Popularity Poll 3rd place Winner: Iseri Ayano (5)
179 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   The announcement came out of nowhere. It was an ordinary evening at February. As usual, I was hanging out at Bittersweet Loaf since it was my off day. I thought something was off since senpai looked kind of nervous.

   ‘Is something wrong, Ayano-senpai?’ I couldn’t help but ask.

   ‘Well, remember when we were talking about our dreams and stuff?’ she begins rather hesitantly.

   ‘Yes?’

   ‘Well, I gave it a few months’ worth of thinking, and I’ve finally decided. I’m going to be a baker.’

   ‘Oh. Good for you.’

   ‘There’s more, though. I’m thinking of going to France in order to become better.’

   A few seconds of silence.

   ‘I see…’

   ‘I’m sorry for asking you this difficult question. I really am. I’ve talked to my parents and my teacher about it. All of them supported my decision. Now it’s just you. So, what do you think?’

   ‘Before I answer you, will you still love me even though we’re far away from each other?’

   Her face starts to blush, and she looks like someone on the verge of losing her temper until she saw my serious expression. She slowly nods her head.

   ‘Of course I will.’

   ‘Thank you. I love you too. Second question. Do you believe the rumor that long-distance relationship will not work out?’

   ‘That’s the part I’m worried about the most. I definitely don’t want to break up with you, but I’m still scared.’

   I grasp her hands with mine and pull them up until they’re around the same height as our jaws.

   ‘I’ll be sure to come visit you whenever I have the time.’ I assure her. ‘Once every three months, or even once per month if necessary.’

   ‘Don’t! Do you know how expensive the plane ticket is? And I’ll be gone for at least 2 to 3 years!’

   I shrug since I don’t care.

   ‘I got lots of money saved up.’

   ‘Well keep them instead of wasting them like that! Visiting me twice or thrice per year is good enough for me, okay?’

   ‘...Okay. I’ll also make sure to call you everyday.’

   ‘I guess that much is fine.’

   She then hugs me. I hug her back gently.

   ‘I’ll make sure that my love for you will never diminish no matter how long we’re separated.’ she promises me.

   ‘I’ll promise you the same thing.’

   ‘Oh, I’m not so sure about you…’

   ‘Whatever does that mean?’

   ‘I always saw you being surrounded by other girls at school. I’m pretty sure that at least one of them has a crush on you.’

   ‘Senpai, that doesn’t matter at all. You’re the only person I love in the entire world. That will never change.’

   ‘...Do you really mean it?’

   ‘Of course.’

   ‘Wow, I didn’t know you could say something that embarrassing without dying on the inside.’

   ‘Believe me senpai, I’m already dead a long time ago. An embarrassing line or two isn’t much of a big deal, particularly when I’m serious about it.’

   ‘Still, I’m real happy about it.’

   The oven chose this moment to tell us that the bread inside it is done cooking. We let go of each other at once.

   ‘So, what kind of bread did you make tonight?’ I ask her as she’s putting on her oven mittens.

   ‘Well, if you must know-’

   We spent the remaining time pretty much the same as we usually do, even though senpai will be graduating and leaving the country in two months time.

   When it’s finally time for her to graduate, her friends are crying their eyes out. Senpai and I, on the other hand, aren’t fazed at all. They spent some time taking pictures and exchanging words with each other before finally leaving us alone. After making sure that we’re indeed alone, senpai plucks out the second button from her blazer.

   ‘Here, take it. Surprisingly enough, lots of people were fighting each other over it.’ she tells me while handing me the button.

   ‘Well, good for you. That means that you’ve become quite popular these past few months.’

   ‘Bah. What do I care about popularity?’

   I take the button and put it inside the most secured compartment of my wallet.

   ‘You better not lose it, or you’ll be getting it.’ she growls threateningly.

   ‘Don’t worry, senpai. I’ll buy a safe so that it’ll never be stolen. Also, I’m making a small shrine inside the said safe.’

   ‘...Now you’re just creeping me out. And remember this, keep your second button for me.’

   ‘I shall protect it with my life once the time comes. That said, I very much doubt there will be anyone who’ll want it.’

   ‘Again, you have no idea how popular you are…’ she mumbles.

   ‘Back to a more serious topic. You’re leaving in three days, right?’

   Her expression got a lot more solemn.

   ‘That’s right. The flight is at 12pm. I gotta be there before 10.’ she confirms.

   ‘I’ll be there to see you off.’ I promise.

   ‘To be completely honest with you, I’d rather you don’t.’ she whispers.

   ‘Why is that?’

   ‘Cause I hate saying goodbyes…’ she whimpers while holding back her tears.

   ‘Um, senpai? Are you, well, crying?’

   ‘I’m not, okay? It’s just that, um, I have sand inside my eyes!’ she says stubbornly.

   I reach out my left hand to pat her head.

   ‘We’ve been through this, senpai. Even if we’re separated, we’ll be seeing each other again.’

   ‘...Yeah.’

   It took a while, but she’s finally calm again.

   Four days later, it’s finally time for Ayano-senpai to leave Japan and head to France. Naturally her parents are there to see her off, not to mention her friends, and finally yours truly.

   Once again, everyone here minus senpai and I are crying like there’s no tomorrow. Senpai’s parents in particular, are crying until we can’t understand a single thing they’re saying.

   ‘Father, mother, the two of you should take some time and calm down first. I mean, we can barely understand you.’ Ayano-senpai tells them after they tell her more gibberish.

   They took her advise and made sure to calm down a bit before finally speaking.

   ‘Be, be safe out where Ayano.’ her father says to her.

   ‘Thank you for your concern, father. If only you didn’t tell me that for at least fifty times while we were on our way here.’ senpai says drily.

   ‘Be sure to call us often. And remember to eat properly.’ her mother says next while doing her best in holding back the tears.

   ‘Mother, you’re just like father!’ senpai complains.

   I’ve met senpai’s parents a few times before. Based on how senpai was describing them before they made up with each other, I thought they were some nasty parents. Turns out they were actually decent people whom really care about their daughter’s future. They’re more decent than mine, at least.

   Senpai’s friends surround her next. Like the parents, her friends are also having difficulty in forming decent conversations since they were too busy crying. Senpai could barely calm them down.

   ‘Well, I guess it’s enough for us.’ one of them tells the others.

   ‘Yup, spend the remaining time with your boyfriend.’ a second one agrees.

   ‘Thanks, all of you. For everything so far. I’ll come back one day. Let’s hang out again when that happens.’ senpai tells them.

   ‘We most definitely will.’

   Even senpai’s parents took the hint and left as well. Her father clasped my shoulder gently right before he left.

   ‘Well, I guess this is it.’ senpai says to me once we’re alone.

   ‘I guess so.’

   She opens up her arms. I dive in, and we hug each other. Three seconds later, I hear her sniffle. Her entire body is trembling too.

   ‘You’re crying, senpai.’ I tell her.

   ‘I can’t help it, okay?’ she sobs.

   ‘I did promise that I’ll go visit you.’

   ‘I know, but I’ll still miss you.’

   ‘I’ll miss you too, senpai.’

   We didn’t maintain the hug for long since it’s almost time for her to board the plane.

   ‘I’ll call you as soon as I arrive.’ she promises as she’s about to drag her luggage bag away.

   ‘I’ll be sure to pick up the phone no matter what I was doing.’

   And with a simple farewell, senpai leaves where we were and heads to the gate where her plane is waiting.

   I didn’t leave immediately. I wait for ten minutes before taking out my phone and call Ayano-senpai with it.

   ‘Do you have something that you’ve forgotten to tell me, Takuya?’ she asks once she picks up the phone.

   ‘As a matter of fact, I do. The thing is, I’ve developed a sudden interest in France. In fact, I’ve been taking lessons on speaking and writing French.’ I begin.

   ‘...Huh?’

   ‘The language is kind of complex, but I’m pretty sure I can master it before I graduate and head to France and look for a kitchen job.’

   ‘Wait, what?’

   ‘That’s all from me, senpai.’

   Coincidentally, I hear the final boarding announcement on the other side of the phone. The number of the plane is exactly the same one that senpai is boarding.

   ‘Oh, dear. I guess you have to get inside the plane now. Remember to switch off your phone once you’re inside.’ I say to cut short the conversation.

   ‘Takuya, wait-’

   I hang up on her and ignore her calls until she finally gave up.

   The flight from Japan to France takes 12 hours, and there is an 8 hours time-zone difference between the two countries. When she called me using LINE, I got woken up by the vibration of my phone since it was midnight. I crawl up from my bed slowly so as I don’t wake up Miiko, and I grab my phone before heading outside to answer the call. I didn’t answer the call immediately, though. I made sure to walk some distance away since I know she’s going to yell at me.

   ‘WHAT DID YOU MEAN WHEN YOU SAID ALL THOSE THINGS YOU SAID BEFORE I BOARDED THE PLANE?’

   And I think I lost some of my hearing.

   ‘It’s as I told you. I’ll be working as a chef at France after I graduate next year. I have yet to find a place that would hire me, but I’ll do my best.’ I explain to her calmly.

   ‘And when exactly did you made this decision?’ she demands.

   ‘Right after you told me that you’re going to France.’

   The next few seconds consists of her breathing really heavily as she’s trying her best not to snap out again.

   ‘So, you made me worry about our relationship for nothing.’

   ‘Yup.’ I say nonchalantly.

   For the next few minutes, Ayano-senpai vent out all her anger at me. It’s the usual like ‘You’re so cruel!’, ‘How could you do this to your girlfriend?’ and so on. Eventually, she stops yelling and starts sobbing, and then she starts to laugh.

   ‘Senpai? Are you broken? I think you might need to see a doctor.’ I suggest to her.

   ‘And whose fault do you think it is?’ she demands loudly.

   ‘Mine.’

   ‘Exactly! Oh, I’m so going to strangle you the next time we meet…’

   Six months pass by in a flash, and I bought a plane ticket to France to visit Ayano-senpai.

   True to her words, she spent the first few minutes right after we were reunited in strangling my neck. She then gives me a hug.

   ‘I’ve missed you so much…’ she whispers at my ear.

   ‘I missed you too, senpai.’ I say to her while hugging her back.

   We let go of each other after a few more seconds.

   ‘Say, have you been practicing on how to speak French?’ she asks me all of a sudden.

   ‘Well, I have. I’m not that confident yet, but I most probably can speak to a local without any worries.’

   ‘Good. I found you a job at a restaurant right opposite the bakery I’m working at. And I told them that you’ll be coming in for an interview today.’

   ‘...That’s rather sudden.’

   ‘You’re not the only one who can give out surprises.’ she smirks.

   ‘Fair enough. I hope we can understand each other.’

   Turns out that my understanding in the French language was far better than I expected. In fact, I spoke so fluently that the Head Chef who interviewed me were very impressed. He agreed to hire me, and I’ll be working with him and his team after I graduate from High School next April.

   ‘How did it went?’ Ayano-senpai asks me once I came out of the restaurant.

   I give her a peace sign.

   ‘I got the job.’ I report.

   She shows me a disappointed look.

   ‘Seriously? And here I thought you’ll have some difficulty in communicating with them and end up needing my help.’

   ‘Well, too bad for you senpai. As I said, I can speak to a local without any worries.’

   ‘Oh, whatever. I forgot to ask you just now. How long will you be staying here?’

   ‘Three days.’

   ‘Drat, and I only got a singe day off.’

   ‘No worries. I can come to your bakery tomorrow and bug you all day. The day after that, too.’

   ‘Don’t you dare!’

   While bantering pleasantly, the two of us hold hands and take a walk around the city.

Epilogue
   ‘Two orders of Prawn Tempura Risotto for Table 5, please!’

   ‘Got it! And here’s the Roast Chicken for Table 2!’

   ‘Thanks!’

   Five years have passed after Ayano-senpai, nay, Ayano and I went to work at France. We were thinking of getting work permit to work here permanently, but in the end we decided that we would come back to Japan since we miss the people there.

   Not long after, the two of us got married, and we took a loan in order to open a bistro that’s part restaurant and part bakery. Not only do we serve fresh bread, but we also have French-Japanese fusion cuisine as the main attraction. We named it “Ayano & Takuya”. Lame, I know, but this is the first name which came up to my mind. Ayano was fine with it, although based on her expression at that time, she was rather reluctant rather than enthusiastic. We hired two kitchen staffs to help me inside the kitchen, while two other bakers were hired to help Ayano at both the bakery side and as waster/waitress.

   ‘Say, dear. I have something to tell you.’ Ayano tells me as we’re closing up for the night.

   ‘What is it, Ayano?’ I ask her curiously.

   She puts her right hand on her stomach.

   ‘I’m pregnant.’

   All our staffs stop what they were doing and gape openly at her.

   ‘I see. Congratulations.’ I tell her.

   She crosses her arms.

   ‘That’s it? What kind of mild reaction is that? Can’t you be more shocked?’ she demands.

   ‘I assure you that I’m more than overwhelmed right now.’

   ‘Well you sure aren’t showing it.’ she grumbles.

   ‘You’re still trying to get me back for what I did all those years ago, aren’t you?’

   ‘I sure am.’ she confesses.

   I look at our staffs.

   ‘See this? Your boss lady is so petty. Make sure you other half isn’t like her when you’re out there searching.’ I tell them.

   ‘Don’t you dare teach them nonsense!’ Ayano chides me.

   ‘Well, it’s true.’

   ‘More importantly, what are we going to name our child?’ she asks me.

   ‘I’m not trying to shift the responsibility, but are you sure it’s okay for me to think of the name?’ I ask.

   ‘...I’ll do something about it.’

   A few weeks later, we found out that the child inside Ayano is a boy. After a few days of deep consideration, she decides to name him Takeshi. There’s a few volume worth of stories related to him, but that’s one for another time. For now, life is good for our family.

   [End of Ayano route.]

6