Popularity Poll 1st place Winner: Yoshinaga Suzume (5) + some final words
304 4 8
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

   Suzu called me that same night. She told me that we’ll be flying to America this Friday night. That’s two days from now.

   ‘That’s kind of sudden.’ I note.

   ‘Sorry about that. My father’s schedule only allows him to see us on Saturday, and only for a few hours.’ she said to me with a serious tone.

   ‘Why on earth does it sound like an appointment rather than a visit?’

   ‘Well, that’s how my father is. He cares more about his work.’

   ‘Say, is it okay if I slug him?’

   ‘It’s tempting, but please don’t do it. It would be bad if you end up getting arrested.’

   ‘Fine, I’ll be sure to refrain myself. I’m just glad that I renewed my passport last week.’

   Suzu didn’t speak for a few seconds.

   ‘...Um, Suzu? Why are you being so quiet all of a sudden?’

   ‘Sorry Takkun, I just remembered that I have a rather important business to take care of. I’ll be seeing you tomorrow.’

   ‘You know, the passport won’t be renewed in a single day.’

   ‘I know that, Takkun. I have to try anyway. See you tomorrow.’

   When I got to school the next day, Suzu doesn’t look the least bit worried.

   ‘Let me guess, Serizawa-san has already taken care of the passport for you?’ I ask her.

   ‘Sure did. He renewed it without my knowledge last month.’

   ‘Must be nice to have such a responsible person as your butler.’ I mumble.

   ‘Sure do. Don’t worry Takkun, you’re still my number one.’

   She tries to pat my head with her tiny hand, but she can’t reach it since she’s a lot shorter than I am.

   ‘Bend down Takkun~! I can’t reach your head~!’ she chides.

   ‘Don’t worry, you’ll grow up one day.’ I say as I pat her on the head.

   Her cheeks puff up like a squirrel that stuffed its face full of sunflower seeds.

   ‘Stop treating me like I’m a kid~!’

   I take out a piece of candy from my shirt pocket with my free hand and hand it to her.

   ‘Do you want this?’ I ask.

   She snatches it away almost immediately. She then gasps as she realizes that she has fallen to my trap. Her cheeks puff up even bigger. I grab her head as she’s trying to hammer me with her fists.

   ‘Let me hit you, Takkun~! Just once is fine~! No, make it twice~!’

   ‘No.’

   ‘I’m begging you here, Takkun~!’

   ‘You sure don’t act it.’

   On a side note, Kanae is drooling while frantically writing something down on her notebook. I can bet you anything you want that Suzu and I are being used as her source of inspiration for her manga.

   Friday comes by in an instant. Once school’s over, I return to my apartment so that I could make one last check before I head to America.

   ‘Have you got everything, onii-chan?’ Miiko asks as I’m checking the content of my luggage bag.

   ‘Sure do. I’m only gone for three days, so I don’t need too many things.’

   I inspect my passport again next. Yup, it’s been renewed to last for three more years. I check my wallet next. They contain a number of American notes.

   ‘Do you want me to get you something while I’m there?’ I ask her.

   She thinks about it for a while.

   ‘Some black tea leaves would be nice.’ she eventually says.

   ‘Got it.’

   ‘And oh, I would also love it if you end up bringing back a nephew or a niece for me.’ she adds slyly.

   Wordlessly, I smack her lightly on the head.

   ‘Ow!’

   ‘A girl shouldn’t say that kind of things.’ I chide her.

   She sticks out her tongue in an apologetic way while rubbing her head with her hand.

   ‘Are you saying don’t want to make a family with Suzu-senpai, onii-chan?’ she asks mischievously.

   ‘Seriously, since when did you become such a little devil? As for your answer, I do.’

   She looks surprised at my answer.

   ‘Oh, so you do.’

   ‘Not now, anyway. We’re too young for that, and I haven’t ask her opinion of it. Not to mention that we haven’t received the blessings of her parents.’

   ‘Fair enough, I guess.’

   For obvious reasons, I didn’t bring up my parents. And I’m really grateful to Miiko for not bringing them up either.

   When it’s almost time to head to the airport, I drag my luggage bag behind me and stand at the door.

   ‘Well, just be careful while I’m gone. If something happened, tell a reliable adult, or just call the police.’ I tell her.

   ‘You too onii-chan, be careful when you’re traveling abroad.’

   After saying a simple farewell, I leave the apartment and head down to the car park where Serizawa-san’s car is waiting for me. The boot has already been slightly opened, so I open it completely and put my luggage inside it right next to another luggage bag that I assume belongs to Suzu. Once that’s done, I open the back door and goes inside the car.

   ‘Good evening Bandou-sama.’

   ‘Good evening Takkun~.’

   ‘Good evening, you two.’

   ‘Are you ready to go to America?’ Suzu asks me as Serizawa-san begins our journey to the airport.

   ‘Sure am. And you?’

   ‘Not really.’

   ‘Hey, you wanted to do this.’ I remind her.

   ‘I know, I know.’

   I pause.

   ‘Say, haven’t we had this conversation somewhere before?’

   ‘I think so. Can’t really remember when and where, though.’

   ‘I guess it doesn’t really matter. Anyway, I’m really grateful that you took care of Suzu’s passport for her. I can’t imagine what would happen if you weren’t there.’

   ‘Please think nothing of it. I was already used to take care of the mess caused by ojou-sama whenever she was being a scatterbrain.’

   ‘You’re being kind of mean, Seri-seri.’

   ‘But it’s the truth.’

   ‘And you’re as mean as ever, Takkun.’

   Suzu and I pass the time by bantering with each other, with Serizawa-san joining in every once in a while. Around an hour later, we’ve finally arrived at Narita Airport.

   ‘Do you have your passport with you?’ I ask Suzu as Serizawa-san is helping us to unload our luggage bag.

   Wordlessly, she shows me the red booklet.

   ‘And the tickets for our flight?’

   ‘We don’t need those, Takkun~.’

   ‘Why not?’

   ‘That’s because we’ll be flying in a private jet.’

   ‘...Oh, right. I’ve kept on forgetting that your family is rich. So, which gate are we going to?’

   ‘Please follow me.’ Serizawa-san tells me.

   As Suzu and I are following Serizawa-san, I notice that Suzu is once again making heads turn. The person herself, on the other hand, isn’t noticing that she’s being the center of the attention since she can barely keep up with her butler.

   ‘I’m saying this upfront. I’m not going to piggyback you.’ I tell her.

   ‘How about princess carry~?’ she wheezes.

   ‘Nope.’

   ‘Oh come on~.’

   ‘Please do your best, ojou-sama.’ Serizawa-san encourages.

   ‘We have a private jet. Why can’t you get one of those Segway so that I don’t have to suffer like this, Seri-seri~?’

   ‘It is too impractical as it can only be used by one person.’

   ‘A buggy, then~. Oh, speaking of which…’

   A buggy that has the passenger capacity of seven person passes right by us, and it’s completely empty minus the driver’s seat. Suzu waves her arms like a possessed person so that she could get the driver’s attention. Upon noticing her, he stops the buggy.

   ‘Would you like a ride?’ he asks us.

   ‘Yes, please~!’ Suzu begs.

   ‘Hop on, then.’

   ‘Whew, thank the heavens~! You passed by at the right time~!’

   And so, we received a free ride to our destination. Once we’re there, we got down and thanked the driver.

   Compared to the other gates, the one we’re in isn’t big at all. It has six benches at the waiting area and that’s about it. There isn’t even a security check area. Outside it, there’s a small plane parked at the side. I assume that’s the private jet we’re riding.

   ‘I wish the two of you a pleasant flight.’ Serizawa-san tells us while bowing.

   ‘Are you not coming with us, Serizawa-san?’ I ask him.

   ‘I’m afraid not, sir. I still have to take care of the Yoshinaga household, after all. As such, I will be leaving ojou-sama to you.’

   ‘Yeah, leave her to me.’

   He bows again.

   ‘I wish you good luck, sir and miss.’

   ‘Yup, we’ll definitely need it.’ I mumble.

   Suzu and I head to the private jet. Two air stewardess are waiting for us at the base of the removable staircase.

   ‘Are you perhaps Bandou Takuya-sama?’ one of them asks us.

   ‘That’s right.’

   The two of them bows at me.

   ‘We have been expecting you, sir.’

   They look at Suzu next.

   ‘It has been a while, Suzume-sama.’

   ‘Sure has~.’ Suzu agrees.

   Yup, totally not surprised that they know each other. For all I know, the entire flight crew, even the pilots in charge of flying the plane, are hired to be the Yoshinaga family’s personal crew.

   We follow them to ascend the stair while holding our luggage bag. I gave Suzu a hand and carried hers too since she was struggling with it.

   The plane isn’t very big just as seen from outside, but it sure looks luxurious. Upon closer look, all the seats are so wide you can actually lie down on then, and they’re made of high-quality leather.

   ‘Please leave your luggage to us and take a seat. We will be departing shortly.’ the air stewardess who spoke first just now says to us.

   We did as she said and chose the seat at the most front before sitting down. Meanwhile, the two air stewardess drag our luggage bag to somewhere at the back.

   ‘Do you know how long is the flight from here to America?’ I ask.

   ‘Around 13 hours.’

   ‘Wow, that’s really long.’

   ‘Yup, and I would spend most of those time sleeping~.’

   After waiting for some time, the plane is finally moving. A few more minutes later, it lifts off to the sky. A voice is heard from the intercom. The captain introduces himself and confirms what Suzu told me: that the flight is going to take 13 hours. He also said that dinner will be served soon. Lastly, he wishes us a pleasant journey and turns off the intercom.

   I look at Suzu. She’s already sleeping.

   ‘Hey, didn’t you hear the captain? Dinner will be served soon.’

   ‘I’ll wake up when the food is here, then.’ she mumbles.

   When we finally arrive at America, the local time is six in the evening. Suzu and I thank the two air stewardess for their services and leave the plane while dragging our luggage bag behind us.

   ‘So, are we supposed to go out and get a cab or something?’ I ask Suzu.

   ‘I have no idea.’ she says unhelpfully.

   I roll my eyes.

   ‘Let’s just go outside first. Hopefully, someone is already sent to wait for us.’

   Thankfully, that someone is holding large piece of paper which has our names on it written in black marker pen. The person holding it is a blonde elderly man with blue eyes. It’s like he’s the western version of Serizawa-san.

   ‘Suzume-sama and Bandou Takuya-sama, correct.’ he asks us with fluent Japanese when he sees us approaching him.

   Suzu and I nod.

   ‘Good day to you. I am Andrew Birkins, a butler employed by Suzume-sama’s father Takahito-sama and Ashley-sama.’ he introduces himself.

   Seriously, what’s with rich people and elderly butler?

   ‘Are you going to bring us to them right now?’ I ask him.

   He nods his head.

   ‘We will be heading to the hospital that Ashley-sama resides in right away.’

   Well, it’s a good thing we already had our meal at the plane. Suzu and I follow Andrew-san to his car. After that, it’s another agonizing journey as my jet lag has started to kick in.

   ‘Please feel free to take a small nap. The jet lag must be taking a toll on you.’ he tells me while looking back from the rear-view mirror.

   ‘I’m fine, thank you.’ I decline.

   Suzu has already fallen asleep, but I can’t afford to do the same. I don’t exactly trust this butler, and I can’t relax until we actually reach Suzu’s parents.

   We’ve been on the road for more than an hour. Finally, we reach a huge hospital. I lightly nudge Suzu.

   ‘Wake up Suzu, we’re here.’ I tell her.

   ‘Mmm…’

   I had to shake her a few more times before she finally wakes up. Even after that, she could barely walk. While supporting her, I follow Andrew-san to enter the hospital.

   Since it’s already nighttime, there are barely any people inside it. I could barely see any staffs either. I guess it’s a good thing for a hospital to not be busy. Then again, it’s probably because this place is so huge, and the area we’re walking by isn’t the busy zone. After walking for quite some time, we’re finally here.

   ‘Please try not to shout while the two of you are inside.’ Andrew-san tells us with a soft voice.

   ‘Understood.’

   I open the door and find myself looking at a huge room enough to let at least six patients stay inside. At the right middle corner of the room is a queen-size bed. On it is a Western woman who looks a lot like Suzu. Standing at the side of the bed is a Japanese man.

   I close the door quietly after Suzu got in. The man and the woman are staring at us quietly. Well this is awkward.

   ‘Come here, Suzume.’ the woman calls out.

   Wordlessly, Suzu goes to her. Immediately, Suzu’s mother gives her a tight hug.

   ‘Oh, my precious Suzume! I’ve missed you so much~!’ she cries.

   Suzu, on the other hand, is flailing from the hug.

   ‘Please let go of me, mother…’ she says while trying her best to break free.

   ‘I refuse! I haven’t met you for almost two years now, remember?’

   …Wow. The personality of these two are like night and day.

   ‘Now now, Ashley. We have another visitor here, so save your hugs for now.’ the man says to Suzu’s mother while looking at me.

   She let goes of Suzu at once.

   ‘Come closer, please.’ she says while beckoning at me to come closer.

   I do as she says.

   ‘You’re Suzume’s boyfriend Bandou-kun, correct?’ she asks me.

   ‘Yes, ma’am.’

   ‘My my, to think my Suzume has found herself a boyfriend. She has really grown up.’

   ‘Our daughter won’t remain a child forever, Ashley.’ her husband grunts.

   ‘Of course I know that, dear. Then again, this girl was always an introvert, so I was always worried about her.’ Suzu’s mother continues while stroking her daughter’s head affectionately.

   ‘If you’re that worried about her, why did you left her all alone in Japan?’ I ask her.

   ‘There’s nothing I love more than staying there with her. Unfortunately, a certain someone has imprisoned me here.’ she replies while glaring at her husband.

   ‘Hey now Ashley, “imprisoned” is such a strong word.’

   ‘Is it really? I seem to remember telling you that I want to go back to Japan and live with our girl numerous times.’ she growls.

   Suzu’s father shows the expression of someone who’s caught between a rock and a hard place.

   ‘Father, I need to tell you something.’ Suzy says all of a sudden.

   ‘...What is it, Suzu?’

   ‘That’s no way to talk to our daughter, dear!’ Suzu’s mother chides.

   Suzu’s father takes a deep breath.

   ‘I’m sorry for sounding aggressive, Suzume. What is it that you want to tell me?’ he starts over.

   ‘I’m lonely. I want the two of you to move back to Japan so that all of us can live together again. And before you ask, no, I don’t want to come here to America instead. I have friends there. I don’t want to separate with them.’

   ‘You’re being very selfish here, Suzume.’

   ‘I know. But I think I have the right to be at least this selfish.’

   Suzu’s father sighs. He closed his eyes, probably trying to come up with a solution to this.

   ‘What do you think, Bandou-kun?’ Suzu’s mother asks me all of a sudden.

   ‘Um, I think I should stay out of this. I’m an outsider, after all.’

   ‘Nonsense! You’re Suzume’s boyfriend, aren’t you? Of course you have a say in this.’

   ‘She’s right. Just speak your mind, Bandou-kun.’

   ‘Well, if you insist so much, then I’d say that there’s no reason for the two of you to move back to Japan. From what Suzu told me, the disease Ashley-san has isn’t going to harm her unless she overworks herself, correct? As such, she doesn’t have to be hospitalized.’

   ‘You’re absolutely right.’ Suzu’s mother says. ‘Isn’t he, dear?’

   ‘But Ashley-’

   ‘No buts. I’ll promise or even swear on my very own life that I’ll never work again, and that’s all the compromise I’ll do.’ she says firmly.

   Her husband sighs again.

   ‘...Fine, I give up. We’ll move back to Japan the day after tomorrow.’

   ‘Did you hear that, Suzume? You must be very happy!’

   ‘...Not really.’

   Suzu is being expressionless as usual, but I could tell that she’s overjoyed.

   ‘Well, the two of you must be suffering from jet lag. I’ll have Andrew sending you to our house here to get a good night’s rest.’ Suzu’s father says to us.

   He looks at his watch.

   ‘And I have to go to a meeting.’

   ‘Don’t push yourself too much, dear.’

   ‘Don’t you worry. I know what I’m doing.’

   Andrew-san gave the three of us a ride. Let’s just say the ride was awkward, with none of us saying anything until the car reaches a simple house.

   ‘Use any guest room as you see fit.’ Suzu’s father says to us.

   ‘Thank you sir, and good night.’

   ‘Good night, father.’

   ‘Yes, good night you two.’

   ‘So, are we going to sleep on the same bed~?’ Suzu asks me once the car is gone.

   ‘I don’t mind at all, but I’m kind of worried about how your father would react to that. As such, let’s just sleep separately.’

   ‘Aww, you’re no fun~.’

   ‘Say what you want. I don’t want to risk ticking him off before we’re married.’

   She kissed my on the lips without warning.

   ‘Then make sure to earn lots of money so that you could afford a house of your own, okay~?’

   ‘Yeah. I’ll definitely do my best.’

Epilogue
   ‘Takkun, I want some snacks~.’

   ‘Get it yourself.’

   ‘Takkun, I need some water~.’

   ‘Get it yourself.’

   Five years have passed since that minor incident. I didn’t bother to go to college and went straight to work. As a result, I managed to save up quite a lot of money, even though I allowed Suzu to be a jobless bum. I’ve already moved out of the old apartment and moved to a new one together with Suzu. As for Miiko, she has moved back to our hometown after she has graduated.

   ‘You promised that you would spoil me, Takkun~!’

   ‘I’m pretty sure I didn’t.’

   ‘Boo, you’re such a bully~!’

   ‘Alright, alright. Just give me some time.’

   I got the things she wanted, along with something extra.

   ‘...Say Takkun, what’s this tiny ring box doing in the middle of my snacks?’

   ‘Gee, I wonder how that got there. I’m pretty sure I locked that up and promised myself not to give it to you until you’ve learned on how to be independent.’

   ‘That’s pretty much never.’

   She takes the ring out of the box and puts it on her ring finger.

   ‘Does it look good on me?’

   ‘Sure does.’

   ‘Ehehe~. I love you, Takkun~.’

   ‘I love you too, Suzu.’

[End of Suzu route]

Well, this is the final chapter of the series. For those of you who have stick to the very end, thank you very much for your support. Some of you may already know this from reading one of the more recent comment, but I'm not really going to write the routes for the rest of the girls unless I have the time for it. Until then, please be understanding. It would be great if you would check out my other series and/or join my discord server: https://discord.gg/EwHe2y3Q9k . That's all from me. Thank you very much.

8