Chapter 7: Unintended Consequences
3.5k 6 96
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.
Announcement
Sorry for the late chapter(for those who care). I have 3 pieces of news for you. The first one is that this might be the normal upload time because some things have been occupying the time I used to use for writing. The second one is that a cover is finally being made!!! The cover might be finished by next week but I'm not so sure. My friend who I am collaborating with has agreed to also do this novel's art such as character designs and possible scenes in the future. Keep in mind that he is not a professional nor do I have the means of commissioning any professionals. The third one is that chapter frequency might possibly drop temporarily over the course of next week because I will be facing the dreaded exams. I will do my best to write chapters, but if I fail to make any, then I will compensate by making extra chapters when I can. Wish me luck and please treat me well


??? POV

'W-w-what! What is this power! This! This is what I have been searching for all along!!! Finally, after all these years, after all the mocking for my 'useless' research, I finally have something to show for. Kekeke!!! I can finally show fools the fruit of my research!!!'

"Marcus! Prepare for the ritual. Use all of the funds to hire at least 5 A-classes and 10 B-classes. We will leave in 10 days." (???)

"Yes master. If this worthless one may ask, why now? I thought you had said that the searching ritual would only show results 2 years from now?" (Marcus)

"Keke, that is a good question. The reason why things are proceeding ahead of schedule is because our target had experienced a large amount of growth. The ritual was originally meant to find untapped potential, therefore, needing a longer amount of time to locate the target, however, the target's potential had been stimulated and had thus made it so that its presence was easily picked up by the ritual. 

Thanks to this, we were able to cut down on costs since the searching ritual cost too much to maintain. I believe that I have told you that if things had moved according to the original plan, we would have only been able to hire normal bandits." (???)

"But master, doesn't that mean that the target is strong now? Won't it be dangerous?" (Marcus)

"That is true, however, I had already prepared a contingency for that." (???)

'I then looked at the black container in my hand. Kekeke, this isolated curse can only be resisted by swordmasters and archmages and can only be cured by  S-grade potions and high ranking church officials. If I recall, the village that the target lives in doesn't have any of those. I had been wary due to the ex-adventurer who had arrived with her husband 12 years ago but a B-class won't be able to do anything about this. Kekeke, with this, I am finally able to achieve my goal. Kekeke, my research is finally bearing fruit.'

A messy disorganized desk could be seen in the laboratory. Even though several papers are scattered on top of the desk, one paper seems to stand out. 'Harnessing Future Potential' written by me. Finally, this endeavor can no longer be called fruitless and a waste of time by my colleagues. Kekeke, I will soon show them the prowess of the 'weakest black magician'. 

11 days later

Riel POV

'Hmm? Something doesn't seem right. Waitwaitwait nooooooo!!! I see the sun!!! Oh no, I'm gonna get beat!!!'

I then quickly change into the clothes we wear for training. As I begin to run out of the house, I see my mom in the living room casually sitting on the sofa. I then begin to prostrate before her and ask for forgiveness for waking up late. 

"Hmm? Ah, there's no more training from today. You can go ahead and keep training by yourself but I won't force you to." (Mom)

"Ah!" (Riel)

I had finally remembered yesterday's events. I had turned 7 and coincidentally had become a swordmaster. It was after mom had said that we would stop training because my skill with the sword was stagnating and would no longer improve. I had then snapped and in a fit of rage, swung my sword at mom. She had parried each of my strikes and I was beginning to feel frustrated. But for some reason, I had felt a sudden sensation and started to slowly overpower her. In the end, I had lost, however, I had managed to reach the level of a swordmaster. She said that the only reason I lost was that she was a swordmaster for a longer amount of time than I was. She also said that I would eventually surpass her. I thought that this was absurd but she looked serious so I didn't refute her.  

"Anyways, now that you're a swordmaster, I can't teach you anymore." (Mom)

"But aren't you a more experienced swordmaster? Can't you teach me still?" (Riel)

"Nope. A swordmaster can't be taught by anyone other than himself." (Mom)

"What do you mean?" (Riel)

"Once a swordsman experiences enlightenment, he becomes a swordmaster. This enlightenment cannot be achieved by just anyone and the enlightenment comes in different ways and is unique for everyone meaning that no two swordmasters are the same. This is common sense. However, what only a small amount of people know is that each swordmaster's path is determined by the enlightenment that they have experienced. A hypothetical example would be a swordmaster who experienced enlightenment while surrounded by fire having a fighting style that resembles flames. This is why swordmasters can't be taught by anyone else." (Mom)

"But I don't know what my enlightenment was." (Riel)

"Neither do I. Think about it like a second enlightenment." (Mom)

Interesting... It seems that this was more complicated than I had thought. But what triggered my enlightenment? I can only remember being angry and frustrated that I wouldn't be able to become a swordmaster despite having to experience all those horrible things. Is it anger? No. I have a feeling as if anger isn't the right answer. It's fine. I still have two more years until the attack happens. Still, I wonder what it is.

1 day later

??? POV

'Kekeke, I can now clearly sense the presence of the target. Kekeke, I wonder what his expression will look like when I kill everyone he knows and loves in front of him. I just can't wait till I get my hands on him and slowly but surely take his life away. Nothing can possibly stop me now! His life will become mine and I will rule over the world. I should at least make him a grave with his family. I mean, it's the least I could do for my "benefactor". There's no way that they are able to win against the "dark mercenaries". Despite being called mercenaries, they are more like combat slaves that are rented for an amount of time. They feel pain but do not even flinch when their limbs are cut off. I'd have to pay extra money if they come back dysfunctional, but if this operation is a success, then it's a worthy investment. Kekeke, I will become the strongest person that will ever exist!!!'

Riel POV

"W-w-why aren't you affected by the curse?" (Robed figure)

W-what is this? Is this a dream?

"No curse can affect me while I have this necklace, now tell me who you are and why you're here!" (Lady)

Who is that lady? Wait, is that mom?

"Shit! Whywhywhy!!! Why is the world so unfair!!!"              (Robed figure)

The robed man started panicking until he suddenly stopped and showed a sinister smile.

"Kekeke!!! The world sure is unfair but this time, it has favoured me!!! You actually think you can fight in your condition? How can a mere woman fight while she's pregnant?" (Robed figure)

"H-how did you know?" (Mom)

"Kekeke, I didn't notice it at first, but it's clear that your complexion had been pale and that you had been steadily guarding your stomach. Even the strongest warriors cannot beat the challenge of childbirth. It also seems as if your delivery could happen at any moment. Kekeke, the world has forsaken you!!!" (Robed figure)

Mom is pregnant? Wait no, is this what was supposed to happen? Is this why Mom had died in the game? It all makes sense now.

'Wake up. Please wake up. Please do what I wasn't able to do. Please save them.'

I soon opened my eyes as a terrible feeling spreads throughout my entire body. I quickly grab my sword and yell for my family to wake up. I don't know what's happening, but I feel like this moment could decide my fate.

 

96