Cultivator Bestiary: Stone Blossom
459 3 10
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Type: Spirit Plant

Form: Flower Patch

Energy Usage: Earth Qi (Major)

Weaknesses: Wood qi (major), water qi (minor)

Location: Can be found at the bases of trees in qi-rich forests and caves

Body Description: Stone Blossoms are quite strange plants. On the surface, three large, brown petals about the size of a child's palm hang loosely from the stem. Before blooming, the petals resemble lumpy stones, which is where they get their name. The stem is another interesting part of the flower; thick bulges coat the stem towards the head and the roots while the center is thin and weak. Then there are the roots, with their shallow reach into the soil. In a large patch, the inner sanctum of the stone blossom roots tangle around the roots of trees they go around, which can make them hard to harvest. In smaller patches, they hold on tightly to buried pebbles or large clumps of dirt for protection.

Behavior: Unlike most spirit plants, stone blossoms don't shy away from any nearby activity. If a cultivator that does not practice earth-based cultivation and has a notable aura stays nearby for a significant amount of time, the petals will flare up and close, like a reverse bloom. If a cultivator that does practice earth-based cultivation and has a notable aura stays nearby for a significant amount of time, the petals will curl towards them, almost as if the flower wants to suck up the qi within the cultivator. There is no clear distinction in behavior when a mortal is nearby, however. An interesting thing to note, though, is that when exposed to sunlight for upwards of an hour, their petals start to crack and harden, turning from a deep, vibrant brown to a dull grey.

How to Spot Them: Stone Blossoms grow primarily on the edges of shadowy places. In a forest, patches grow at the bases of trees, particularly Stationary Ents; they absorb the earth qi the demons shed when cultivating. If a cultivator stumbles upon the cave of a spirit beast, they'll likely see a patch of these growing by the entrance.

How to Harvest Them: A cultivator - or mortal - must be very careful when harvesting a patch of Stone Blossoms. If handled improperly, they will rip and lose most of the qi found in their petals and roots. Using a shovel, although hands will work too, dig a shallow circle around a single flower, about four inches away from the stem. Remove the dirt up to two inches from the stem until the root system is uncovered. Then, gently pinch the flower in the center of its stem and pull it out. Make sure any thick clumps of dirt or stones are removed from the tangled roots before extracting the flower to avoid ripping.

Use in Cultivation: A cultivator can easily absorb the qi stored in the petals of the flower upon extraction. The qi stored in the roots will refill what was taken from the petals until no more is left in the flower.

Use in Alchemy: In alchemy, this particular spirit plant is very peculiar, as different parts of it produce different results. The roots are a major staple in most alchemists' recipes for body refining pills while the petals are used in poisons that cripple internal organs. The stem has no alchemical properties, however, despite its strange appearance.

10