Chapter 31
410 2 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   It’s March now. The Graduation Day for the third year students is just a few days away. Even so, it doesn’t really have anything to do with us, the first years. There’s still two more years until we graduate, after all.

   Today’s another day for another consultation. Surprisingly, Nitta is here with the rest of us.

   ‘What are you doing here?’ I ask the top idol.

   ‘I’m technically a member here, so I figured that I should show my face every once in a while.’

   ‘Don’t you have work at the student council?’

   ‘Not at all. We didn’t have a lot of work lately since it’s almost the end of school term.’

   ‘And your idol work?’

   ‘I don’t have any today.’

   ‘Oh my. Is the so-called Japan number 1 idol losing her fame?’

   ‘Hey, don’t say something so ominous! And it’s not so-called! I am number 1 on the Japan idol’s popularity chart!’

   ‘Not for long. I heard that you barely won against Manaka Chigusa last week.’

   Manaka Chigusa is an idol just like Nitta. Whereas Nitta goes for the cute and energetic route, Manaka-san is a cool beauty type. Her mature look and voice earned her lots of female fans, while her voluptuous body earned her lots of male ones.

   ‘Well I’ll leave her in the dust this week. Wait, that sounded way too mean. Um, I’ll win her by a lot.’

   All of a sudden, she gets up from her seat and leans over so that she could stare at me in the eyes.

   ‘Um, may I help you?’ I ask her while leaning back.

   ‘Are you her fan too?’ she questions me.

   ‘As a matter of fact, yes I am.’

   She starts to look very upset.

   ‘Is it her boobs? It’s her boobs, isn’t it?’ she demands.

   ‘Kind of. It’s a 30-70.’ I tell her honestly.

   ‘What’s the other 70%?’

   ‘Her idol qualities. Her singing and dancing is quite top tier. I especially like her newest song.’

   ‘You mean The Frozen Lakeside? Well, I like it a lot too.’ she admits grudgingly. ‘Still, 30% for her boobs? Men and your lumps of fat!’

   ‘Those lumps of fat contain our hopes and dreams. Which is one thing you can never give no matter how hard you try.’

   ‘I so can! In five more years!’

   ‘Yeah, I highly doubt it.’

   She grits her teeth. ‘Yoshinaga-san!’

   ‘Hmm?’

   ‘How did you makes yours so big?’

   ‘I didn’t even try. They became big without me having to do anything~.’

   ‘Maybe it’s because your mother is an European.’ Nagano suggests.

   ‘Oh yeah~. Hers are quite big too.’

   Nitta slams her head on the table.

   ‘So it’s all about the genes~~~?’ she cries.

   ‘There there. Boobs are not everything. Having none isn’t the end of the world.’ I console.

   ‘You’re not helping!’

   As I was about to say something more, someone knocks on the door. It must be the client.

   ‘Come in.’ Nagano says.

   The person comes in as told. It’s a male student. I look at his shoes. They’re black, the color that third years wear.

   ‘Please have a seat.’ Nagano tells him.

   The student nods nervously and sits down at one of the available seats. Nagano gets up and makes him tea before sitting down again.

   ‘You’re Hiroi Kotaro-senpai of the third year, correct?’ she asks him.

   ‘T-That’s right.’

   ‘Please be at ease. There’s no need to be so nervous.’

   ‘My bad. I don’t really have any experience in speaking with girls, you see.’

   ‘May I know what kind of love problem you have?’

   ‘Well, I’m in love with Maeno Stasuki from my class.’

   ‘If I’m not mistaken, she’s that famous gyaru senpai, right?’ Nitta asks to clarify.

   ‘T-That’s right.’

   Maybe it’s because Nitta is famous, Hiroi-senpai got nervous again. Or it’s just that he’s trying too hard not to upset someone from the student council.

   ‘Gyaru senpai?’ I ask Nitta.

   ‘Don’t you know? She’s pretty famous in this school. She’s tanned, her hair’s bleached white, her uniforms had been massively modified, and she has tons of accessories on her person. She’s exactly the type of person to give Yuka-chan high blood pressure.’

   ‘And you want us to help you confess to her?’ I ask Hiroi-senpai.

   ‘Oh, no. I’ve already confessed to her.’

   ‘I take it that she shot you down?’

   ‘Yup. And she did it pretty mercilessly too.’

   ‘Are you thinking of confessing to her next?’ Nagano asks him next.

   ‘No. What’s the point anyway? She’s just going to reject me again.’

   ‘Then why are you here to see us?’ Nagano asks while looking puzzled.

   ‘I want to protect her purity!’

   ‘I’m not trying to be rude or anything, but I doubt gyarus have any of those left.’ I tell him.

   ‘Just hear me out first, okay? She’s quite close with a guy called Okamoto Yamato in our class, see. The thing is, the guy’s got quite a nasty reputation for being a player.’

   Sounds a lot like the flashy senpai who used to date Iseri-senpai. In case any of you who’re wondering what happened to him, the male gyaru and majority of the basketball club members, allow me to give you a quick update. After being exposed for the jerks they are, they’ve been receiving countless harassment from their classmates. In addition, they’ve lost their position in their club as regular members. In the end, the harassment got so severe they had to transfer school.

   That said, this school sure has a lot of jerks. You’d think the remaining ones would learn a thing or two after witnessing what happened to those basketball players and learn to be discreet.

   ‘I happened to overhear that Maeno-san telling her friends that she’s planning to confess to him during Graduation Day.’ Hiroi-senpai continues. ‘I also overheard that jerk Okamoto-senpai telling his equally trashy friends that he’s going to bring her to somewhere quiet so that he could have some fun on the same day.’

   ‘That’s a lot of coincidences.’ I couldn’t help but notice.

   ‘I always happen to be at the right place at the right time, okay?’ he says while averting his gaze.

   ‘So, you came here to seek help from us so that Maeno-senpai won’t be harmed by Okamoto-senpai?’ Nagano asks him.

   ‘Exactly. I know she’s not going to believe me if I told her, so I was hoping to stop him right before he commits the act.’

   ‘What makes you so sure that she’s not going to refuse him if he forced himself on her?’ I ask him.

   ‘W-What?’

   ‘You heard me. I’m not calling her a slut or anything, but she’s in love with him, right? That won’t make what he’s planning a rape then. I mean, she’s giving her consent and everything.’

   ‘You don’t understand! She said that she’s going to give her first time to her future husband, not some random jerk!’

   ‘Wow, she’s purer than I thought.’ Nitta comments.

   ‘I really need to ask this, senpai. Why do you know so much about what Maeda-senpai had said?’

   He averts his eyes from me again.

   ‘I told you, I was always at the right place at the right time.’

   ‘Just so you know, stalking isn’t the same as bumping into her by coincidence.’

   ‘I can’t help it, alright? I’ve keep telling myself that I have to give up on her since she would never look at me, but I would still stalk her like a creep!’

   ‘I’m surprised that you weren’t reported and arrested.’

   ‘I’m rather skillful when it comes to stalking, you see.’

   ‘Please don’t look so proud. Then again, if Maeda-senpai is fine with Okamoto-senpai, why not just wish them good luck?’

   ‘What? How could you say something like that after knowing what kind of person Okamoto is?’ Hiroi-senpai asks in horror.

   ‘Look, senpai. I’m a firm believer that one must take responsibility for his or her actions. Surely Maeda-senpai already knows that Okamoto-senpai is a player. Even so, she still chose to confess to him. To put in bluntly, she has no eyes for good men. Even if we somehow stop them from getting together, she would surely choose to fall in love with another irresponsible man in the future. There’s no end to this.’

   He grits his teeth in frustration as he can’t rebut my argument.

   ‘Even so, I think we should stop them.’ Nagano says to me. ‘As long as Maeda-senpai is a student from Jindai, I think we should stop her from going the wrong path.’

   ‘She’s right. As a member of the student council, I can’t just leave her alone.’ Nitta adds.

   ‘Hey, remember what I said about not meddling in other people’s affair?’ I ask Nagano. ‘You’re being dangerously close to doing that.’

   ‘But-’

   ‘Look, all of us here might agree that Okamoto-senpai is not a good fit for Maeda-senpai, but who are we to judge her taste? If she’s happy, no one, not even her parents, have the right to stop her.’

   That made the three of them quiet. As for Suzu, she’s just listening to our discussion without joining in. If someone were to come in and see her just sitting there, she might be mistaken for a life-like porcelain doll.

   Hiroi-senpai lets out a long sigh. ‘I guess you’re right. Maybe I’m just jealous of Okamoto, that’s why I was trying to ruin things for them. I guess it’s time to move on.’

   ‘I’m glad that you could think of it that way, senpai.’

   He gets up from his seat and bows at us. ‘I’m sorry for wasting your time. I’ll be leaving now.’

   ‘There’s no need to apologize. Please come to us again if you have a love problem of your own.’ Nagano tells him.

   Even after Hiroi-senpai has left, both Nitta and Nagano remain depressed.

   ‘I can’t believe that we’re just going to let a girl go down the wrong path.’ Nagano says.

   ‘Who knows, maybe Okamoto-senpai will become a better man after he spent some time with her.’ I tell her.

   ‘I honestly doubt it. I always see Okumoto-senpai walking around with a different girl once every two or three days. I honestly doubt he’ll suddenly change his way.’ Nitta says.

   ‘I know I’m being irresponsible here, but you have to know that we can’t save everyone. Heck, some people doesn’t even want to be saved. Maeda-senpai is one of them. Just stop thinking about it before it stresses you out completely.’

   That day, Nitta and Nagano left the club room on a sour note. As for Suzu and I, it’s just another day for us.

   Fast forward to Graduation Day. All of us are to gather at the function hall of the school so that we could attend the graduation ceremony of the third years. It starts off with Chairwoman Seki giving some speech that I didn’t bother to listen, followed by a speech made by a senpai I’ve never seen before that I equally couldn’t care less about.

   Next is the award ceremony. One by one, the third years comes up to the stage to receive their graduation certificate after their name has been announced. Throughout the whole time, I see and hear other students crying and sobbing like it’s the end of the world.

   I hear the name of Hanamura-senpai being announced. Immediately, some girls start to cheer and clap loudly. Looks like she’s as popular as ever.

   For those of you who have forgotten her, Hanamura Miyabi-senpai was the captain of the girl’s judo club. She’s pretty, cool and a good senpai. She’s also a shotacon who’s dating Saotome Shota, a first year who has a girlish look and petite body. Speaking of him, I see him crying at his seat at the sight of his girlfriend getting up the stage.

   Next, it’s Hiroi-senpai’s turn to get his certificate. It’s kind of sad that literally no one is clapping for him when he gets up the stage. Worse, some of his juniors are gossiping about him.

   ‘Who’s that?’

   ‘Did we ever have someone like that in our school?’

   ‘Beats me. I don’t really care either way.’

   I could tell from Hiroi-senpai’s expression that he can hear all those mean comments. All he did was taking his certificate from Chairwoman Seki gloomily and left the stage.

   A few names later, Okamoto’s name is announced. A flamboyant and arrogant-looking male student comes up the stage. Similar to Hanamura-senpai, he’s getting lots of cheer and applause from the female students. In fact, he’s getting a lot more. However, I also hear quite a lot of comments full of hate and disdain.

   ‘Good riddance, I say.’ I hear a male student sitting near me almost spitting out his words.

   ‘No kidding. All the girls I confessed to rejected me because they were crazily in love with him. Heaven knows why.’

   ‘That said, I’m surprised that he can actually graduate. I’ve heard that both his grades and attendance rates were terrible.’

   ‘His father’s a famous politician. Maybe that’s why.’

   ‘I don’t care how he did it. I just want him to disappear from this school so that more of us has an increased chance of getting a girlfriend.’

   As I’m listening to those whispers, Okamoto looks below the stage and waves at the general public. More cheering and applause as he goes down the stage.

   After the ceremony’s over, the rest of us who has yet to graduate are to go back to the classroom. As I’m going to the washroom first, I see Hirou-senpai charging towards me.

   ‘Hello there, Hiroi-senpai. Congratulations for being able to graduate.’ I tell him.

   ‘That’s not important right now! Come with me, I need you to listen to something!’ he tells me urgently.

   He sounded deadly serious, which is why I followed him to a secluded spot without asking a single question.

   After making sure that no one is around, Hiroi-senpai takes out his phone and plays something that he recorded.

   ‘Hey Yamato. I saw that Maeno chick whispering something to you just now. What did she tell ya?’

   I hear the voice of a male coming out of the phone.

   ‘She says she got something to tell me, so she wants me to wait her behind the gymnasium after an hour.’ another male says.

   ‘She’s probably going to confess to you.’ a third one predicts.

   ‘That’s hella convenient! Didn’t you say that you were going to ask her out for a date and then eat her up?’ the one who spoke second asks.

   ‘Sure did. Hey, you guys wanna join me?’

   ‘Awesome! Can we?’

   ‘Course you can. She probably slept with lots of guys anyway, I’m sure she won’t mind.’

   The three of them then laughs like hyenas. Hiroi-senpai then keeps his phone away, his face purple in rage.

   ‘I take it that when one of them said Yamato, he meant…’

   ‘That’s right. It’s Okamoto. Are you going to help me stop them now?’

   I crack my fists.

   ‘Of course. This totally changes things. When did you record this?’

   ‘Around ten minutes ago.’

   ‘Splendid. We have some time then. For starters, please send me that recording. After that, please delete the file. Make sure that it’s gone completely.’

   ‘What? Why should I do that? It’s an important evidence to have those bastards arrested!’

   ‘I know that. Which is why I’ll be the one to spread it around. Who knows what their parents will do to you if words got out that you’re the one who recorded it.’

   ‘But, what about you?’

   ‘Believe me, this isn’t the first time I got caught up in something like this. Better me than you. Now, the recording please.’

   He sends it to me, and then deleted the original file.

   ‘Now what? Are we going to confront them?’

   ‘Not yet. This voice record won’t be enough to send them down to hell. We need solid evidence that they’re going to assault her.’

   He gulps loudly. ‘I hope you know how to fight. I sure don’t.’

   ‘Please don’t worry. That’s one of the things I’m confident at. Besides, we might not have to fight them at all.’

   I call Nitta to tell her Okamoto’s plan, and I told her to tell everyone at the student council. Well, that wimp Nishiyama doesn’t have to know. It’s not like he can help. Nitta eagerly promises that she’s going to do as I say. Five minutes later, her, Shishido-senpai the student council president, Itoh-senpai and Takaki arrives at the spot we’re at.

   ‘Is what you told Nitta-san true, Bandou-kun?’ Shishido-senpai wastes no time in asking me.

   Instead of answering, I played the recording that Hiroi-senpai sent to my phone. All of them looks very upset after the recording was done playing.

   ‘Those vile men. They’re not going to get away with this!’ Shishido-senpai swears while gritting her teeth.

   ‘Please be patient, senpai. This alone isn’t solid enough proof.’ I tell her.

   ‘I know that. All of us will catch them in the act.’

   After what felt like days, it’s finally time for Maeda-senpai’s confession. We were hiding nearby thirty minutes earlier than the agreed time just in case. The gyaru senpai is already there at the spot while looking very nervous.

   Ten minutes later than the appointed time, Okamoto is finally here. He even brought his two goons that I assume are the owners of the voices we heard in the recording.

   ‘Sorry for being late Maedacchi. I was busy with some stuff.’ Okamoto apologizes to Maeda-senpai halfheartedly.

   ‘That’s okay, Okamoto-kun. Rather, why are your friends here?’

   ‘You want to have fun with me right? Well so do I. I told my friends here, and they want in too. You won’t mind, right?’

   Maeda-senpai looks absolutely dumbfounded.

   ‘Wha-’

   One of Okamoto’s goons takes out a piece of rope from his pocket.

   ‘We can do this the easy way or the hard way.’ he tells her.

   ‘HOLD IT RIGHT THERE SCUMBAGS!’ Shishido-senpai roars like her namesake.

   Her shout surprised the four third years. At her cue, all of us charge towards them, with Hiroi-senpai and I stand in front of Maeda-senpai to protect her.

   ‘Hiroi-kun? What exactly is going on here?’ Maeda-senpai asks Hiroi-senpai.

   ‘Not now, Maeda-san.’ he tells her.

   Meanwhile, Shishido-senpai is confronting the three jerks.

   ‘Don’t take it seriously, prez. This was a joke, you know. A joke.’ Okamoto tries to weasel his way out of this.

   ‘The police will be the one to decide that.’ she tells him sternly.

   Both of Okamoto’s goons grovel on the ground.

   ‘Please don’t get us arrested! We have nothing to do with this!’ the first one says.

   ‘Yeah! Okamoto’s the one who forced us!’ another says while crying.

   ‘Hey, are you bastards selling me out?’

   The cops were eventually called, and the three of them got arrested for attempted rape and attempted assault, possibly kidnapping too. The whole school gets to watch the three of them being escorted out of the school by the police.

   ‘This isn’t over! My dad will hear about this!’ Okamoto shouts as he’s being shoved inside the police car.

   Of course he will. And he at least will go scot-free even though he was about to assault someone.

   To make sure that he’s in deep trouble, I send the voice record to all the major news outlet that I know. I even sent it to some outlets that are based on overseas. Let’s see his daddy covering this mess up.

   ‘Aww man, there goes my potential boyfriend candidate.’

   Even with Okamoto arrested and herself almost being done something horrible, Maeda-senpai still thinks of him as a potential boyfriend. I’m beyond astounded.

   ‘Satsuki, you really need to be more careful. You might not be this lucky next time, you know?’ one of her friends tells her while looking concerned.

   ‘I’ll be fine! More importantly, let’s go-’

   Slap!

   She got slapped. And Hiroi-senpai was the one who did it.

   ‘You’re not fine! You almost got raped! Haven’t you learned anything?’ he asks her loudly.

   Surprisingly, her friends didn’t get angry at him for slapping her. I guess they’re thinking that she needed the wake-up slap. I was expecting Maeda-senpai to start crying, but she just looks at the floor and nods.

   ‘I’m sorry. I promise that I’ll be more careful next time.’ she tells him meekly.

   He nods in satisfaction. ‘I’m sorry for raising my voice at you, but I’m not going to apologize for the slap. To put it bluntly, you needed it.’

   ‘Yeah, I guess.’

   I didn’t stay back to watch the rest of the drama unfolds as the teachers are ushering us to go back to our classrooms. Before I left, I heard Maeda-senpai inviting Hiroi-senpai to go singing with them.

8