11.2 Austin Uses The Ash of His Enemies to Make Summoning Formations
197 1 6
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

That smile ended up guiding me through the forest, back toward where we'd faced our first Stationary Ent. The fairy hummed a cheery tune as she zipped around. Me? I tried not to have a panic attack as I felt the gazes of whatever tree monsters were around. They wouldn't touch me - I stayed closed enough to the fairy to ensure my protection - but they sure as hell just loved staring hungrily at my back.

"Are we almost there yet?" I whispered, hugging the offering bowl to my chest. I'd brought it to carry the ash since I was sure as heck didn't intend to make multiple trips into the forest.

<Why are you whispering?>

"Because this forest creeps me out!"

She clucked her tongue. <You'll have to have your disciples take care of these things routinely. You can make gorgeous wooden furniture from them, you know. And they're grout for housing, storing qi, and->

"Where are we?" I interrupted. I didn't recognize this part of the forest at all. Although I hadn't been paying close attention, I think I would've noticed the saggy trees with burn marks on them.

<Oh, just a minor scuffle from when I was escorting your little spirit beast around.> The fairy wrinkled her nose as she looked back at me. <And I will not be doing that again. That monkey is surely capable of keeping itself alive.>

"Himself," I corrected. "And he's still-"

<It's a spirit beast, mortal,> she cut me off. <If it's powerful enough to become one, it's powerful enough to be able to duck and dodge around these tree demons. Enough with your worries!>

She turned back around before I could argue and zipped ahead. I heard the telltale creak of a branch reaching out to me and ran before it could catch me.


We reached our destination shortly. A lot of time had passed since we - well, the fairy - fought the Stationary Ent, but the slight tinge of smoke still hovered around in the air. The body of the dead tree monster caught my attention as soon as I caught up with the fairy.

All that remained of it was a stump; ash coated the grass and even some of the trunks and branches of nearby trees. It had been a very tall tree compared to the others around it.

I whistled at the sight. "Your blue fire sure is something."

<It gets the job done, yes,> she said smugly.

Having already said my compliments, I didn't bother boosting her ego further and set to scooping up the ash. I bent over and pushed a good amount into the bowl. I packed the ash in tight, pressing down on it to make more space. The bowl wasn't deep, but it was a little larger than shallow.

Once it was filled, I turned to the fairy and held out the bowl. She swooped over and stuck her finger in the center. Pulling it back out, she rubbed her fingers together and sniffed the ash. Smiling, she nodded at me.

<Good quality demon ash,> she said. <It'd be better if we left it to rest for a few more days, but it'll work for our purposes.>

I breathed a relieved sigh. "Can we leave now?"

<Come!>

6