Vol. 3 Chapter 105: Envoys of Peace (Part 2)
479 4 19
X
Reading Options
Font Size
A- 15px A+
Width
Reset
X
Table of Contents
Loading... please wait.

Dammit all! This is all fucked!

Just leave me the fuck alone!

This world had its good and bright sides, but its certainty has its own fuckity fucked pain in the ass bad side. Grrrrr! As mad as I was, it was also a time for panic. Yeah, fucking panic time, panic time!

Those motherfuckers got me! Despicable little shits! Fucking ruined my mood ever since that damn letter. Envoys for peace, my ass. Like oooooh, things were getting good in life, but then life throws you a damn rotten lemon right at your face!

Rambling aside, this was an absolutely fatal problem. This was the last thing I imagined them doing. Fucking ridiculous.

Panic time!

Other nations will come to discover what the Empire was going to do here. And Wisteria had no good justification to just refuse and reject Tornridge. Who wouldn’t want peace? Everyone wants peace, and they’ll do what must be done to achieve it. And this visit from the princes of that empire was one opportunity. To show their deepest sincerity, they made two of their royalty travel to far lands as envoys.

Why don’t we just kill them on the way here? Ha-ha, that would be great. But Wisteria will become the aggressor if not executed wisely. Plus, we’re not really ready for war yet. Far from it.

What could Tornridge be really planning by sending two princes here? Was it truly for peace? Yeah right… Was it to scout out Wisteria, to know their inner workings and get some crucial information? Could be, but really no point in using royalties for that when they already had plenty of spies.

If not for Wisteria in general, then what about for something specific? Something they have failed before. It’s… dammit. They’re really going for this? But this was… this was the worse case scenario. Too risky, too extreme. Was that really what they’re planning? Fuck, then in both endings, they’ll get what they seek from the beginning. No matter how it ends, it begins.

Fuck, despite the turmoil within their own nation, they’re still going for us? Fuckers really got me. They’ll get what they want.

How do I handle this? I was not prepared. Still, was their emperor fucking insane? Who sends their children to hostile territory, especially if what they’re planning is what I think it is?

Too fucking ridiculous. It’s almost unbelievable. Were they confident they’ll succeed? Or their emperor doesn’t give a single fuck how it ends as long as he gets what he wants? Damn, he’s almost as half as ruthless as me. When I get my hands on you, you little shit ooooh, you’ll damn wish you could poke out your own eyes.

Eventually, I’ll get you.

But for the crucial matter at hand, things have changed.

The family gathered at my father's office as I paced around, thinking hard. While the others sat, stressed themselves.

I was utterly restless.

Which reminded me, with the enemies here, we have to be more careful of hiding what we’re doing. Although, if they’re gonna be in the palace, we have nothing to worry about. But still, not completely safe. Especially if things still go through the palace.

We can keep it subtle and they wouldn’t poke into the king’s business, but we’ll never know. Anyone can sneak in, anyway. I have to keep sensitive information away, away from this place. Not only that, with how things are going, everything had to speed up.

“We’ll listen to what they have to say,” Father said.

“Of course, at least, there’s a little, tiny chance they are being genuine,” said Eleden. “But I’ll keep my hopes low.”

“Well, not like they gave room for refusal of reception,” Estevan commented.

Indeed.

“We will need a heavy amount of preparation and discussion with this,” Mother said before sighing tiredly. “Estelia, are you done?”

I paused. “Uh, yes. I think… This changes everything. We need to change things up. Father, brother…” I looked at my father and Eleden. “Let me take over for the meantime.”

“Hm?”

“There’s that much of a change, sister?”

“We only have a couple weeks at least. I must send my new orders out.”

Father groaned. “What do you have in mind?”

“Our preparation for war is still a number one priority. We need to keep going, but pick up the pace a lot.”

“Their time of invasion drew closer than expected then.”

“They made a bold decision, so we can take it as such. It’s like a response to what we did against them.”

“I see.”

“Let me take command.”

I didn’t have time to jump my orders between relays and relays. Let’s get straight to the point and get things moving. Best if we move out now. Every day that passed was important. Father and Eleden in command were for when we were on schedule. It would be fine if that were still the case. However, this was, as I said, panic time. And thus, responses must be quick to keep up with the panic!

Father and Eleden looked at each, and the latter nodded.

“Alright, daughter. You’ll take the lead on this, and we’ll cooperate.”

“Thank you. Now then. Please quickly send a message to Uncle Meril. Tell him to come here today, it’s an emergency.”

***

Later in the day, when Uncle Meril finally arrived, I, Father, and Eleden gathered in the king’s office.

“Uncle, the two princes from the Tornridge Empire are coming for a visit,” I said, remaining standing while looking at him.

Uncle Meril was sitting down on a chair as he answered. “I know. I only got to know about it today too. The consequence of reducing our agents in the field has shown itself, niece.”

“All things come at a cost. In any case, you will be way busier starting from now on.”

“Working already, huh.” He glanced at my father and then at my brother for a moment before returning to me. “Alright, what’s your plan?”

“We need to prioritize Wisteria’s ability to withstand and effectively fight back in an invasion. Therefore, more focus and resources will be allocated to the preparations we have been working on. With those princes coming to the palace, a change in command is crucial.”

Uncle Meril’s brow knitted, puzzled. “I don’t get what you mean.”

“The people in the palace won’t take the lead in the operation. I don’t want critical information flowing inside the palace with enemies present within it. And you, Uncle, I assign you as supervisor.”

He leaned back. “So you mean to say I won’t need to keep reporting and wait for your decision, is that it?”

“Yes, you will be independent. All will depend on your decisions.”

“Are you sure?”

“You’re the only one I can trust with this. I trust your judgment.”

“I see.”

“You will make sure the pace of the process is doubled.”

“Wait, what do you mean doubled?”

“Double the men, double the speed, whatever, just make it quick, best if tripled. Get as much progress as you can. Stack up the logistics, quickly finish the routes, establish as many channels as you can, and teach the ciphers now.”

“That’s… that will need a lot of work. But if we rush this, information leaking will be difficult to hold back.”

“Do what you can. Let’s hope the empire agents will be too busy focusing on the capital and the palace with their royals here.”

With a stressed look, he sighed, placing a hand on his head. “... Alright. You can rely on me.”

“Excellent. Remember, all is up to you. Never go to us while the enemies are here. Who knows what they have to steal information from us.”

“Alright, alright. I’ll make as much progress as I can.”

“Now then, for the documents we have. We will remove documents that have information about our secret operation from the palace. Uncle, find a new place to become your base of operations.”

“Hm, I have plenty of ideas in mind.”

“We have already gathered all the documents. You need only get them. Needless to say, any future documents go straight to you.”

“I really am going to be completely independent.”

Call me paranoid, but no way I’m letting the enemy take any chance. If something can be done to reduce risks, then I’ll take it. Especially if Uncle can do just fine without us. You know what everyone says, and very important: Safety first.

For all I know they may have sneaky spies, ninjas, and shit that can sneak in at night and get the information they need. I fucking hate those guys, so annoying. We have had plenty of those motherfuckers going to some of our bases in the past.

“Yes, so do your best, Uncle. It’s best if you start arranging everything tomorrow. We don’t have time to waste. We’ll give you all the resources we can before the time comes.”

“Yes, yes. I’ll go prepare our base today.”

“Alright. While the enemies aren’t here yet, expect messages or summons from us, and respond immediately.”

“Understood.”

I nodded. “That is all. You’re free to go.”

He rose from this seat, and paused, looking at me with a concerned gaze. “What are your plans with the imperial princes coming here?”

“The plan is to formally receive them as envoys, nothing more. There is nothing to do but see and listen to them.”

He nodded. “I’ll do my part then. You do yours.”

***

It was a tedious process and preparation. But with everyone’s help, and my somewhat strict supervision, we were able to get everything ready a couple of days before we got news that the Empire’s convoy had entered Wisteria’s territory.

After hearing that, we cut our connection basically with Uncle Meril. We’re doing our own shits now.

And eventually, the Empire’s convoy arrived in the royal capital. Knights scattered all over the place, even the city was filled with security.

I went down the stairs, now wearing a formal and beautiful dress that screams out youth. Fancy hanging earrings, and golden hair accessories, along with Rogan’s hair clip, and Mera’s gift on my right wrist. I also showed Eleden’s somewhat magical necklace gift, its gem colored red.

Everyone in my family gathered at the front entrance. As my personal knight, Rogan didn't stray far from me, but still lined up among the knights.

Then… the front gates opened, and the imperial convoy entered.

19