Chapter 44
317 1 7
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   The summer holiday has officially begun. It’s not exactly all fun and games since we were given lots of homework. Miiko and I spent the first three days to finish them so that we don’t have to torture ourselves when the holiday’s about to end.

   ‘Do you have any plans for the holidays, onii-chan?’ Miiko asks me as we’re just chilling inside our apartment.

   ‘Aside from the field trip, none. I’ll be inside this room until the holiday’s over and will not come out unless it’s absolutely necessary.’

   My cousin lets out a sigh. ‘An indoor person as always, aren’t we?’

   ‘What about you?’

   ‘Well, the Tennis Club has to continue with its training over the summers. I’ll be going to school for practice as usual.’

   ‘No training camp? No going to a beach or mountain or somewhere?’

   ‘None. Our coach thinks that the school’s tennis courts are good enough.’

   ‘So there won’t be any training camp arc where some of your members acquire new skills and become stronger or strengthen her bonds with her fellow members?’

   ‘This isn’t an anime or manga, onii-chan.’

   ‘That’s exactly the reason I hate real life so much.’

   ‘One more thing. I’m thinking of taking up a part-time job. Is Yamamoto’s Canteen hiring right now?’

   ‘Kind of. We were always busy during the summer, after all. Now that Miyako-san is pregnant, we’ll need help more than ever. Are you short on money or something?’

   ‘Not at all. It’s just that I want to do something to pass the time. This will be a good experience for me too.’

   I take out my phone. ‘Hold on. I’ll call my boss and ask him to make sure.’

   The Yamamoto’s Canteen is indeed in need of new staffs, so Uekawa-san is very happy when he learned that Miiko is interested.

   ‘Please tell her to come by before the shop opens for business tomorrow.’

   ‘Will do.’

   Miiko and I leave our apartment after eating breakfast and head for Yamamoto’s Canteen. On the way, I notice that she’s being kind of nervous.

   ‘Hey, there’s no need for you to be nervous, okay? Uekawa-san is a nice person. He won’t make things difficult for you.’ I tell her.

   ‘Even if you say that, I still can’t help it. This is my first job interview, after all.’

   ‘Take it from me. It’s not nerve-wrecking at all.’

   ‘How was your job interview like, onii-chan?’ she asks me curiously.

   I shrug. ‘It was nothing special. I saw the hiring notice outside the place and go inside the take an interview. The whole process only took eight minutes, and I got hired on the spot.’

   ‘What kind of questions were asked?’

   ‘Oh, you know, questions like do you have any experience in working inside a kitchen, have you ever been on the front, that sort of stuff. Again. Uekawa-san’s not going to make things difficult for you.’

   The rest of the crews were preparing to open shop when we arrived. Uekawa-san invites Miiko to sit down at a table while the two of them face each other. I sit next to Miiko.

   As I told Miiko, the interview begins with Uekawa-san asking her some basic questions.

   ‘Do you have any job experience?’

   ‘Not at all.’

   ‘What about cooking?’

   ‘I’m quite experienced in it…’

   And the interview goes on. Miiko gave Uekawa-san a heads-up that she will not be available to work everyday as she has tennis practice, and that she can only come and help until this holiday is over. Uekawa-san has no problem with it.

   Next, he told her about the salary a typical part-time worker receive. Miiko has no problem with the pay. As she had said, she’s doing this for the experience. Lastly, he asked her about her clothes size as he needs to get the uniforms ready for her before she starts to work.

   ‘...Well then, I guess that’s about it. I’ll place an order for the uniforms after this. They should arrive this evening, so you can start working tomorrow.’

   Miiko gets up and bows at him.

   ‘Thank you for hiring me. I’ll be in your care tomorrow onwards.’ she tells her new boss formally.

   Uekawa-san bows back. ‘Likewise. I’ll see you tomorrow.’

   ‘Looks like we’ll be working in the same restaurant from now on, onii-chan.’ she tells me on our way back to our apartment.

   ‘Are you sure you can handle this? You still have to go to tennis practice, right?’

   ‘No need to worry, onii-chan. I’ll make sure to not overwork myself. Besides, I’m only doing this during the summer holidays, and whenever the place really, really needs me.’

   ‘Just promise me to watch your health. Grandpa will never let me hear the end of it if you ever collapse.’

   And so, Yamamoto’s Canteen has a new waitress. Miiko can be a bit clumsy at times, but for her first few days at work she didn’t make any serious mistakes. The customers are also delighted to see a young girl working here, and some of them waste no time on flirting with her. I had to pay close attention on their conversation just in case some of the customers step out of line. I’m being overly cautious since most of the regulars and a lot of the new customers are decent people, but still. And wouldn’t you know, one of them eventually came by.

   ‘Come on, it’s just for a bit! It’s fine, right?’

   ‘I’m sorry, but this is not that kind of establishment.’

   I could hear them all the way from the kitchen, so I come out and see what’s going on. I see Miiko standing in front of a table with a suit-wearing middle-aged man. He’s kind of scrawny, and his wrinkly suits and pants are a loose fit for him. Both his hair and beard are gray. His face is kind of red. Based on the number of alcohol bottles on the table, he had too much to drink.

   There are three other men much younger than him sitting together with him. I assume they’re his subordinates.

   ‘Sir, I think you’re bothering her.’ one of the younger man tells the drunkard.

   The older man scoffs. ‘Nonsense. She’s just being shy.’

   All the other customers are pretending that all is well and eating their meals quietly. I don’t blame them. It’s best that they stay out of this just in case things got nasty.

   ‘Is everything alright, Miiko?’ I ask Miiko.

   Upon hearing my voice, she immediately comes over and hides behind me.

   ‘Come on, young lady. There’s no need to be afraid.’ the man beckons.

   ‘I’m afraid that you’re indeed scaring her.’ I tell him coldly. ‘Please refrain yourself from harassing our staff.’

   ‘Stay out of this, brat!’ he sneers. ‘Who are you, her boyfriend?’

   ‘Her cousin, actually.’

   ‘Then you should mind your own business! Just because she’s your cousin it doesn’t mean that you should pamper her!’

   ‘You’re absolutely right, sir. However, I’m going to pamper her just this once just to spite you.’

   ‘What? Listen, you-’

   ‘Please leave before we call the police.’

   He gets up from his seat and walks to us. Despite his scrawny figure, he’s taller than me. He leans closer so that his face is only inches away from mine.

   ‘Is this how you treat your customers?’ he demands.

   Man, his breath really stinks, and that’s before considering his stench from all the alcohol. He probably didn’t brush his teeth for days or even weeks.

   ‘We only treat customers in respect if and only if they themselves are being respectful. You, sir, are far from being respectful or even civilized.’ I tell him calmly.

   ‘Hey, I was just asking your cousin to pour me some liquor! Is there anything wrong with that?’

   ‘As she had told you, this is not that kind of establishment. If you need someone to do that for you, please go to the cabaret or something.’

   ‘I can’t help it! I was hungry!’

   ‘Then please pay for your bills and leave immediately. You’re bothering the other customers.’

   ‘Oh, I’ll leave, alright! Don’t expect me to come back again!’

   He turns and tries to leave. I grab his shoulder before he could take a single step.

   ‘You’re supposed to pay for your bills first, sir.’ I repeat.

   ‘I ain’t got no money to pay for your stinking service!’ he shouts.

   He tries to shrug me off, but I slam his head on the table he was sitting in front of. I then turn my neck to look at Miiko.

   ‘Miiko, call the cops. We have a case of dine and dash here.’ I tell her.

   It was then when the young men finally get up from their seats.

   ‘We’ll pay for the drinks and everything, so can you please let this slide?’ one of them asks me.

   I look at Uekawa-san who also came out due to the commotion. He slowly nods. I let go of the man’s shoulder. The young man who spoke to me quickly take out some bills from his wallet and puts it on the table, while the other two help their boss to get up. The man looks at me hatefully.

   ‘You’ll pay for that.’ he growls.

   ‘Was that a threat, sir?’ I ask without batting an eye. ‘I feel threatened. Is it okay if I call the police?’

   ‘Please don’t, we don’t want any trouble!’ the same young man from just now quickly intervenes.

   ‘Thank you for your patronage.’ I say to them in a monotonous tone as they make their exit.

   Miiko lets out a huge sigh of relief after making sure that they have really left.

   ‘I’m sorry for causing trouble, Takuya onii-chan.’ she apologizes to me.

   ‘Why are you the eon that’s apologizing? That jerk’s the one who should apologize for harassing you.’

   ‘He’s right, Ozawa-kun.’ Uekawa-san adds. ‘Although calling him a jerk is a bit too much. Do you want to take a break to calm down?’

   Miiko shakes her head. ‘It’s fine, Uekawa-san. I was scared, but it wasn’t enough to stop me from working.’

   ‘That’s good to hear. Let’s go back inside the kitchen, Bandou-kun.’

   ‘Yes, sir.’

   On the next day, the drunken man came back to Yamamoto’s Canteen all sober. He also looks apologetic.

   ‘Words alone could not begin to describe my guilt, but I’ll say it anyway. I’m really, really sorry for what I did to you this afternoon.’ he says to Miiko while keeps on bowing at her.

   ‘It’s okay, sir. I wasn’t really bothered by it!’

   Miiko, being the nice girl she is, didn’t hold a grudge at all. As for me, I’m standing a few feet away from them with my arms crossed just in case he tries to do something funny.

   The man looks at me next.

   ‘And I’m really sorry for threatening you just now.’ he tells me.

   I shrug. ‘I wasn’t bothered by it at all.’

   Of course, I’m not going to let my guard down just because he apologized. This may all be an act.

   ‘I know it’s pathetic to make excuses, but I wasn’t really myself for this past few months.’ he continues.

   ‘Did something happened, sir?’ Miiko asks.

   He hangs his head. ‘My wife left me.’

   Miiko looks at me.

   ‘Can we at least listen to him?’ she asks me.

   I let out a sigh. I couldn’t care less, but Miiko is too kind-hearted for that. After getting permission from Uekawa-san, we got him a seat so that we could listen to his story.

   ‘My name is Maeno Atsushi.’ the man begins. ‘I work as one of the top managers at Hikari Cooperation Company. Perhaps you’ve heard of it?’

   ‘Not at all. This is the first time I’ve heard of it.’ I tell him bluntly.

   He laughs bitterly. ‘I can’t say that I blame you. The company is not really doing well for these past few years. As a result, I frequently snapped at my wife. One month ago, she finally had enough of my temper and left me.’

   ‘Did she left you a divorce paper?’ I ask.

   ‘Takuya onii-chan!’ Miiko chides.

   ‘What? I’m just asking.’

   ‘Thankfully, she didn’t ask for one.’ Maeno answers. ‘Heaven knows what I would do if she wants to go our separate ways.’

   ‘You’re already doing terrible, though.’ I couldn’t help but notice. ‘You’re thin, your hair is badly combed, and your clothes are a mess.’

   He sighs. ‘I guess I was so spoiled by her that I can’t even manage myself properly once she’s gone.’

   ‘Do you know where she went?’ Miiko asks.

   ‘She went back to her hometown all the way back in Saitama. Her younger sister was kind enough to tell me.’

   ‘If so, maybe you could reconcile with her.’ Miiko suggests next ‘It’s already been a month. I’m sure that she’ll forgive you if you apologize to her sincerely.’

   ‘I doubt that things will be that easy. I have to settle the things with my company, or I might snap at her again.’

   ‘What kind of problems are your company facing, exactly?’ I ask.

   ‘We’re short on funds. If only we have enough capitals, we could take on bigger projects to receive bigger returns. With the situation we’re in right now, we could barely pay our staffs.’

   I immediately thought of suggesting him to ask for the help of loan companies, but I dismiss the idea immediately. Going to them isn’t even a last resort, it’s straight up suicidal. I’ve watched enough news to know that there’s no way you could ever pay back what you owe them due to the ridiculous interest they charge.

   ‘Why don’t you try to look for people who might be interested in becoming your shareholders?’ I suggest instead.

   ‘Believe me, I’ve tried. It’s just that not a lot of people are into the shares of a company that deals in cements and other ingredients used in constructions.’

   ‘I might be able to help.’ I tell him.

   His face brightens up at once.

   ‘Really? Do you know someone from a construction company?’

   ‘You can say that. But I need to confirm first. Please wait for a while.’

   As to not disturb the other customers, I head outside before taking out my phone and calling Umeda.

   ‘Hey Bandou, you got any business with me?’ he asks me after he picked up the call.

   ‘Well, the thing is…’

   I explain to him about Maeno’s situation.

   ‘...And that’s the entire story. Do you think Shinohara’s family can help him out?’ I ask Umeda once I’m done.

   ‘I’m not sure. Maybe you could ask her directly so that she could have a talk with her family. Hold on, I’ll send you her phone number.’

   ‘Isn’t it faster if you help me ask her?’

   A pause.

   ‘Now’s not really a good time to talk to her.’

   ‘What did you do this time?’

   ‘Her birthday was three days ago, and I’ve forgotten all about it.’

   ‘You are so dead.’

   ‘I know. Of all the things to forget…’

   ‘Did you at least apologized to her?’

   ‘I tried to go to her house the next day, but her maids told me that she refuses to let me come inside. She’s not picking up my calls or replying my messages either.’

   ‘On the bright side, she might have some feelings for you if she’s actually mad.’ I tell him.

   ‘...Really?’

   ‘I mean, you wouldn’t bat an eye if a random stranger forgotten your birthday, right? Then again, this is just optimistic thinking.’

   ‘What should I do, Bandou? If this keeps up, she might hates me for real!’

   This is just great. I called him in the hope of getting help, but I’m the one who has to help him instead.

   ‘Just message her that someone needs her family’s help. Bring up my name. Whatever. Just try to fix your mistake. Most importantly, get my message across.’

   ‘Okay. I’ll try. I hope she’s at least in the mood to read the message I sent her.’

   ‘Either way, send me a message if she ever replied you. I’m working for the whole day, so it’s possible that I can’t pick up your call when I’m busy.’

   ‘Got it.’

   After I hang up, I go inside the tell Maeno about the conversations I had with Umeda, minus his personal ramblings and struggle.

   ‘I’ve sort of contacted the person. Unfortunately, their reply will take a while. In the meantime, please head back and wait.’ I tell the middle-aged manager.

   ‘...I understand.’

   He left me his business card and leaves Yamamoto’s Canteen. A few hours later, Umeda sent me a text while I was taking a break. He tells me that Shinohara has read his message and talked to her parents about Maeno’s predicament.

   ‘The manager you talked about is in luck. The Shinohara Construction was just about to look for another supplier company since their previous one are losing credibility.’ he writes in the text. ‘Just text me his contact number, and I’ll pass it over to them.’

   ‘That’s good to hear.’ I reply. ‘What about your issue?’

   ‘Ah, that. Well, it’s still not going well. She’s still made at me, but she said that she’ll forgive me once I bring her to 5 dates.’

   ‘Well, looks like she’ll remain angry with you.’

   ‘What? Why is that?’

   ‘Have you ever planned a date before?’

   It took him quite a while to reply this message. When it eventually came, it was mostly gibberish.

   ‘You’re right! What do I do? I’m doomed!’ was roughly the parts I manage to understand.

   ‘Just calm down. There are lots of suggestions on the internet. Just get some ideas from there.’ I suggest.

   ‘You’ll help me when I’m stuck right? Right?’

   ‘How about you rely on yourself every once in a while?’

   ‘I’m asking for your help because I can’t!’

   One week later, Maeno returns to the restaurant. And he brought his wife with him. According to him, his company has been doing well after signing a partnership contract with the Shinohara Constructions. That gave him enough confidence to ask his wife to come back to their house. They had been getting along well ever since.

   His wife, who looks like a mild-tempered woman, bows at me.

   ‘We can never thank you enough for introducing such a huge client to my husband.’ she thanks me.

   ‘Please, you don’t have to thank me so much. I only introduced them to each other. They decide to partner up with your husband’s company because they were trustworthy.’

   She bows at Miiko next.

   ‘I’ve heard from this lecher of a husband that he gave you some hard time. I’m really sorry for that.’

   Wow, he actually told her. That take guts.

   She glares at her husband.

   ‘Well what are you waiting for? Apologize to her again!’ she demands.

   ‘O-oh, right.’

   With that, he also bows at Miiko in apology.

   ‘Please raise up your head. I wasn’t bothered by it at all. Really!’ Miiko says to the wife hurriedly.

   In the end, it took her quite a while to convince them that she didn’t really mind.

7