Popularity Poll 2nd place Winner: Nitta Yuki (3)
134 1 3
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   It’s Sunday, and it’s time to watch over the date between Aomine and Suou-san.

   Man, it’s such a huge pain in the behind. Why do we have to watch over them? Can’t we just let them have a bloodbath right there and then? Why can’t Aomine just grow a pair and tell Sawa and Tsuchida off like I told him to?

   A few days ago, Aomine texted to me that Suou-san chose to hang out at Akihabara. Naturally, it took me a while to see the message since I was at the water park with Nitta.

   ‘Why Akihabara, of all place?’ I asked him by texting him.

   ‘I have no idea. Suou-san was the one who wants to go there.’

   ‘Hmm, that would mean that she’s actually an anime nerd, or the two of you made a promise to go there or something.’

   ‘Before you ask, I can’t remember a thing if it’s the latter.’

   ‘I never expected you to with that brain of yours. And? Are you going to let the lady plan the date?’

   ‘Actually, I insisted that I’ll be the one to do it.’

   ‘Good. I guess there’s some hope for you yet.’

   ‘Oh, I don’t know. My plan may not be in her liking.’

   ‘That’s for her to decide. Just do your best and things will turn out well. Hopefully.’

   ‘Hopefully?’

   ‘It’s best to be pessimistic, or you’ll be crushed if things don’t end up the way you wanted it to.’

   ‘You’re not really encouraging me here.’

   ‘If you think I’m here to provide you with motivations, you’re sorely mistaken.’

   Back to the present. According to Aomine, the two of them have agreed to meet up in front of the station at nine in the morning. I’ve arrived there at eight, but by the time I reach the entrance, I already see Suou-san standing at a corner quietly.

   One look and I could tell that she’s taking this date seriously. She’s all dressed up, and she even went to a salon or something and did her hair.

   Soon, the members of the Love Consultation Club has arrived. Somehow, Nagano managed to drag a sleepy Suzu here as well.

   ‘Please get ready to give me a piggyback, Takkun…’ she mumbles to me groggily.

   ‘No way. Walk on your own.’

   ‘Aww~.’

   Even Nitta is here, which is really surprising considering her busy schedule.

   ‘Are you sure it’s okay for you to be here?’ I ask her.

   ‘No worries. Yayoi-san helped me to take care of my schedule. I’m free until this evening.’ she says with the voice of Setsuya.

   Her changed voice surprised the others.

   ‘That’s so amazing~! Did you use a voice modifier?’ Suzu asks with sparkling eyes.

   ‘Nope, I can change my voice without one. That’s one of the perks for being a singing idol for so long.’ Nitta says while grinning.

   ‘It must be useful when you need to hide from the public.’ Nagano notes.

   ‘Totally. This place is kind of crowded today, so I figured that I need to disguise my voice too. And oh, call me Setsuya while I’m in this disguise.’

   ‘...What’s with that weird name?’

   ‘Hey, it’s not weird okay? It took my quite a while to come up with that name!’

   ‘Um, sure.’

   Soon, it’s eight-thirty. Aomine is yet to be seen.

   ‘Where on earth is he? How dare he makes a lady wait!’ Nagano grumbles angrily.

   ‘To be fair, being way early than the agreed time is just a courtesy, not a necessity.’ I tell her.

   ‘I know, but he could have come earlier anyway!’

   There are a lot of people who’re passing-by the entrance. Thankfully, no one is hitting on Suou-san. I could save her at a short notice, but I would prefer it if she doesn’t know that we’re here.

   Around ten minutes to nine, Aomine has finally arrived.

   ‘Have you waited for long, Suou-san?’ Aomines is heard asking Suou-san.

   We’ve picked the right hiding spot, so we can hear him clearly enough.

   ‘Damn right we have.’ Nagano grumbles.

   ‘Oh shush. He wasn’t asking you.’ I tell her.

   ‘I’ve just got here.’ Suou-san replies.

   ‘I’m glad to hear it. I would be so guilty if I had to make you wait.’

   Suou-san only laughed quietly at that.

   ‘Well, let’s get going.’ Aomine tells her.

   ‘Yes.’

   They started to walk, and we follow them while being discreet. Almost immediately, there’s already a problem. Instead of matching her pace like a normal person should, Aomine is walking faster than her. She had to walk faster to catch up to him.

   ‘Is it okay if we go to some bookstore?’ he asks her without even noticing that he just messed up.

   ‘Of course. Let us go.’ she replies nonchalantly.

   ‘That was a major point deduct. What’s he thinking, walking faster than the girl?’ Nitta comments.

   ‘I know, right? He should watch his surrounding more, especially the girl whom he’s on a date with.’ Nagano agrees.

   Still, none of it mattered to Suou-san. She’s so smitten with Aomine that she’s smiling ears to ears by just being with him.

   They head to a bookstore nearby the station. I find it odd that Aomine chose a bookstore of all places, but it’s probably part of his plan. We made sure to stay away from them, but we also made sure that we’re close enough so that we can hear their conversations.

   ‘Is there anything that you want to buy in particular, Shigeru-kun?’ I hear Suou-san asking Aomine.

   ‘Actually, I was hoping that you could recommend something to me.’

   There was a single second of pause.

   ‘...Me?’ she asks.

   ‘Yes. You did mention that you love to read light novels and comics, right? I want to try reading a few too.’

   ‘But, they might not be to your taste.’ she warns.

   ‘It’s fine. I trust you.’

   ‘Well, if you insist…’

   They spent a good hour going around the bookstore choosing light novels. To avoid getting seen, we had to constantly hide from them. From the way we’re being shady, it’s a real miracle that no employee called us out. Eventually, Aomine chose two novels and paid for them. They then leave the bookstore.

   For the next few hours, the two of them take their time in walking around the Electrical Street. Shops that sell anime goodies, bookstores, they went in most of them. So far, the two of them are enjoying themselves, although Aomine made a few mistakes every once in a while.

   ‘The two of them are here~.’ Suzu warns all of a sudden.

   We got alert at once.

   ‘Where are they?’ I ask.

   ‘Inside the train station~.’

   ‘And their estimate time of arrival to this location?’

   ‘7 minutes and 5 seconds.’

   I waste no time in taking out my phone and message Aomine. The girls surround me so that they could see what I’m texting.

   ‘Sawa and Tsuchida are here. Whatever your plan is, abandon it and go somewhere that’s hard for people to look for you. If possible, stay there for hours.’ I write.

   Right after I sent the message, Aomine stops and takes out his phone. His expression slightly darkens after looking at the screen for a few seconds.

   ‘Easy for you to say. Where am I supposed to go?’ he writes back to ask.

   I look around and sees a cinema.

   ‘Go inside the cinema and watch a movie. It’s normal for a date anyway.’ I text.

   ‘Got it.’

   ‘Do you think it will be easy to make Sawa-senpai and Tsuchida-senpai give up on looking for Aomine-senpai and Suou-san?’ Futaki asks after I put down the phone.

   ‘I doubt it. From the descriptions given by Aomine, they sound like real persistent people.’ I say.

   ‘So, are we supposed to tell Aomine-kun to end the date early?’ Nagano asks.

   ‘I guess that’s the only way.’

   ‘No, it’s not! Why should they run away? They didn’t do anything wrong, right?’ Nitta objects.

   ‘What do you propose then?’

   Nitta was about to open her mouth when my phone vibrates. Aomine sent me a message.

   ‘Suou-san wants to talk to those two.’ the message wrote.

   ‘How did she even find out about them?’

   ‘I told her that I wanted to watch a movie, but I was probably acting too suspicious, and she grilled me for the truth.’

   ‘You idiot.’

   ‘I know, I know. So what now? I can’t exactly say no. She’s glaring at me as I’m typing this message.’

   ‘Shall we let them meet?’ I ask the girls.

   ‘Definitely. That was my proposal anyway.’ Nitta agrees.

   ‘I agree with Setsuya-senpai. All of them should sit down and talk things out.’ Futaki says.

   ‘Come out of the cinema.’ I write to Aomine.

   ‘Got it.’

   And so, Aomine and Suou-san comes out of the cinema. I have to say, Suou-san isn’t exactly surprised to see all of us, or Nitta and I for that matter.

   ‘We’re so sorry for tailing the two of you.’ Nagano tells her apologetically.

   Suou-san shakes her head.

   ‘Shigeru-kun explained things to me as best as he could. I don’t blame you people. Or him either. I understand that all of you want us to have a good time. But I want to have a firm talk with Yumeji and Keiko.’

   I raise my eyebrow.

   ‘You sound like you know them.’ I ask her.

   ‘I do. And they probably remember me as well.’

   I look at Aomine. He shakes his head.

   ‘Well, I guess that makes thing easier. Or worse depending on how all of you act when the talking begins.’ I decide.

   ‘Speaking of which, where are they now?’ Suou-san asks.

   Silently, Suzu points at the general direction of the train station. As if on cue, two girls are heading here while walking really quickly. They notice Aomine and hasten their steps, their expressions twisted in anger and jealousy.

   ‘So, are those them?’ I ask no one in particular.

   ‘Yup.’ Aomine confirms.

   ‘I’m sure they’re a couple of civilized people.’ I observe drily.

   It took them less than a minute to reach us. I don’t know which one is Sawa and which one is Tsuchida. The important thing is that the two of them are glaring at Aomine like he murdered their father or something. The former child actor, on the other hand, are trembling in fear from the deadly gaze.

   ‘It’s been a while, Yumeji. Keiko. It’s been a few years, hasn’t it?’ Suou-san greets the two of them coolly.

   The two girls stare at Suou-san, probably wondering who’s this random girl. Then, their eyes widen in recognition almost at the same time.

   ‘Is that you, Usami?’ one of them asks.

   ‘That’s right, Keiko.’ Suou-san confirms.

   ‘Wow, I almost couldn’t recognize you.’ the other one, whom I can confidently say is Sawa, says in awe.

   ‘I could say the same to the two of you. In a good way, of course.’

   ‘What are you doing with Shigeru, Usami?’ Sawa demands.

   ‘Exactly! We haven’t see you in ages, and ye here you are, having a date with Shigeru-chan like it’s the most normal thing in the world!’ Tsuchida says while on the verge of shouting.

   ‘Listen, ladies. Having a bloodbath while standing onthe street is probably a bad idea.’ I tell them.

   The two of them glare at me.

   ‘I don’t know who you are, but stay out of this!’ Sawa tells me.

   ‘Exactly! This is between us and Shigeru!’ Tsuchida agrees.

   Suou-san clears her throat.

   ‘Oh, right. And Usami-chan too!’

   I cross my arm and stare back at them coolly. Unlike Aomine, I’m not intimidated by them at all.

   ‘I know this has nothing to do with me, but don’t you think that it’s a bad idea to start something while standing in the middle of the street? You know, because of all these people?’ I remind them while putting on a as-a-matter-of-fact tone.

   It was then that they finally notice the gathering crowd.

   ‘...Fine, we’ll settle this at somewhere quiet.’ Tsuchida agrees reluctantly.

   ‘Where should we go, though?’ Aomine asks.

   That I have no idea. I can’t think of a place that could fit this many people and allows a shouting match. Wait a second…

   ‘How about a karaoke place? That place has god privacy.’ I suggest.

   No one has any objection to my suggestion, so I use my phone to search for the nearest karaoke place.

   ‘There’s one nearby. It’s a five minutes walk from here.’ I inform.

   ‘Well then, what are you waiting for? Bring us there.’ Sawa instructs.

   I put down my phone.

   ‘I’m not exactly telling you to watch your words, but I’m definitely not going to listen to you if you’re going to be haughty.’ I tell her coldly.

   She looked like she was about to argue when she saw my expression. Again, I’m not Aomine. I’m not an easy pushover.

    ‘...My apologies. I take back what I just said.’ she apologizes.

   ‘Much better. Now then, follow me.’

   None of us spoke while we were heading there. We passed by quite a number of people, and all of them were wise enough to give us a wide berth, considering the fact that some of us is in a really bad mood.

   When we finally got to the karaoke place, I asked for a room big enough for all of us. The receptionist noticed the tense atmosphere, but like the others whom we passed by, she was wise enough to keep herself out of it. All of us paid for our share of the room, and the receptionist told us about the general direction of its location.

   The size of the room is quite decent, and considering the event that will take place in it in just a few minutes, I sure hope it has good sound proof feature so as not to disturb the other patrons who’re here to have a good time.

   Sawa, Tsuchida and Suou-san spent the first few minutes in arguing over who’s going to sit beside Aomine. In the end, it’s decided that Aomine and Suou-san will be sitting together, and Sawa and Tsuchida will be sitting opposite them. I guess this is appropriate since Aomine is basically the defendant here, and Sawa and Tsuchida are the prosecutors. The rest of us are trying our best in making ourselves comfortable.

   ‘So, what were you doing at Akihabara? With Usami, of all people too.’ Sawa begins by asking Aomine coldly.

   ‘Well, we were, um just hanging out with each other.’ he replies nervously.

   Sawa’s expression got even more frosty. Don’t even get me started on Tsuchida.

   ‘Indeed? And who gave you permission to do that?’

   ‘Say Yumeji, are you or Keiko actually dating Shigeru-kun?’ Suou-san asks Sawa.

   ‘No, we’re not.’

   ‘Then neither one of you actually have the right to question who Shigeru-kun can or cannot befriend.’

   Sawa glares at Suou-san. Suou-san stares back impassively.

   ‘Stay out of this, Usami!’ Sawa hisses.

   ‘I refuse. Shigeru-kun agreed to go on this date with me. The two of you should read the mood and leave immediately.’

   ‘Why, you…!’

   ‘Do you think they sell popcorn here?’ I ask Nitta with a soft voice.

   ‘You need to read the room too, Bandou-kun.’ she whispers back.

   ‘How could you, Shigeru? If you want to hang out, you already have me! Am I not enough for you?’ Tsuchida asks Aomine while being on the verge of tears.

   Aomine looks at the floor for a few seconds. Just as I thought he’s going to chicken out again, he looks at Tsuchida with a firm expression.

   ‘I would rather not hang out with someone who seeks attention by faking memory loss.’ he tells her in a soft but firm voice.

   Tsuchida lets out a gasp of horror.

   ‘You’re still bringing that up? I thought I already apologized!’

   ‘And I don’t ever remember forgiving you for it.’

   Another gasp of horror. Unfazed by what he just said, Aomine looks at Sawa next.

   ‘And then there’s you, Yumeji. You said you love me, and yet you went out with that jerk senpai. I find it hard to believe in anything you say after that fiasco.’ he tells her.

   Boy, he’s finally manning up. I’m so proud of him. And on top of that, Sawa’s angered expression is a real sight to behold.

   ‘How dare you, Shigeru!’ she demands. ‘I know what’s best for you, so you should just pipe down and obey my every words!’

   ‘What are you saying, Yumeji-chan. I’m the one who’s most suited to be at Shigeru’s side!’ Tsuchida tells her.

   ‘How dare you, you thieving vixen! That role should be fulfilled by me!’

   ‘No, it’s my role!’

   ‘No, mine!’

   Suddenly, Nitta gets up from her seat.

   ‘Have you ever asked about what Aomine-kun wanted?’ she asks the two arguing girls.

   ‘I don’t know who you are, but stay out of this.’ Sawa tells her firmly.

   ‘Exactly. Shigeru may have retired from being a child actor, but he still needs someone proper at his side. That role is definitely not for her, who left all those years ago.’ Tsuchida agrees while pointing at Suou-san.

   ‘Keiko here may be an idiot, but for once she’s right. As a writer, I’m the one who’s most suitable.’ Sawa adds.

   ‘Hey, who’re you calling an idiot! And I’m the only one who’s worthy of standing beside Shigeru!’

   ‘In your dreams! It’s-’

   ‘ENOUGH!’ Nitta shouts.

   They’re rather taken aback by the snap. In fact, we all were. And Nitta was so caught up in this she forgot about changing her voice.

   ‘So what if Aomine-kun was a former child actor? He has every right to decide who he wants to hang out with!’ Nitta demands.

   ‘No, he doesn’t. he has a talent. As such, he should use it to the fullest. Usami simply has no such qualification to watch over him.’ Sawa replies in a matter-of-fact.

   ‘Again, who asked you for your opinion? Have you ever asked about his opinion on this matter?’

   Sawa looks at Aomine helplessly.

   ‘I prefer to be around Suou-san than the two of you. And she’s right. I’m the one that’s going to decide who my friends are.’ Aomine tells her.

   Upon hearing that, Sawa grits her teeth. I thought she’s going to cause more ruckus, but she just stood up and left. Tsuchida is weeping openly now. Her too, stood up and left. There was a few seconds of awkward silence before someone spoke again. It’s Nitta.

   ‘I’m sorry for butting in to your conversation, Aomine-kun.’ she apologizes to Aomine.

   ‘It’s fine, Nitta-san. You just took the words right off my mouth, that’s all.’

   It was then when she finally realized that she’s not using her fake voice anymore. She sits down and claps her hand once.

   ‘Well, the two of you should continue with your date. As for the rest of us, let’s have a singing session. We might as well, since we already paid for this.’ she declares.

   ‘We’ll be joining you.’ Suou-san decides.

   ‘We are?’ Aomine asks.

   ‘Come on, Shigeru-kun. It’s only for a while. You know I’m a die-hard fan of her.’

   ‘Well, if you insist…’

   That was the most awkward karaoke session I’ve been part of, and that’s including the one I was also part of after Nitta got her heart broken by her childhood friend Furuta Naoki.

   And on the next day, Nitta Yuki, the most popular idol in Japan, lost her voice.

3