Chapter 5 – The adventurer’s guild
444 7 15
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

What can I say at the commotion behind us? I remembered her fan club was actually massive and it remained strong as she graduated from the academy. From there, it just kept growing and growing. Cecilia barely had two years in the academy and already her popularity skyrocketed. Was it like this during my previous life? I guess I never actually took notice. 

From what I can remember, there were even secret fan clubs that only certain fans could get in, such as those that possessed a limited item or belonging. I am fairly surprised that we were still not swarmed by her fans, to be quite honest. Perhaps their etiquette was preventing it from happening. 

Cecilia took my hand as she guided me to where the square was, where a majestic fountain stood in the middle of it. A statue of the goddess was erected in the middle of the fountain to remind us of her ever-lasting blessing. There was a sign that said 'Do not toss your coppers and silvers!', but no one ever follows that. 

From a distance, we could see Johann and Richard talking to a group of students that surrounded their bench. It was a rather lively conversation since everyone was laughing. They also carried their weapons with them, a very typical habit after a few years in the academy.

[That's great! Well, since it's almost lunchtime, why don't we all go have something to eat. We two are going to meet up with Cecilia later so go on ahead!]

[Oh, Cecilia-sama! I want to stay and watch her...]

[We need to go for lunch with the others...see you in school, Johann-sama!]

[Let's talk about magic some other time, Richard-sama!]

When the last few students finally left, they got up and stretched. They groaned as they moved their body around, waving at us when we came up to them.

[Damn, finally. We were sitting the whole way. There were so many topics to talk about that we couldn't leave at all.]

[I see you two were having fun, fufu.] 

[Ahaha, you too Cecilia. Those girls that followed you here can't stop gossiping. Like those hiding around the fountain, why don't you say hello to them?] 

[There will be time to do that when we are back in the academy. Before that, spending time with my family is more important.]

[I'm more afraid of Alicia busting their head with a tray if they try anything.]

Richard closed the book he was reading and looked at me for a moment before continuing. Ah, I just understood what Richard was implying at...

[We heard that some noble's child was attacked by a flying tray while harassing two girls in the cathedral, which we heard was Eliana and Lilia. They both mentioned a flying tray that smacked the boy into the ground. Only you could've done that, since no one who knew about that boy and his family would dare to do such a thing.]

Richard pushed his glasses up, admiring his analysis. Johann agreed and started to rub his chin in thought. 

[Well, Father has already sent the family involved a warning. I suspect the boy will try this again when Lilia is in the academy.]  

[So I assume I can take any measures against him them, Johann onii-sama.]

[If you were planning to break his arms, Alicia, I don't think there's anyone around that can protect you.] 

[It will be the fastest way, no? ] 

I had no qualms in dishing out punishment if needed. The boy, Geniz, belonged to a family of old aristocrats. Their family was infamous for their underhanded tactics, which I got involved in my previous life from time to time. With their family name behind many issues such as demi-human trafficking and such, the adventurer's guild was sometimes needed to investigate. But because of guild master, the issues were never delved deeper into.

[If the boy deserves it, yes. But Geniz so far has not done anything wrong to warrant such a harsh punishment.] 

[Of course, Johann onii-sama. I'll settle for breaking one of his arms.]

[Now wait a second...]

As always, Johann is impartial to a fault. Perhaps that was why he was the most suitable man for the job as Knight commander, leading his own cavalry squad. If I was correct, he could be a general in the future, probably the youngest general in the history. I wonder if he would ever face the dilemma of having to pick between his family and his country. 


Even though we were already done with shopping, we still have some time before meeting up with Felicia. Cecilia suddenly thought of something for us to do while we waited for Felicia to finish up.

[Since there's still some time left, how about going to the adventurer's guild? We could get Alicia started with her license right away.] 

[Good idea, it's better than waiting around here. Alright guys, let's go!] 

Johann took charge and we all headed for the adventurer's guild. As we headed down the street, there were food stalls set up with students and adventurers gathering around.

The food stalls were all busy with their orders, so no one had the time to take notice of us, thankfully. There was just occasionally some students greeting the three siblings. Following the traffic, we soon reach our destination.  

Just outside the adventurers guild was bustling with people, which most of them were students. The moment we gotten close to the guild, a small crowd immediately gathered. I has to twist a few arms to stop them from pushing me. 

[Johann-sama, what brings you here today?] 

[Ahhh! It's Johann-sama!] 

[Good afternoon everyone! I'm just here today to show my sister around. Don't worry, just continue with what you were all doing!] 

[Of course!] 

[Have a nice day, Johann-sama!] 

His charisma was powerful, was it not? 

Inside the guild, there were more adventurers hanging around, having a snack or just drinking. They looked at us for a moment before returning to what they were doing. Johann's presence was very useful here. 

Johann guided us around the place and exchanged greetings with the others as we followed. 

[Here we are, this is where everything happens. Richard and I need to settle some matters about Gilbert's task so we'll meet up here later.] 

So that man is here, huh. Well, I hope that we will not meet him. 

In any case, the guild was the same like I remembered. The old set up with the quest board in the same exact spot. Other than that, the place was much more brighter and well-cared for if I recall. 

Cecilia and I walked towards to the receptionist desk where a elf lady was manning the desk, looking down at the paperwork she was handling. 

Then I felt someone's gaze from the resting area, where a group of adventurers was sitting. There were 4 of them from what I could tell. A warrior type and two-ranged types. The last one was a girl who was either a mage or healer. Somehow, the warrior was dressed like a bandit. Why, I do not know. 

As we approached, her ears perked up and she immediately greeted us. It was a very business-like smile, which was matched with her deadpan eyes. 

[Good afternoon, how can the Cresenberg guild help you today?] 

[Good afternoon, I would like to help my sister here to get her adventurer's license.] 

[Do you have any records that we can use?] 

[Right ..would this crest be enough?]

Her eyes became wide for a moment before returning back to her deadpan look. She appraised the crest before taking out a piece of paper and a device. 

The elf placed the crest on top of the device and activated it with her magic, causing it to glow brightly. 

A few moments later the device stopped. She returned the crest back to Cecilia and placed the device over the parchment and pressed a trigger. 

Words began to form on the parchment and stopped when the device stopped glowing. The lady then took a feather pen from her drawer and started filling the parchment with details. 

Then she looked up and dabbed her pen into her ink bottle. 

[Miss Branstein, I require some information about you. Your name and occupation, please.] 

Cecilia made way for me and because of my height, I could barely see the elf. The elf was trying not to laugh. 


[Alicia von Branstein. Occupation, student.] 

[Alright, the crest has the rest of the information, so that will be fine. Could you place your hand on the device?] 

I did what she told me and gently let my palm make contact with the device. A rush of magic was generated as the device began to measure my 'potential'. 

Depending on the potential the receptionist sees, he or she will allocated the suitable adventurer rank that suits the person. The elf lady's eyes opened up as she examined the data. Her face turned white as she tried to comprehend the data before her. 

[This...can't be for real? What is even a Scorned Princess supposed to be? What is all these information?] 

She grabbed my hand and stare at it for awhile. When she was done, she sighed.

[The test is done. Whatever that has happened shall be between me, the guild master and you, Miss Alicia. Please be assured.] 

[The guild master?]

I was not expecting the guild master... In fact, I never saw her before I came here to register in my previous life. It was a large burly man that was in the pockets of the aristocrats. While I tried to process what has happened, the guild master passed me the card that was created from the device. 

[Due to circumstances, I'll arrange a Rank E card for you. When you have grown a few years older, I can increase your rank. Or if you do not like to wait till then, you can do quests that are a difficulty level higher than your current rank and rank up normally that way.]

[Alright, thank you.]

[That's great, Alicia. Maybe I can grab you along for some quests when your rank gets higher.]

Cecilia congratulated me, as if she was expecting this result. My rank was limited due to the policies of the guild has set, mainly to protect the person from picking a quest that they could not handle. But for my case, it was my age. Even if the guild master recognizes my strength, there was still a limit of how much they could make me skip ranks. 

The lowest Rank given was F, which was the typical rank for everyone when they started out. Doing odd jobs and collecting herbs and materials were the bread and butter for Rank E with the occasional monster hunting. Goblins and Wild boars were the only monsters that a Rank E can usually handle.

For Rank E, there were more options for me to choose from. The amount of coins you receive is generally increased and I have access to the guild bank. Rank Fs do not earn a lot so the bank is rather useless for them to use even if they could access it. The money they earned are usually used right away. Also, the strength of a Rank E adventurer was usually a third-year academy student, sometimes 2nd year if you were strong enough. 

For Rank D and above, I'll go into more detail when I actually reached that rank.

As I pocketed my card, I sense something stupid coming my way. I turned and saw the bandit man snarling at me. Ah yes, the 'bully' the newcomer situation...

[Hey, guild master! Why does this brat get to be Rank E?!]

[Eavesdropping is a habit that I suggest you dropping Bran, or else.]

[Heh, What make this brat so special? Must be those rich-ass family again! We hard working people just can't catch a break can't we?]

[Speak for yourself Bran. I suggest you go away and stop trying to harass newcomers.]

I rolled my eyes and ignored the man. I took a seat and started wiping the card with a cloth and Cecilia watched me, hugging from the back. Our actions infuriated the man and it earned laughs from the adventurers that were watching the show. 

[Hey you-]

The moment he came close to us, Cecilia surprised me. She brandished her sword when the man entered her 10 metre range. Her face was stern and her body crackled with magic. A electric discharge through her magic surged and caused the area around to heat up.

Ah, she became angry. Her eyes turned purple, a part of the side effect that allowed her to use lightning magic. 

I grabbed hold of her arm and pulled on her shirt before she could do anything else. Everyone stood up with their weapons, their expression was tense as the magic influence from Cecilia weighed down on them all. Only the guild master was unaffected by all this, crossing her arms as she watched.

[Cecilia onee-sama, don't. Let's try not to put any more attention on ourselves.]

[Very well... You, my sister has saved your life. If you dare try to come near her again, I'll make sure you'll be dead.]

She sheathed her sword. She would not have taken the man's life if she tried but it was good enough to deter the man. The man called Bran collapsed onto his back and he grabbed onto his chest. He took on the brunt of Cecilia's magic, I was surprised he wasn't knocked out in the first place. His breathing was ragged but he will live, just badly traumatized by a 13 year old girl.

His group came over and helped him up. The man could barely stand and had to lean onto his two companions. The girl tried to heal the man but it barely helped to alleviate the pain he was feeling.

[Gahh, your healing is useless! Go away!]

[I-I'm sorry...]

[Bran, She's trying to help!]

[Get me to a healer!]

The man bellowed as he left the building. The girl started to cry on the floor, her body shook as her emotions tried to come all out at once. Somehow, I regret letting the guy get away. I think Cecilia feels the same way also. The guild master came over and helped the girl up and placed her on the chair next to us. It seems this was a natural occurrence for them, huh. 

I gently patted the girl on the head. It took awhile but she slowly stopped her crying. Once she was done, she stare down at the floor, embarrassed at what she has done. 

[I did it again...]

She mumbled and sighed. 

[Are you ok?]

[Yes! Yes I'm okay!]

The girl nodded. 

[Lily here is an orphan that joined up with Bran's group a year ago.]

The guild master cut in and ruffled the girl's hair, not letting her go when the girl resisted. 

[As you can see, she is of the age when she is able to go to academy. But apparently she wanted to repay Bran and his group. Only Bran so far is refusing to let her go also. Everyone in the guild knows about this issue but really, it's a pain in the first place to communicate with him.]

[Guild master! I just want to repay him...]

[Is this something that concerns us?]

I looked at the guild master and crossed my arms. I do not know why she was telling me this but this felt like more trouble than it was worth. The guild master chuckled and shook her head.

[No, this isn't really a issue that you should be concerned with but I think your timing is perfect. You humans and your contracts...]

The guild master took a scroll out from her drawer. It had the seal of a slave contract that I was familiar with. 

[I see. So your aim is that you want us to bring the issue up with mother.] 

[Yes, Miss Branstein. I do not know who issued this but I'm happy to say that Felicia herself will be happy to receive this particular information.]

 [Signed and examined by Misha...I see. I'll inform her, Misha-sensei.]

[Thank you girls. I'll hope Lily won't be a burden in the academy.] 

[Eh?! Misha-sama?! I didn't agree at all!] 

[Come with me Lily.] 

So now even Cecilia knows her. The guild master smiled at us and dragged Lily away. Poor girl. 

At least I did not have to raise a finger through all that. Cecilia kept the letter in her shirt pocket and turned her attention to me.

[Cecilia onee-sama, I'm okay. Please calm down.] 

[I'm glad. I never thought that my emotions will get the better of me.]

[Um, don't be sad Cecilia, I'm alright, really! Anyway, what about the letter, Cecilia onee-sama?] 

[Fufu. Well Alicia, she's a instructor in the academy for physical combat. Although she never appears unless there is a lesson with her. I heard she is pretty strict in that respect. Also, she's a friend of mother since their school days.]

Maybe Felicia could solve Lily's problem with her position? Cecilia seemed confident enough. With my new and shiny card in hand, we bid farewell to Misha and headed out. Johann and Richard were waiting at the entrance, acting completely normal and natural except for their legs shaking badly.

[Your electric field is quite punishing this time, Cecilia.]

[Yes, Cecilia onee-sama's electric field whacks a punch this time...a warning next time?]

Richard groan in pain as his leg almost gave way. The people that were outside were also feeling the side-effects, leaning against the wall as they wait for the paralysis to go away. While we waited for the two brothers to regain the feeling in their legs, Felicia appeared happily before us, with the sisters following right behind her. Then Fernando appeared with bags in both hands. 

They looked so happy. If it wasn't for their status, they just looked like a happy family living together...

[A penny for your thoughts, Alicia?]

[..It's nothing, Cecilia onee-sama.]

 

 

15