Chapter 38
378 0 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   We’ve advertised that the two famous idols Nitta Yuki and Manaka Chigusa will be performing live at the fair. As a result, thousands, and I mean thousands, of people had been lining up way before the fair has begin. I’m starting to think that the place might be too small for such a huge incoming of people. Then again, a vast majority of them might leave the moment the idols are done performing, so we’ll have to see.

   Nitta and Manaka-san walk up to the stage. Thunderous cheers are heard immediately.

   Nitta strikes a cool pose for once while addressing the audiences. ‘Are you ready to have fun?’

   More cheers.

   ‘Are you sure?’ Manaka-san asks next.

   Even more cheers.

   ‘Alright then! Please listen to our new song “The Forbidden Love”!’ they say at the same time.

   Wow. They actually got a new song just to hype up this event. That’s pro idols for you. Anyway, the song (or rather the idols themselves) are so well-received that the audiences demanded encores. The idols obliged by singing two songs together, one that was originally sung by Nitta and another from Manaka-san.

   After they were done, more thunderous cheers follow.

   ‘This fair is made possible by the people of the neighbourhood nearby, not to mention a lot of my school mates.’ Nitta tells the audience. ‘Please enjoy yourself thoroughly in this fair.’

   ‘Who knows? You might find someone destined for you here.’ Manaka-san continues.

   With that, the two idols exit the stage. The two dozens bodyguards they hired get to work immediately by forming a wall between the overly-eager fans and their idols.

   Surprisingly, next to no people left immediately. I guess the two idols are convincing enough. Anyway, it’s time for myself and the rest of the staffs to get to work.

   I said work, but it’s just endless patrolling until something happens. It’s peaceful everywhere so far. People are buying foods and drinks, getting consulted on their love problems, buying love charms, or visiting the shrine next door.

   ‘Oh, there he is!’

   ‘Hey there, Bandou-kun!’

   The two people who spoke are Wakamura-san and Noya-san, Miyagawa-san’s friends. Needless to say, Miyamura-san herself is here as well.

   ‘Good morning. I never expected to see the three of you here.’

   ‘Actually, Umeda-kun told me about this fair. It sounded fun, so I invited these two to come here.’ Miyagawa-san tells me.

   ‘I see.’

   ‘I totally want to try my luck here! Maybe I could find my prince here just like Manaka-san said!’ Noya-san says excitedly.

   ‘Me too me too!’ Wakamura-san agrees. ‘Don’t you think so too, Riko?’

   ‘Um, yup. Totally.’

   I don’t know whether Miyagawa-san is really looking for her ideal boyfriend in this fair. Either way, it has nothing to do with me.

   ‘In any case, please be careful and don’t get easily tempted by sweet words of strangers.’ I tell them.

   ‘Will do!’

   I got a little hungry after walking around for a while, so I start to look for food. It’s way too early for lunch, but I don’t care. I’ll just go for a second lunch if I have to.

   I was eager to try out the Motozawa family seafood curry, but there was such a long line for it I decided to eat something else. As I’m still looking, Nitta appears out of nowhere and starts to walk beside me. She has already changed out of her idol outfit and wearing a casual outfit. Naturally, she’s also in disguise. We walked for five minutes without any of us saying a word. I see a takoyaki stand ahead which isn’t that crowded, so I went there and got us both some takoyaki.

   ‘Is this enough for you to talk to me again?’ I ask Nitta as I hand her the takoyaki.

   ‘Not exactly, but it’ll do for now.’ she says as she starts eating.

   ‘Were you alone until you bumped into me? Where’s Manaka-san?’

   ‘She wants to wait until some people has left before coming in. Unlike me, she’s not really used to go out in disguise, so she’s kind of nervous whenever she’s in incognito mode.’

   ‘You must be really confident in your disguise.’

   ‘Of course. There are so many people around us, but no one is able to recognize me, right?’

   ‘I wonder what would happen if I were to shout out your name loudly.’

   ‘Don’t you dare.’ she threatens me.

   ‘Kidding.’

   ‘You better are if you know what’s good for you.’

   We hang out with each other a bit more before she leaves.

   ‘See you, Bandou-kun. Maybe we can hang out again next time.’ she told me.

   ‘Sure thing.’

   As I’m thinking of where to go next, I remember that Miiko and Amano are supposed to help out at a food stall. I looked for quite a while before finally found them helping out a stall that sells yakisoba.

   ‘How’s the business here?’ I ask them.

   ‘It’s not that good, but we’re still optimistic since it’s not lunchtime yet.’ Miiko answers. ‘If only someone can smile properly…’

   ‘Well, sorry for being a sourpuss.’ Amano says sourly.

   ‘Either way, I can’t thank you girls enough for willing to help me out.’ the man who’s the owner of the stall tells the girls gratefully.

   ‘You’re welcome sir.’ Miiko tells him.

   I was getting hungry anyway, so I bought a yakisoba from them. It tastes pretty good, so I’m sure the customers would come in droves when they’re hungry.

   As I’m almost done eating, I got a text from Suzu. She wrote that she’s hungry and wants some food.

   ‘Aiai and Ri-chan want some yakisoba. Some bread will do for me~.’ she also wrote.

   ‘Two more yakisoba to go, please.’ I tell the stall owner.

   ‘Got it!’

   I head to Gouda-san’s stall next. Surprisingly, half of the bread they got are already gone.

   ‘I take it that business is going well here.’ I say to the baker.

   ‘Yes it is! I was so surprised!’ he says happily. ‘Well, it was mostly the products made by Iseri-kun that sold well, but still! ’

   Iseri-senpai isn’t saying anything, but she sure looks proud.

   ‘Well, I’m here to give you more business.’ I tell them.

   ‘I recommend the raisin bun and the curry bread.’ Iseri-senpai tells me.

   I bought both and some more just in case Suzu is choosy when it comes to bread.

   ‘Thank you for your patronage. Don’t forget to visit our main shop every once in a while.’ Iseri-senpai tells me.

   ‘Will do.’

   A small line was forming consisted of customers who require love consultation/fortune-telling. Currently, a female customer is requesting a fortune-telling from Kanae.

   ‘Food~!’ Suzu says excitedly the moment I put down the plastic bags containing all the food I bought for them.

   ‘This stall is surprisingly popular.’ I note to Nagano.

   ‘I’m quite surprised too. Well, quite a number of people is actually here for some fortune-telling, but still.’ she says.

   ‘I hope, for the customers’ sake, that you’re giving out decent advice.’

   ‘Hey, don’t look down on me! I can give proper advise if I try, okay? Plus, we have Kanae-san here!’

   ‘I see it~. Your destined person will appear when you’re going to a bookstore~.’ she’s telling the customer while staring intently at the crystal ball.

   ‘Um, why a bookstore?’ the customer asks.

   ‘I have no idea~.’

   I couldn’t help but worry. I just hope nobody’s going to ask for refunds if the fortune-telling or the advise turned out to be baloney.

   ‘These breads are delicious~!’ Suzu says out of nowhere.

   While Nagano and I were talking, she actually finished half the breads I bought for her. Just how fast can she eat?

   ‘Glad you like them. Now, I’m hoping to get paid for getting them for you.’ I tell her.

   She hands me some cash. ‘Here you go~. You can keep the change~.’

   Nagano looks at me in shock.

   ‘You’re not going to treat us?’ she asks me.

   ‘Hey, just because this is a charitable event, it doesn’t mean that I have to be charitable to you girls. Now pay up before I take your share away.’

   She pays me while grumbling, but not loud enough to be heard by the customers. Kanae did the same while she’s resting from fortune-telling.

   Around two hours later, the crowd has started to lessen. If I’m lucky, I may bump into Manaka-san.

   I’ve forgotten how bad my luck is since I’ve bumped into my grandparents instead. And no, I’m not talking about my grandparents from my father’s side. Typical.

   ‘Fancy meeting you here, young man.’ my grandfather tells me.

   ‘Yes. Small world, isn’t it?’ I reply while trying to remain calm.

   ‘This place is kind of big. Would you be a dear and show us around?’ my grandmother asks me.

   ‘Of course.’

   And so, I had to act as their guide. They told me they weren’t really hungry, so all we did was just passing by all the stalls without buying anything.

   ‘Say young man. Is it okay if we visit the shrine as well?’ grandfather asks me after walking for a while. ‘Unless you have work to do.’

   ‘No, sir. My main job is just to patrol. So yes, I can guide you to the shrine.’

   There are quite a number of people who are at Koikana. They’re probably here to pray after they went to the fair. Takeda is there to greet them all, although I’m kind of worried if it’s her.

   ‘Going to shrines always calm you down, doesn’t it Utzuki-san?’ grandfather asks grandmother.

   ‘It sure does, Shinpei-san.’ she agrees.

   I look around and found a place where there aren’t any people around. I then turn around to look at them.

   ‘Drop the act and get to the point, please.’ I tell them bluntly. ‘Grandfather, grandmother.’

   The two of them look slightly surprised.

   ‘You knew all along?’ grandfather asks.

   ‘Grandpa Taisho and Grandma Ume had kept me updated on my family tree. Speaking of which, how long did the two of you knew?’

   ‘Even before you were born. Even though we had chased Sumire out of the house, we still kept track of her. And you.’

   ‘If that’s the case, you probably know that she’s in prison.’

   ‘Indeed we do. She’s put behind bars at the Chiba Prison.’

   ‘You didn’t have to tell me the location. It’s not like I would ever visit her.’

   ‘We’re really sorry for what happened to you.’ grandmother apologizes to me.

   ‘Yes. She abused you out of stress caused by the fact that she was no longer part of the Katsuragi household.’ grandfather adds.

   The two of them bow at me apologetically.

   ‘Please raise your head.’ I tell them. ‘What you did to mother was completely justified. What she did to me wasn’t, but it was all her.’

   ‘Still, we could have fought to gain custody of you after she was put to prison.’

   ‘I’m not saying this to be spiteful, but I would rather grow up in simple home while being taken care by a pair of farmers than living in a huge house and having two multimillionaires for my grandparents.’

   ‘If you ever had the heart to forgive us, do come visit us one of these days.’ grandmother tells me.

   ‘I most definitely will.’ I promise. ‘And there’s nothing to forgive you about if you never did anything wrong.’

   ‘Splendid. Perhaps you could bring that young lady from the Miyagawa house along.’ grandfather tells me.

   ‘Oh, her? Um, we barely knew each other, so that’s not going to happen.’

   ‘Really? I noticed that the two of you had a good vibe going. Especially when you were dancing.’

   ‘Our relationship might have been upgraded to friends after we did, but I don’t think it’s going any further than that.’

   There’s no way I’m telling them that I got rejected by her.

   ‘A shame.’

   Grandfather hands me a business card. On it is an address.

   ‘Just go here when you feel like visiting. We’ll always open our doors to you.’ he tells me.

   ‘Thank you.’

   ‘Now that our business here is over, we’ll be taking our leave.’

   ‘Yes. And thank you for being one of the sponsors for this event.’

   ‘No need to thank us. We just felt charitable, that’s all.’

   Well, that went unexpectedly normal. I was expecting them to force me to become their heir now that mother is out of their picture. But nope. They just wanted to apologize to me. Then again, it might be a long term plan to slowly convert me. Man, I’m such a cynical person.

   I went back to the fair and find Miyagawa-san standing at the entrance. She waves at me when she saw me.

   ‘Why are you all by yourself, Miyagawa-san? Did you get separated from your friends?’ I ask her.

   ‘Actually, I was waiting for you.’

   ‘You were? What for?’

   ‘I saw you going to the shrine with the company owners of the Katsuragi Foundation. I got worried, so I told my friends to go ahead without me. That said, I didn’t have the courage to eavesdrop, so I waited here for you instead.’

   ‘I see.’

   ‘I’m sorry if I should have minded my own business.’

   ‘No, it’s fine. To cut a long story short, they’re my grandparents.’ I tell her honestly.

   Her eyes widen in astonishment.

   ‘That’s…quite a news.’

   ‘Well, I’ve know about it for quite a while, so it wasn’t exactly news to me. Sorry for not telling you earlier.’

   She shakes her head. ‘I’m sure you had a good reason to hide the fact. Don’t worry, I won’t tell anyone.’

   ‘Thank you. Now, you should really go back to your friends. They’re probably worried about you.’

   ‘Yes. I’ll call them right now.’

   She takes out her phone from her pocket. She freezes after tapping the screen a few times.

   ‘Let me guess, it’s out of battery?’

   She nods in dismay.

   ‘No worries. I’ll just walk around with you until we find them. It’s not like this place is very huge.’

   ‘Won’t I trouble you?’

   ‘Not at all. This is part of my job too. Now come on, they might still be around.’

   ‘Yes.’

   Along the way, we pass by a cotton candy stand. Miyagawa-san looks at the spinning confection curiously.

   ‘Do you want to try one?’ I ask her.

   She shakes her head. ‘I’m not allowed to eat sweets.’

   I went ahead and bought two.

   ‘You’re supposed to break the rules whenever I’m around.’ I remind her while handing her one of them.

   She giggles while accepting the candy. ‘Oh, that’s right. You’re the tiny devil who encourages me to do things I’m not supposed to.’

   ‘Exactly. Anything you want to try out?’

   She points at a crepe stand. ‘I’ve always wanted to try that.’

   ‘Really? You haven’t even eaten crepes before? Just how strict is your family?’

   ‘I have to go to bed by nine, and I was only allowed to go out with my friends after I became a high schooler. Plus, I have piano lessons, I have to flower arrangement class every Saturday morning, and I have lessons on social skills twice a week.’

   ‘...Wow. Being you must be tough.’

   ‘It’s actually manageable if you’re used to it.’

   ‘I don’t think anyone can handle all this things. Anyway, enough chatting. Let’s go get some crepes.’

   We also got takoyaki, candied apples and some other food you usually find during summer festivals. Miyagawa-san hasn’t tried any of them before, so I got them all for her.

   ‘I’m so going to gain weight after this.’ she mumbles after finishing a taiyaki.

   ‘Ah, who cares? You can just burn the fats away by exercising.’

   ‘You make it sound so easy.’

   ‘And you sound like someone who tried dieting and failed, then blamed the existence of food just because you couldn’t lose weight.’

   She averts her eyes. Bullseye, huh?

   ‘Oh, look. There’s your friends.’ I point towards a direction.

   She turns her neck to see where I’m pointing. ‘You’re right. Guess this is where we part ways.’

   ‘I guess. See you.’

   ‘Yes. Thank you so much for today.’

   ‘Don’t mention it.’

   Not long after I continue with my patrolling, I see Aki-san struggling to carry two large boxes. I immediately rush forward to help.

   ‘Let me help you, Aki-san.’ I tell her while lifting the box on the top.

   ‘But-’

   ‘You looked like you need help, so I helped you.’ I interrupt her. ‘There’s nothing shameful about getting help.’

   ‘Thank you, Bandou-kun.’ she thanks me reluctantly.

   ‘You’re welcome. Now, where do you want these boxes?’

   ‘The stall that sells charms.’

   ‘Got it.’

   The contents of the boxes are, you guessed it, charms. Some are for studies, some are for good health, and most of them are for love. The stall is overseen by two female staffs I’ve never seen before. I assume they’re volunteers from the shopping district. Whoever they are, they should have dressed up as shrine maidens to better sell the charms. Such wasted opportunity. Well, they’re selling fast anyway, so I guess it doesn’t really matter.

   ‘Is there anything else I can help out with?’ I ask Aki-san once the contents have been loaded.

   ‘I don’t think so. I was supposed to relieve Kimi-chan from her shrine-watching duty after I’m done with this.’

   ‘I’ll go with you.’ I offer.

   She puffs up her cheeks.

   ‘Geez, Bandou-kun. Even I won’t get lost this easily, okay?’ she tells me.

   Man, she sure is sharp when it comes to this kind of thing.

   ‘Can we just pretend that I want to slack off from my duty?’

   ‘Oh, fine. Since you’re being this adamant about it.’

   As we’re walking towards the shrine, Aki-san is showing an expression of relief while she looks around. Everywhere we see, we see people enjoying themselves, buying stuff and donating money to the shrine.

   ‘Isn’t it great that this fair is a success?’ I ask her.

   ‘Yes. I couldn’t have done it without you.’

   ‘Me? You’re the one that organized this.’

   She shakes her head. ‘If it were just us, I would have been too stubborn to ask for donations from willing people. You were the one who insisted on it.’

   I shrug. ‘Nagano, Takeda or Suzu would have done the same. Well, maybe not Suzu.’

   ‘No, they definitely wouldn’t. If I were more open-minded, or if they were harsher on me, this would have happened much earlier.’

   ‘I’ve been meaning to ask you this for a while. Why are you trying so hard to rebuild Koikana?’ I ask curiously.

   ‘You see, Koikana used to belong to my grandmother.’ she tells me.

   ‘Seriously? Why is some random guy in charge of it then?’

   ‘He’s not exactly random. He was her assistant when she was still alive. The thing about Shinto shrines is that when the Chief Priest has passed away, the assistant is the one next in line to inherit it.’

   ‘Wait, who did he appoint to be his assistant when he was promoted?’

   ‘No one. Not having assistant is not required, and we can’t exactly force him, so things were left like that.’

   ‘Wow, that must have suck for you.’

   ‘It wouldn’t have bothered me if he is good at his job, but he isn’t.’

   ‘Why was he chosen to be the Assistant Chief Priest anyway?’

   ‘Grandmother never told me, but I believe it has something to do with repaying a favor.’

   ‘Whatever the favor is, it definitely wasn’t worth appointing him to such an important position.’

   ‘Quite. I know I shouldn’t wish ill fortune towards others, but I really hope that he will be certified to be missing so that someone more competent can take over Koikana.’

   ‘Like you?’

   ‘Oh, no. Definitely not me.’ she laughs. ‘I will just run the place to the ground. No, it has to be someone else.’

   She’s saying that, but I could tell from her expression that she actually wants to do it, but didn’t fight for the chance since she knows her own capability.

   I escorted Aki-san to the shrine, then I go back to the fair with Takeda.

   ‘Did something happen while I was gone?’ she asks me eagerly.

   ‘None at all. Everyone was well behaved.’

   ‘Aww. I was hoping to get some action since it was so boring while I was looking after the shrine!’

   ‘Maybe something will happen when you’re there.’

   ‘Maybe.’

   Turns out there wasn’t. The fair was concluded smoothly without having any trouble whatsoever. At the end of it all, Koikana managed to gather more than 500,000 yen worth of donations.

8