   ‘I am nothing of the sort. I was just at the wrong place at the wrong time, just like the last time we met outside the school. More importantly, Iseri-senpai needs to talk to you about something.’

   Shimada-sensei looks at Iseri-senpai.

   ‘Is that true?’ she asks her curiously.

   ‘Y-Yes. I know this might be a bad timing but I, um, I would like to talk to you about my future career.’

   ‘Of course. And don’t worry about taking my time. It’s not like I had anything better to do.’

   ‘Called it.’

   ‘Quiet, you.’

   Iseri-senpai widens her eyes in surprise.

   ‘You mean you’ll really listen to me?’

   ‘Of course. Even though I’ve never taught you before, you’re still a student at Jindai. We need somewhere to sit down, though.’

   ‘Well, looks like my work here is done. I’ll be seeing the two of you.’ I tell them.

   Iseri-senpai grabs both my shoulders before I could take a single step.

   ‘I can’t do this on my own. Can you come with us? Please?’ she whispers to me.

   I let out a sigh. I should have left the bakery the first chance I got.

   ‘Fine, I’ll go.’ I agree reluctantly.

   We go to a fast food place which name starts with an M. After ten minutes of waiting, we finally got ourselves a seat. The consultation begins almost immediately. Iseri-senpai explains her situation and her plans for the future to Shimada-sensei, which the latter listens seriously without interrupting. Only after Iseri-senpai is done, sensei opens her mouth to give her opinion.

   ‘Well, I know this isn’t really helpful, but you should go ahead and try out to become a baker if you feel that you might like it. You’re still young after all-’

   ‘Unlike a certain someone.’

   ‘You still have time to change your mind if you ended up regretting it.’ sensei ends while pointedly ignoring what I just said.

   Iseri-senpai still looks doubtful.

   ‘Do you know what Bandou-kun here wrote on his future career form when he just started high school?’ sensei suddenly asks her while pointing at me.

   ‘Um, he said that he’s going to be a chef.’

   ‘That’s right, but that was his third choice. He wrote that he wants to be the Overlord of the world as his first choice and become an oil tycoon as his second choice.’

   Iseri-senpai blinks and looks at me slowly as if she couldn’t believe what she just heard.

   ‘Yup. I really wrote those.’ I confirm. ‘I mean, one can dream, right?’

   ‘He’s right. It’s nice to have a dream or two.’ sensei tells Iseri-senpai. ‘Well, as long as the dreams are not as ridiculous as his. You’re worried about the uncertainties in your future. I understand that. I really do. But you won’t go anywhere if all you do is worry. Sometimes, you need to take your chance.’

   Iseri-senpai takes some time to process what sensei told her.

   ‘...I’m sorry, but I still need some time to think it over.’ she says.

   ‘Understandable. Please don’t hesitate to talk to me or Bandou-kun if you need further advise.’

   ‘Please don’t get me involved like it’s the most normal thing to do.’ I protest.

   ‘Yes. Thank you very much.’

   After the discussion is over, we went on our separate ways. Iseri-senpai walks with me a little before she goes back to her house.

   ‘You know what, maybe I’ll tell my friends and parents about this dream of mine.’ she tells me. ‘My friends aside, I think it’s time I have a proper talk with my folks.’

   ‘Good for you, senpai. I wish you the best of luck.’

   ‘Well, um, you’ll probably mad at me for saying this but, I hope you’ll reconcile with your parents too.’

   ‘Thank you. That might never happen, but thank you nonetheless.’

14